Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Morph Character System (MCS) - Male and Female

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by berk-maketafi, Sep 17, 2015.

1. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

The content team is working to update all of the assets that have problems, they've been very busy. If you haven't yet reported the asset in the help ticket system it would be a good idea to if you can.

2. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

Please send me the fbx you've created that is having trouble importing and I'll send it to the Artist Tools team.

3. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

Rotate the bones slightly so that they "point forward" and that should fix it. If you do this in editor before play it should work (rotate the hip slightly forward then the knee slightly back then the foot slightly forward if that makes sense). Let me know if that doesn't fix your problem.

4. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

Hi,
    I reported by email. The response I got was that I would be updated when they are fixed. It has been a little while though.

5. dustout

dustout

Changing it from cloth.name to cloth.ID fixed the issue, thank you so much

6. swansonator

swansonator

Am I the only one dealing with hair that has no cap? The update seems to do away with caps and so I'm left with very revealing "balding" as seen here with the REV hair. If it's an issue that needs to get fixed then let me know, otherwise what am I doing wrong?

Attached Files:

go1dfish likes this.
  7. hopeful

hopeful

The answer is here:

8. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

I finished adding support for this from a technical level. We're now updating content to support the new optimized technique. Some of the hair we may revisit and update the geometry directly when necessary as well.

9. go1dfish

go1dfish

What if we're instantiating characters at runtime? This isn't a pressing issue for me but I'd like to confirm you're planning on rolling out a fix in the future.

10. mrdl2010

mrdl2010

Interested in this. Can I ask some questions?
    1. How is this different from using decimator tool from daz studio to make lods and import to unity?

2. Anyone who tried the artist tool knowing how easy/quick to convert clothing from daz3d?

3. Btw since there are a lot of talks about another EULA for contents on MCS, will the Commercial Game Developer License for daz3d apply for mcs? I own the CGDL, If I convert clothing from daz to mcs, do I still need to buy another license?

11. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

Before you setup the IK component with FinalIK you could rotate the bones, you could do this in a script at runtime. There isn't anything technically wrong with our leg bones so it's more an issue of final IK has to "guess" the direction from what I understand. I will take a look next week and see if there is something simple we could do, but it will likely be a function call to trigger instead of us actually adjusting our skeleton.

12. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

1. Our figure was hand lod'd. Our clothes are sometimes hand loded and sometimes handled by an external tool (not the decimation tool in daz3d). That's only one aspect, our content then has a lot of meta information and additional tooling that makes it work with our avatars (fuses the skeleton, hides pokethrough of the avatar, syncs bone and blendshapes, etc). There's a lot more stuff going on behind the scenes then just the mesh.

2. We used AT internally for other areas like our demos, but I'll let someone from the wild answer this as it would be biased.

3. We're updating our EULA, so I'll refrain from answering this until after it's announced.

13. IanAtMorph3D

IanAtMorph3D

Answers in order:
    1. Decimating Daz meshes and importing them into Unity will not generate mcs ready assets, you would need to step through a bunch of other processes and organize the item's hierarchy correctly to work with the mcs plugin. Even if you executed all of these processes correctly you still wouldn't have morphs generated to work with the item. Artist Tools allows you to easily organize meshes into items, create/edit materials, generate overlap masks (alpha injection masks), generate morphs and export the items as a single archive file (that our importer knows how to unpack and convert into a prefab).

2. Bring our MCS figure into Daz, auto-fit / auto-skin the desired piece of clothing to the figure's rig. Export the clothing out as a .fbx make sure the rig exports as well. Bring clothing into Artist Tools and structure it into an item.

3. It's not recommended to run Daz assets through Artist Tools since you would need a Daz game developer license to do so legally (in a game you sell) for the details contact support. Over the past half year we've created a semi-automated conversion pipeline for Daz assets. I suggest that you contact support and let them know what you're interested in and they'll let you know when said asset will be available.

Side note: Using Daz to decimate WILL reduce poly count on meshes but the quality of the resulting mesh will be very low and will likely not perform well when it's animated and morphed. Our pipeline uses a different poly reduction technology that generates better quality LODs.

14. BitGamey

BitGamey

I'm sure everyone appreciates being able to speak to @jjanzer_morph directly. Jared is a great resource via eMail when he has time to respond, but I guess he is either more busy lately or just doesn't have the answers.

My only 2 issues now are zombie skins for 1.6.1 male/female (which I believe you said would be included in 1.6.2) and Old World Knight hasn't worked since 1.6 was released (some props are either white or import at the wrong location).

Any rough release dates yet for 1.6.2, I'm just curious if we are days, weeks or months out. Thanks!

elvirais likes this.
  15. Morph_JN

Morph_JN

Ryan and I are splitting ticket duties right now. We've seen a fairly large influx of new tickets which is understandable. We're doing our best in testing/reproducing and reporting issues as they come in.

From what I understand 1.6.2 should be out sooner rather than later. Definitely not months. Hopefully within the next couple of days if everything goes well with testing.

BitGamey likes this.
  16. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

In regards to 1.6.2 I'm expecting to release tomorrow. I'll compile a changelog and post back here with a list of what it addresses asap. Zombie skin will be included yes.

For old world knight it's likely a content issue so if you haven't opened a ticket I'd do that but I will talk to them about it.

BitGamey likes this.
  17. ViXRInc

ViXRInc

W
    I tried working on Artist Tools on multiple Windows machines. I just doesn't show up the import Geometry options. Its just blank. And When I am to exporting the Cloth Geometry from Artist Tools after fitting and testing on the machine where it is working ( and I am clueless why it is working there?) the export doesnt seem to be generating the necessary prefab to use it as cloth in Unity. Any idea why this tool is working such funny way?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  18. dreb4o

dreb4o

now I understand why everything is so cheap
    before $ 100 for men and women

after I bought models
    Now I have to pay each month???
    should not use more than 50 models( throughout the project?)
    How lucky am I
    This is the result when you buy without thinking(and you do not know what's EULA)
    what to do with these models?
    where to use them?
    I continue to read old posts
    I bought more than 10 models
    Is it a crime now
    I have to pay for the amount of models that I've bought?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  19. Morph_JN

Morph_JN

If you purchased a license to use an MCS figure then you get a Royalty free non-exclusive license to use the MCS figure. You don't need to keep paying every month.

Nothing in the EULA says anything about limiting the number of MCS Assets packaged with a game. You can have as many assets as you own licenses to in a game as long as they are packaged with the game.

You purchased the models and didn't pirate them so I would say it is the opposite of a crime if that is a thing.

I can understand based on the previous pages in this thread that there is some confusion with what the EULA allows and disallows. We're going to be releasing an updated EULA fairly soon. Once that is out I can offer more clarifications about the particulars of that EULA.

20. Morph_JN

Morph_JN

Could you submit a ticket with screen shots and test cases (Pre processed FBX files) and anything else you think might be helpful in reproducing the issue. I'll test it then open an issue on it.

https://morph3dhelp.zendesk.com

Thanks

Edit - Made it a link

21. Morph_JN

Morph_JN

The following assets have been updated:

MCS Female: Hair Pack 1
    MCS Female: Fire Lilly
    MCS Male: Western Outlaw
    MCS Female: Starship Crew
    MCS Male; Midnight Rogue
    MCS Female: Ranger

The updates contain fixes for issues reported by users (usually invalid content packs or missing files).

LukeDawn and elvirais like this.
  22. hopeful

hopeful

@Morph_JN - Has the hair cap been included with these models, or are they using the new hair shader, or are they basically unusable, waiting on the new hair shader?

Teila likes this.
  23. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

They will still need to be updated to support the new overlay cap. We'll be working on this asap.

LukeDawn likes this.
  24. hopeful

hopeful

It almost seems like Morph3D doesn't want us to use these models, since I can't remember the last time they did an update that actually worked across the board. ;)

Seems like the proper internal process would be to not issue an update until the entire character is completely usable.

And if the hair shader isn't working yet, then include a hair cap to use with the older shader tech.

25. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

We're actively adding in processes to prevent these problems from appearing again in the future. There are going to be some issues until we get all of these items resolved and have a better formalized process in place. At this point I can only apologize for the current problems while we work to correct them and get updates for everyone as quickly as possible.

It's difficult to convey how different our pipeline is from 1.0 vs 1.6. We're doing this so that we can start releasing a lot of content very rapidly. It would be nice if we could do this from a clean slate, but we have legacy pieces (both code and content) that we need to deal with. I don't want to make excuses for broken or degraded assets though, I can promise you that we are working to resolve them.

rrahim likes this.
  26. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

Sorry for the delay for 1.6.2 we're going to ship it tomorrow, we caught a small issue and are going to do additional testing on the fix before we release.

Here's the pending changelog for 1.6.2
    • Resolved issue with content packs where parent and child had identical names and caused syncing issues
    • Added support to remove unlinked content packs that were free floating to Editor
    • Improved visual layout of Editor component
    • Added support for detecting flawed CoreMesh and ContentPack assets
    • Fixed misc hair attachment
    • Added support for Overlay texture and color linked from CIHair to paint cap texture on head
    • Fixed prop attachment in Editor
    • Shows prop names instead of ID in Editor

magique likes this.
  27. rrahim

rrahim

I for one appreciate the work that's going into it, and the amount of communication being provided in the last few days.

Keep it up.

28. SayhiUnity

SayhiUnity

How to fix this?

maya.png Maya

artist tools.png
    Artist tools

29. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

30. Mooshoo-Labs

Mooshoo-Labs

Hi jjanzer,

Will we need to wait for the unity asset store team to review update 1.6.2, or is there somewhere else we can download the update from?

Thanks

31. SayhiUnity

SayhiUnity

Attached Files:

32. Razzle_Dazzle3D

Razzle_Dazzle3D

Unity's turnaround rate when reviewing updates is usually pretty quick (typically same day). Since we hope to submit 1.6.2 to Unity later today, it's entirely reasonable to assume that you could have the update in your hands later today.

Mooshoo-Labs likes this.
  33. celebrus

celebrus

Its been over a year since it has been requested by multiple people and there is still no way to know if content in the Morph3D store has been updated.

34. jjanzer_tafi

jjanzer_tafi

If you're referring to syncing with our direct site at morph3d.com that feature will be coming later this year.

35. BitGamey

BitGamey

Looking forward to 1.6.2, but looking forward to seeing an update for Old World Knight more, since 1.6.1 seems fairly stable for me.

36. Morph_JN

Morph_JN

We've posted a revised EULA which you can read here: www.morph3d.com/eula There are a couple of things that I'd like to point out:

1. "Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained herein, the use of any Content accessed or licensed from the following approved 3rd party sites (the "Approved Sites") shall be governed by the terms and conditions of use for such Approved Sites and not by this Agreement. The current list of “Approved Sites” may be obtained by opening a support ticket with Morph 3D and requesting such a list."
    In order to save a bunch of tickets I'll say right now that at the time of this posting the only Approved Site on the list is the Unity Asset Store.

2. Additional Restrictions section has changed. Notably the limitation on concurrent users in an instance of a game has been removed.

3. We are still revising the section for artist tools.

elvirais and hopeful like this.
  37. hopeful

hopeful

I've been going through the new EULA. I don't understand entirely what it is trying to do. So I'm trying to see if at least my basic rights are covered.

Is it an accurate representation to say that virtually all of the restrictions apply to Converted Content? It looks to me like using the store-bought content is fine and you can do whatever you want with that art in your game, but the restrictions begin to pile up when you begin using the Artist Tools to create Converted Content.

So, basically, if I never use the Artist Tools, I will never fall under the other restrictions, and I may use the art I bought from the MCS store however I see fit in my game, just like the normal scenario for purchases made from the Unity Asset Store. (?)

38. daschatten

daschatten

With the new EULA we are one step further in my oppinion.

Two restrictions are left for content usage besides artist tools:
    • Distribution or transfer in any way (including, without, limitation by way of sublicense) other way than as integrated components of electronic games and interactive media.
    This still prohibits asset streaming. Why? Or are streamed assets integrated components?
    • Delivery, unlocking, or other methods of availability of Content from User or User’s applications that require an end user to make a financial transaction to either buy access to or use of the content, or which require a financial transaction for some other credit, item, or status which is then used to gain access to or use of the Content other than the initial purchase and installation of such an application made available by User.
    This means one can't add a DLC containing new character variations. Or IAP. Why is this prohibited?

Maybe i understand them wrong. How are they meant?

39. Morph_JN

Morph_JN

The above applies to all content that falls under the EULA.

The above are additional rights granted to converted content (which is defined earlier in the EULA).

Hopefully this gives you some clarification. Keep in mind that the "Additional rights with Converted Content" section falls under the Artist Tools section so it may or may not be re-worked.

40. DonLoquacious

DonLoquacious

So, according to the current EULA, you added exceptions to a few things for "stuff you produce yourself", but the general themes are still the same. You can't stream outfits that use the MCS system, "unless you made it yourself". You can't use IAP for unlocking outfits, "unless you made it yourself". Of course we can still do whatever we want with anything that was purchased directly off of the UAS- at least that part is explicitly clarified.

Can I get clarification on this part?
    This sounds like it's implying that we can't use the Artist Tools on content that we've purchased, and only on the content that we self-produce. This would be a serious blow to those (the majority of the community) who have purchased other unrelated clothing through the UAS and want to be able to use it for MCS characters. Including people who spent exorbitant amounts on the Daz characters/clothing and the indie game license. I'm desperately hoping that I'm misinterpreting it, because it would seriously damage the usability of your product.

I know you said you'll update the Artist Tools parts, but I really have to go with just what I see here. This is what's binding us right at this particular moment, after all.

There's also no clarification on whether we can sell converted content (from self-produced clothing) on the UAS ourselves. You call it an approved third-party vendor, but does that simply mean your own team can sell things on it, or that we can too? If we can, and Unity's EULA is all that matters there, it means your IAP and streaming restrictions only apply to content purchased directly through the Morph3D store- is there really a point to that, then?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    Anisoropos likes this.
  41. hopeful

hopeful

Thank you for pointing out this part:

That part, if I'm understanding it correctly, is a problem.

What it's saying is that Morph3D plans to sue if you have a game where players can use real money to buy in-game currency, if that currency can in turn be used to unlock a weapon or clothing item made by Morph3D.

So, for example, a free game that charges players for upgrades cannot include anything from Morph3D.

Also, a game that has paid expansions cannot include anything purchased from Morph3D, because this would be payment from the player to deliver content that was not part of the initial purchase.

For the head honchos of Morph3D to hear us and then go make a new EULA that includes this ... it's unbelievable.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  42. GeekCats

GeekCats

@jjanzer_morph

I just updated to 1.6.2, and get a small problem.

The G2M_PBMBelly is in Head Group->Creature, not in body group, you can see in screeshot.

Belly.jpg

43. GeekCats

GeekCats

Still has the problem that not draw the body! Version 1.6.2 with Lawless Survivor Package
    noBody.jpg

44. GeekCats

GeekCats

Other bug. After install Lawless Survivor, Morph Group in Editor disappears.

Missing-Group.jpg

45. celebrus

celebrus

I don't really care about syncing. I'd just like to know if something has been updated other than downloading a package and doing a checksum. Even just a "Last Updated" date. This shouldn't be something that takes years to implement.

NOTE TO NEW BUYERS: Do not buy from the Morph3D store. Buy from the Unity store. Their own store is currently a second class citizen.
    • On the Morph3D store new content and product updates usually come later than the Unity Asset Store.
    • When something is updated you have no way of knowing if the item in your library has been updated, other than downloading everyday and checking.
    • They do not always bring the discounts to their own store.
    • Purchasing from the Morph3D store places additional restrictions on you which can be quite prohibitive depending on your game.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  46. GeekCats

GeekCats

More bugs.

First I installed Male 1.6.2, than Lawless, than Army Uniform, than Female and now I have this erro when I try put army cloths in Male body:
    Army.jpg

47. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

As I'm not a lawyer and not smart enough to understand lawyer speak, can someone clarify the pertinent areas of the new EULA.

1. Can I buy from the Unity AssetStore clothing for MCS that artists with far superior skills to me (everyone) have made and put up for sale?

2. Can I use said items in a multiplayer game where there is no limit on the number of avatars that could conceivably meet each other (if everyone had super computers and were connected by a super internet)?

This pretty much sums up my need and whether the MCS system is suitable for me or not.

elvirais likes this.
  48. hopeful

hopeful

I'm thinking another business model arbitrarily forbidden by Morph3D's new EULA is the subscription model. Not only do subscription model games violate the rules by delivering new content in accordance with a monthly payment, they also may offer veteran players credits for each month they are enrolled, which can be used to buy weapons and clothing, which is another forbidden behavior.

It looks like the only game type that is philosophically embraced by Morph3D is the single up front sale, probably to a single player, with no paid update at any point, and no currency.

I'm thinking this company - Morph3D - is broken at its foundation. Like wetcircuit noted, they changed their view and now we're not the real customers, we're just the money conduit for them. While they may have begun with the idea of selling game art to us, their business model has changed.

I would not be at all surprised if at some point, maybe as early as this summer, they re-write the EULA to say the only legal way to use their product is with the Morph3D content delivery system. Of course, this will require all new backend software, and the current (probably unworking) models will no longer be supported.

I haven't gone through to put up my one-star reviews yet, but maybe I will have time today. I'm thinking the subject line should be something like, "TOXIC COMPANY! BAIT AND SWITCH! PRODUCTS NEVER WORK! THEIR BUSINESS GOAL IS TO SUE YOU!"

And then go on with a detailed description of the business relationship a buyer can expect from Morph3D.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    Anisoropos, S_Winx and wetcircuit like this.
  49. Morph_JN

Morph_JN

Anything under the Additional Rights Section under Converted Content is something that gives you additional rights, meaning you have the explicit right to do that with converted content.

I hope that clarifies the issue for you. If I'm not mistaken, the quote you posted is from the Additional Rights section.

50. IanAtMorph3D

IanAtMorph3D

Artist Tools users, here are 5 short instructional presentations that explain workflows and functionality found in Artist Tools:

We’re working on a best practices (for modelers) presentation/document that we will have out soon. Artist Tools 1.0.1 will be coming out next week with bug fixes for a number of issues. In about a month we’ll be releasing an updated version with new features including auto-skinning and an improved camera controller.