Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Shader Overview Plugin

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Peter77, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I'm going to deprecate Shader Overview and Shader Overview Pro.
    Please see this post for more information.

Shader Overview provides an excellent overview of all shaders in your project, as well as Unity built-in shaders. It works with Unity personal and professional versions.

Features
    • Shader Overview Pro comes with full C# source code.
    • Lists all shaders in your project as well as Unity built-in shaders, incl. hidden shaders.
    • Sorts shaders by Render Queue, LOD or any other setting.
    • Finds materials and prefabs that use a particular shader.
    • Shows shader fallback and jumps directly to it with one click.
    • Filters shaders by name, path or fallback

Unity Asset Store

Shader Overview
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/16938

Shader Overview Pro
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/10210

Documentation

http://console-dev.de/bin/ShaderOverview.pdf

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Here is the complete changelog for 1.5. I hope the update is available in the asset store soon, will leave another message when it has been approved.
    • New: If a shader is using a fallback shader that does not exist, Shader Overview displays a warning icon.
    • New: If multiple shaders use the same name, Shader Overview displays a warning icon.
    • New: If a shader has no name assigned, Shader Overview displays a warning icon.
    • Fix: Shader, warning and error filter fix. When only shaders with warnings were displayed and a new shader gets a warning, it didn't show up in the list.
    • Fix: Context menu item “Show in Explorer” is now shown as “Reveal in Finder” when running Unity editor on MacOS.
    • Fix: Inactive selection color when using the dark skin, now matchs the color used in Unity itself.
    • Fix: Smarter word-breaking in “shader name” column.
    • Fix: When running in Unity 4.3, some text inside the list was cropped vertically.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Version 1.5 is online now. Here are the changes for this version:
    • New: If a shader is using a fallback shader that does not exist, Shader Overview displays a warning icon.
    • New: If multiple shaders use the same name, Shader Overview displays a warning icon.
    • New: If a shader has no name assigned, Shader Overview displays a warning icon.
    • Fix: Shader, warning and error filter fix. When only shaders with warnings were displayed and a new shader gets a warning, it didn't show up in the list.
    • Fix: Context menu item “Show in Explorer” is now shown as “Reveal in Finder” when running Unity editor on MacOS.
    • Fix: Inactive selection color when using the dark skin, now matchs the color used in Unity itself.
    • Fix: Smarter word-breaking in “shader name” column.
    • Fix: When running in Unity 4.3, some text inside the list was cropped vertically.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/10210

4. tim-unity

tim-unity

Hi

just purchased this, and hitting a problem in 1.5 - screen grab attached

Thanks

Attached Files:

5. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Hi Tim,

thanks for the bug-report. The error says "Illegal characters in path". Do you have any idea what path it could be, I'm certainly interested what characters could cause this issue. What characters do your filenames use, plain ASCII like en-US only or russian/chinese etc?

I'll take a look at this and send you a private message with a download link to an update. Sorry for the inconvenience.

EDIT: Nevermind, the illegal filename characters are probably used in the shadername, so not really an issue. This seems to be an easy fix.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  6. tim-unity

tim-unity

Hi Peter

Ok great - thanks.

7. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Hi Tim,

I sent you an update via private message. Please let me know if it works for you too.

EDIT: Tim confirmed the update does fix the problem and I just submitted a new version to Unity. It was a rather rare issue though. If the name of a shader contains a character, which would be invalid for a regular filename, such as a pipe symbol under MS Windows, Shader Overview crashed. This has been fixed in version 1.6, which is hopefully online soon.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  8. tim-unity

tim-unity

Yep, confirmed works great now. Thanks for the fast support Peter.

9. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

10. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

A new version is available in the asset store now. Here is the changelog for Shader Overview 1.7:
    • New: The search field accepts drag&drop from the Unity project window. This makes it much easier to filter shader by path, no typing needed anymore.
    • New: The search supports basic search operators now: „add“, „or“ and „not“. Screenshot
    • New: If a shader name contains a leading or trailing white-space character, Shader Overview displays a warning icon.
    • New: Added a progress bar while shaders are loaded, which happens when you start the plugin or on playmode changes.
    • New: If a search yields no results, the list displays a note that different search modes are available.
    • Fix: The search mode (Search by Shader Name, Path,, etc) has been lost every time Shader Overview has been closed.
    • Change: Increased the width of the search field.
    • Change: Context menu button „Find References in Scene“ gets disabled when more than one clip is selected.
    • Change: Renamed „Filter by Shader Name“ to „Search in Shader Name“, etc

11. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

An updated version of Shader Overview is now available in the asset store. Please find the changelog of version 1.8 below:
    • Fix: The "Playmode tint" setting in Unity Preferences is now correctly handled in Shader Overview.
    • Fix: The "Color Space" player-setting no longer impacts the icons in Shader Overview.
    • Fix: "Unable to find style '' in skin 'DarkSkin' used" warning sometimes turned the plugin being unresponsive.
    • Fix: Sometimes a "Getting control 0's position in a group with only 0 controls when doing a repaint" occured when the plugin automatically opens with Unity and the Unity "New Version" dialog appeared while Shader Overview was busy loading shader properties.
    • New: Added "Copy Errors and Warnings" button to context menu. It will copy the compiler generated messages to the clipboard.
    • New: Added key shortcuts for a few context-menu functions (Open, Select in Project, Delete)
    • New: Pressing "Enter" now assigns the selected textures to the Unity texture inspector.
    • New: Added links to Texture Overview asset store and forum pages in About Dialog.

Link to Shader Overview in the Unity Asset Store: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/10210

12. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

Great tool man

13. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Thanks for the kind words!

14. Loden_Heathen

Loden_Heathen

This looks like the perfect tool for us; we have several shader resources we offer on the asset store and thus tons o' shaders we manage.

I will have to take a look at this next I am at my main PC.

Do you have any plans for extending this further there are loads things we have been tempted to write a similar tool for given the number of shaders we work against; such as moving groups of shaders i.e. Heathen/Essentials/OccludedRender/Glow/ to Heathen/Glow/OccludedRender/ or changing the label of or defaults of shader parameters on bulk.

15. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I was thinking about it, but it was actually never a real use-case, myself or any person I work with has needed, so I didn't bother implementing it.

16. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Shader Overview version 1.9 is now available in the asset store.

Changelog for 1.9:
    • Fix: Most Unity built-in shaders were missing in Shader Overview.
    • Fix: Executing "Find References in Scene" for a built-in shader caused an ArgumentOutOfRangeException error.
    • Fix: Context menu command "Find Materials in Project" was not displaying a progressbar.
    • Fix: Built-in and shaders created from scripts displayed a non-sense "Last modified" date. These kind of shaders now display "n/a" instead.
    • Fix: Selecting multiple built-in shaders reported a negative "Storage Size" in the bottom infobar. Now it simply displays 0 bytes, because the size is unknow.
    • Fix: Pressing return now properly assigns the selected shader to the Unity inspector.
    • Fix: "Fallback" column now better string-shortens the name when it doesn't fit in the column. For example, rather than "Transparent/Cutout/D..." is now displays "Transparent/../Diffuse".
    • Fix: Icons for built-in shaders were not correctly tinted in playmode using the "Playmode tint" setting from Unity Preferences.
    • New: Added "Find Prefabs in Project" to context menu. It finds all prefabs in the project that use the selected shader(s).
    • New: Added toggle button to toolbar to show and hide Unity built-in shaders in the list.
    • New: Last column sorting information now gets restored when the plugin starts.
    • New: Added "==" search operator to support exact text matches.
    • Change: Decreased contrast of fallback highlight color when using Unity's dark skin.
    Download from asset store

17. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I’m very happy to announce a “Pro” version of Shader Overview is now available in the Unity Asset Store. The Pro version contains the full C# source code to build the plugin.

I thought it would be a nice step to upgrade the existing product to the Pro version, rather than submitting it as a new product, so existing users who bought the plugin prior 8th April 2014, should be able to download the upgrade to the Pro version without any additional cost. This is my way of saying thank-you to all of my customers so far!

I’m also going to submit the regular (non-pro, without source code) version of the plugin to the Asset Store in the next days, which is then hopefully available next week.

Here is the changelog for version 2.0:
    • New: Shader Overview Pro now contains the complete C# source code to build Shader Overview.
    • New: Added "Export CSV" to "Tools" popup-menu.
    • Change: Warning and error icons are displayed as overlay rather than a replacement for the custom/builtin-shader icons now.
    • Change: I replaced third party icons with selfmade ones to not cause any license issues, now that the source code is available and therefore the icons as well.

18. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  19. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Shader Overview 2.1 is available in the Asset Store now. This update contains several bug fixes as well as new features. Here is the changelog:
    • New: Added "Find Prefabs and Scenes in Project" function to context menu.
    • New: Added "Find Usage Results" window, which displays the result of "Find Materials in Project", "Find Prefabs in Project" and "Find Prefabs and Scenes in Project" search operations.
    • New: Added toggle to toolbar to include/exclude hidden shaders (shaders that start with "Hidden/" in their name).
    • Fix: "Find Prefabs in Project" caused an out-of-memory editor crash in some/big projects.
    • Fix: If a shader has a warning and error, the Error filter toggle didn't show the shader, you had to enable the Warnings filter instead.
    • Fix: The arrow icon in the "Fallback Shader" column was missing sometimes.
    • Fix: "Shader Name", "Asset Name" and "Asset Path" columns were using CurrentCultureIgnoreCase for comparison, but it's recommended to compare path names using OrdinalIgnoreCase.
    Shader Overview

Shader Overview Pro

20. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Shader Overview 2.2 is available in the Unity Asset Store now.

This update adds Unity 5 compatibility \o/

Shader Overview now works with Unity 4 as well as Unity 5. Due to shader related changes on the Unity side, the information Shader Overview provides are slightly different whether you run the plugin in Unity 4 or 5. Please see the “Column available…” chapters in the documentation for details.

Changelog
    • Added Unity 5 compatibility. I had to remove some columns and a warning in Shader Overview for Unity 5, which are available in Unity 4. These include the columns: Geometry, Vertex/Fragment Model, Sub Shaders, Storage Size and the warning when a fallback shader is missing.
    • Changed minimum required Unity version to run Shader Overview to 4.3 (previously 4.1.2).
    • Added an “installation window” that appears when open Shader Overview after having imported a new version from the Asset Store. The installation window is responsible to install the proper plugin for your Unity version.

Shader Overview

Shader Overview Pro

21. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

22. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

23. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Shader Overview 2.5 does not work with Unity 2017 beta.
    I'm going to add Unity 2017 compatibility in the next few weeks. I'll update this thread as soon as I've something available.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  24. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I just submitted an update to the Unity Asset Store, which adds Unity 2017 beta 1 compatibility. The update is currently in review and perhaps available around April 24th, if Unity does not find an error during the review process.

25. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

26. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

27. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I'm going to deprecate Shader Overview and Shader Overview Pro.

I'm going to submit an update that adds support for Unity 2017.2 and shortly after that mark the package as deprecated, which means the package will not be visible in the Asset Store anymore.

Customers who purchased the plugin will continue to be able to download the package from the Asset Store.

I've decided to deprecate the package, because sales are pretty much non-existent. Shader Overview is available in store for a little over 4 years and I made sure to always support the latest Unity version. Unfortunately, the effort I have to put into it, to keep the plugin up to date with all the new Unity releases that are coming really fast these days, is higher than what I get in return.

28. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

A new version is available in the Asset Store.

Version 2.7 changelog
    • Unity 2017.2 compatibility
    • Unity 2017.3 beta compatibility
    • Fixed missing Unity 2017.x built-in shaders in list
    As mentioned earlier, I'm going to deprecate the plugin in 5 days from today, around 22nd Oct 2017 depending on your time-zone. See this post why.

29. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I'm a bit sad as it was a very useful tool, thanks for making it.
    Perhaps you can open source it? so we can keep using it even when unity breaks something.

30. io-games

io-games

Omg... just bought before deprecation... and no refund button on asset store...
    it was cool tool

31. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I wish it would be compiled one more time for 2018.

really missing this tool now.

or make it open source so others can update it

32. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

and I know there was a pro versions with source, but I can't buy that anymore and I had only the non source version, now I can't use it anymore in 2018 because dll is compiled for 3.5 and need to be updated for 4. anyway I'm sad.

33. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Sorry, I'm not going to add support for Unity 2018 nor making it open source. When I deprecated the plugin, I made sure it works with the latest version at this time, which is 2017.3 and 2017.4 implicitly. I'm not going to add support for later Unity versions anymore.

Hope you understand.

34. io-games

io-games

I also have lite version. Can I buy somewhere pro version with sources?

35. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Sorry, the tool is not available anymore for purchase.