Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Morph Character System (MCS) - Male and Female

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by berk-maketafi, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Morph_JN

Morph_JN

I hope I don't come across as argumentative but I'm curious which posts gave you the this idea. The closest thing I can find is this from @Razzle_Dazzle3D

Which I can kind of see giving a glimmer of hope but I ultimately think is similar to my post in that it isn't very likely (I think I said highly unlikely).

I'd like to help you through your stages of grief by giving you this glimmer of hope: While we might not release genitalia for MCS if/when content creation is opened up to 3rd parties someone may very well release such a thing for MCS.

2. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

@Morph_JN, that's still a pretty big "if/when" at this point, though. :p (Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

3. hopeful

hopeful

Probably you could go with a DAZ game license and use that art directly ...?

4. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

The DAZ models can't just be used directly on MCS models. MCS is derived from DAZ, but the geometry, file format, textures, shaders, and I'm sure a whole bunch of other things I've left out have had to be adapted specifically to work well in Unity.

5. kinodax

kinodax

@Morph_JN, it's that and the general "we'll pass it on" whenever the topic came up. We have no problem with 3rd party sources but of course they need to tools to make it happen. So first MCS 2.0 , then content generation tools. The content generation tools have to come out eventually to get real acceptance. By then I might have enough spare resources to be back asking questions about how we can become that 3rd party I'm looking for now :p . In the end you always are able to write the book or make the thing you wish you could find when you started:rolleyes:.

The Other Options are in the direction that @hopeful described as an independent avatar (non-MCS) but it faces the problems @chiapet1021 points out and requires some adaptation. The upside is you get both sides of the api you have to write yourself. Hence writing a middle layer to abstract use of either method.

6. igor-pchelko-nov

igor-pchelko-nov

Hello guys, we bought Morph3D asset. We tried to use it for hair in IOS project and it appears that it doesn't work with Metal in Unity 5.3. Looks like it should work with OpenGL, however we decided to not use OpenGL for IOS since it gives us random crashes sometimes.

Is there are any plans to support Metal for hair shader in near future?

7. Morph_JN

Morph_JN

I can understand where you are coming from. However, those "We'll pass it on" statements were always accompanied by a disclaimer that there was no guarantee or promise that anything would come of it.

8. Morph_JN

Morph_JN

I'll hopefully have something to you in the next few days to resolve this issue.

9. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hmmm.. I wonder if this means an update to MCS in next few days... ;)
    MCS 2.0 maybe?? OK we'll settle with 1.5...

hopeful likes this.
  10. Morph_JN

Morph_JN

Don't want to get your hopes up. I was just referring to an updated shader. Also 1.5 is the current version so does that means we're settled?

11. umutozkan

umutozkan

Noooo... we want more than we currently have ;)

The fact that we don't know what we currently have doesn't change this. :p

Give us MCS 2.0 or Artist Tools, better yet both...

12. SkobbejakGames

SkobbejakGames

I read that Olander (one of the users that left a review for MCS Female) said he found a way to convert DAZ3D assets and morphs to MCS by using MegaFiers, MegaDAZ and a Supersuit bought off of DAZ3D. He mentioned that he did email the creators of MCS in order to share his workflow, so I was wondering if anyone has any other info on this process (MCS authors or any other users that have maybe contacted him).

Also in terms of the genitals support, if the above method is doable perhaps this site can be of some help:
    https://www.renderotica.com/

They do a bunch of adult 3D assets and its pretty much all based off of DAZ3D. Although reading Olander's review it seems you do need a Supersuit and Im not sure how that would fit in with the morphs and assets found on renderotica. Ill try and contact him as well to try and get some more details on the process he uses.

13. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

I don't see how MegaFiers, MegaDaz and the Genesis (1) Supersuit can be used together to covert Daz3D models and morphs to MCS-compatible assets. I actually own all three of those tools, and it took quite a bit of work (much of it outsourced, since I'm no technical artist) to reduce the polygon count of the Daz model to something acceptable to be used in a game and still be adaptable to MegaFiers and MegaDaz.

Genesis 2 and 3 (which MCS is based on) and Genesis 1 are not the same. The geometry approach is fundamentally different from 1 to 2/3, since in the first generation, both male and female were the exact same model with different base morphs applied. For G2/G3, Daz went back to having separate base models for each gender. Also, I'm not aware of Chris updating MegaDaz to work with the anything past Genesis 1.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  14. Morph_JN

Morph_JN

Just a heads up, every MCS add-on has had it's price temporarily reduced in the Unity Asset store. All bundles and content packs are 60% off their normal price.

15. magique

magique

Thanks for the heads up. Are we to be expecting MCS 2.0 release soon? The current version is still too slow for my projects.

16. celebrus

celebrus

From Morph3D email announcement:

"literally thousands"... I am excited. I bought mcs base models and a bunch of addons since it came out based on its potential. I hope it finally achieves that potential.

Also the base models are currently free. Get them now if you haven't yet.

@Morph_JN , Will you be having the sale on your website store also? I'd like to have all content purchased from the same place, and it feels like your web store is a 2nd class citizen.

umutozkan, Whippets and Loishtc like this.
  17. Morph_JN

Morph_JN

First I feel upstaged. I wanted to be the first to announce our pre-announcement but I guess I'll have to settle for second place.
    Second as of right now the sale is only on the Unity Asset Store. I'll ask about getting the prices changed on the Morph store to match.

Whippets likes this.
  18. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Just got the morph 3D Male and Female base meshes :)

StevenP94 likes this.
  19. Ravenheart688

Ravenheart688

How do I go about updating my MCS Character to the latest version (1.5)? I am using 1.4, and followed the steps in the read me but it didn't work. Also I tried the alternate method but my character ended up white all over.

20. Morph_JN

Morph_JN

You need to re-import the MCS packages into your project folder. If you purchased the assets through Unity the easiest way to do this is to open the Asset Store in the Unity Editor navigate to the relevant MCS page and then click the import button there.

Once you've done that you can re-import the shaders and figure packages.

21. magique

magique

@Morph_JN How is performance in MCS 2.0 compared to current version? I've been holding off using MCS because my tests so far have seen an 8-10 fps drop in performance as opposed to using a Mixamo Fuse character. But I really love the capabilities that MCS gives me over Fuse and would prefer to use MCS. The performance has been a concern though.

22. Morph_JN

Morph_JN

It's significantly faster. It's hard for me to quantify it because I don't have the numbers in front of me right now, but there is a noticeable improvement in both speed and memory footprint. There is a video a few pages back from the Unity Conference in 2016 that has the actual numbers.

magique likes this.
  23. ParadoxSolutions

ParadoxSolutions

Runtime Tools for MCS has been released on the asset store!

Our asset comes with a lot of pre-built functionality and tools to help get you started with a runtime character creation scene, real-time character ageing and more! Check out our forum thread for more details.

We look forward to future versions of MCS and continued support from the community!

24. Totchinuko

Totchinuko

I tested Morph3D lite a few month ago, and I had terrible lag spikes when instantiating my characters (around 1sec per characters), and I'm working on a project with a lot of npc randomly generated. Is that a known problem? If it is, is it gonna be fixed on MCS 2.0? Or is it coming from me maybe? =o

25. drewdough

drewdough

hi all,

I am new to MCS and am trying to do a simple animation of the character doing a push-up. Collision detection works fine in standing/idle position using the Character Controller, but when the animation transitions to doing a push up, the capsule collider does not rotate with the animation. The character winds up floating in the air doing the push up (because the capsule collider is hitting the floor)

I tried disabling Character Controller and adding a RigidBody and a Mesh Colliider, but can't seem to figure out how to assign the MCS mesh to the Mesh Colliders 'Mesh' property. Can anyone tell me how to do this or if this is the wrong approach, what is the correct way?

26. THplusplusx

THplusplusx

Instantiation of MORPH3D characters is very, very expensive indeed. I can't tell you how to get rid of 100% of that load, but I can tell you about 50%.
    Instantiating 1 Character with 7 Costume-Items (clothes, hair, whatever) is an operation that consists of many sub-operations, but the no. 1 performance killer is CostumeItem.Start(), which is called once per costume and in total eats about half the time of the instantiation lag you are experiencing, while producing an incredible 120 MB of garbage per 7-Item Character.

I tried several approaches to work around that. The one that finally worked with (to my knowledge) no drawbacks whatsoever and got rid of 90% CPU load and 115 MB of garbage produced in CostumeItem.Start() is explained below:

CostumeItem.Start():
    Using the Unity Profiler with Deep Profile enabled and some patience will tell you that CostumeItem.Start() calls JCTTransition.FindBone(Transform[] destination_bones, string bone_to_find) internally, and this is where all the load and garbage are produced. The trivial job of this method is finding the first transform in destination_bones whose name matches bone_to_find.
    It solves the problem like this:

Code (csharp):
    1. private int FindBone(Transform[] destination_bones, string bone_to_find)
    2. {
    3.     Regex regex = new Regex("(\\s(?<=\\s)\\d+)?");
    4.     int num = 0;
    5.     Transform[] destinationBones = destination_bones;
    6.     for (int i = 0; i < (int)destinationBones.Length; i++)
    7.     {
    8.         if (regex.Replace(destinationBones[I].name, string.Empty) == regex.Replace(bone_to_find, string.Empty))
    9.         {
    10.             return num;
    11.         }
    12.         num++;
    13.     }
    14.     return 0;
    15. }
    Of course Regex.Replace is the source of evil here. The Regex' job seems to be to clean the bone names from any numbers that are preceeded by a space. Why it is done over and over on a parameter that does not change, I do not know. Also I could not find any bones in the models that would match the Regex at all.
    So the solution would be to replace this method with a more efficient one. But this is a problem. The method resides in a DLL and as it is private and non-virtual, it can not be overridden. So, time for some hacking!

Approach to fixing:
    1. Using a tool, modify M3D_DLL.dll to make JCTTransition.FindBone public and virtual
    2. Deriving from JCTTransition, override FindBone with an efficient implementation
    3. Replace the JCTTransition components in the model prefabs (1 per Character) with our derived component
    Step 1:
    Tool setup
    • Backup your M3D_DLL.dll (Assets/MORPH3D/scripts/Plugins)
    • Using the free tool JustDecompile from Telerik with the also free plugin "Assembly Editor" (found in the Plugin Manager), open M3D_DLL.dll
    • Click "Reflexil" in the "Plugins" menu to open up the Assembly Editor (on the bottom, titled "Sebastien LEBRETON's Reflexil v1.8" or similar).
    Modifying FindBone
    • In the Assembly Explorer (left), find the JCTTransition class in the Default Namespace and navigate to its method FindBone. In the decompiled source, click the method name "FindBone".
    • In the Assembly Editor (bottom) navigate to the "Attributes" tab. Check the following attributes: "@Member access: IsPublic", "IsVirtual"
    Modifying calls to FindBone
    • In the decompiled source, navigate to the method SubscribeToBindPoseChanges and click the method name.
    • In the Assembly Editor (bottom) navigate to the "Instructions" tab.
    • In the instructions, find the call to FindBone (should be instruction #65). Select the instruction, then right click it and select "Edit..."
    • Change the OpCode from "call" to "callvirt"
    • Click "Update"
    Saving the Assembly
    • In the Assembly Explorer (left) right click M3D_DLL and select Reflexil v1.8/Save and reload
    JCTTransition.FindBone should now be public and virtual.

Step 2:
    Create a new class JCTTransitionFix with the following source code:

Code (csharp):
    1. class JCTTransitionFix : JCTTransition
    2. {
    3.     public override int FindBone(Transform[] destination_bones, string bone_to_find)
    4.     {
    5.         int i = 0;
    6.         foreach (Transform transform in destination_bones)
    7.         {
    8.             if (transform.name == bone_to_find)
    9.                 return i;
    10.             ++i;
    11.         }
    12.         return 0;
    13.     }
    14. }
    If you successfully completed Step 1 then this should compile. If not, go back to Step 1 and try again.

Step 3:
    • For each of your character prefabs, locate the JCTTransition component (usually found on the hip bone)
    • Keeping all the values, replace the component with the new JCTTransitionFix component. Keeping the values can be tricky. You can't copy and paste them, as Unity does not allow that. I ended up copying the values by using a text editor on the prefab file. You can also write an Editor script to transfer the values
    • When you are done, your characters should have no JCTTransition component, but instead have a JCTTransitionFix component with all the values that JCTTransition had
    Voilà! Your characters should now use the fast version in JCTTransitionFix.FindBone and have much better performance on instantiation.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    cwmanley, manutoo, LukeDawn and 4 others like this.
  27. Whippets

Whippets

That is the problem with DLLs. Lets ask a straight question of the devs...

Has this method been rewritten in the new version, and are there any other dumb runtime uses of regex in the DLL?

28. Morph_JN

Morph_JN

FindBone is a small part of what is causing the lag. There are other things going on in CostumeItem.start() that cause instantiation to grind to a halt. One thing that comes to mind is that the method creates a clone of each submesh. (That is also where your garbage is coming from).

MCS 1.6 (what everyone keeps calling 2.0) fixes the cloning issue and instantiating times are significantly faster. However it never hurts to keep improving. I've pointed the developers to your post and they will take a look at it.

29. Totchinuko

Totchinuko

Thanks for the clarification on that point =). I hope this update will come soon, cause I keep pushing back integration of Morph3D to our project because of those performances problems (and also the missing tools).

magique likes this.
  30. Fenris2

Fenris2

Okay, so very small stuff to add here optimization wise, but choose for loop versus for-each. Exception is unless you will access the same item from the array/group more than once per iteration. In which case for-each will start to pull ahead because the overhead of for-each versus the repeated savings of referencing the local var more than cancels out the cheaper for loop costs with its increasing penalty of array lookups

Another comment. As a professional product you should be shooting for a budget of exactly _zero_ bytes of GC while n use.

31. EDarkness

EDarkness

I hope you guys get this out soon. It's been quite a few months since November....

umutozkan likes this.
  32. BitGamey

BitGamey

I imported the MCS Male. This system is quite impressive. I then purchased the Old World Knight but I'm having what is likely an MCS newbie issue.

1. I am getting poke through and the read says " To avoid poke through issues with this outfit apply the "Genesis2MaleLeather" material to the figure when the Old World Knight armor is on. Then apply the armor to the figure and use OWKRightBootTucked and OWKLeftBootTucked, do not apply OWKPants or OWKTunic.".
    I assume I am getting poke through because I just added everything into the Character Manager, but the instructions in the readme don't make sense.

- "apply the "Genesis2MaleLeather" material to the figure when the Old World Knight armor is on. Then apply the armor to the figure"
    I don't see a material slot on my figure where I can drag that material to. How can it say '...when the armor is on', then the very next sentence says to apply the armor?

Thanks in advance, I'm sure this is all standard fare for more advanced MCS users and while I'm excited to start using the new system and looking forward to exploring it's many parts, this part is frustrating to get the character ready for use.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  33. johnlanz

johnlanz

Hi,
    There's a problem for morph3d base model on mixamo animation. The mouth is auto opened by default.
    I'm using unity 5.5.0f3 and mixamo magic pack. morph_mixamo.png

34. hopeful

hopeful

The default setting for Unity's mecanim humanoid is jaw open. You have to either close the jaw or disable it.

magique likes this.
  35. Whippets

Whippets

SlackJaw is an issue with all animations that don't have data for a jaw bone. I use LateUpdate to set the rotation to zero when it's not being used for speech. Not a perfect method by any margin.

36. Temuzhin

Temuzhin

Hello,
    In manjaro linux I have MCSFemale.unitypackage, and inside it archtemp.tar
    When trying to decompress the .tar I get the following error: "An error occurred while extracting files"
    What I have to do to make it work?
    Impressive asset by the way.

37. Temuzhin

Temuzhin

PD: with Shaders.unitypackage I have the exact same issue.

38. johnlanz

johnlanz

Tnx hopeful. So like the others I fixed it by mapping the mixamo character jaw to other bones like headEnd

39. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

hello all,

I got MCS male during (still going on) the free limited time price on the asset store (not mcs male lite), can it be used for commercial purposes, as well as the clothes addons they have on asset store as well?

40. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

It's the same as any asset you would buy on the store.

41. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

thx @chiapet1021, I plan to use it for a commercial game, that's why I was wondering, I understand some assets are for non-commercial (they are the lite ones), glad I can use this specific MCS and addons (not lite) for commercial games :)

chiapet1021 likes this.
  42. Morph_JN

Morph_JN

Commercial use is fine. Here is the EULA if you're interested
    morph3d.com/eula

43. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

44. yohami

yohami

Is it possible to add my own characters / clothing to this system?

Whippets likes this.
  45. Morph_JN

Morph_JN

Not yet. The tools to do this will be coming out soon. More specific details about this will be announced at GDC later this month so keep you eyes and ears open.

HeadClot88, THplusplusx and Whippets like this.
  46. HolyFireGames

HolyFireGames

Hey there, is this asset usable in-game yet for hundreds of characters? For example, can we use them for citizens in a city/town, or is the overhead way too much right now for lots of characters on screen at a time? Thanks.

47. Morph_JN

Morph_JN

Probably not going to work right now. The next version of MCS has significant improvements that should allow you to do something like this.

ETA: I'm probably beating a dead horse here, but keep an eye out for announcements at GDC.

Whippets, HeadClot88 and chiapet1021 like this.
  48. umutozkan

umutozkan

No offense but these kind of posts make me smile (bitterly). After waiting for months for artist tools (almost a year since beta page's last update)...

I'll believe when I see it... Maybe UMA's next release will be a better option. At least there is a way to make custom content for it...

Forgive me if I offended anyone, I am just tired of refreshing Morph 3D page and this thread hoping to see the news of content creation being possible.

49. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

so I got the brit hair from the male, and the wood elf, the mcs hair shows up pink (no texture), how do I fix that?

50. crudeMe

crudeMe

Actually unbelievable if work as expected. Would love to see some videos of this thing in action. Haven't really worked with mcs because of no custom content. Been waiting for official creation tool. Not much of a feedback. The price seems reasonable, if this actually can help create costumes and props for mcs.

Whippets likes this.