Search Unity

3D [RELEASED] Modular dungeon pack Catacombs - Development Thread v2

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by florianalexandru05, Apr 17, 2016.

1. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

*This asset is currently being changed and updated completely!!*

Asset Store Link
    Showcase Thread

This package is currently being updated and improved further!! Old Stage (outdated)
    Posts underneath are like taking a trip with the time machine, enjoy looking at the bad old graphics!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    RavenOfCode likes this.
  2. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Update!

Eggpunk likes this.
  3. TheSliveR

TheSliveR

Nice work man, keep it up!

4. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks you!

Update!

Finished refining some wall textures. This is how they are going to look like.

_M_S_D_, S4G4N and RavenOfCode like this.
  5. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Not much to show at the moment besides a few parts from the set which are not even finished.

6. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Slowly making the textures better and better as I progress, Improving them as much as I can.

Some brick edge walls I made, could be used as floors as well.

etaxi341 and _M_S_D_ like this.
  7. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

A minor update with small objects. Small low poly pots with 128 px textures. Also made some thumbs but it's a bit simplistic at the moment.

Coming up next I'll make some skulls and bones.

S4G4N likes this.
  8. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Haven't been active for a very long while and beside that I got a nasty virus that threatens my work but I'm back now!
    Thought the cave was missing some natural stone so I made a couple of modular cave rocks:

9. Sergasteam

Sergasteam

Ohhh, this tread is HUGE!:D

10. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Haha, I wish it was as huge. I've been having alot of issues ever since I started. Pc broke down and I was wasting all summer as well as the fact that I got hacked lately but all of it has come to pass and I'm back to working on this.

thanks for the comment!

11. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Back with another update. 2 more stalagmite variations. Like before, it's all just put together.

12. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

13. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Catacomb Bridge, using modular props. Can be assembled anyway you like.

14. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

15. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Put together a scene as to show what you could do with it. It's not perfect as there are some part misplaced but it doesn't really matter for now as is mean to showcase the modular assets.Will come back with screenshots soon.

16. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

As promised I got screenshots. Finally import it into Unity. It did a excellent job with the rendering. I used Lightmaps with a PBR shader. To bad that scetchfab doesn't actually support lightmaps so the result was to be desirable.

17. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Ok, I should wrap this pack up. Made another modular pillar in the meantime. I might still add a few things while I get it ready for unity.

18. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I finished the pack, everything is in Unity right now!

Final Render

All that's left is to make a demo level which will be helpful for people purchasing the pack.
    Making one right now.
    I might get this baby for submission this month! :D

19. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I finally finished my big level demo! Looks like I spoke to soon when I said I wanted to send it to the store 5 days ago. Now you can walk with a torch in the catacombs but I doubt that will be included in the final assets since it's done using the fps controller. I'll be releasing a video of it son!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    Bejasc and Blacklight like this.
  20. Jesper-Nielsen

Jesper-Nielsen

I love this! Perhaps some cave pieces showcasing some wider areas for fighting would be cool?

21. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

That has to be a good idea, unfortunately I made a tighter spaced level. there are 2 wide areas, when you get in the catacombs and deep underground where I made a bottomless pit.
    Thanks for the comment!

22. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I'm well done and finished with this pack. Hopefully I'll be releasing my video one of these days and send the pack for submission.

23. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I made a walk-through video of my modular pack. Gonna send it for submission tomorrow.

24. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

25. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

---NEW!---

26. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

This is some great stuff! Good work. :)

27. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thansk man! :)

28. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Looks great. Do the textures come with height maps for displacement / POM effects?

29. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Yes they do, I included everything from normals, specular, AO and height maps as well. The brick textures have height maps since I used the standard parallax on them, it's included in the shaders by default, I might set up some more showcase scenes or do another video for the pack.

RonnyDance likes this.
  30. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Awesome your pack is bought! Just waiting for the release. I am also not A Fan of comic styled stuff and working on a Horror fantasy scenario like Bloodborne where everything must look pretty real and horrifying. But with the right light your Screenshots look really good and not too comic'ish.

Are you planning to keep the asset updated? Like adding more props or parts in the future? (payed or unpaid)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  31. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I deeply appreciate it! I would like to know more about your project and I am curious what you're doing, I'll give you all the support I can for it and for my pack if you buy it. Send me a link! Regarding my pack, there's a few things you should now about it if you use pbr. My bricks have this problem where due to the reflections it gets shiny in the default Unity lighting or if the reflections/ specular is set to high. To work your way around this you'll need reflection probes or just remove the specular and set it to black. There isn't any problem if you use other non pbr shaders but I set them up for pbr! And yes, I do recommend you use what you can, I just use the default Unity parallax so it looks a bit wonky.

And it looks better with reflection probes.

This image is only rendered with reflection probes. It would look even better if I actually baked it in real time GI, which is what I am doing now.

And these are new screenshots of the same level with real time GI

Idk, if if you use real time GI but I highly recommend it because it will enhance the look of your normal maps by alot, not to mention your lighting will be better.

I sent the pack for approval a few days ago, should take another week maybe. I was planning to make a few more things, like spider webs and a high quality torch since I had to use the small prop from the walls in the video presentation.Maybe I'll be making a volume 2 but at the moment I want to finish another pack.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  32. magique

magique

I just saw that this was released and is available on the store. Congratulations!

florianalexandru05 likes this.
  33. magique

magique

Does this really require 5.4.4 or will it work on 5.4.2?

34. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Sorry for the late reply! I think it does require 5.4.4! I didn't really try opening it in a lower version but it's just art assets so I think you can only import those but Idk about the scense though. Or you could try upgrading unity, 5.4.4 works well for me.

35. magique

magique

Sounds like I just need to import into 5.4.4 and then copy over to my 5.4.2 project and it should work.

36. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Tell me if it will turn out well! You might want to read this:
    http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/1225088/is-it-safe-to-downgrade-a-project-from-unity-54-to.html
    Also look in to: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/317047/lowering-unity-project-version.html
    But I think that's a bit of a stretch. I think I did downgrade my project a few times since I had some issues. But really, the only thing you got to lose is the scenes If they happen to not load.

I think you can downgrade if it's something like 5.4.4 to 5.4.3/2 etc.

37. moco2k

moco2k

Hey, I've just purchased your dungeon pack and I must say you did a great job on it! :)
    I will definitely use this in our game.

However, I would like to ask if you can consider to improve texture sizes for the atlas textures from 2k up to 4k.
    We are working on an FPS game and we need high-res textures. For example, the CatacombsStonePillars atlas texture looks a bit blurry, and it gets worse when it is scaled up. So, I guess it would help a lot to provide the atlas-textures in 4k format, at least the columns.

One more suggestion for a possible future update: It would be very cool to have some broken versions of the columns, gates and such. This would help to create scenarios which are less clean and sterile and look more like an old, grim dungeon, where some centuries have past.

I would really appreciate if you consider these suggestions.
    All the best, and keep up the good work!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  38. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thank you very much for the purchase! :)

Yes, I will consider what you suggested. I am trying to make my work better so I will take all suggestions into consideration. As for the 4k texture, I want to make 4k, especially texture atlases. I noticed that there are alot of people that will make mobile games so I plan to add 2 versions in my future packs, one for high quality and one for mobile.

For now, I can't say I have plans for updates with the pack, but there might be plans for updates in the near future. Also, I might make a few more example scenes and offer them for free to people who bought my pack right here on the threads.

Thank you and good luck with your project!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  39. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I took the decision to make updates (unpaid of course), which might just be only one update in the end. I will be making some more modular pieces, a high quality torch and some spider webs as well as update the pillar models with broken parts and 4k textures all at the same price! Here's an update I am working on, got a bit of help on this one from a friend.

Before I start texturing those, I want to finish the 4k texture update!

moco2k likes this.
  40. moco2k

moco2k

Thank you for this outstanding support and all of your efforts.

41. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I finally finished rebuilding the 4k for the pillars. Unfortunately I lost the sculpts so some details might be a bit blurred out but It turned out pretty good, way better for first person and scaling them up huge! :D
    Here is some screenshots in:

Gama

Linear

Now to update the other models like the archways. I taught at this pack for top down at first so I atlasesd the textures as much as I could and I was fine with that but now it's time for a upgrade! :D

Next I'll make broken versions of the pillars.

moco2k likes this.
  42. moco2k

moco2k

Awesome news. The quality of your work deserves being used in FPS games as well.

43. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

You got a update!
    ---------

I want to announce that I will be leaving the updates for free as samples here on the thread, so everybody that is interested in my pack can have a look in the free sample. I would also advise the people that bought my pack to download them till they are included in the updated pack!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/khkzabp9bd5f4sb/MDC_Update_1.1.unitypackage

44. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Specular + Albedo Textures Updates .zip

I went through all the textures and added roughness/smoothness to all my specular maps and I also added/made a few extra albedo maps out of the diffuse to look better with PBR as well as fixed some color noise on some diffuse textures. It's not full pbr but it's getting close. I would be renaming all my other old textures diffuse maps instead but I kept the naming as albedo despite it being confusing for the sake of easily replacing the old textures. So just go ahead and copy or remove the old textures.
    The specular maps are in Tif format, the old ones are png.

I will consider this a major update. I might go on a long hiatus after this because I'll move in Spain.

So without smoothness I had this issue with reflections, now it looks right in default lighting to. Everything is controlled from the textures and the power of the slider:

I recommend everyone that bought my pack to update with these textures till the pack gets the finall update!

45. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Made a broken version of the pillars. I think I'll upload these later

Unity and some post processing can go a long way!

moco2k likes this.
  46. moco2k

moco2k

Awesome news. Looks very good!

47. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks!

I uploaded the broken columns:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/kj8tt0gnq1q6eun/MDC_Update+1.1b.unitypackage

---

On a side note, I found a really fast workflow, using Zbrush, Blender and Photoshop to make procedural textures. I should mention I don't own or use Substance Designer! I made some pretty basic mud with stones, it's pretty raw but it works very well. I'll include those in the update.

... and put together a fast test scene with GI and post processing. Everything is rendered in Unity!

Next I'll finish the bridge updates and look a bit in my Environment pack,

48. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

The pack is 30% OFF right now!

49. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Made some low red rocks I made a new tile from. Will be included on the update. (2k texture - 512px for each rock)

And here is the tile, still pretty raw, fina textures will be better blended.

Now to texture those bridge models.

50. magique

magique

Finally picked this asset up today. I'll be using this in combination with a dungeon pack by Adventure Forge. I'll be digging in tonight with both packages to see how I can use them together.