Search Unity

[RELEASED] Modular Dungeon Pack - Catacombs

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by florianalexandru05, Feb 8, 2017.

?

Your Rating!

1. Poor - I wouldn't buy it!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Average

11.1%
  3. Unique

11.1%
  4. High Quality

66.7%
  5. AAA

11.1%
  1. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

_____________________________________________________________________________
    Development thread: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/modular-dungeon-pack-catacomb.398141/
    * 160 models
    * 2K texture atlases
    * One custom mesh example level with baked lightmaps
    * One modular example level with real time light

Video:

Screenshots:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    chelnok and Talavaj like this.
  2. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Screenshots:

3. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

4. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

5. Talavaj

Talavaj

Looks spooky and pretty great.
    Didn't decide on the price yet ?

florianalexandru05 likes this.
  6. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

No, not yet. I want to upload it today. What price would you recommend?

7. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks for commenting, I think I made up my mind more or less but I might change the price before submission. :)

8. magique

magique

I think it all looks very nice, but it does have a slightly cartoony look to it. I would definitely buy it if it was more photo-realistic looking.

[EDIT]
    And then I went to compare to Skyrim dungeon and they look similar. So I guess maybe I made a hasty judgment. I'll seriously consider this one.

9. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Ahh no worries, thank you very much for the comment! Actually I am expecting very harsh criticism, no, I want that to get better and improve my quality!

Maybe it turned out a bit stylized because I attempted to be original and make my own textures from scratch without the help of substance. I always did have a semi-realistic style but I want to try and get full realistic to. Another factor would be because I used pbr specular in such a way, it looks more glossy but I need the stones to shine, also, I recorded the game at half game quality with less pixel lights so the normals don't look right in the video. I might try to make the next pack completely realistic, if I can achieve such a thing, I have plans for that.

Thank you again sir for your kind comment! :)

TeagansDad and magique like this.
  10. magique

magique

Awesome. I will basically buy this as soon as it hits the store.

11. AstralChu

AstralChu

As an official beta tester, I have to say that I really enjoyed adventuring through this dungeon level - A great variety of skillfully crafted models with beautifully designed high-quality textures! A must have for any dungeon loving gamers/game developers!

12. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks AstralChu!

13. HR0THVITNIR

HR0THVITNIR

That was my reaction as well. I think its the rocks and all the black lines. Don't put any shadows on the diffuse/color texture - just sculpt and paint the rock the way you want, with cracks and depressions the same "color" as the rest of the rock, not darker. If you want, you can put that shadow info onto an AO map. I'm honestly not sure how necessary that is with post processing though.

If you look at the outside cave entrance/exit (see spoilers below) the black lines don't go away, even in direct sun light. So it looks pretty unnatural.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  14. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Looks good!

15. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks for the suggestion, I would do it the same way, unfortunately I made my own texture from a reference image with this one. I usually sculpt my rock but I tried shaping a model based on a image. I do get what you mean about the post processing but not everybody can use that, especially some mobile games. And I do approve of your comment, also thank you for the honest vote! Btw I'm making an environment pack and I did sculpt all my models on this one.
    Thanks man! :D

16. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

---NEW!---

___________​
    That's definitely true, the simple texture already has those lines but they aren't as prominent without AO and I wanted it to be split that way because my pack is meant to be used a lot more in underground environments. I do realize it was a bit overdue to use AO again in that example but I included the AO texture in the pack so people can have the full thing. People can remove AO in their shader if they want.

Thank you again for comparing it to Skyrim! I made some improvement but I'm a little bit disappointed I couldn't record my video or make all my screenshot at full quality so I had to lower it and even deactivated the reflection probes but I made some new screenshots now. I realize not everyone will use pbr/might use their own shaders so note that material will have reflections deactivated because I intentionally made them to shiny, for use in underground environments, so you just have to add reflection probes to your scene and it will look alright. This still means you can use it for lit outdoors, given that you use the right illumination and reflections.

And this is the best I can do with the Unity engine so far:

This is how the caves should look like with reflection probes. Every prefab has a standard less expensive material so I left the hight quality material examples in a specific folder before uploading the pack to Unity at least.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  17. Talavaj

Talavaj

The top pictures were not baked ?
    Yeah the new pictures look a lot better, less "cartoony" too.

I would include those images instead in your package then.
    Not sure if you can change the key images/screenshots without reuploading your package, someone might confirm though.

18. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I didn't use reflection probes for the top pictures, yes!

Not sure, maybe after it got approved? At the moment I fell it's pretty good as it is, also it would seem the last pictures won't match very well with the first, so it's alright, but I would like to know for myself.

19. magique

magique

It's been a long time since the last update. Any idea when this will be released?

20. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks for the interest. The pack got reviewed but I had some issues with a couple of models so I'm fixing it now. A small drawback but I hope it will get approved in a couple of days if not however long it takes for them to approve a pack. It's roughly 600mb. I'm also using this opportunity to improve some things a bit but should be online sometime this month for sure. What I can say for certain is that I'm almost done with the fix.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    magique likes this.
  21. magique

magique

It's released now. Congratulations!

22. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

That it is! :D It had a lot of drawbacks. The issues where a challenge to fix but I made a few things better. I might make a volume 2 if it's well received!
    If anyone has any issues feel free to contact me!

23. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I would like to announce that I am offering free samples of the updates!

* Free Samples

TeagansDad likes this.
  24. spryx

spryx

Looks great... But, please please please... Fix the flames on your torch!

25. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks but I can't do that now, the pack does not include any particles. I used the standard flame effects for the sake of the video presentation without knowing it could be adjusted that way. Next time, I'll know about that.

I am making updates, perhaps I should add some fire particles to. Same thing for the torch, I used the small prop I made from the wall, I will make a high quality model for the update.

26. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Specular + Albedo Textures Updates .zip

I went through all the textures and added roughness/smoothness to all my specular maps and I also added/made a few extra albedo maps out of the diffuse to look better with PBR. It's not full pbr but it's getting close. I would be renaming all my other old textures diffuse maps instead but I kept the naming as albedo despite it being confusing for the sake of easily replacing the old textures. So just go ahead and copy or remove the old textures.
    The specular maps are in Tif format, the old ones are png.

I will consider this a major update. I might go on a long hiatus after this because I'll move in Spain.

So without smoothness I had this issue with reflections, now it looks right in default lighting to. Everything is controlled from the textures and the power of the slider:

I recommend everyone that bought my pack to update with these textures till the pack gets the finall update!

spryx likes this.
  27. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Made a broken version of the pillars. I think I'll upload these later

Unity and some post processing can go a long way!

TeagansDad likes this.
  28. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I uploaded the broken columns:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/kj8tt0gnq1q6eun/MDC_Update+1.1b.unitypackage

---

On a side note, I found a really fast workflow, using Zbrush, Blender and Photoshop to make procedural textures. I should mention I don't own or use Substance Designer! I made some pretty basic mud with stones, it's pretty raw but it works very well. I'll include those in the update.

... and put together a fast test scene with GI and post processing. Everything is rendered in Unity!

Next I'll finish the bridge updates and look a bit in my Environment pack,

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  29. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

The pack is 30% OFF right now!

magique likes this.
  30. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Made some low red rocks I made a new tile from. Will be included on the update. (2k texture - 512px for each rock)

And here is the tile, still pretty raw, fina textures will be better blended.

Now to texture those bridge models.

31. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Update Torch!

spryx likes this.
  32. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Started working on the final update for the catacombs pack!

magique likes this.
  33. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Updates on texturing progress, going well. The update will include a couple of tiles, if it was lacking more of thembefore. I used them to texture the top side of the bridge updates.

I am having a problem with the normals of my staircase meshes in Unity. It works in other 3D applications but in Unity it's just messed up. I figured out why that happens and did happen before I submitted v1 of the pack but this time I can't seem to be able to fix it. I'll just let this one for last.

I'm almost done with the texturing of the updates and bridge, will finish soon.

magique likes this.
  34. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Some last screenshots before submission. Everything is done and textures, besides the normal map problems I am having lately, If I can't fix it might just have to use hard edges and hope for the best, It's setting me back a little.
    I am officially closing the updates and calling it a day with this pack!

This side of the bridge texture size is fairly small, made out of pieces and meant to be modular, it's not really supposed to be seen close up but it still looks pretty good. You will see what I meant when you download the final finished pack ;)

My style got better but I kinda keeps everything in a similar style somehow. Please enjoy the final release that is to come!

magique likes this.
  35. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Here's some extra pictures while I fix stuff...
    ...underneath the bridge

So I fixed this problem I had with normals. It was something to do with unity and the way meshes are baked. So, whatever fixes I make to the normal maps should only work for unity. Funny, it doesn't look right elsewhere. If you experience any problems trying the models out in other game engines/software, please contact me!

The only thing I still didn't get to fix is the staircase, it's causing me a huge drawback but I'll just set everything up and leave that for tomorrow, if I can fix it. I hope I could find a alternative at least.

Submission date in about 2 days, if no more drawbacks!

magique likes this.
  36. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Everything's fixed, just managing my assets and getting them ready for submission, I am doing final quality controls, I'll check and recheck if I have to and I'll summarize everything before submission. I don't want to rush this now that I'm done.

magique likes this.
  37. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

So there was a power outage in my town yesterday for most of the day but the good news is that I'm uploading the pack right now. I'm gonna summarise everything and give you more info when I will mention I sent it for approval. I was also fixing the platform texture a little bit but my computer can't seem to take the summer heat and got a little wonky. Hope I can get that in there somehow.

Here's what we got so far.(about 220 prefabs)

38. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I just sent the Update for submission, now all I need to do is wait.

Price unchanged

Finally summary:

• Roughly 220 prefabs
    • 180 prefabs + 44 update prefabs
    • 2K and up to 4k texture atlases
    High quality torch
    • 5 new realistic tile textures
    • 4k Pillars and platform
    • Broken versions of the pillars
    • New modular bridge assets
    • More rock models
    • Included a few albedo map for a more realistic workflow
    • Fixed glossiness issues. Specular material library with new specular textures and roughness maps

Unfortunately I didn't got to fix the platform, it's gonna have some problems looking totally seamless because of the normal map but I might provide a diffuse texture fix on the forum sometime this month. I will take a break from making assets and mind my health for awhile but if you have any sort of issues please talk to me about it! There's also my computer problem that I need to fix.

39. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

40. magique

magique

Fantastic. I am right at the point where I need to add my first dungeon/crypt area to the game. This is perfect timing.

41. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

magique likes this.
  42. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

43. bdpbiz777

bdpbiz777

There is nothing cartoony about your product. It may be the way the render came out (the DOF). I purchased the pack BECAUSE OF THE REALISM. I just watched a fantastic series called Ajin: Demi-Human. I hate anime because it is so silly and childish, and needlessly perverted. I was hoping for a third season when I discovered Ajin: Demi-Human came out in 2016. I looked all over the place for Ajin series and discovered that Nerds were criticizing Ajin: Demi Hunter because it didn't have that childish and silly anime-look. Ajin was instead a CG, cell-shaded rendered project. The storyline to Ajin, for me, was engaging and had a feeling as if I was watching a real-time program. Ajin was more realistic, and like yourself, I prefer realism over anything abstract.

My point is that the creator of Ajin: Demi Hunter let criticism from a certain crowd stop them from continuing the series. I haven't found anything like Ajin: Demi-Hunter, just the same silly, eye-shaking, big-breasted, goof-ball anime. I know this post is old, but hopefully, you've learned not to worry too much about public sentiment. You don't have to explain to anyone why you created your piece of art the way you did.

The public has gotten out control with its need to voice their concerns as if those concerns matter. There's always someone that thinks they can do what you do better, yet wants to buy your product (or hasn't bought it). The people who haven't purchased your product have nothing to say. I purchased your product because I'm on a deadline. As I said, your product is realistic and worth the price. What is more, I would have paid $65 dollars for your project. Thanks for your time and effort! It is much appreciated with no complaints!

44. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks, I agree with everything you said and I appreciate all the praise on this! Yeah this thread is old and I learned a lot since then. I no longer feel the need for validation and I think a lot other artists should stop doing it as well. Just let your art speak for itself! :)