Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Assets [RELEASED] "Sleeping Forest" - Development Thread

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by florianalexandru05, Oct 12, 2015.

1. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

RELEASED
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/49170
    ________________________________________________________________________________________
    Hello and nice to meet you! I believe this is my first paid asset :)
    I'm working on a themed texture set...

The idea and theme came from one of my paintings so this was the general aspect I want to give to the pack:

Tile Textures - still in progress:

Screenshots:

- Tile texture size: 1024px
    - Themes: all seasons and more

They are very muddy at the moment and need more work and detailing regardless of the painterly style I'm looking for so I'm working on that.
    More updates coming along!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  2. GameTechnix

GameTechnix

Hey this looks great! I love the hand-painted look on the terrain. Have you tried painting normal maps, specular maps etc?
    I would like to see how it progresses! well done.

3. Sykoo

Sykoo

Incredibly beautiful!

4. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I am working on a android game to and did texturing before but this is the first time I do painted stuff. Really the first... so I had to look on YouTube on how to paint texture even though I frequently paint 2d art lol.

Screenshots of the game:

There are no normals in these examples as we want to use one shader for everything so it's all baked in the diffuse texture and the normals will be baked in the light maps. It's a third person but I think the batches will be low enough for mobile play.

The painted textures need a bit more detailing. I'm working on them the following days and yes they will come with normals and specular, I planned for a complete pack.

5. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Update! Summer version done!

Finally finished polishing the textures without ruining much of the painted look. They are painted by hand so making normals for them is going to be hard. They turned out pretty good and I think you can be inventive with them. Next I'll work on the other seasons.

6. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Update! Winter version.

You can be just as creative with the snow tiles... Two more seasons to go and it's complete. In the end I might additional toss in some splats...

zenGarden likes this.
  7. Foestar

Foestar

That is turning into one sexy pack. I'm too stubborn to use anyone else assets, but if I was gonna buy one it'd be this.
    Rock on!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  8. antislash

antislash

eye candy !

9. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thank you very much for your replies!

Another update, and I think it's time to call it a day with this one. I won't be making any more season themes but I added a nice extra to the tiles (lava texture). I'll start making the normal maps and it's off to uploading the pack.

Venryx, antislash, Mister-D and 2 others like this.
  10. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

New updates!

Everything is done including normals and height maps. The release is soon but I'm thinking of adding a custom shader to the pack.

Normal map bake (Should've made the normals first, next time I will)

More screensots:

11. mliukka

mliukka

This is looking awesome! The hand-painted look is consistent and nice on the eyes, and the colours in the different seasons match perfectly. Nice job! :)

12. Foestar

Foestar

Very. The snow ones are so on point! The lava is an excellent touch as well.

13. -Singularity-

-Singularity-

Love these, keep it up.

Hopefully you will do quite well, I don't think there are enough quality hand painted textures on the asset store. The ones that are available tend to be 512 by 512 only.

14. Cherno

Cherno

Looks very good. I might have to pick it up when it's released :)

15. richardh

richardh

beautiful.

16. zugsoft

zugsoft

I need something like this for my Orcwar RTS game.

17. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thank you back for all the comments!

Thank you. The textures are 1024 x 1024 px. As painted textures they don't really need more than that since they look good at 512 px and even 256 px so 1024 px was more than enough to show the painted look as I left some places of the texture a lot more loose on the details but detailed enough to look good from a distance.

Example, RaymanLegends4:

The pack is finished, it's going to take a while to get to the Asset Store!
    Edit: Wow, I took a look at your game, you definitely need painted textures for that!

18. Cherno

Cherno

19. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

20. Cherno

Cherno

A fair price for excellent art. I think you would have very good chances of getting a job in the industry with that in your portfolio.
    Did you actualy sculpt the meshes for the normal maps? Must have been a ton of work o_O

21. zugsoft

zugsoft

Just bought it.
    I will make 5 new levels for Orcwar

22. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks! No it wasn't that much work! At first I had no idea how to start doing this so I paint the textures directly. To make a normal I just painted a highmap over the texture then converted it to a 3d mesh after which I sharpen the edges a bit in Zbrush. You can get cavity map from normals by using software such as X-normals for example (screenshots).

To bad, I should of started with the normals first but I still got a authentic painted look to the textures.

Thank you very much for the purchase, I'll be honored to see screenshots of them and good luck with that!

S4G4N likes this.
  23. Cherno

Cherno

That's clever, using a heightmap to generate a mesh and baking from there. Never thought of it.

You could do a Youtube tutorial or two about your technique, including the normal mapping, and get more exposure that way for your asset :)

S4G4N likes this.
  24. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I'll definitely do that when I have time.

I have to apologize I rushed a little with the upload of the painted textures pack because I was under pressure... I didn't even realize the Unity Asset store preview had a fixed px size for images so I just uploaded the screenshot I had on the forum. Well, a bit of my reputation got shattered now...
    Here's a sneak peek on how some environment models look like. Of course they're made for mobile gaming so I'll probably remake everything for high quality gaming. I'll open up a separate thread for that soon.

Old images of the game are above! Of Course there's more to it that this...

25. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thought I'd show how only 4 textures, a high splat scripts and a colormap can look on a terrain with my painted pack.

Colormap

Terrain with 4 hand painted textures

GameTechnix and S4G4N like this.
  26. GameTechnix

GameTechnix

Looks great!

27. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I will be receiving this pack pretty soon. I plan on a update with more content and a lower price!
    I wonder if there's any interest.
    Maybe I'll drop it at 5$ or 4.50$

S4G4N, judah4 and Tiny-Tree like this.
  28. S4G4N

S4G4N

no reason to drop price in my opinion

florianalexandru05 likes this.
  29. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I would like to agree but I feel I should drop the price a little or maybe not? I'm not sure at the moment!
    But I got my computer fixed and am working on the updates now.

S4G4N likes this.
  30. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Update: Started to fix all my old textures (normals height and specular). The pack is now full Pbr and includes all the right maps with roughness.
    I would also mention that I'm collaborating with a 2D artist this time and that there will be a bit more content at a lower price. Maybe it will come with some vegetation models to.

New Updates:

Starting from the second one, it's in wip...

Acissathar and S4G4N like this.
  31. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Been awhile but I'm still working on stuff...

Not long till I'll finish this pack also!

Acissathar and S4G4N like this.
  32. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Having more health problems again so I'm cut down to half the man I should be but I got to finish the pack (did my part) yet I'm just waiting for my 2D artist to finish the last tile. I'm almost done with the classic columns pack to. There aren't supposed to be any models in this textures pack but I decided to add something extra.

going crazy a bit...

S4G4N likes this.
  33. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

The update is done and I'd had a lot more to share but I'm just struggling to set it up for submission because of the fact that I'll be taking a trip these months and I'm really busy.

34. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Final summary! Busy as always but I'll try really hard to submit the updated tomorrow.

judah4 and Acissathar like this.
  35. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

36. Foestar

Foestar

Looks beautiful! I think I'll pick it up once I finish my current project or maybe sooner. This would be a nice addition to my next project since it's very colorful and would fit the themes environment. Plus i'm a sucker for good textures. I'm absolutely horrible at my texture design. :eek::p:confused:

37. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks for the purchase, highly appreciate it that you like my style and I hope it doesn't disappoint! :eek:

38. Foestar

Foestar

Not at all. Actually was surprised by how much was in it. I think this solves my poor texture work problems and instantly made my environment better, which is funny because I purchased it with the intent of using it on my next project and instead already used/implemented it into my current one.

39. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Would like to see screenshots of your project if you agree to post them here one day! :)

40. Foestar

Foestar

Here's a couple pictures showing off the grass and dirt textures along with some foliage from the package. Again, since I'm not the best at texture design myself these have helped me significantly thus far already in my current project even though I purchased them for my next one. These pictures are without the normals as I find I personally like it more for this current project and its style of character.

41. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks for posting. It looks indeed better without normals! Say, wouldn't it be better to add more tiling to the textures? I feel they are a bit big compared to the character but it it's intentional I can't complain.

Foestar likes this.
  42. Foestar

Foestar

Yep you're right of course. lol, it does look waaaaaaaaay better with more tiling. Haha, I'm so used to making things super cartoony with larger texture work. But it definitely made it 10x better.

43. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Just a small suggestion but I think your game could use some more lighting. Is it for mobile? Try adding some ambient or moon light that casts shadows, if you can afford it! It's way too dark in my opinion, hence the sky and foreground look split apart so your visual focus gets distracted on the sky. ;)

44. Foestar

Foestar

Yeah I've been doing more work on and off with the lighting. But I've been steering clear of it for the most part since the Kitty AI has been keeping me busy. But this is the latest I've done with fog and lighting.

45. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017