Search Unity

[SALE 20% OFF] Procedural Nebula

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Xefier, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Xefier

Xefier

20% OFF SALE
    Procedural Nebula Large.png
    Asset Store Link

Documentation

What is Procedural Nebula?
    It utilizes GPU Accelerated 3D Noise to generate virtually infinite nebulae

Compatibility
    VR, Windows, Mac, Android, WebGL

Features
    - Adjust appearance of nebulae
    - Explore nebulae by moving
    - VR support
    - High performance GPU shaders
    - Seed support with caching
    - Mobile friendly versions

Includes
    - Nebula script/shaders
    - Example scenes/prefabs
    - Star skybox
    - Inverse sphere mesh (Low/High Poly)

Video

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Marcos-Elias likes this.
  2. Xefier

Xefier

40% OFF SALE!
    On sale for the 1st week of May!

3. P4p3Rc1iP

P4p3Rc1iP

This looks pretty interesting but the description doesn't say much. Can you tell some more about it?

How do you generate the effect, what's the performance like? And do you have a (web) demo available?

Xefier likes this.
  4. Xefier

Xefier

The effect is generated using custom shaders so it takes advantage of the GPU's power. The only time the CPU is involved is generating seeded permutation tables on startup, which only happens once per seed because it's cached. The full effect involves using 3 layers of materials which might be a lot for low-end GPUs but I have had no performance issues with it. You can also only use 1 layer and tweak the settings to make it run faster on mobile for example.

I don't plan on making a web demo because the contents can easily be decompiled.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  5. ccoltharp

ccoltharp

Hi- looks great from the preview. I have a few questions:

Is it VR friendly? How about mobile VR? How much control over the nebula creation is there? Is it totally randomized? I have a 3d shape I'd like to create a nebula out of. Is this possible? Doesn't have to be perfect, just roughly within the blob. How about multiple blobs within blobs? Thanks!

Xefier likes this.
  6. Xefier

Xefier

It is definitely VR friendly! I was using Space Graphics Toolkit nebulas but it wasn't good enough for my VR game and looked ugly in VR which is why I made this.

There are settings for controlling nebula generation. Later I'll upload the README.pdf included in the asset which details how to customize it.

It was originally intended to be on an inverse sphere but technically you can put it on any mesh, later I'll test it on different meshes and take screenshots of the results.
    What exactly did you have in mind for using blob meshes instead of the Inverse sphere?

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  7. ccoltharp

ccoltharp

I was thinking that a blob mesh could have thicker bits of clouds, based on heavier geometry (instead of a uniform sphere). So if I wanted an area with heavy clouds, I'd put in more polys, but keep large areas of simple polys for a clearer space. In that way I'd be able to control the shape of the nebula. Is that how it works, or is it more procedural?

8. Xefier

Xefier

Oh I see. That approach is not nearly as efficient as letting the shader handle it. The shader procedurally generates regions with varying density (There are thick/thin regions). You can actually explore the nebula by either moving around or changing the offset to discover different mixtures of color and density. Not only that but you can tweak various settings to get the look your are aiming for.

9. Xefier

Xefier

10. coverpage

coverpage

11. Xefier

Xefier

This initial release of Procedural nebula takes a more artistic than scientifically accurate representation of nebulae. Some regions of the generated nebulae do look similar to real life nebulae but don't contain some of the complex structures like crab nebula for example. It does have a layers that simulate simple emission/reflective/dark nebulae though. Future versions may include more complex structures eventually.

12. Xefier

Xefier

Version 1.1 released
    - Improves platform compatibility
    - Created mobile friendly examples

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  13. Xefier

Xefier

Version 1.2 released
    - Implemented quality sliders for nebula layers (Useful for targeting low-end platforms)

14. Xefier

Xefier

20% OFF SALE

15. Mazak

Mazak

Is the source available for Xefier.noise.dll?

16. Xefier

Xefier

Have you already purchased Procedural Nebula? If so I'm curious for what reason you need access to the source code?

17. Mazak

Mazak

I am considering the purchase and I only purchase assets with source.

I have spent over a thousand on assets that are no longer supported.

18. Xefier

Xefier

I see, usually I would be hesitant to provide source code but most of the source for this asset is visible anyway (Such as the shader files).

If you purchase the asset and can prove your purchase by writing a review, then in return I can send you the source for Xefier.Noise.dll

19. Exeneva

Exeneva

Can the nebulae be flown through in 3D?

20. Xefier

Xefier

The video shows flying through the nebulae. But keep in mind the 3D noise is sampled along an inverse sphere at a fixed distance from the player. Which makes it appear like you are flying through the nebulae. This process is already fairly expensive for the GPU so sampling the noise for the entire inside of the sphere would be orders of magnitude more expensive.

Does that answer your question?

21. Exeneva

Exeneva

22. Xefier

Xefier

Oh neat. You could use Procedural Nebula as a colorful backdrop behind your other FX, just make sure the top camera and ship are inside the sphere. The Nebula object can follow the ship (Script provided) so the nebula will change as you fly around resulting in a variety of different colors and patterns in the background as you fly around.

There are also mobile version in-case your game is for mobile.

23. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Could you show a little more in this style? Maybe an animated video?

I am more interested in this "filament" veiny style than the cauliflower clouds...

Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 1.13.49 PM.png

24. zenden_1

zenden_1

Hello, this asset are discontinued ?

And he's working with Unity 2018 ?

25. Xefier

Xefier

When I get the chance I could check it it works in Unity 2018.

26. astromedia-only

astromedia-only

Hi, so ... does this still works in more recent Unity versions? This would greatly help my project but it seems it was not developed for long time and sadly i dont see any alternative.

27. Xefier

Xefier

I've tested it up to 2019.2.16f1
    But it only supports Standard Pipeline.
    Does not support LWRP/URP/HDRP

28. astromedia-only

astromedia-only

I see, thanks for response - its much appretiated.
    Hmm thats fine for me atm i suppose but i have to ask - are there some plans to include support for those too? :) ... i know its probably a bit soon and its older asset but it would be great - this "shiny new stuff" Unity is adding is promissing, looks nice and its very tempting to start using it :)

29. Xefier

Xefier

Not enough people buy this asset for it to be worth my time, I have much higher priorities at the moment.
    If I end up needing it in the future for one of my projects I might upgrade it.

30. youlweb

youlweb

Hi, I purchased the Nebula asset a little while ago, it's pretty great. Does it use compute shaders?
    I'm getting the following warning in the player log:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Warning: Compute shader will use scratch memory as not enough registers are available for the entire program, this could cause poor performance so consider simplifying the shader.

31. Xefier

Xefier

Basically it's saying that it's a complex shader, which it is since it generates a bunch of layers of noise so that's expected.

32. youlweb

youlweb

Are you confirming that this asset uses compute shaders?

33. Xefier

Xefier

Well it's a .shader file not a .compute file so I guess technically not compute? Not sure why it says it's a compute shader as it is a shader that's just used in a material.

34. Ste1982

Ste1982

Is it possible to use this package with the Universal Rendering Pipeline?