Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Modular Fantasy Town - Asset pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Elzean, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Elzean

Elzean

Modular Fantasy Town
    Asset Store

Let me know if you have any issues or feedbacks so i can improve this packs and future ones. Hope you will like it!

Download the app or test it in your browser!
    Keep in mind that the HTML5 demo is far from looking as good as the desktop one and that the dynamic way the houses appear means nothing is baked ;)

Desktop demo 1:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B26awG-KMeldekoteV9sR3hjQW8/view

Desktop demo 2 with the trees and the recent houses prefabs from update 1.3:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wRd2fMT07e-deQDbC30_fGEHM56Od50f/view

HTML5 demo: http://julientonsuso.com/ModularFantasyTown/

Review by Sykoo

Old WIP thread:
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/stylized-fantasy-village.467805/

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  2. coverpage

coverpage

Although medieval, fantasy settings is the most common type of environment in the asset store, the style in which it is done here is so beautiful. Well done!

Elzean likes this.
  3. Elzean

Elzean

Thanks :) I agree there is a lot of medieval stuff in the store and i wasn't sure if i should go for it or not. I discussed it a bit in the WIP thread here: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/stylized-fantasy-village.467805/
    So in the end it seemed to be worth it cause the style, like you said, is different so i went for it :)

coverpage likes this.
  4. Elzean

Elzean

Currently preparing a video to showcase the pack, for those who bough it please let me know if you have any issues and if there is some models you would like to see (i will see if i can add them or not depending if it's reasonable/fit the pack).

I would also love to see what you can do with the pack :)

Here is a WIP of the well (from Blender) which should be in the next update:
    upload_2017-6-4_13-46-14.png

Acissathar likes this.
  5. Acissathar

Acissathar

A walkthrough video will be awesome. Looking forward to grabbing this soon.

6. Elzean

Elzean

I can try to record myself making a single simple house from the prefabs, would that be helpful ? Or did you have something else in mind ?

7. Elzean

Elzean

8. Elzean

Elzean

Someone ask for a wireframe screenshot here is one:
    upload_2017-6-4_15-14-39.png

Keep in mind that some objects have LODs.

I will try to add some screen such as this one on the asset store page for next version :)

9. Acissathar

Acissathar

I think one part where you create a small building to show "workflow" / looks would be cool, and one thing I personally like is where you take a scene (say the one you used for screenshots) and then just use the sample FPS Controller and walk through it to show it in motion.

Elzean likes this.
  10. BobOfTibia

BobOfTibia

Bought and will be testing it soon, I'll post a review afterwards, I can't wait.

And that wells coming along very nicely!

Elzean likes this.
  11. Elzean

Elzean

Hey thanks! Hope you will like it, don't hesitate to show what you do with it!

Let me know if you have any issue or need some help :)

12. judah4

judah4

I built my own building with an interior. Really loving it.

TeagansDad and Elzean like this.
  13. Elzean

Elzean

Nice, glad to see you got near the picture you showed me :)

I see some light leaks or just passing through a bit. This is a problem on most modular kit like this, first thing is trying to keep position within 2 decimals or less so something like 5.75896 would be 5.76 but it's not always possible / enough, and unity will often put stuff at odd numbers like that, so don't hesitate to scale objects like the roof a tiny bit. Sometimes a scaling of just 1.01 can fix the leak and without visual issues. Objects scaled like that will still be static batched :)

If it's between some wall you can do the same or just place a wood piece between them.

The easiest tool to do those little adjustments is the "RectTransform" :
    upload_2017-6-5_11-14-41.png

14. Elzean

Elzean

I added a very simple video Flythrough of the demo scene in the first post.
    It's not as good as the next Thor movie trailer but hopefully it does the job of showcasing the assets better than just the screenshots :)

Acissathar likes this.
  15. judah4

judah4

I removed two of the roof pieces because I didn't want part of the roof sticking though in the screenshot. There was some doctoring between the two images :D

Elzean likes this.
  16. Elzean

Elzean

The bucket for the well XD

upload_2017-6-6_12-7-6.png

It has 1 LOD and a separated handle.

judah4 and Acissathar like this.
  17. Elzean

Elzean

This is the finished Tavern, it's not part of the main scene but it is available as a prefab, all made with the available pieces :)

upload_2017-6-6_16-9-43.jpeg
    upload_2017-6-6_16-9-48.jpeg

TeagansDad, Acissathar and BobOfTibia like this.
  18. Elzean

Elzean

Another small progress on the well (from Blender) :)

upload_2017-6-7_1-4-16.png

BobOfTibia likes this.
  19. Elzean

Elzean

Here is another house that is not in the video but available in the prefabs:
    upload_2017-6-8_8-44-10.png
    upload_2017-6-8_8-44-30.jpeg

I don't buy many assets that doesn't have any reviews, so if you bought the pack remember to try to leave a review, that would be great! :)

TeagansDad likes this.
  20. Elzean

Elzean

Here is the well in Unity:
    upload_2017-6-9_1-34-1.png

There is a few different pieces (like the stone base is separate from the wood part) and i will make a few adjustment to it.

21. BobOfTibia

BobOfTibia

You good sir, are godly.

Elzean likes this.
  22. Elzean

Elzean

I don't know about that, but thanks :p

23. Elzean

Elzean

Those 2 cone roof were added last (they are in the package):
    upload_2017-6-11_11-52-36.png

I plan to add some circular walls to create some towers kind of pieces :)

24. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

25. Elzean

Elzean

I don;t own this asset, but from what i see it should just use prefabs with collider. So if you prepare prefabs to the right dimension it should work fine, may be drop a message to the creator of Ultimate Survival if he see any possible issue.
    My pack has many pieces and i think you would just need to put them together to create prefabs that fits the Survival kit grid (you can scale stuff a bit if necessary)

A rapid example, if you do something like this, a 3m by 3m wood prefabs (using various pieces in the pack):
    upload_2017-6-11_14-2-29.png

It should work similar to his video.

Again the safest would be to ask him to have a look a my pack and this picture in particular see what he think:

In my opinion it should work fine but being not familiar with that survival asset i just prefer you ask @Winterbyte312 too :)

26. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

You can use this pack with Ultimate Survival. Start with implementing the simple shapes (square wall, floors, one-piece roof) and then move on to more complicated pieces. It's a matter of knowing how the building system works. You'll be able to use about 90% of the pieces I see in the screenshot above, without needing to modify the system.

Elzean likes this.
  27. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

@Winterbyte312 wow great.. thank you very much . you are the best

AngryPixelUnity likes this.
  28. Elzean

Elzean

Example of the well "modularity" :)
    upload_2017-6-12_13-50-42.png

Did you guys made anything new with the pack ? :p

29. Elzean

Elzean

Another future update with those circular walls that will allow to build towers, they don't look super interesting by themself like that, but I'm sure they will add a nice variation to the cities you build :)

upload_2017-6-13_16-19-18.png

Acissathar likes this.
  30. Elzean

Elzean

Rapid example of a basic tower, i will add more pieces and another roof shape:

upload_2017-6-15_12-12-29.png

For people interested but not sure about buying yet, please let me know what's worrying you :)

31. Elzean

Elzean

32. Acissathar

Acissathar

The demo was sweet, definitely picking this up tonight or tomorrow. One quick question, is the glass transparent or opaque? In the demo it looked opaque but I just wanted to double check.

33. Elzean

Elzean

There is 2 kind of windows, first is the type that can be put anywhere can be rotated and scale, so that allows for more freedom when making a house:
    upload_2017-6-16_11-21-49.png
    You could replace the interior dark shapes by another simple model and put a glass shader if you needed those to be transparent, as you can see the frame is a separated piece.

Those dark shapes are map in an emissive area in the Atlas, which allow to make the window lit at night:
    upload_2017-6-16_11-25-4.png

The second kind are the one modeled into the walls, those could also be transparent if you add a glass shader on a separated shape and they could be reversed for a double sided wall:
    upload_2017-6-16_11-29-52.png

I try to keep the possibility to make interiors possible but i give priority on allowing the house to look original/complex :)

Now depending on your requirement another good solution would be to use a shader such as this asset (i didnt test that it):
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/49729

What know is that this is a method used in several AAA games like Assassin Creed to fake transparent window and visible interiors for cheap.

If you need other type of window / wall shape let me know, if it's reasonable i should be able to add it.

Hope this answer your question :)

Acissathar likes this.
  34. Elzean

Elzean

TeagansDad likes this.
  35. Elzean

Elzean

Acissathar likes this.
  36. Elzean

Elzean

i am working on exposing a lot of new variables to the substance, the most important ones are inside the various brick walls, they will let you modify the look of those walls a lot:

upload_2017-6-25_11-47-26.png

For those who don't have the pack, before the only option in this case was the color ;)

Attached Files:

Acissathar and TeagansDad like this.
  37. Elzean

Elzean

I'm uploading the version 1.2 so hopefully you will get it during next week :)

Here is the changelog:
    • added modular well
    • added bucket model
    • added new circular wall type for towers
    • added new large bended wood for towers
    • added new roof for towers
    • added new options in substances
    • optimized a few models (polycount)
    • fix some lighting issues in demo1 scenes and added some ivy
    • added new tower example prefab
    • removed holes on top of some roof
    • update demo2 with animated house creation

judah4 likes this.
  38. Elzean

Elzean

Sykoo just posted a review for this pack :)

Acissathar and Sykoo like this.
  39. Elzean

Elzean

On another project i used the pack to make an interior, i doing like in Skyrim where you just click the door and load another scene so i don't need to bother with object passing throw the inside when making the exterior so i have more freedom in the look of the houses.

Here is a WIP example of an empty interior with those same assets:

I do plan to make interior related pack(s) in the future depending on how well things goes, but i just wanted to show another example of what you can do currently since a lot of people ask me about this :)

frbrz and Acissathar like this.
  40. Elzean

Elzean

v1.2 is now available !
    • -added modular well
    • -added bucket model
    • -added new circular wall type for towers
    • -added new large bended wood for towers
    • -added new roof for towers
    • -added new options in substances
    • -optimized a few models (polycount)
    • -fix some lighting issues in demo1 scenes and added some ivy
    • -added new tower example prefab
    • -removed holes on top of some roof
    • -update demo2 with animated house creation

Don't hesitate to post your creations and have fun :)

41. Elzean

Elzean

I'm working on some interior, which might lead to a pack later.

Does anyone with 3dforge packages knows how they handle walls from exteriors and interior kit, do those 2 packages have duplicates of texture/walls to match interior/exteriors ?

How about more specific stuff like church, does both pack have their own version of this kind of models ?

Here is the interior i'm working on (weapons are from another pack but i could do some):
    upload_2017-6-30_21-15-7.png
    upload_2017-6-30_21-16-16.png

Not much objects right now, im working on some textures for moment.

frbrz, Acissathar and judah4 like this.
  42. Acissathar

Acissathar

@S4G4N Might be able to help answer.

I have both the interior and exterior packs, but I'm at work so I can't verify anything right now. I *think* that both the interior and exterior share the same models through prefab links instead of including both. I dont remember seeinf duplicated prefabs/models but Cobus packs so much stuff in there its easy to get lost :)

43. Elzean

Elzean

Like a "common" folder and whenever you buy the interior or the exterior you would get it ?
    Would be nice if you can check later or if @S4G4N is ok to answer. I have the same issue with some roof that may need to exist in both package, might make a 1 sided roof version for the interior pack.

S4G4N likes this.
  44. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey,

I have been following this thread for a while, love your style lot by the way ;) and happen to pop in again and see that my name was mentioned.
    The stupid forums does not have a proper working notification system.
    I have no problem assisting since I believe we have very different products :);)

The initially did the Village Interiors Kit from a customer request that said that another kit he had had no windows in so building anything other then actual dungeons was not possible for you needed windows and this other publisher was not interested in adding them. I did the package not even thinking that an Village Exteriors Kit could grow from that, but because the Kits both are very strong modular kits that work of a grid system and a set modular size of 2,5m(w) X 2,5m(d) X 3m(h)
    I did this so that you could just end up with logical 5m, 10m, 15m larger block sizes, with the 3m high just to you have some extra room space for cameras and so forth.
    The reason for this explanation is to understand that they are complete standalone but work 100% with each other.
    Looking at the very first post in This Tread you will see the white CORE blocks that represents the above mentioned Village Interiors Kit block sizes with the exteriors that snap onto those blocks and sit on their "outsides"
    This has great benefits in that you do not have to load internal data when you only want to see the outsides and the developer can load internal data as you open a door and vice versa, so that when you on the inside, external data does not have to impact performance.
    So no shared textures, each package separate and lone standing.
    I use large atlas textures to assist with performance as well.

If there are any more questions, please post them here but please email me to come check and respond, I will gladly do so. info@3dforge.co.za

At the end, the more successful publishers there are, the better for everyone.

Cheers
    Cobus

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    TeagansDad, Elzean and Acissathar like this.
  45. Elzean

Elzean

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer! Very helpful :)

I may send you a mail with a few more questions then :p

S4G4N likes this.
  46. S4G4N

S4G4N

Please do, you more then welcome ;)

Elzean likes this.
  47. Elzean

Elzean

Ok so this is an early WIP of a tree i have more work to do on it like dead branches, making it compatible with wind and making variations of it, but hopefully it will be a nice addition to the "Modular Fantasy Town" pack :)

This is trees using the terrain system with the bark/leaves soft occlusion shaders, could look better with custom shaders.
    Pasted image at 2017_07_05 11_25 AM_1.jpg

judah4, Acissathar and S4G4N like this.
  48. Elzean

Elzean

more WIP on the trees :)

upload_2017-7-6_17-20-7.png
    s31.JPG
    s32.JPG

I'm just reusing the very small terrain i already had in demo2 and added the new trees, but could look a lot better with a nice terrain and rocks etc...

Currently there is 2 trees (same type just variation) that comes with LOD and billboard and work with the wind. 1 texture for bark and another atlas for branch and leaves.

I wanted to make tall pines that you can see in nordic kind of forest, took some work but i'm very happy with the result so far :)

49. Elzean

Elzean

I have more example using this asset pack but those one are along other assets from the store for effects and skybox, it's a WIP scene but you can get an idea of what's possible:

upload_2017-7-8_11-22-39.jpeg
    upload_2017-7-8_11-22-53.jpeg

50. Elzean

Elzean

There is a good chance that the few things i am doing for some interiors are going to be added to the pack directly :p

Here a reminder (weapons are from another pack)