Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Point Cloud Viewer Tools

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mgear, Apr 14, 2014.

1. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

This great asset in action!.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    shurrikann and mgear like this.
  2. mgear

mgear

sjm-tech likes this.
  3. mgear

mgear

v1.8 is now live
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/16019

Upgrade notes:
    - Don't update if your project is already working, no critical new stuff here (because folders has been re-arranged, shaders renamed, scripts have been changed etc, so it might break your current setup,or at least have a backup ready)

Couple new questions / comments:
    - Some user is having crash on iOS devices using point meshes (i'm unable to test on ios for now.. so if anyone else has tried this on ios let me know if it worked or not)
    - Someone asked about PS4 support, also cannot test it, so i'm guessing that its not likely to work there..
    - Some issues HBAO/SSAO plugins (points appears as if drawn on top of meshes, even when they are behind it), most other image effects work fine

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  4. mgear

mgear

Hi,

Someone email about getting errors in Hololens build, like:
    Seems that hololens platform doesn't support all those same features,
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12641223/thread-sleep-replacement-in-net-for-windows-store

ill update here if have more info:
    https://github.com/unitycoder/UnityPointCloudViewer/issues/25
    (probably have to remove threading code from hololens platform with these https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/PlatformDependentCompilation.html )

5. edwardrmiller

edwardrmiller

Just purchased the asset - thanks for all your hard work.

Is there any way to get point size working on RGB point clouds on mobile?

6. mgear

mgear

Yes, for android I have updated the android shader in that WIP/ folder,
    If you pm or email me i'll send the file. (will be included in next update also)

7. Gontz

Gontz

Hello,
    can you use Kinect 2 as input in realtime ?
    Do you plan to add this feature ?

8. mgear

mgear

Not in this version (also the kinect sample scene pretty much already has that)..
    But i did just recently purchase kinect to do some testing, so that is planned.

Feel free to suggest what kind of kinect data input you would like to have there.

9. Gontz

Gontz

I know of RF kinect plugin but his plugin is concentrated on Skeleton use. I'm looking for a solution where I have the point-cloud found in Kinect Studio. And where I have the whole stream, not clipped. And it would be great to make the point-cloud have colliders.

10. Matioupi

Matioupi

Hello, i'm a new user to this asset that I bough today... I have a few questions / requests :
    - how do you display the point cloud in the edit mode ? I'm only able to see it at render time (I have a very simple scene right now with only Main Camera and @Binaryviewer to a 2.7M RGB point cloud)

- how would you setup a very simple project to view it with Oculus CV1 ? I've not managed that particular point yet ? Would you have an example project ?

Best regards

11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Seems to me that it would potentially be a cool thing to generate a mesh from for VR/performance/streaming purposes, with each vertex sampling the point cloud "vertex" for colour...

/random thoughts

12. cyndyjb

cyndyjb

What hippocoder said.

I'm considering purchasing this tool at work, but I'm not sure I 'need' it. If it could do what hippocoder mentioned, I'd buy it in a heartbeat! We have a VR CAVE at my University, that is integrated with Unity for projection. I have a need to view some rendered variant of a very large point cloud in our CAVE, with the colors preserved from the point cloud. I don't really care if it's the point cloud OR a mesh that I actually display, but I do care about preserving the original point cloud colors, and I care about rendering speed, so my end user can walk through the point cloud/mesh when displayed in 3D in our CAVE. Displaying this as a point cloud with this tool sounds like it might have performance issues.

as for the convert-to-mesh path - I am NOT a newbie to point clouds, but I am a newbie to Unity, so maybe I'm missing something; but I have not figured out how to preserve or transfer the point cloud colors to a mesh with other tools before import to Unity ( I am using Cloud Compare to create a mesh from a sub-sampled point cloud, and I caan save to .ply or .obj but neither path helps me in Unity with 'vertex colors'.)

Any advice?

13. mgear

mgear

Hi,

With oculus, it should just work, enable [x] VR in build settings.. Does it display it in the scene view during playmode with oculus connected?

Viewing points without playmode, open BinaryViewerDX11.cs
    And uncomment that ExecuteInEditMode line
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     //[ExecuteInEditMode] // ** You can enable this, if you want to see DX11 cloud inside editor, without playmode **
    2.     public class BinaryViewerDX11 : MonoBehaviour
    3.     {
    *Note: It will probably cause problems if threading is enabled, so disable [x] Use Threading..

Other option would be to temporarily convert the same cloud to meshes,
    use that while building the scene (so can see the points)..

14. mgear

mgear

Its long time since i've tried Kinect Studio, what do you mean by whole stream, not clipped?

For colliders, got few ideas for that so will test soon'ish..

15. mgear

mgear

Just a bit confused : ) So the mesh would come from kinect,
    and the actual point cloud would be separate point cloud,
    acting as a kind of 'light probe cloud' for that kinect mesh vertices or.. ?

16. mgear

mgear

How many points you might have on those clouds?

External tools/formats
    .dae and .fbx should have vertex colors included in the mesh. (and then of course needs some shader that displays the vertex colors).

Probably unity doesn't support .obj files with vertex colors, since its not in the "standard" obj..(?)
    https://gamedev.stackexchange.com/q...ex-color-information-in-obj-files/66270#66270

17. cyndyjb

cyndyjb

Our largest has .. 60,000,000 (!!) points. Although I can subsample down (in the case of this one, subsampling down to ~400,000 points didn't lose too much relevant info).

The tool I am currently using to manipulate the points (in terms of subsampling and creating a mesh) is CloudCompare, which only lets me output the mesh as .ply or .obj, in terms of anything Unity would recognize. I thought I had a vertex shader from a former coworker here, but it doesn't work on my Cloud Compare exported obj or ply file in Unity.... :/

So I did end up purchasing the point cloud viewer for Unity! Testing it out, today. I'll see what I can do with it.

18. mgear

mgear

Ok, let me know how it goes.

For that low amount (400k), could as well use the mesh version too.

19. cyndyjb

cyndyjb

Well, this is a great tool, and I'm glad I got it, I can view the .las files that I start with in color, now; so that's great! But I cannot seem to create the Unity meshes from the point cloud and preserve the colors, with the tool provided - shouldn't I be able to do so? (yes of course I selected the 'use RGB' option).

One further question - my user (a researcher) would like to be able to view her lidar data with Unity in our 3D CAVE system. Her data is geographically related, and I'd like to provide her a number of 'scenes' where she walks through one point cloud dataset to another in the CAVE. I read something about this tool being limited to one point cloud at a time - but that's one point cloud being actively viewed at a time, correct? There should be no reason I can't put several in one project, if there is only one per scene?

And while we are on the subject - would it be better for rendering speed in this tool, if the data is projected into a CAVE and one is moving through the data, to display the raw Lidar data or the meshes? Assuming, of course, that I can get the original colors on the mesh, as my end user requires that.

Thanks much for your hard work in this.

20. mgear

mgear

Mesh reconstruction
    There is no surface/mesh reconstruction (although its in the wish list), but because its quite complicated matter..
    One option would be at support some open source command line tool to do that in background..
    but even still you'd have to run and tweak parameters several times to get usable results..(and should optimize the mesh also)
    (*hmm, i guess mesh reconstruction is what hippocoder meant also?)
    For that only option is currently to use external tools.. MeshLab, Catia, Recap and others,
    but i guess have to check some options if can add it to the same builtin workflow..

Multiple point clouds
    see example scene "LoadMultipleDX11CloudsThreaded"
    or if want to do it manually, have to use separate materials for each cloud
    https://github.com/unitycoder/UnityPointCloudViewer/wiki/Viewing-Multiple-DX11-Point-Clouds

Or if just want to have 1 cloud at a time, can call ReadPointCloud() in BinaryViewerDx11.cs to read a new cloud.

Performance

DX11 can display more points, but using point meshes is easier since they are normal unity assets,
    for example can load them in to scene as prefab etc. (and can easily see them in scene without playmode)

21. Volkerku

Volkerku

Hi
    I have a problem with PointCloud Viewer tools which suddenly occurred after playing around with another assets (Helios and Pegasus). I work with binary xyzcolor pointcloud, and I get an error message with the material shader PointCloudColorSizeDX11 "undeclared identifier 'unity_ObjectToWorld' Compiling Vertex program".
    I can still play the scene, but the pointcloud is invisible, the shader defaults back to black color and 0 point size.
    The other shader PointCloudColorDX11 works fine.
    Can someone help please.
    thx, volker

22. mgear

mgear

Hi,

Did you change/upgrade your unity? (which version?)
    Or maybe that .cginc file in Helios creates some conflict..

But try opening that error shader (double click on that error message),
    and change
    _ObjectToWorld
    into
    _Object2World

23. mroel

mroel

Hi mgear! I'm wondering if there's any way I could access your shader for changing the point size when running on DX11. I don't want to pay 75 for the shader only, is there any documentation on how you made it work?

24. mgear

mgear

Hi,

Would prefer not to give too much details..since have been working on this plugin for quite a long time.
    still, you can quite easily find some solutions to that from the internets.. sorry for not being able to help much on this.

25. mgear

mgear

I have now modified version of v1.8 for Hololens (ignores those parts are previously caused compiler errors, no threading), so if someone wants to test it, email me (with order number).

26. Virt_Arch

Virt_Arch

Hi mgear! I'm using the asset (version 1.7) to try and build a demo for HoloLens. I've successfully used the asset to create a binary of 139303268 points, visualised with the PointCloudSingleColorDX11 shader as it doesn't have RGB values. HoloLensTest.PNG While this is visible in the Unity Editor it is not visible when I deploy to the HoloLens. To check that the app deployed correctly I added a light source and capsule in front of the camera which do render. I also tried ramping up the alpha to 255 but this didn't seem to change anything. HoloLensTest2.jpg Points should be visible between the camera and the capsule. Can you recommend steps to enable me to visualise the pointcloud on Hololens?

Many Thanks.

27. mgear

mgear

Hi,

First thing to check is that does the pointcloud data file get included in the build?
    (are you able to see any log for errors that it cannot load it?)

Could try with smaller cloud also, that is a huge amount of points..

And then try different shaders, you could download the v1.8 version to another project
    it had the dx11 shaders with point size adjust.

Unable to do tests without the device, and I tried to setting hololens emulator while ago,
    but got stuck for not having windows pro yet.. will eventually upgrade to that.

28. FenyceAssets

FenyceAssets

Hi,
    i've just bought your asset, and this is amazing. Still trying to understand how it works.
    the only thing that would improve it a lot would be some kind of LOD on the dx11 pointclouds, so one could have different density based on the proximity of the camera.
    i've seen on youtube this video:

for my understanding, this guy is using some kind of "streaming" technique to load on the fly the vertexes needed by the view.
    keep going with your great work, cheers

29. FenyceAssets

FenyceAssets

Hi Again,
    i'm using this asset for days now, and wow, it's very powerful. Thank you again for the great work.
    Actually i'm using the pointcloud2mesh converter most of the times, because i can have bigger pointclouds (700M points), and use the LOD system.
    The main problem here is how the converter creates the submeshes. Ideally, for the LOD system to work well, all the points of a submesh should be near to each other, and now they are just sparse. The x sorting helps, especially for terrains, but is unuseful for more complex shapes that extends in all directions.
    Don't know if it's clear, i'm not speaking fluently english, so please ask if it's not understandable, or if you need some visual examples of what i mean.
    Unfortunately i'm not a developer (not good enough), but i think this could be an interesting discussion for the problem:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22780094/spatial-sorting-million-points-in-3d-space
    and maybe this:
    http://www.drdobbs.com/cpp/a-template-for-the-nearest-neighbor-prob/184401449

Thank you

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  30. mgear

mgear

Thanks!

Yes understand, have planned to add more sorting/grouping options in later updates,
    also those lods could be grouped, instead of drawing each individually..

31. FenyceAssets

FenyceAssets

Wow, that's great, thank you ;)

32. mfleurent

mfleurent

hi, i began to use your asset and i must say it's rather impressive.

by the way, i have rendering problem with the DX11 viewer where my world space canvas are rendered behind the point cloud.
    from what i understand, it's because Graphics.DrawProcedural is used, but i can't found a solution.

ideas are welcome

33. mgear

mgear

Thanks, ill check whats happening.

34. mfleurent

mfleurent

i think the problem is linked to the fact that in DX11 mode, points (or quad) are generated on the GPU directly with Graphics.DrawProcedural without generating mesh info, thus no zbuffer infos too.

35. mgear

mgear

Yeah got some issue there.. I do have CommandBuffer version in the works,
    and with some quick tests looks like it might fix this problem,
    but its not ready to be submitted yet.. (ill post here once its ready for testing).

Not sure if there are good workaround for the current version though,
    perhaps stencils, 2nd camera, using opaque shader in UI, forcing rendering to different camera event pass.. but this is to be tested.

36. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

I just converted a 141 Million highway scan lidar to binary format. It took a while. I thought it was stalled as the progress bar was not moving after a while. It took like 10 -15 mins. Source was LAS.

Performance was like 1-2 fps.. ups.. dunno if this is cause of the cpu or uses GPU. I've a 1080 but i7 cpu is a bit older.

chunking the cloud in two parts....

37. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

26 Million points are handled without issues.
    Its a shame that the scan is not very clean and still need further filtering but its super cool to navigate anyways.
    upload_2017-1-27_1-31-42.png

upload_2017-1-27_1-34-26.png

upload_2017-1-27_1-37-45.png

upload_2017-1-27_1-53-1.png

Attached Files:

mgear likes this.
  38. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

upload_2017-1-27_1-55-18.png
    5 images per post XD

39. mgear

mgear

Yeah its bit slow still, but in next update conversion is at least 2-3times faster.

40. EntangledOthers

EntangledOthers

Anyone have an idea as to why point size seems not to be working for me in the latest release?

I am sucessful in viewing coloured point clouds on both desktop & android (imported as unity meshes as they work best for me), but the the points remain a constant minimum no matter how large or small I adjust the ColorSize value. Any ideas what could be causing this?

I used to be able to adjust the values (at least on desktop, I've only recently started working in parallell with android builds). Viewing etc. works perfect otherwise.

41. mgear

mgear

Hi, Which material & shader you are using?

DX11 mode requires the dx11 pointsize shader, android version uses mesh version.
    If you are using meshes, then for desktop in DX11 mode, use PointMeshSizeDX11Quad shader.

42. EntangledOthers

EntangledOthers

I've been using the non-DX11 shaders. Specifically the MeshColorPointSize one (I think that's what's it is called, away from workstation right now). The shader renders the point colours (RGB from .pts) just fine, however the ColorSize value (default is set to 200) doesn't cause any change in PointSize no matter what it is set to. I'll give the PointMeshSizeDX11Quad a try this afternoon, however, I'm guessing that won't work particularly well on android?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  43. mgear

mgear

Yes, that is for dx11 only, so for android,
    first try the special android version (in Shaders/Android/ folder, AndroidColorSize),
    let me know if that works?

44. EntangledOthers

EntangledOthers

Figured out a bit more, seems like unity gets stuck in DX11 mode if one isn't careful, hence the breakdown of non-DX11 shaders in terms of the size bit (I think?). Redid a project & it now works well on android with the AndroidColorSize shader (RGB values don't show in editor though, the same for point size preview, but that isn't a big deal as long as they keep working on-device :) )

Am I understanding correctly that the mesh shaders (in terms of a desktop VR setup) won't work properly if the project is on its default DX11 mode? Or have i missed something here? I really like the ability to have LODs etc. with meshes, so going the way of a DX11 blob seems for now a little cumbersome (I might be entirely wrong here though..)

Oh, and I absolutely love PointCloudTools!

edit: I couldn't find PointMeshSizeDX11Quad for the life of me, where ought it be located? Update: Found it! (on github for anyone else who hasn't found the extra shaders before now) Sadly It doesn't appear to work (I.e. makes any Unity mesh clouds just ... disappear from view.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  45. FenyceAssets

FenyceAssets

Hi all,
    i'm really enjoing this asset, great!!
    here is a webgl pointcloud renderer that i've found today, and it is very powerful and full of features. The lod is fantastic (octree implementation i guess) and the shaders to render the points are very interesting as well.
    se here it is, hopefully useful for some inspirations:
    http://potree.org/wp/

46. ranzaro

ranzaro

Hi,
    I finally managed to but this asset and it looks very promising!

I want to use it to stream some animated point cloud in Unity but I have a problem while importing Brekel .bin file in the DX11 BinaryViewer.

I follow the Documentation step by step, but get an error and the file doesn't load at all.
    "Binary version should have value (0) or (1). Loading cancelled"

Any hint would be really appreciated.
    Thanks
    Matteo

BrekelToUnity_Error.JPG

47. mgear

mgear

Thanks, I'll check, there actually might be some changes from brekel side, so will ask from them in that case.

48. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Please add distance lod that reduces point density so we can load bigger clouds

FenyceAssets likes this.
  49. FenyceAssets

FenyceAssets

+1
    using some kind of tree (octree, kdtree) would be amazing :)

50. ranzaro

ranzaro

Hi, any update on the Brekel .Bin support? It's still not working, unable to import Brekel .Bin files.