Search Unity

[RELEASED] Realistic Eye Movements

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Faikus, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Faikus

Faikus

I haven't heard about that before. I use Mixamo characters a lot as well and don't see that problem. Could you check the console, is there an error message?

2. praesidenter

praesidenter

I can't remember an error message in the console. I'll try to reproduce this bug this evening, but as said before: it appears to happen randomly.

3. praesidenter

praesidenter

So I managed to capture this on a video. On 0:09 you can see the character looking at the player and right after that the head snaps back to the default position and won't move (the eye movements still work though). No errors in the console.

4. Faikus

Faikus

Thanks for the video. Are there any other scripts active on the character that interact with REM? If you could PM me a test scene that shows that behaviour, I'll find the problem.

5. pan-master

pan-master

eye blinking is wrong, Human eye blinking is not a liner interpolation between A-B possition. The eye closes faster than openes, The more nervous person is the quicker eye is opening, the more nostalgic person is the longer it takes for the eye to open itself up
    upload_2017-3-4_15-57-3.png

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  6. Faikus

Faikus

Hi pan-master, you're right, the blinking can be better. I'll look up some more concrete references and implement their findings in a future update.

7. reallypeople

reallypeople

Hi, great asset. We had it working perfectly on IOS, but I'm just starting to try an Android build and am getting an error trying to load the REMsettings.dat file from the streamingassets folder, using the exact same code that was working perfectly on IOS. I'm targetting Android 5.0 and building using unity 5.5.2f1

eyeAndHeadAnimator.ImportFromFile(Application.streamingAssetsPath + "/REMsettings.dat");

This works fine in the editor but not on a connected Android tablet. Any ideas?

8. BlackBox_Team

BlackBox_Team

Hey Faikus, Great work on this. I have been using this asset for a while now but I ran across a weird issue when using it on a character that is walking forwards. It tracks the player object fine for a while but as it moves towards the object the head spins around and looks at the floor behind the character.

Check out the video to see what I mean.

I am using Unity 5.5 and there are no other scripts on that object other than REM. This issue does not appear when the animation contains no forward movement.

9. Faikus

Faikus

Thanks for the video. I'm working on an update that has (among other things) better support for when the character moves. Until then, you can add these lines at the end of the function Initialize of EyeAndHeadAnimator.cs:
    Code (csharp):
    2.             foreach (Transform t in createdTargetXforms)
    3.                 t.parent = transform;
    or you can disable eye animation when starting to move with lookTargetController.ClearLookTarget() and later start it again with lookTargetController.LookAroundIdly().

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  10. Faikus

Faikus

Hi, on Android the contents of StreamingAssets is in the packaged file, so you have to access the folder differently:

path = "jar:file://" + Application.dataPath + "!/assets/";

(from https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/StreamingAssets.html)

11. reallypeople

reallypeople

Thanks Faikus,

I added the following:

if (Application.platform == RuntimePlatform.Android)
    {
    eyeAndHeadAnimator.ImportFromFile("jar:file://" + Application.dataPath + "!/assets/REMsettings.dat");
    }
    else
    {
    eyeAndHeadAnimator.ImportFromFile(Application.streamingAssetsPath + "/REMsettings.dat");
    }

But it's still failing at ImportFromFile when running on an Android device.

The page you linked to says that on Android you need to use the www class to load from the streaming assets folder, so is it possible you could provide an example of how to modify ImportFromFile (and/or CanImportFromFile) to achieve this?

12. Faikus

Faikus

Sure, try this:

Code (csharp):
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using System.IO;
    5. IEnumerator LoadPreset(string presetFilename)
    6. {
    7.    string path = "jar:file://" + Application.dataPath + "!/assets/" + presetFilename;
    8.    WWW loadPreset = new WWW(path);
    10.    yield return loadPreset;
    12.    string newPath = Application.persistentDataPath + "/" + presetFilename;
    13.    File.WriteAllBytes(newPath, loadPreset.bytes);
    14.    eyeAndHeadAnimator.ImportFromFile(newPath);
    15. }
    Just call this with StartCoroutine(LoadPreset("MyPreset.dat"));

13. reallypeople

reallypeople

Thanks, that gets me further, but it's still not perfect.

On the Android device I'm getting a "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at RealisticEyeMovements.EyeAndHeadAnimator.SetMicroSaccadeTarget (vector 3 target global)" immediately after the ImportFromFile

In the Editor, I get a 'SerializationException: serializationStream supports seeking but its length is 0' at the same point.

Does this give you enough to figure out what's going on?

14. reallypeople

reallypeople

BTW I can see the dat file being created in the files folder on the device, and it looks the right size (7.52KB) so that bit appears to be working.

15. Faikus

Faikus

In the editor you would still have to load it the old way, as the Streaming Assets are not in a jar file. So you could do something like this:

Code (csharp):
    2. #if UNITY_EDITOR || UNITY_STANDALONE
    3.    EyeAndHeadAnimator eyeAndHeadAnimator = newCharacterGameObject.AddComponent<EyeAndHeadAnimator>();
    4.    eyeAndHeadAnimator.ImportFromFile(Application.streamingAssetsPath +
    5.    "/mypreset.dat");
    6.    LookTargetController lookTargetController = newCharacterGameObject.AddComponent<LookTargetController>();
    7.    lookTargetController.Initialize();
    8. #else
    9.    StartCoroutine(LoadPreset("mypreset.dat"));
    10. #endif
    As to the error on the Android device, maybe your code creates the LookTarget component before the EyeAndHeadAnimator is initalized? Can you try replacing, in the LoadPreset coroutine, the line

Code (csharp):
    2. eyeAndHeadAnimator.ImportFromFile(newPath);
    with

Code (csharp):
    2. EyeAndHeadAnimator eyeAndHeadAnimator = gameObject.AddComponent<EyeAndHeadAnimator>();
    3. eyeAndHeadAnimator.ImportFromFile(newPath);
    4. LookTargetController lookTargetController = gameObject.AddComponent<LookTargetController>();
    5. lookTargetController.Initialize();
    and delete the code you have in some other place that creates the two components?

16. reallypeople

reallypeople

Thank you so much. Works perfectly in both the editor and the android build now.

17. AVCVGames

AVCVGames

Hi, I just purchased REM and tried to implement in my Mixamo/Fuse model, but unfortunately it's been a lost cause. The problem is my Mixamo model's eyes are labeled "default" (which I changed to Eyes) but even worse, the eyes are not separate objects and REM seems to be looking for these as separate objects. When trying to use the Mixamo preset, here's the error I get:

X_Nurse2 (1): Cannot find path mixamorig:Hips/mixamorig:Spine/mixamorig:Spine1/mixamorig:Spine2/mixamorig:Neck/mixamorig:Head/mixamorig:LeftEye
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object, Object)
    RealisticEyeMovements.Utils:CanGetTransformFromPath(Transform, String) (at Assets/RealisticEyeMovements/Scripts/Utils.cs:25)
    RealisticEyeMovements.EyeRotationLimiter:CanImport(EyeRotationLimiterForExport, Transform) (at Assets/RealisticEyeMovements/Scripts/ControlData.cs:48)
    RealisticEyeMovements.ControlData:CanImport(ControlDataForExport, Transform) (at Assets/RealisticEyeMovements/Scripts/ControlData.cs:747)
    RealisticEyeMovements.EyeAndHeadAnimator:CanImportFromFile(String) (at Assets/RealisticEyeMovements/Scripts/EyeAndHeadAnimator.cs:319)
    RealisticEyeMovements.EyeAndHeadAnimatorEditor:OnInspectorGUI() (at Assets/RealisticEyeMovements/Editor/EyeAndHeadAnimatorEditor.cs:50)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Here's a screenshot of my model's tree:
    REM_Mixissue.jpg
    I'm not sure if there was some setting I should've checked or missed in Fuse or not, but I could use some help here. I also made sure IK was uncheked, but that doesn't seem to have any effect.

18. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

R.E.M. works with Fuse figures.

Make sure your figure's rig is set to Humanoid (import settings), and the Mecanim Animator Controller is set to "IK Pass" (see blue checkmark in this pic)

Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 10.44.57 PM.png

Here's my screen cap from very early in this forum (page 1 or 2) for my Fuse figures. The REM options may have changed but the basics are still there… Most important is to set:
    Eye Control: MECANIM EYE BONES
    Eyelid Control: BLENDSHAPES

Good luck!

pango likes this.
  19. Faikus

Faikus

Hi,

REM doesn't look for separate eye meshes, but for eye bones. In addition to what wetcircuit said about the Humanoid rig, in that same import tab (where you choose between Humanoid and Generic rig), make sure that either "Optimize Game Objects" is unchecked (otherwise it removes bones like eye bones from the game object) or if you want to keep it checked, expose the eye bones.

If the bones still don't appear when you uncheck Optimize Game Objects, then this Mixamo figure wasn't exported with eye bones. I think there is a checkbox in Mixamo Fuse where you can set the number of bones to export, maybe look for that. Otherwise, what you could do is to separate the eye meshes in a 3D program and set REM's eye control to eye game objects instead of Mecanim eye bones. Or you just disable the eye mesh and add eyes from a Unity asset like Eye Advanced.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  20. pjdlh

pjdlh

Hi,

Great asset. Had it working well in another project then updated from asset store last night and imported into project but cant see the Head Transform control in either script so nowhere to reference head and as a result, not getting any head movement...how do I fix this?

21. Faikus

Faikus

The head transform field appears if your character doesn't have an animator or if the rig doesn't have a head bone. Did you add an animator to your character?

22. Alvarezmd90

Alvarezmd90

I have an issue which I think is able to be solved some way. It's just haven't managed to figure it out.

I'm using a LookAtIk component from FINAL IK and it is also moves the body to follow the player. Only then it causes the npc to shake like crazy. When I set the slider of body weight to zero it works normally again. Why is that? I have another scripts attached that does this in the update:

eyeAndHeadAnimator.Update1();
    lookAtIK.solver.Update();
    eyeAndHeadAnimator.Update2();

23. Faikus

Faikus

If you just use LookAtIK and don't need complicated updates between different FinalIK components, you don't need the Update1/Update2 thing (it should work anyway of course, maybe there is something else in your setup that causes the problem), just add a LookAtIK component, set the desired spine objects and set the head/body sliders, and you don't need to call any update functions. Is there a reason you manually call the update functions?

24. betaFlux

betaFlux

Greetings. Does anyone know which variable of the REM look target controller can be used to change the LookAt position dynamically? I've tried "targetPoi" but that does nothing.

25. Faikus

Faikus

If you want to switch the target from one object or position to another via code you can call a method like LookAtPOIDirectly (see the API). If you want to move the target around (without switching between targets), just assign an object (can be an empty GameObject) to the POI list and move that. Let me know if you need any more info.

26. betaFlux

betaFlux

Thanks for the hint, though if I use 'LookAtPOIDirectly(dynamicTargetTransform)' nothing happens. I guess this is because I need to add the dynamicTargetTransform to the POI list, right? It would be nice if you could add a method to make the look target controller work on any Transform/Vector3 without the need to add it to a list first.

27. id0

id0

I made it like that:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using RealisticEyeMovements;
    6. public class InteractivePoints:MonoBehaviour{
    8.     public float gizmoOffset = 2;
    9.     public float pointGizmoOffset = 0;
    11.     public Transform[] points;
    12.     public LookTargetController playerLook;
    14.     void OnTriggerEnter(Collider other){
    16.         if(other.CompareTag("Player")){
    18.             other.GetComponent<LookTargetController>().pointsOfInterest = points;
    19.         }
    20.     }
    22.     //___________Trigger Icon____________
    24.     void OnDrawGizmos(){
    26.         Gizmos.DrawIcon(new Vector3(transform.position.x, transform.position.y + gizmoOffset, transform.position.z), "ITrigger.png");
    28.         foreach(Transform point in points){
    30.             Gizmos.DrawIcon(new Vector3(point.transform.position.x, point.transform.position.y + pointGizmoOffset, point.transform.position.z), "LookPoint.png");
    31.         }
    32.     }
    35.     void OnTriggerExit(Collider other){
    37.         if(other.CompareTag("Player")){
    39.             other.BroadcastMessage("ChangePoints", SendMessageOptions.DontRequireReceiver);
    40.         }
    41.     }
    43.     public void ChangePoints(){
    45.         playerLook.pointsOfInterest = points;
    46.     }
    47. }

28. betaFlux

betaFlux

@id0 Thanks but that's still overkill for my use case. For now I'll just stick with Unity's "Head Look Controller" as it's a single script with a simple 'target' variable. Still, REM will always be one of my favourite assets when it comes to human behaviour simulation.

29. Faikus

Faikus

You don't need to add it to the list, the method should make the character look directly at the transform or position specified. In the demo scene, that method is what makes the character look at an object when you press the corresponding button. If you send me a screenshot of your setup (so I can see the two components LookTargetController and EyeAndHeadAnimator in the inspector and the values they have), I hopefully will be able to tell you what's going on. Also, do you get an error message in the console?

30. betaFlux

betaFlux

@Faikus Sorry, the error was on my side. :-/ It took some time until I realised I had another IK script overriding the head movement. Nevertheless, thanks for the support!

31. Anon32

Anon32

Any updates, progression, direction with the asset?

32. Faikus

Faikus

Yes, there will be new features in the next update like more control over the eyelids. I don't have a concrete timeline yet, but as soon as my client projects will leave me time, I'll finalize it. Stay tuned!

Anon32 likes this.
  33. derkoi

derkoi

Hi,

I'm having issues. I'm trying to set up REM with FinalIK look at but my character looks at the floor:

REM_Issue_Capture.PNG

34. Faikus

Faikus

Did you uncomment the line "// define USE_FINAL_IK" at the top of EyeAndHeadAnimator.cs?

What Final-IK components do you have on your character?

35. derkoi

derkoi

Hi, yes I did uncomment that line.

I just use look at ik from final ik, however I have salsa on there too and my character is an UMA so I followed your instructions in the manual for adding the components at runtime.

36. Faikus

Faikus

I've just set up UMA with FinalIK's LookAtIK, this code works fine if you call StartCoroutine(AddREM(newGO)) with the generated character as newGO:

Code (csharp):
    2.        IEnumerator AddREM(GameObject newGO)
    3.        {
    4.            yield return null;
    5.            yield return null;
    7.            Transform[] spines = {RealisticEyeMovements.Utils.FindChildInHierarchy(newGO, "Spine").transform,
    8.                                            RealisticEyeMovements.Utils.FindChildInHierarchy(newGO, "Spine1").transform };
    10.            RootMotion.FinalIK.LookAtIK lookIK = newGO.AddComponent<RootMotion.FinalIK.LookAtIK>();
    11.            lookIK.solver.SetChain(   spines,
    12.                                                RealisticEyeMovements.Utils.FindChildInHierarchy(newGO, "Head").transform,
    13.                                                null,
    14.                                                newGO.transform);
    16.            RealisticEyeMovements.EyeAndHeadAnimator eyeAndHeadAnimator = newGO.AddComponent<RealisticEyeMovements.EyeAndHeadAnimator>();
    17.            eyeAndHeadAnimator.ImportFromFile(Application.streamingAssetsPath + "/UMA.dat");
    19.            RealisticEyeMovements.LookTargetController lookTargetController = newGO.AddComponent<RealisticEyeMovements.LookTargetController>();
    20.            lookTargetController.Initialize();
    21.        }
    Can you try that and compare with your code and tell me if there still is a problem?

37. derkoi

derkoi

Hi, that works perfectly now. I was using the UMA create bones feature and adding final IK to the prefab, so perhaps this is why.

Thanks for your help.

38. derkoi

derkoi

Whoops, I spoke too soon. Once in my main scene and spawned in I get this error on each character:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  39. Faikus

Faikus

It seems animator.GetBoneTransform(HumanBodyBones.LeftEye) returns null, so either there are not eye bones or the animator doesn't have eye bones assigned to the avatar. Is there anything about your setup that could cause this?

40. derkoi

derkoi

I removed all the bones created for the UMA and then added a 2 second delay to adding the REM scripts and it works without the errors but now the characters are not looking directly at me, they're looking to the side of me. Strange.

41. Faikus

Faikus

Does the head movement work correctly if you just use FinalIK without REM? Also, can you send me a test project that shows the problem?

42. derkoi

derkoi

It seems my male UMA characters have the issues, the females are fine.

Here's the male with issues:

Here's the female which is correct (ignore the male voice, not recorded female voices yet)

43. Faikus

Faikus

Thanks for the videos. That is weird. Maybe something about the UMA setup for male and female is different. It would be helpful if you could send me a small test project that has the problem.

44. derkoi

derkoi

Thanks, I'll see what I can do.

45. superlol

superlol

Hi!
    It seems that the REM script completely overrides the eyes animations.
    For example when I import an animation where the character has the eyes a little closed (like when you look at the sun), the eyelids animations are completely ignored.
    Is there a way to blend together imported eyelids animations and REM?
    Thx

46. Faikus

Faikus

Not right now, but what you could do is to animate the property EyeWidenOrSquint (if your eyelids are controlled by bones) in such situations.

47. Eldurin

Eldurin

Hi, loving REM; works great. Have a feature request. Would it be (or is it) possible to trigger user-configured blendshape or animation changes in response to the player entering the REM character's personal space?

Right now the character can look away if you get too close, but I would like to perform other responses, such as sticking out a tongue, closing eyes, puckering lips for a kiss, or even generating a sound event ("Hey!"). Would that be possible?

48. Faikus

Faikus

Hi Eldurin,

actions that go beyond where the character is looking are outside of the intended scope of the package; but what I can do is to add events that you can subscribe to that are triggered in those situations. In your event handlers you can then activate any blendshapes or make the character say what you want. I will add these events to the next update.

49. Eldurin

Eldurin

Sounds great; thank you!

50. Panzerking

Panzerking

I just bought this last night, and the asset store page says it's no longer available. Is there some info about this?