Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] SE Screen-Space Shadows

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sonicether, Dec 7, 2016.

1. sonicether

sonicether

I don't really know how Sunshine applies its custom shadows. Does it render its own shadow result and overwrite the Unity default one? If that is the case, perhaps this is happening after SE Screen Space Shadows is blending its result. Perhaps changing the execution order of your scripts so that SE Screen Space Shadows executes after Sunshine will help.

RB_lashman likes this.
  2. Nexusmaster

Nexusmaster

Thx for the quick reply! I did some more testing and I think it doesn't show up because the Light's ShadowMask gets disabled when you turn off unity shadows. So, I just have to put the blending somewhere else, maybe as a post effect... the scripting order didn't change anything, (when you disable the unity shadows globally, the SESSS effect is gone. So there must be a connection with the blending.)

RB_lashman likes this.
  3. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

RB_lashman likes this.
  4. Flurgle

Flurgle

This is looking really good.

I read through the thread, but couldn't figure something out.Is point lights / spotlights support possible? (or future feature), Or is it impossible due to the restrictions of screen space?

Thanks,

RB_lashman likes this.
  5. olavrv

olavrv

Does this working in single pass renderning? If not, can you implement support for this?

buttmatrix, SteveB and RB_lashman like this.
  6. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Completely off-topic, but I had to say it: Your game looks (and moves) AMAZING!
    I'm seriously impressed :)

arnoob, Seith, hopeful and 1 other person like this.
  7. sebas77

sebas77

Hello, I wonder if you can make a version that works with 5.3 (I don't remember if we already discussed this option)

RB_lashman likes this.
  8. sonicether

sonicether

There is no way to properly blend screen-space shadows with point lights/spot lights for now, unfortunately.

I'm currently working on this.

Unity 5.4 is the oldest version with the correct CommandBuffer functionality for this effect. Unfortunately, it is the oldest version of Unity that I can support with this asset.

stylophone and RB_lashman like this.
  9. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Hey CODY,

you recommended to use TAA. But TAA is not provided with Unity image effects because of temporal movement jitter bug. Is there any other working TAA available for Unity? Unfortunately didn't found any for Unity.
    Are the shots from UE?

Regards, Q

10. Flurgle

Flurgle

RB_lashman likes this.
  11. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Flurgle likes this.
  12. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

13. Seith

Seith

RB_lashman likes this.
  14. sonicether

sonicether

I'm sorry about that! It was a bit of an oversight on my part, I've forgotten to have the shader not attempt to compile on incompatible renderers (by using #pragma only_renderers d3d11 glcore xboxone ps4 for example). Other than these build errors, does the effect show in builds properly?

Is there any reliable way to reproduce this problem? I definitely want to take a closer look at this. If you could send me a scene that reproduces it, that would make fixing the problem a lot easier for me!

Seith and RB_lashman like this.
  15. Elecman

Elecman

Hi SE,

Here is a video of my finished 2 year project. It features your screen space shadows:

16. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Sure If you send me the Boom (brought 2 years ago) with Fog for testing, I will prepare a demo with all sources to test for you. Use my #SC .

Contribution
    RogerCabo.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  17. Seith

Seith

Thanks! Yes, the effect does show up properly on all those platforms.

RB_lashman likes this.
  18. Lex4art

Lex4art

Btw, feels like shadow frustum bug (e.g. related to standard Unity shadowmaps). Can you add to this scene objects were will be clearly visible standard Unity shadows. If it will disappear too - that means SESSS is just disappearing following Unity shadows...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    RB_lashman likes this.
  19. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Yes, this is a strange behavior. Because you can disable shadows on an object, and SESSS produce shadows on it, because another shadow bounds/caster is in a calculated range, BUT NOT currently visible for the cam. Generally it cause SESSS disable and enable for any uncontrollable reason.

For example a dens grass field (without shadows) with trees. If you walk around between the trees SESSS pops in and out because of the shadow trees.

1) I would like an option have to generally fade out these lets say "micro shadows" from SESSS X meters including a fade range.
    2) An additionally option to ignore unity shadows bounds (or what every its cause to pop in and out).

JBT27 likes this.
  20. hopeful

hopeful

Is this the kind of thing a user can compensate for by putting a tiny shadow casting object behind the camera?

That way Unity shadows are always on.

RB_lashman likes this.
  21. ggXXmastrerz

ggXXmastrerz

Hello SonicEther, the screenshots of your product look stunning! However, I am still a little bit unsure of how this product would contribute to my project, as I am sure many others are as well. Would it be possible for you to offer a trial version for overly cautious buyers such as myself? :p

Please and thank you,
    ggXXmastrerz

22. arnoob

arnoob

Fantastic asset! The performance are great and permit to do great things! Also it works perfectly on a split-screen setup as you can see.

Here the grass and the fps guns meshes are set up to not cast shadows, but they still get shadow from SSshadows.

With a bit of tweaking, this permitted me to have self shadows on the guns that don't get projected on the ground (showing flying arms shadows) while still receiving environmental shadows.
    As well, all the grass get shadows from SSshadows only, wich avoid them creating new shadow casters (just look at the statistics, and I use a GTX770 2go!).

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    punk and RB_lashman like this.
  23. KWaldt

KWaldt

Hey there!

Anyone got it working with transparent (8bit) materials? I have some soft alpha objects in a characters face to ease the transitions, but it looks rather ugly with SSS.
    I tried it with a shader that writes into the depth buffer, but that didn't work either.

Best Regards,
    Kristina Waldt

RB_lashman likes this.
  24. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

The transparent shader does NOT write into the depth Buffer. You need a second Pass or a Proxy object for the transparent Shader that is visible to SSS only.

CODY knows the answer.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    RB_lashman likes this.
  25. KWaldt

KWaldt

@Quatum1000 Huh. Do you have an example shader available?
    The shader I linked seems to have two passes, but if I test it with DoF, I can see that it doesn't actually write into the depth buffer.
    (https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/transparent-depth-shader-good-for-ghosts.149511/)
    [You need to scroll down, it's the second one in the first post.]

Thanks for the heads up that it's possible, though! I appreciate it.
    Maybe someone can shed some light on the details / the actual implementation. The proxy object sounds pretty interesting too, though I don't have a clue on how to do that one.

Again, thank you for your response!
    - KW

Edit: I thought about this a bit and I'm a bit unsure if it's possible at all. Transparent shaders are always a mess when it comes to receiving shadows. I guess I'll see if a stipple shader will do the job for me, or if I can remove the transparent areas from the characters face.
    If it's somehow possible to do with SESSS (because it's depth based or whatever), I'll be glad to hear it though.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    RB_lashman likes this.
  26. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Hey,

SE should answer this, he knows what's going on and can provide a solution.

I know a Shader Developer who would be able to solve this perhaps. But this guy takes money for this work.

There are a lot of problems to solve with transparent objects working with lights and shadows anyway. Also Nvidia and ATI vendors stuck on this complex problem.

arnoob and RB_lashman like this.
  27. runelink

runelink

Hey,

I am getting the same errors as shown in the screenshot. The effect shows in the build but the errors are stopping our automation. Will you release an update with a fix soon or would you be able to send a code snippet with a fix?
    I'm not sure where I would use that line of code you used as an example there, I don't have a lot of experience with shader code.

Thanks

RB_lashman likes this.
  28. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

I will give it a try and find the line number for you to add the code. this #pragma controls what platforms to try to compile for.

just try to add it under the other pragma lines in the shader.

Seith and RB_lashman like this.
  29. 44ffd3

44ffd3

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  30. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Nice improvement I was looking in the old post...

From disable

To Enable

Thanks for the asset!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    buttmatrix and RB_lashman like this.
  31. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

If you want to remove the dx9 errors you can exclude dx9 from the shader.

add this

#pragma exclude_renderers d3d9

under the other #pragma lines

RB_lashman likes this.
  32. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

I did not notice a performance FPS drop. Congratulations! But can you add in the [tooltip] note for each value performance?
    as for example: "Samples" Bigger the value more GPU computational expensive.
    Thx

RB_lashman likes this.
  33. ryschawy

ryschawy

I wonder if it will work together with shadow softener. Any experience? Thanks

RB_lashman likes this.
  34. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

It works with plugins that change the custom shadow property inside the build in shader settings (custom screen space shadow shader) as for example new gen soft shadow

ryschawy and RB_lashman like this.
  35. jwilliamsen

jwilliamsen

In regards to it's function in VR (HTC VIVE) I can say that you will take a noticeable hit on performance, and will probably see some artifacting (the kind of weird sizzle/flicker that occurs with a lot of screen-space effects - usually dependent on head orientation) - but it also makes a pretty huge difference in how "present" a lot of objects look. I have a pretty massive scene going (1400 trees, 92 species of trees, 8GB textures, ~ 3 million triangles in the view frustrum, etc) and it's making enough of an improvement that I want to see if I can gain back the performance loss somewhere else to make up for it being in the stack.

It's not perfect (in VR) but it's pretty good - makes a noticeable difference...I'm hoping it will improve with some time and testing ;)

Without screen-space shadows
    Capture.JPG

With screen-space shadows - notice the noise on the plain-shaded object in the background
    Capture2.JPG

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Lex4art, pixelsteam and RB_lashman like this.
  36. sonicether

sonicether

Hey everyone!

If you're still getting build errors, I'd recommend making the following simple changes. I'll be submitting an update with these fixes, but for now hopefully this will solve your problems.

In SEScreenSpaceShadowsFallback.shader, on line 30, you'll see

float4 vertex : SV_POSITION;

change this to

float4 vertex : SV_Position;

It seems that Unity's ShaderLab language is somehow interpreting "SV_POSITION" as "POSITION" instead of the intended semantic "SV_POSITION". Strangely, if you change "SV_POSITION" so that it's not all-caps, ShaderLab interprets the intended semantic. I'm not sure why this is happening, I don't think this was an issue in previous versions of Unity when I first submitted this asset.

And, as mentioned previously in this thread, in SEScreenSpaceShadows.shader, just add

#pragma only_renderers d3d11

below line 17. This will prevent Unity from trying to compile this shader for d3d9 platforms.

Please let me know if these changes cause issues for anyone so I can make further adjustments before I submit an update.

I apologize for the inconvenience!

37. dawidtheoutsiders

dawidtheoutsiders

Is there a problem with this asset in Unity 5.5.0f3? I made a new project, imported SEScreenSpaceShadows and opened the demo scene and there´s no screen space effect.

RB_lashman likes this.
  38. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Hi there!

I was testing the asset with VR single pass mode and doesn't seem to work properly:

Is there any chance you could support it? It seems to work fine in multiple pass VR.

Also, could fading the shadow in the distance save some computational power (skipping far pixels) while still leaving us the chance to be able to use the effect as a "close detail" effect, blurring it with distance? ::)

Murad-Khafizov and RB_lashman like this.
  39. magique

magique

How well does this asset work with PRISM or Hx Volumetric Lighting?

[EDIT]
    Bought it and seems to work perfectly fine with both assets. Btw, thanks for the build error fixes. I needed those.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    RB_lashman likes this.
  40. pointcache

pointcache

Hi does it work with terrain self shadowing?

RB_lashman likes this.
  41. pointcache

pointcache

The demo scene lags like hell is it normal?

Yeah its due to unity grass, nevermind

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    RB_lashman likes this.
  42. coverpage

coverpage

Used this asset to create slight shadows on otherwise plain grass.

img04838.jpg
    img00163.jpg
    img01929.jpg
    img05539.jpg

43. portaplay

portaplay

Hi, I have some problems getting the shadows to show up between geometry and Unity Terrain.
    On foilage, it works great,
    But on geometry, it does not show up.

Everything is "static" with shadows on (not related, I know, but still).
    I'm using Linear lightning and deferred rendering.

You can see the screenshots attached, where the difference works on the actual model, but not between models and terrain.

Also see the camera + light settings attached

Attached Files:

RB_lashman likes this.
  44. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Just purchased this asset and I must say I am PROUD of it. Finally my characters self-shadow and also too, the shadows under the feet feel like they connect with the world. I REALLY wish this worked with point lights, but I will accept this.

RB_lashman likes this.
  45. ForceX

ForceX

Which version of Unity are you using? 2017.2.0f3 gives an error in a empty scene & with the included demo.

Invalid pass number (1) for Graphics.Blit (Material "Unknown material") with 1 passes)

KRGraphics and RB_lashman like this.
  46. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I'm still on 2017.1... haven't touched Unity in a while

RB_lashman likes this.
  47. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

Could somebody tell me who also owns Next-Gen Soft-Shadows how SE Screen-Space Shadows compares to it in regards of speed?
    Unfortunately I can't purchase SE Screen-Space Shadows just to compare the speed of these two.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

RB_lashman likes this.
  48. magique

magique

I have them both and while I haven't compared them for speed, they are not competing products. They both serve different purposes. NGSS is a shadow replacement system to soften the shadows for a more natural look while SE Screen Space Shadows adds additional shadowing to objects via a screen-space post effect. They actually complement one another.

RB_lashman and OfficialHermie like this.
  49. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

Hmm, unfortunately I understand too little of it. I just took a look at @coverpage 's screenshots and thought that it looks just like NGSS, so I'm actually more confused than before.

RB_lashman likes this.
  50. magique

magique

Think of it this way. Without SESSS, you have less shadowing. For example, you might have grass without shadows and when you turn on SESSS then you have shadowing for the grass using a post image effect. With NGSS you don't get additional shadowing, you just have different looking shadows that have a softer more natural look.

turboscalpeur, Arganth and RB_lashman like this.