Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Nodus - A simple node based visual programming system

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Loken_01, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Loken_01

Loken_01

Hey all!

Over the course of the last 3 years, trying to find time between work and finishing my degree, I built Nodus.
    And this is it! For only $50! (Or whatever the Euro equivalent is with VAT...)

Nodus is a Visual Programming Language for Unity, designed to replace the need for having to constantly tweak scripts and dig through code to debug.

This extension can be used by anyone, whether it's experienced programmers, or artists and animators.
    Some knowledge of how to program in C# goes a long way however, as that is the language Nodus is based off of, and uses the standard aspects of the language.

The main purpose of this system is to allow you to create MonoBehaviour components without ever having to look at a single line of code.

Some details for the interested (Programmers/Enthusiasts/etc.):

ACCESSING EXISTING CODE:

You can add namespaces to the HInfo object, and every class/type/function/property in that namespace is then accessible by Nodus. (That's literally all you have to do).
    This is for Unity's own API, and 3rd Party APIs. The reason behind this is that you don't need or want EVERY single function Unity has ever made in every namespace, but the option is there for you. And if you have another 3rd Party system that's wrapped in a library, adding the namespace does everything for you. (Just tell Nodus to compile that into it's library)

If you make changes above, Nodus will require a recompile, but this is the only time you have to do it.
    (Unless you change a function header, or add new functionality into your own code).
    And the massive XML library Nodus creates is Editor side only, so the only information that goes out to your end game is a series of instructions in the form of nodes.

ADDING YOUR OWN CODE:
    The main goal of Nodus was to make things as easy as possible.
    No one should ever have to actually touch the Nodus source, but can if they wish.
    Similarly, no one should ever have to worry about reflection, or anything more than writing their code as normal.
    It's all done with attributes, and you've 3 to work with.

So syntax wise, you have a choice.
    - [NOBJECT] will pull in every prop/field/function in a class/struct
    - [NFUNCTION] will add a function as a singular node for you
    - [NEVENT] makes an event accessible as a node for you

IT DOESN'T END THERE:
    I forgot to mention that not only is there all of the code based stuff above, but users can create their own sub functions!
    Subgraphs as they're called behind the scenes in Nodus (in case you ever look).
    They can be saved out to your assets, and shared through here.
    Essentially they are normal looking Nodes within Nodus, and you can double click (or right click) to enter it, and it is similar to a scripted function, with entry and exit points, and you can design it as if it was a normal graph.
    So if you made something cool, you can share it with others!

Here's a gif of me entering my looping timer sub-function:

Other Details:

WHAT YOU GET: (Functionality)
    - Works on Unity Pro and Free!
    - Simple, yet useful UI
    - Uses all of the basic principles of C#
    - Create custom functions within the editor and save them for later
    - Real Time Debugging
    - Full Undo/Redo Features
    - Full 'behind the scenes', customisable Metadata system for node names and descriptions
    - Reflective precompile of the entire assembly creates over 100,000 node by default, and 1000's more can be added with a click.

WHAT YOU GET: (Assets)
    - Nodus Editor
    - Full Source Code
    - Reflective C# precompiler which builds the Node library, which is excluded from built games.
    - Demo Top Down Shooter Game, built entirely with Nodus.

THINGS TO COME:
    - Full Code Generation (Any script type)
    - Networking Implementation
    - Editor Extensibility.
    - Multilingual Support.
    - Tutorial Videos.
    - Store submissions from earlier versions of Unity 5.

Nodus Site (Tutorials can now be found here too!)
    Nodus Forums

Thanks for checking it out!

Change Log:

1.0.5f2:

- Added Overload handling.
    - You can now choose the overload you want from the hierarchy.
    - Highlighting the overloads will tell you their details (variables and return) in a tooltip.
    - The same can be said for all Nodes that don't have a user given summary.
    - You can now add user only generated code through your compilation asset.

1.0.5f3:
    - Reorderable Compilation info
    - New way to save/load hierarchy (Makes things faster for playing, changing info, etc)
    - Added graph-only based Nodes to favourites
    - (Better than events where you have to also reference your graph, as these self reference).
    - Always available basic/primitive types
    - Drag and drop variables
    - "This" (Graph Self Referencing) node

1.0.5f4:
    - Now the hierarchies only load once on editor start up, and persist for the duration of your Unity Session.
    - The ability to search when dragging off from a type.
    - Left click empty graph to cancel mouse selection
    - "Don't show again" for expansion options

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    red2blue, Rixtter and elbows like this.
  2. Rixtter

Rixtter

I have been waiting a long time for Nottorus to go on sale, only to be disappointed with the result finally being a 30% reduction - still too expensive for the average Indie. Well I'm extremely pleased to see competition in the form of Nodus.

Face value looks to be similar node-to-code Visual Scripting tool, but actually targets Indies.

You win, Sir :D

I'm behind my company firewall here, but I just went ahead and purchased - can't wait to get home to download and put this through it's paces.

I also like the quick & full response over on your forums, and I get the feeling that it will become a cool place to hangout. Looking forward to participating. Good luck...

Richard.

3. rahuxx

rahuxx

Any version to test it, as there are many such package can not invest in all. Even though it is only 50$.

4. roykoma

roykoma

Hey,

I am one of the guys that has been waiting for Nottorus price to drop to an extend that I can afford it. (Now on Sale for ~185€; still to much for me as I marry next month and need that money currently)

Nodus looks really nice so far and I am thinking about buying it instead of Nottorus.

But before I do so I need a few questions answered:

Does Nodus generate C# code/scripts? If yes - how does it look like?
    • This is one of the things that catched me on Nottorus as it generates neat C# scripts from the nodes without any overload - only the pure needed code is generated.

Can I use native scripting in Nodus?
    • What I mean with this is: Am I going to be able to use Visual Scripting without looking at some documentation for translating what the "Transform" component is called in Nodus? If I want to add a Vector3 then I want to be able to select "Vector3" in some list to add it - and not for example "3D Location" or something like that. I am a programmer and can work best with the words and names I know.
    • At least I should be able to identify exactly what something does by its name. If I have to look up a documentation 5 times to create a simple loop then the simplicity is not worth the extra-time.

Could you please make a video showing the generation of something simple - and afterwards show the generated script (if Nodus generates one)
    • Maybe similar to this one about Nottorus:

• Short explanation: I saw this Video before knowing anything about visual scripting or Nottorus. It instantly made me want to buy the asset, so I looked it up and got let down by the immense price. If it would have been Nodus that I saw there for the 50$ I would have instantly bought it (Which i will also do if you provide a similar video).

And please do everyone a favor.
    If you want to take some "security measures" later (as Nottorus does for example) then use a licensing system (like any other sane company is doing) which allows the user to continue to work with Nodus without internet access.
    An initial verification is okay.
    Asking for a recheck every month (like Unity for example) is okay too.
    But if people are going to need to reevaluate the license every 2 or 3 days to continue using it - and therefore loosing much money if their internet provicer screws up - people are going to request a refund and leaving bad reviews. (Or not buying your asset at all)

Great work so far! I am looking forward to your answer.

Roy

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    SwiftIllusion likes this.
  5. Rixtter

Rixtter

Doesn't look like Nodus generates code YET, but it is the first thing in his list for Future Updates. I'm willing to wait for that while I get developing, I'm sure the backend won't force us to re-node as such.

As for the DRM, I think the big thing to realize here is that the dev is releasing the full source code with this tool... so I think that means piracy isn't something he is concerned with... if they want to crack it... they will... so why waste time & piss off your customers?

And I think a lot of folk will ask for a demo, and if you can without too much effort it would be great... although at $50 at least I don't feel that I've invested too much.

6. Loken_01

Loken_01

Hey Roy,

Nodus is currently priced at: €54, so you'd be saving around €130~
    Although it's not quite as complete as Nottorus. Yet!
    (I'll soon have other Devs helping out, which will help with future updates).

Thanks, I put a lot of work into it!

To your questions:

Rixly is correct!
    Nodus doesn't generate code yet, but that will be a future release at no extra cost.
    This means that it can be slightly slower on device, but is an amazing prototyping tool.
    This will be remedied soon however will full code generation.

Everything is names exactly how it is in C#.
    However Properties are listed as "Get [Name]", and "Set [Name]"
    For variables, I currently have a selector tool which shows type names, which unfortunately means a float is "single".
    But all primitives and the usual suspects such as transform, vector2/3, etc. are at the top of the list.

Basically, if you can program, Nodus should be a breeze.

The videos will be coming soon.
    I'm unfortunately on a limited schedule as I still have my primary job to attend to.

I'm not bothering with DRM of any kind.
    I mean someone would just come along with ILSpy, recompile without the DRM, and not have to pay, so why bother.
    Full source code access, and people can do as they please.
    However, I'd prefer it if it wasn't shared. The standard licence per seat is appreciated.

- Peace

SwiftIllusion and elbows like this.
  7. Loken_01

Loken_01

Hey Rahuxx,

Unfortunately, I can't give out a "test" version, as that would mean full source code access without having to pay.
    However, videos are coming soon, and you should hopefully be able to get a feel from those.

- Peace

8. roykoma

roykoma

Hey Loken and Rixly,

thank you for your fast answers! I will probably buy this asset as soon as the next wave of sales starts on sunday/monday (if there is not too much in there that I need).

I just noticed "- Multilingual Support." in your TODO-list.
    • Do you already have a plan on which languages are going to be supported?
    • You could provide a list of the words/sentences that have to be translated at your forum - with a list of languages that are needed. This way users could take a part of that work from you. I can almost always tell if a native person translated something, or if google-translate was used (Or someone that has no clue of the topic) and am always happy to see something translated correctly.
    • If you plan on including german and I would be happy to help you on this part (if you need help there).

9. Loken_01

Loken_01

Hey Roy,

I have contact with a translation company that my current job has ties with, and I was considering using them, as they are fast, professional, and reliable.
    But getting users to help is actually a fantastic idea!
    I think I might jump on that the second I get the chance!

- Peace

10. roykoma

roykoma

Hey Loken,

another thing that i just noticed is that the scripts in the asset have pretty basic names which could lead to possible incompatibility with other assets as the editor most probably cant differ between your Manager.cs and the Manager.cs of other assets.
    Example of the problem:
    Scripts that would probably result in errors if i would import them to my current project (if i wouldn't prefix my scripts - and i know many people don't):
    • Graph.cs
    • Language.cs
    • Manager.cs
    • Comments.cs
    • Connection.cs
    I think it would make thinks easier for the users if you would prefix your scripts.
    UFPS and Probuilder do this for example with "vp_" and "pb_".

I know this is probably half an hour of work, but you should consider doing it now where the count of scripts is not as big as it probably will be one day.

With a lot of assets I have to clean up incompability issues for half an hour before using them. You could prevent this and attract even more users with the good reviews that are going to come by users that say that your asset integrates very easily and without problems - instead of "20 errors after importing" reviews.

Roy

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  11. Loken_01

Loken_01

Hey Roy,

Basically any script that has a simple name is in the Nodus namespace, and most scripts are in the Editor solution.
    But if people warn me of compatibility issues that they are actively experiencing, then I will definitely get to it.
    I will keep an eye out.

- Peace

12. roykoma

roykoma

Hey Loken,

nice to hear!
    Thank your for being so open to critics.

Loken_01 likes this.
  13. Rixtter

Rixtter

Guys, I've just bought this tool & am basically open to anyone asking me to test some things or post screen shots. I'm not a coding guru, so if it's complicated I'll need a walkthru or example.

I don't have a lot of time on my hands, but I appreciate those without much cash may have questions before committing.

The first thing I will attempt is to convert some of my existing code. Out of the box, I couldn't find Lists or Select Case... but you simply add the namespace into the provided holder & bam... in they come (eg System.Collections.Generic and now I have Lists). By the looks of it, the entire C# library can be obtained... the dev just hasn't included everything by default to avoid loading unnecessary classes that you may not need.

It needs more polish, but it is a first release. If you compare to say Nottorus, it has some catching up to do... but not that much... and once the dev adds code generation... it's a no-brainer IMO... $50 versus $250. With source code ie no DRM will ever be applied & if the dev abandons it, u pros are not stuck for upgrades. Like I said, polish. The meat & bones are there.

At this cost, I would think Nodus will get a big & strong community compared to zero community elsewhere. Here's hoping...

14. Loken_01

Loken_01

Hey Rixly,

"Select case" should be under "Switch"
    And if not, drag out from any enum, and right click and the context menu should bring it up for you. (I think).

You're right in that it needs polish, but I reached the limits of what I could think about myself.
    This project is early days, and I hope to build a community around it.

I plan to be listening and implementing the features users ask for. That for me is priority one.

Things need tweaked, polished, added, etc.
    For instance, if you wanna iterate through a list, you'd need to call "to array" first, and that needs changed.

I'll be doing some tutorial videos tonight hopefully, and that'll hopefully settle a lot of people's minds.
    Thanks for your help and support!
    Super appreciated.

If this can become my main income, it'll have weekly updates! At least, that's he long term plan.
    Trying to juggle this with me job.

- Peace
    Noel

15. Rixtter

Rixtter

Nice one Noel, I'll have a hunt tomorrow. It's vino time here at home lol.

Will post idea's on your main forum to keep this one free. I've always been jealous of the BluePrints forum over on Unreal, would love to have something similar here on Unity. I thought Nottorus could get there, but money is such a huge factor these days. Nodus counters that hurdle. The videos are also something a community really really wants, but so very few devs invest time in it... fill that niche with this type of product and u have something special.

I'll definitely help out where I can because it is part of the hobby for me.

I'll have a crack at the roll-a-ball video question asked on your forum... albeit with a like-for-like of end result picture of how your tool compares... or if u can find the time for that by way of video it would be a priceless showcase... It's the Hello World of Unity...

Peace out...

16. sledgeman

sledgeman

Can someone give a comparison to playmaker. In sense of performance and in sense of workflow. Is it simple like playmaker. Will there be predefined nodes, like in playmaker, that makes life easier. And are there build in tweening options, or an option for addons like DOTween, and so on. Very important for me ;-)

17. Loken_01

Loken_01

Hey All!

There's been a number of changes made at people's request. Version 1.0.5f2!
    You can view the change log in the top post.
    This changes will be going live as soon as the videos are finished, and it's all been submitted to the asset store.

- Peace

18. Loken_01

Loken_01

Hey Rixly,

Thanks for helping!!
    Also, I double checked. Switch statements can be created by dragging out and right clicking from an Enum. (I'd forgotten because this was created very early in development).

Also, I can't seem to find that rollerball question...
    (Feeling like a dunce right now).
    I'll be making a swing at it though as another video for potential users.

Also, check out the change log!

Hope you like it!

- Peace

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  19. Loken_01

Loken_01

Hey Sledgeman!

Unfortunately, I wouldn't compare this to playmaker.
    Playmaker is more of a behavioural editor, with events happening based on triggers, etc.

But Nodus does have predifined Nodes that make your life easier, and you have the added benefit of being able to create new predifined Nodes without having to script at all.

There are no tweening options as this isn't an animation system, but it could easily be tied to one, with a tweening Node being an optional creation!

In terms of "addons", Nodus is capable of talking to every single API you desire with ease.
    All functionality of all other systems can be added with a string of text and a single button click!

Hope this helps!

- Peace

20. Loken_01

Loken_01

Hey All!

Tutorials are now up on the Nodus site and Youtube, and the new version has been submitted!
    Once that version goes live, you'll be able to access the videos from the store page too!

- Peace

21. Rixtter

Rixtter

Neil, are you from NI? Just listened to the first few seconds on your tutorial & figured I might live close by. Be afraid lmao, just kidding...

Quick idea, if it's not too late... post a link on your description to this forum also ;-)

22. Loken_01

Loken_01

Hey Rixly,

(Noel** no one ever remembers, or pronounces it correctly... haha)

Yea I'm from Portadown originally but live in
    Portstewart. You?

And I made sure to do that already ;D

- Peace

23. Rixtter

Rixtter

S***, sorry Noel lol.

Yeah I'm from Belfast but currently living in Lurgan... the things you do for a woman, eh? o_O

I'll be in Portadown later, I joined Regal pool club this year & have a match tonight. New hobby to slow my coding down yet again. I know the Port well, stayed there a lot when I was still partying. If I'm ever in the Anchorage I'll buy you a pint ;)

The tutorials are looking good, and u don't sound like typical norn irelan lmao. Keep 'er lit mate, tutorials are key & looks like u can churn out quite a few quickly. I'll keep firing ideas out there when I get time to poke around.

Rix

24. Loken_01

Loken_01

Hey Rixly,

I head down to pdown often to see the parents, but I hate most of the craigavon area. (Hence why I left).

I was up here for 4 years Uni, and decided I liked it, so I stayed haha. Also a pint would be amazing.

Nah the the norn iron blood runs deep mate, yero.
    I just try to not sound too chavvy ;D

Unfortunately, those bulk tutorials were more of a one off, because my main job has me aiming towards a vertical slice for publishers, so I've got seriously limited time.
    But I'll try get user recommendations done ASAP.

- Peace

25. sledgeman

sledgeman

Thx for the info. I can only guess that the performance could be better than a behaviour solution, because of generating a raw c# code. Another thing i could image is, that it could have some "node-snippets" integrated when it is installed. So i eventualy don´t need to stack to much by my own, don´t need to invent the wheel again. ;-)

26. Loken_01

Loken_01

Hey Sledgeman,

It doesn't generate the code yet, but it will in the future.
    The idea of shareable "code snippets" is already in place through sub graphs/functions.
    You can actually see this in my how-to video.

I hope this helps!

- Peace

27. Loken_01

Loken_01

Hey All!

A new update has been pushed to the store! Version 1.0.5f3!
    You can view the change log in the top post as usual.
    Now just to wait for the store to accept!

- Peace

28. Loken_01

Loken_01

Hey All!

I wasn't even notified, but Version 1.0.5f3 is now live!
    All the above changes are now available for you to use!

I hope they greatly improve your experience!

- Peace

29. SwiftIllusion

SwiftIllusion

Based on all I've been reading via this/the site and watching via the tutorials (which are really great!),
    this is looking incredibly awesome and exciting but I've still got a few questions before jumping in.

*The projects future/incentive to continue support.
    I've tried multiple visual scripting tools (including Unreal Engine 4's blueprints) and something I've struggled with in each is the developers seeming carelessness regarding the products stability. They've made their money and aren't using it in their own projects so they don't care about significant bugs (e.g. playmaker releasing an update that caused various nodes to run multiple times ruining all math and more in the project along with consistent version errors with their photon multiplayer support that lost me significant time invested into a project, and UE4 blueprints still breaking between preview/play/build in multiple ways after submitting simple repeatable scenes showing the problems that caused a loss of multiple projects across 2 years).
    Having just completed a Ludum Dare project and preparing for my next game I'd love to start with this but I don't want to go through the process of losing time invested in learning a new visual programming interface again.
    How do you intend to use this tool/what drives your desire to keep it stable and refined in the future?

*'Reflection'/compatibility with additional tools
    Something I frequently take advantage of in Flowcanvas which I've thankfully had mostly success with so far is to access other packages like DOTween Pro/Final IK/PuppetMaster, etc via reflection.
    Is that similar to the reflective precompile you mention, or is it related to the HInfo object you mentioned and is it something easily enough accessed by non-programmers?

*Full code generation to come
    This sounds really awesome and based off what I've read should really help give this tool the extensibility to be used solely in larger projects.
    Is this a high priority for you and when it may eventually be added will it work smoothly with already created graphs. Also would it be something accessible for non-programmers or would there need to be post-generation work like re-attaching scene references, etc?

Looking forward to your response, and regardless well done on a tool that already looks polished and properly fleshed out. (Also though the functionality is most important have to compliment the visual aesthetic, looks great).

30. Loken_01

Loken_01

Hey SwiftIllusion!

Future/Support
    I won't push a new version unless it's been tested and is stable enough to build a test game, so no worries about stability.
    I have a few testers that get stuff earlier than the store, and they help out with debugging any issues that come to light.
    I use Nodus myself for quick prototyping my actual work, and I plan to update and improve it for as long as community interest exists. However, my time is limited, but I'd love to make this my full time job.

Compatibility
    The nice thing about Nodus, and it was built this way from the group up, is that there is no need for me to add stuff for you, unlike playmaker.
    If another system exists, simply add its namespace in the editor, and press compile 3rd Party, and all of it's functionality will be available to you.

Code Generation
    In theory, there will be two parts to Nodus: (This is all theoretical at the moment)
    The pre-existing graphs can be built as "NComponent" objects, which will dump out scripts for you, and any graph that exists elsewhere using the same logic, can be told that it uses the same "NComponent", and will update and transfer variable references into the new scripted component. Then in future, you can directly edit the "NComponent" object, and when the script is rebuilt, all actual components in the project will be updated as if you edited the script yourself.

The second part will be working on these will be "NComponents" directly, instead of treating each graph as a behaviour on a gameobject, and this will cover creating Editor scripts, static classes, helper/friend functions, singletons, etc.

But in short, yes, it will work with all previous iterations, projects and systems.

I hope this helps!

- Peace

31. SwiftIllusion

SwiftIllusion

@Loken_01 That sounds more awesome than I could have hoped for, thanks so much for the quick and thorough reply.

*Future/Support
    That's really awesome to hear, I certainly also wish for it to grow and hope it at least paves a way for you to be able to continue active use of it in your own projects even if it can't be your sole project.
    Communities are always hard to build but it would be nice to have a healthy group of game developers grow about a tool like this :).

*Compatibility
    Yeah that was the big thing that I first appreciated after moving away from Playmaker so it's really great to know that's available through this too, thanks for understanding how important that is.

*Code Generation
    Sounds like a great method that I hope works out well, knowing there's the opportunity to have performance like standard code instead of just close to will really open future possibilities and project expansion so I can't wait to see that come to realization.

Again awesome work and thanks so much, off to purchase it and start testing it all out first hand :)!

32. Loken_01

Loken_01

Hey SwiftIllusion!

Thanks for the support!
    If you join the Nodus forums, I'll make you an early adopter, and you can make requests and whatnot. :D

- Peace

33. Loken_01

Loken_01

Hey All!

Massive new update on it's way, with help from SwiftIllusion!
    Hopefullly streamlining any issues anyone has been having!

- Peace

34. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Hey @Loken_01 -

Just came across Nodus on the asset store. :)
    Looks like a solid asset.
    Going to pick it up come payday.

Loken_01 likes this.
  35. slimshader

slimshader

Hey, that looks very interesting! A question tho: could you describe the difference between FlowCanvas?

36. ArturoSR

ArturoSR

Hello everyone, I bought Nottorus (in january) when I see what can be done with it, at the beginning I was so exited (I'm not a profesional coder, it's more like artist/modeler) because my primary need was to extend other tools that I have, so they could be integrated each one with the others; sadly I found that his way about "doing" code has many holes, this main one and I think this is very important, was the way to integrate the namespace from other tools (thus ones not compiled into a dlls), I spend a lot of time trying to make the developer understand that, he say that just searching the desired class have to be enough to get what I want, but that was not true, after many days he finally understand what I was talking about and fixed it, even at the beginning I was trying to do it the proper way but only get an empty reference search list.

Unfortunately, Nodus come out to late for me, I spend a lot of money (expecting the developer do what he offers) and can't request a re-found. I also have the NodeCanvas and FlowCanvas (they are a very good tools, if you allow me to say that), but they are a little limited (talking about how they work, but can be easily extended) but they really do they job.

Now about the comparison between Nodus and FlowCanvas could be this:

• Nodus and FC work the same way, using reflection to get all the necessary nodes from the Unity API.
    • FC does not generate code, you can have your graphs in two way: like an asset or bound it, you can save your Graphs as a json file to share it with other users or team members, even you can generate Macros, this one it's just like the sub-function from Nodus (it's a generated asset too).
    • FC does not makes a delegate method or something similar to that (I don't know if Nodus can do that too, Nottorus can).
    • Both can visually debug the functionality (in its own way), but if the developer want to generate the code and have the ability to visually debug it just like it is now, he need to check te image below.
    debugging.png

Why is that, I'm not an expert about editor code, but, I think it's because there's no other way to visually debug a generated code (physically speaking), the Unity editor can visually debug what he can reach, that's why a visual script editor that do not generate code can be easily debugged (in this case Unity, Unreal it's something else).

This tool has its own potential, so, let the time flow determinate if it's something to worth to buy, not just for the low price, because it worth's it.

Have a great day, cheers.

P.D: I still don't buy it, just commented what a see here and on the videos.

HeadClot88 likes this.
  37. sledgeman

sledgeman

Hey Noel.

Just bought your Asset "Nodus". I was too curious how it compares to FlowCanvas, GameFlow and PlayMaker which i also use. The most interesting thing for me, is the generation of pure Code. This means smaller packages & i guess a raw performance for my mobile projects.

Just struggling around with simple stuff like: onMouseDown = do this. Did´t get it now :D. Anyway. I also got some good ideas about improving the workflow with Nodus. You allready have a Nodus-Forum. As soon as possible i will join it. So i can spread out some of my ideas.

In the meantime, i hope you got a nice progress with your to-do-list by developing Nodus.

38. slimshader

slimshader

Hey, since author did not respond do my question: how does it differ from FlowCanvas? And from what I understand, Nodus does NOT generate code, at least not yet.

39. sledgeman

sledgeman

Thats true....no code yet.
    How it differ from FlowCanvas...not that much. But i find it more difficult right now to do some actions. In FlowCanvas i was able to do mostly everything very fast, without tutorials. The workflow inside Nodus is not optimized yet. It has also some small bugs. If the dev find some time, i guess most things will be fixed. Lets see, when he is here around again.

slimshader likes this.
  40. Loken_01

Loken_01

Hey Sledgeman!

I apologise profusely for not replying. I'm currently on my first holiday in years, so I haven't been able to access my computer or work on Nodus.
    I'm not sure about FlowCanvas, having never used it, but I'm constantly getting suggestions from friends and users on how to improve the system, add in short cuts, and make the system better all-round.

At the moment, it is a basic reflection based logic system, built into Unity, but as time goes on, it will have more of Unity's features custom built into it. For instance, Coroutines will be in the next big update!

If you have any suggestions for optimisations, or features you wish to see, then either drop them here, or over at the nodus forums.

Thanks!

- Peace

41. slimshader

slimshader

FlowCanvas works the same way, that is the point. That is why I asked about the difference, I am always looking for good Unity add-ons to speed-up development / prototyping and visual scripting is always on my radar, so as a FC owner just being curious on you view. Thb you must know that if you want to compete with them (as it is the obvious competitor currently).

42. sledgeman

sledgeman

No prob. Was guessing you are away to charge your batteries :) . I figured out how to use event "OnMouseDown". I need to put an event script onto the object that got the collider tag. Imagine you have 50 objetcs needed to be triggered. This means manualy put scripts as component on it. If i am not wrong. This will use much time. For a better workflow i would sugguest to find a solution, where the user don´t need to put a nodus-script-component on the desired event object, objetcs.

I think, for giving some improvement tips, the best way would be to go into your forum, to write some stuff down. In the meantime you are allready busy doing stuff, i guess.

43. zenGarden

zenGarden

Hi,

Does this mean the plugin will generate fast and compact code ?
    When this features it is planned ?

Anyway , it looks like a great alternative to Nottorus plugin for a better price.

44. williamian

williamian

Just read this. Posted in forums and emailed you regarding help needed. Now I understand this may be why I have not received a response. If you can post when you should be back and able to respond that would be helpful. TY.

45. Loken_01

Loken_01

Hey Everyone!
    I'm back! Sorry about the lack of updates and responses. I have been in the states and my wifi was... limited...

Hey ZenGarden!
    Yes, it will generate compact code that is then applied to your object.
    Currently you build a graph as a component, but in future you will have a specific graph type that is a scriptable object, which generates/updates your class for you, similar to how Strumpy Shader Editor would have worked.

This means you can maintain object level graphs for prototyping, and class level (code generating) graphs for the final game.

It's expected within the next few months, however it may be delayed as I'm working toward a soft launch on my primary job, but I do get the odd hours in each week.

Hey Williamian!
    I've responded to your query on the Nodus forums, but to reiterate, it's a harmless message from Unity's internal logic that I cannot disable. I've even asked a Dev about it.

I hope this helps everyone!

- PEACE

46. sledgeman

sledgeman

Bad wiFi in the US ? Can´t believe it :D .
    I found out, how to use "OnMouseButton" Node. You need to attach a "Event Script" onto the Object which is getting triggered by the mouse. Have to say, not the best solution, currently.

Because i have to go deep down in my hierarchy and attaching these scripts to my objects. It would be way faster, to do it without these event scripts. The workflow would benefit enourmusly. I just want to have my Nodus (empty-objects) on top of my hierarchy, clean structured. I guess you are working on a better solution ?! Or did i miss something ? :)

47. Loken_01

Loken_01

Working on a solution currently :)

- PEACE

48. williamian

williamian

I did see the reply and replied back. TY

49. sledgeman

sledgeman

Nice :). Great to hear that ! Somehow i was sure you either wasn´t satisfied with the current workflow. No worries, its not that easy. But it getting better and better, with feedback from some users ;). It´s the first version, so take your time !

50. sledgeman

sledgeman

Any news? Maybe you can give us some progress pics, text, etc