Search Unity

[Released]Magic Icon Creator

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DerDicke, Oct 20, 2016.

1. DerDicke

DerDicke

Hello,
    Magic Icon Creator has been released!
    You can easily snapshot icons from anything with no size restriction.
    Also you can one-click-create Items that can live in UI and in the world with PhysX on them.
    Check it out: http://u3d.as/APc

Main features are:
    - One-click icon creation individually or bulk.
    - No coding required. But code is well commented in case you want to extend it.
    - No size restrictions.
    - One-click-create fully functional Items that exist in the game world and game UI. Instantly test them in included test level.
    - Several modes allow you to decide how Items behave in the world. Just choose from drop down.
    - Two modes: Use MIC as your Item system or easily let it plug in to your existing system by generating only the data you need.
    - Comes with an instruction manual :)

Icon Creation:

Item Creation and PhysX:

Have Fun!

2. DerDicke

DerDicke

Ahhh... I forgot:
    Should work with any old version of Unity at least from 5.0 (I don't know how the asset store gods figure out which Unity version an asset needs, most probably they always assume the most recent version).

3. DerDicke

DerDicke

This thread is for support now. So if you have issues or feature requests, please post them here. MIC's Asset Store site links to here now, but must go through review before it is online.

4. DerDicke

DerDicke

bump!

5. usmarshal

usmarshal

@DerDicke I'm currently designing a RPG and we have a simple item system in place. My question is, will we be able to integrate your system into ours?

6. DerDicke

DerDicke

@usmarshal:
    Easily. Just choose 'Keep Only Connection' under '--- Create Settings ---' and create your Items. This will add no additional functionality, just a script with two variables to the newly created prefabs (UI/World) holding the prefabs to create in each case. You can use these variables to create the right prefab just like you create any other prefab as usual.
    Also described in the manual.

usmarshal likes this.
  7. usmarshal

usmarshal

Sounds great, thanks :)

8. DerDicke

DerDicke

9. DerDicke

DerDicke

create your icons with Magic Icon Creator!

10. DerDicke

DerDicke

...and your Items!

11. DerDicke

DerDicke

new Version of MIC is out!

----------------- V1.1-------------------
    - Fixed errors when building for a target platform. You should not have to delete MIC anymore before building.
    - Rotation around y-axis was inverted. Fixed.
    - New additional Rotation mode. Hold LeftCtrl+LeftShift to rotate in steps of 15° around the nearest world axis.
    - Scaling is finer now. Hold LeftShift to scale faster.
    - counting starts at 1 instead of 0 now.
    - MIC should be much more stable for prefabs containing odd scripts.
    - Manual is updated.

12. DerDicke

DerDicke

------- Bug in Unity 5.6--------
    If you want to use the item creation functionality (that is, not only making icons, but actually create items existing in the game world) there is a bug in Unity 5.6 that leads to a white icon image for the item.

Please use Unity 5.5 or earlier in this case.

If you only do snapshots, there is no issue.

13. DerDicke

DerDicke

Published a work around for the issue in my previous post. Package will be online after Asset Store Review.
    Thanks a lot to Vidmantas from Unity QA for providing me that fix in notime.

14. DerDicke

DerDicke

15. DerDicke

DerDicke

Create Icons with Magic Icon Creator!

16. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Hi,

I'm interested in purchasing this asset. Has it been tested with Unity 5.6 and later releases?

Thank You.
    Regards.

17. DerDicke

DerDicke

Tested and working in 5.6, but not tested in later versions.
    If you find any issues in later versions, tell me and I'll try to fix them if possible in reasonable time.

18. DerDicke

DerDicke

just tested in 2017.3.0. Works.

Hermetes likes this.
  19. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Sounds good. I'll get it.

Much appreciated.
    Regards.

Hermetes likes this.
  20. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Hmm, mouse zoom does not work for me. I use the mouse wheel to zoom but it does not work. Mouse works fine everywhere else. In the Scene window I can zoom with the wheel, but in game view I can not. Other move options work just fine, only zoom is not working. Using it on a Mac with Unity 5.6.5f1 64bit.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Correction the zoom does work with the mouse wheel, but I have to scroll forever for it to zoom. It move extremely slowly, holding shift key actually stops it from scrolling all together.

EDIT2: I had to hack the script to get the zoom to work in a useful way. The zooming altogether seems to be too granular at default. Also what I found is that if I press the shift key the Input.GetAxis is never true. That's why pressing left shift does nothing. Perhaps the GetKey clears the input somehow. Can you verify this works correctly for you? Perhaps it's my setup my h/w, the thing is that my mouse zoom and keyboard are working fine everywhere else.

I also think that different sizes of mesh prefabs can mess things up when it comes to zooming. I would suggest testing zooming with different size of prefabs and see if it behaves as you expect.

I've hanged the code so I can use keys 0,1 and 2 to set the scaleSpeed to curMeshPrefabSize and the 1 and 2 simply += 0.1 to it and -= 0.1 to it. I can then adjust the zoom and that make is usable.

EDIT3: I was able to take a snapshot of a particle effect I'm interested in. I have no background, so expect it to be transparent around the particle effect. Then when I take the resulting image, change to Sprite and change Alpha Source to "From Gray Scale" I see the image I expect, but the background is not truly transparent, there is a gray transparent hue, like gray smoked glass instead of pure transparency. Am I doing something wrong here?

Regards.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  21. DerDicke

DerDicke

Hi Jester,
    sorry, didn't get any notification about your posting, dunno why.
    Transparency problem:
    Only thing I can think might be anti aliasing. MIC does store what Unity renders, it doesn't use a custom render path. So changing Unity rendering may help (light color perhaps?).

As for scaling speed I might be doing another version where scaling is adjustable.

EDIT:
    Transparency problem: May it be you refer to the Unity preview window? This always show a grey background for transparency. Best check alpha by opening the png by an image viewer/editor.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  22. DerDicke

DerDicke

Version 1.3 is uploaded and awaits approval from the asset store yods.
    Zoom speed is adjustable by hand in addition to automatically calculating it now. just change "Scale Speed Factor" anytime. Default is 1.

23. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Ok. I'll check it out. Sorry didn't get a notification about your reply in the forum.

24. DerDicke

DerDicke

wow! MIC 1.3 is online. After 1 day!
    Thanks, Asset Store Team.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  25. Phesant33

Phesant33

Hi, I really liked using MIC prior to 1.3, it did take ages to scroll through to find my items.
    Now however it really can't find anything. I've tried so many different prefabs, all positioned at 0,0,0, and increased their scale massively, but all to no avail. I've tried many different scrol factors too from 0.5 to 50 and nothing seems too help, just cant seem to find the items. Previously they were tiny litle specs in the disntance that would eventually come into view with masses of scrolling, but now I don't even get that. If this could be fixed (or if you know what I'm doing wrong) that would be great! really like this otherwise

26. DerDicke

DerDicke

Scaling works exactly like before 1.3, i only added an additional factor for it. So if you don't change this factor, it should work as usual.

This factor can be found under: MagicItemCreator/Capture Icons/Scale Speed Factor
    Default is 1.0.
    It would help me to hear if this fixes your problem.

Is this package you try to snapshot available for free? So I could do some testing with it.

27. DerDicke

DerDicke

Probably this doesn't help, but for testing i used several packages, one of them is a big dungeon art package.
    I experienced some of the prefabs do not have a mesh. Finding them in Project view and dragging them into the running 'IconPhoto' scene revealed it in Inspector.
    Would look like this:

upload_2018-8-14_10-18-55.png

Maybe this helps. Seems some bigger art packages auto generate prefabs which doesn't seem to work always.
    Don't wanne shift responsibility, but maybe this might be something to test.

28. DerDicke

DerDicke

Ok, will upload a new version of MIC with stronger checks for valid meshes later this day.

In previous versions MIC did only check if there is a MeshFilter or SkinnedMeshRenderer on the prefab, now it will also check if the Mesh is not null.
    My testing shows this is a big improvement. You'll always see something (hopefully). Don't know why i didn't do this beforehand, probably i just assumed valid Meshes.

Best way to detect if there is something visible and where it is, is to use the Scene View when MIC runs.
    The prefab will be Instantiated as child of the Camera/Icon, so click on the Camera to get an idea of geometry, just like this:

upload_2018-8-14_11-41-13.png

Good luck!

29. DerDicke

DerDicke

New package 1.4 is on the way.

30. Phesant33

Phesant33

Hi DerDicke,
    Thanks so much for your fast reply's. I tried your option where you use the scene view to navigate to the mesh and move it infront of the camera. The problem was that none of my prefabs were spawning in line with the camera and background, dosn't matter how much rotation or zoom, they were esentially benieith the camera and so never came up. I can use the scene view to put them in the right spot.

Any chance you could make an update that some how made the prefab at least visible in the initial view, so that we only had to do minimal scrollng and positioning? I don't know how you could do this, maybe with raycast? just a thought

Also is there the posibility of a rotation scale factor too?

Thanks so much for all your help, once again great asset you have here.

31. DerDicke

DerDicke

Point is, MIC already calculates the bounds of the prefab and positions it accordingly so that camera can see the whole thing.
    This works pretty dandy usually. But it does not work good in case of spread out object collections. Say you have a prefab containing a whole scene in your big RPG underworld game. In this case MIC would calculate a big object and would position it probably 1000m away from camera.

32. DerDicke

DerDicke

MIC 1.4 is available in Asset Store.
    Again, the Asset Store Team was quick as hell... Thanks, guys.

33. Phesant33

Phesant33

Wow, this seems to be happening, except to the best of my knowledge it happens on swords and shelids etc one mesh items that arn't very big and don't contain much space at all, unless I am doing something wrong? to create the prefab I firtly import the model, then right click create new -> prefab, then I drag the model onto the prefab, and then scale it down, maybe this is where the issues is? in down scaling? Ill have to give it a try prior to down scaling. Thanks again

34. DerDicke

DerDicke

Just had a look at the code. This is probably it. MIC uses unscaled bounds.
    Will fix this.
    In the meantime: there is a scaling factor when importing a mesh. Best scale here. Use transform.localScale only for GameObjs that will differ from the others.

35. DerDicke

DerDicke

New version awaits approval.

36. Phesant33

Phesant33

Wow, that was quick, thanks!

37. DerDicke

DerDicke

New version uploaded. Awaits approval. Nothing new, only a bit of code cleanup and better documentation on scripts. So if you are happily working with MIC, update doesn't bring you any advantages.

38. DerDicke

DerDicke

New version online.

39. DerDicke

DerDicke

Version 1.7 submitted to Asset Store. Awaits approval.
    Improved batching. Enable script Transform Override to save placement of Items individually (in scene IconPhoto).
    Helpful when rendering out a given set of Icons several times, e.g. when experimenting with several backgrounds or post processing options.

40. DerDicke

DerDicke

Version 1.7 is available in Asset Store thanks to fastest Asset Store Team on the planet ;-).

41. DerDicke

DerDicke

Version 1.9 uploaded. Should be online in a few days. I had to upload in Unity 2018.4, because upload to the Asset Store in Unity 5.5 was not possible anymore. Still, this version is tested and runs without issues in Unity 5.5 up to Unity 2021.1.

Contains workarounds for new bugs in Unity and fixes a few 'deprecated'-warnings around Unity's prefab system.

I replaced the Directory picker by a Drag&Drop Zone.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  42. DerDicke

DerDicke

Version 1.9 is online now.

43. jnbbender

jnbbender

@DerDicke Seem to be having an issue in 2021.3.3. None of the UI buttons seem to be working. I am using your SamplePrefabs and can't take snapshots or move between them.

44. DerDicke

DerDicke

Will have a look.

45. DerDicke

DerDicke

Hi JT,

Do you get this error message?
    upload_2022-7-5_11-47-18.png

Reason is, there are no sample Prefabs to work with in the package.
    MIC is looking for MeshRenderer and ShinnedMeshRenderer in your Prefabs. If there are none, MIC cannot iconize the prefab.

Best use the prefabs you want to turn into Icons directly by dragging their parent folder to "Search Prefabs".

Good Luck!
    CC

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
  46. jnbbender

jnbbender

Thanks for getting back to me. Turns out that wasn't the issue. The issue was I had more than one scene open. Even though the Magic Icon Creator scene was set as the Active scene, I had a previously opened scene which is used for support in my game.
    Once I closed all scenes it was good.
    Whoops.

47. amindler

amindler

Can this not create icons with a transparent background? No matter what I do, there's some sort of background behind my objects.

48. amindler

amindler

and never mind, got it to work. not sure exactly what it was that was causing it not to output alpha but... now it is? yay!

49. DerDicke

DerDicke

It's the Inport Settings. Choose Sprite and/or a DXT5 or any other pixel format wit Alpha.