Search Unity

[RELEASED] ProBuilder 2.0 : Seamless, Intuitive Level Design in Unity. Finally LIVE!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by yahodahan, Feb 6, 2013.

1. BFGames

BFGames

How do i make it not merge meshes into a combined mesh on Play? :D

2. karl_

karl_

Mark the mesh as "Mover" entity - if you're in Object mode it's shortcut "M", or use the pb_Entity component inspector to set it to Mover.

BFGames likes this.
  3. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

Hello- I'm looking at purchasing Probuilder but I really need boolean operations for my prototype levels- is this boolean feature in this demo here in ProBuilder now?

If not, do you have a possible release date for it? Thank you

4. karl_

karl_

There is an experimental boolean menu included, but I wouldn't consider it ready for production use.

If you want to try out the boolean stuff I put the implementation on Github here (https://github.com/karl-/pb_CSG).

5. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

Thank you- I will give it a shot. I'll also have a look and see how Probuilder users deal with making tunnels through geometry- maybe there is a solution outside of booleans? Thanks for your time.

6. docsavage

docsavage

Hi karl,

Keep getting the error in the image attached. Occurs whenever trying to duplicate a probuilder primative shape object, although the last one was just when selecting the probuilder object created.

Using win 10, unity 5.3.1p4. Latest version probuilder off the store.

Thanks

doc

Attached Files:

7. mwituni

mwituni

Hi,
    PB is awesome.
    I think way back when I tried boolean (only the included options and way back) it didn't work too well when meshes got complexer. Github update sounds good, but I don't think I need boolean - its so easy to work with faces and edges.

I think you might be able to just push a face through, but I don't recall having specifically done that. If that doesn't work just create the face (for the hole) each side, delete them (to get the holes), and bridge the edges to create the tunnel. Then refine it by adding loops etc as needed.

imaginationrabbit likes this.
  8. karl_

karl_

Thanks for report, I'm looking into this now.

9. docsavage

docsavage

Thanks Karl

10. docsavage

docsavage

Forgot to say it's not business critical for me, dont't know about others, but it's sunday so not expecting anything done today.

karl_ likes this.
  11. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

Thank you for the tip! I'm going to buy Probuilder and give it a try. I guess I got stuck on using booleans to do this in my 3d package- it makes things so much easier to model in Unity so I'll try this new technique- thanks again.

12. docsavage

docsavage

Hi Karl,

Just downloaded the update. All seems to be working fine now.

Thanks for the help

doc

karl_ likes this.
  13. gsokol

gsokol

Just started using Probuilder and it seems extremely useful so far.

Is this a good spot for feature requests? The ability to do something similar to target weld in 3dsMax would be ace. I find myself having to manually move verts close together and weld....target weld would be a huge speed-up for me.

Keep beeing awesome!

14. karl_

karl_

Thanks! There's a Feature Request section in our forums: http://www.protoolsforunity3d.com/forum/

Target weld is already on the issue tracker, it should be in there soon. In the meantime did you know you can use the 'V' key to snap vertices? It's kinda like a 2-step target weld if you use that then collapse or weld vertices.

gsokol likes this.
  15. shwa

shwa

Hi,
    What is the demo scene that comes with the current version?
    any screenshots?

thanks!

16. karl_

karl_

The two API example scenes are the Icosphere FFT example:

and the runtime editing:

17. UnLogick

UnLogick

Hi Karl

Just tried out the pro builder and I'm forced to do some horrible work arounds because it's missing some essential features.
    • Subdivide an edge
      Sometimes you realize you want an edge split into two or three evenly sized pieces.
    • Subdivide a face
      I rarely want to subdivide an entire object, but several times I've wanted to subdivide one or more faces.
    • Extrude edge
    The "tutorial" video feels a bit like a salesman pitch, it shows the features but not the how... I had to read the F***ing manual.

The good news is that it's does deliver and I'm looking forward to see what csg you come up with.

Any chance you'll expose some api to the dll to give some more flexibility?

zenGarden likes this.
  18. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi UnLogick-

Quick answer from me until Karl can drop by with specifics:
    • Subdivide Edge: Definitely, it's on my list of additions already. A quick workaround for now, is to select the edge, extruded it outward quick, then select the old and new edge and use the "Connect Edges" where needed- then delete the new faces. Takes a couple seconds, but no worries, we'll have that feature in as soon as we can.
    • Subdivide Face: Already exists- Select face(s), click "Subdivide Face" or hit "ALT - E"
    • Extrude Edge: Also already exists, just the same as extruding faces- select any open edge(s), and hold "SHIFT" then move, rotate, or scale to extrude. You can also type in exact extrude values, and hit "Extrude", via the PB panel. Just a note: if you want to extrude non-open edges, you'll need to go to "Edit > Preferences > ProBuilder" and enable "Non-Manifold Edge Extrusion".
    Tutorial Video- which one? We have lots, and making many more soon. Let us know if there are specific areas you would like to see tutorialized.

19. karl_

karl_

At the moment your best bet is to use the source version of ProBuilder, as the API documentation is a bit of mess currently. Some parts are well documented, others welll not so much. If you have something specific in mind you'd like to do and would like guidance feel free to PM me or use the ProCore forums (which I'm much more active on).

You can download the source version from the User Toolbox (http://procore3d.com/usertoolbox). We try to be pretty fast about verifying registration times.

20. UnLogick

UnLogick

Oh Source, I like that. :)

Preferably it would store the time and edge, and if you press two times in a row you'll get a 3 way split, etc. I know that's a hazzle, but I don't want to fill in a number somewhere and I never want more than a 4 way split anyways.

Arg, don't call stuff "Subdiv Face" completely missed this feature and I was looking for it.

I tried this but only on a closed edge and got nothing, this function didn't do what I expected but atleast now something happens.

Bug
    upload_2016-3-8_11-15-35.png

Also got this strange bug, this particular face is black, if I move a vertice and deform it then it will regen correctly, if I move the vertice back it will go black, apparently this particular shape is not allowed.

21. UnLogick

UnLogick

I must admit this tool is growing on me.

As I said you should focus on a very slow tutorial, really slow, painfully slow! Tell people what you're gonna do, take a deep breath, talk about why you want to do this and not something else, and finally do it... Take a look at Secret Anorak's videos, he completely nails this, this is what you need, a video that takes nothing for granted and slowly, ever so slowly tells people how to get started. People already bought your product, now stop being a salesman and just tell them how it works.
    Take a look at what he did for uma, your visible api is alot smaller than uma so you probably don't need 10+ videos: UMA Intro video

But really the must have feature once people get started, tooltips MUST include the shortcut. The whole goal of writing docs is that people know where they can find this one must have feature. The super important everyday stuff like shortcuts belongs in the tooltips not in a chart of shortcuts.

Keep up the good work.

John-G likes this.
  22. wolfen231

wolfen231

Follow along with his E1M1 Doom 1 tutorial. It can help you get started better. However it is really dated and they are making a new one with Quake E1M1. If it's still in the works or maybe they finished, I don't know. Haven't seen talk of it on Twitter in a few days.

23. ncho

ncho

Unity (5.3) keeps crashing with this error message all the time now:

FatalError
    CheckDisalowAllocation. Allocating memory when it is not allowed to allocate memory.

UnityEditor.EditorUtility:UnloadUnusedAssetsImmediate()
    Probuilder2.EditorCommon.pb_Editor_Utility:VerifyMesh(pb_Object)
    pb_Object_Editor:OnEnable()

24. karl_

karl_

You just need to update to ProBuilder 2.4.10 or later (current version is 2.4.11).

25. ncho

ncho

Is this the version included with the ProCore bundle? Because that is what I updated from on the Asset Store (and had originally purchased) and what keeps crashing. Otherwise, how do I get the new version?

26. karl_

karl_

Yes, 2.4.11f0 is included in the Bundle. The package name is "ProBuilder2-v4081-unity53" (or possibly -unity50 or -unity4 if you're using Unity 5.0-52 or Unity 4).

The Asset Store sometimes can be stubborn about actually downloading updates, make sure that the displayed Bundle version number is 1.0.37.

27. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Is there a soft selection feature available in vertex mode?

28. karl_

karl_

Not yet, unfortunately.

29. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

okay, thanks

30. Smokas

Smokas

What benefits are in registering ProBuilder Advanced?

31. karl_

karl_

Access to the User Toolbox, which provides downloads for all Unity versions (instead of having to open Unity 4.6, 5.0, and 5.3) plus the source code package.

32. Smokas

Smokas

I did sent e-mail with invoice number - still no answer :)

BTW - tested in Unity 5.4 beta on Mac OSX - the placement of toolbar in scene window is wrong - partially hidden.

33. karl_

karl_

Ah, yup. I guess the retina mode is affecting the placement. I'm looking into it now, but in the meantime you can change the placement of the toolbar in the Preferences/ProBuilder panel to "Top Left" and that works okay.

34. Smokas

Smokas

Not really :) - ProGrids use left space. Changed code to move ProGrids toolbar down.

35. karl_

karl_

Oh right, forgot about ProGrids. Either way, I just committed the fix for the weird spacing so that's taken care of in the next update.

36. Stardog

Stardog

By buying the pro version...

37. inexus8

inexus8

Hi,
    I am new to unity and trying to find out the best tools for modelling. I've seen mesh maker and probuilder and I am unsure whether they address similar things or they overlap? Do people usually choose one over the other or they may use both?

Thanks.

yahodahan likes this.
  38. zenGarden

zenGarden

Prodbuilder is a very easy to use modeling software, you can model level design or make 3D objects , UV mapping is very easy to use when you need it; Probuilder is a all in one plugin, robust , prooven and easy to use.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    yahodahan likes this.
  39. chingwa

chingwa

I've only used Probuilder, so can't comment on a comparison to Mesh Maker. I can however, strongly recommend Probuilder... it has everything I need in an in-editor mesh building package and is actively updated all the time.

40. yahodahan

yahodahan

(Thanks @chingwa and @zenGarden for the helpful replies!)

I think the best option is to try out ProBuilder Basic, and see how you like the general workflow. Keep in mind that PB-Advanced has a LOT more tools and functions, but the general idea is a clean, smooth hybrid of 3D modeling and level design. That's the goal, anyway- you tell us if we're getting there! :)

41. zenGarden

zenGarden

@yahodahan
    How is going Unreal 4 version ? It is more complicated than Unity to make it to UE4 ? This could be interesting as UE4 BSP tools are too basic and not usable to make complete levels fast.

42. yahodahan

yahodahan

UE4 is massively more complex, unfortunately. It's chugging along though! :)

zenGarden likes this.
  43. mwituni

mwituni

I ran into a "bug" today - just wanted to post in case anyone else battles with it.

Basically ... I updated some component in my project, and after that I could not open the scene view ... it was black and unresponsive. I tried restarting Unity, same. Loaded a new project - that was fine. All the view buttons (animator, game, etc) were dead. Scene view was completely black with small icon in top left - looked a bit like a camera line-drawing.

After searching google, I found a post by user in 2015 where screen was black and was related to Protools ( http://www.protoolsforunity3d.com/f...and-conflict-between-probuilder-and-progrids/ ) ... so I removed protools. Immediately issue is resolved.

Sorry - my OS in Win7x64, Unity 5.3.2

karl_ likes this.
  44. zenGarden

zenGarden

@yahodahan
    One fundamental modeling tool missing is Bevel. We could choose the amount of bevel and how many edges we want for the bevel for example. Will you bring Bevel ?

Would it be possible to have Maya like floating menus ?
    For example for edge selected, the menu would propose edge geometry functions only.

45. karl_

karl_

Bevel is coming in the next update.

Radial menus are less of a priority I think, especially after the complete GUI redesign in 2.5. Still would be neat to see those in there some day, I'll make a ticket so that it at least doesn't get forgotten.

zenGarden likes this.
  46. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I've been using ProBuilder (and PolyBrush) a fair bit today. Just hit a huge snag with ProBuilder.

- Made a building in ProBuilder. It's a part of a much larger, otherwise outdoor level.
    - Run the scene. Corrupted geometry everywhere. Not just the ProBuilder objects, but random geometry all over the place.
    - Deactivate the ProBuilder objects. Run the scene again. Everything is fine.
    - While the scene is still running, reactivate the ProBuilder objects. Everything remains fine.
    - Close all of Unity. Reopen the scene. Repeat all of the above. Results are exactly the same.

So, it's repeatable. If the ProBuilder objects are in the scene, it can't load without all sorts of geometry corruption. With them not in the scene it loads just fine.

Unity 5.3.4f1, ProBuilder 2.5.0f0. Polybrush 0.9.4b0 installed, but not yet used on those objects.

Edit: Funky - the corruption still occurs even if I strip the ProBuilder assets. So it's something in the mesh data. For what it's worth, while I was working with the geometry I did get a number of disconnected verts that could no longer be selected, so this wasn't the first issue I ran into today.

Edit 2: Even in an otherwise empty scene those ProBuilder objects result in corrupted geometry, though of course at least in that case it's only their own geometry that gets corrupted.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  47. karl_

karl_

Usually when this happens it's related to lightmaps and static batching. Clearing the baked lightmaps should fix the mesh corruption on entering play mode.

48. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

That could explain why it eventually stopped happening. I also deleted and recreated a bunch of what I considered to be dodgy geometry (eg: faces that had additional unused and uncontrollable vertices associated with them), but I'm pretty sure it was working again before that.

karl_ likes this.
  49. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

As a bit of feedback after working with ProBuilder + Polybrush for a bit:

First, a better workflow for subdividing faces or objects would be really handy. In particular, it'd be handy to be able to specify how many splits are made in a subdivision (eg: split into thirds instead of halves) or when connecting edges.

Secondly, Polybrush allows us to paint changes only to a single axis - up, right, forward. It'd be super handy if we could also do "horizontal" (apply changes to X and Z but not Y) or maybe even specify a multiplication vector that we could use for our own arbitrary masks.

Third, this one has nothing to do with Polybrush, it'd be awesome if we could numerically set the local position of a vertex in a mesh. Lately I've made a couple of things that I've wanted to be symmetrical but which don't fit to a grid nicely... On a similar note, being able to supply numerical arguments to scale, rotate and transform commands would be useful, for the same reason. Bonus points if we can access such commands via script (or maybe that's already possible?), so we could then make our own scripts for edge case tasks that I wouldn't expect you to directly support.

50. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Used the UV Editor in anger last night and I must say it rocks!!!! :)

I am looking to use ProBuilder as my in-editor 3D modelling app, thus moving away from Cheetah3D!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    karl_ likes this.