Search Unity

[RELEASED] Kinematic Car Suspension - Offroad car

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by KeereeDev, Feb 23, 2017.

1. KeereeDev

KeereeDev

I'm glad to present my second suspension asset - Offroad car. This realistic physically based fully moveable dynamic suspension totally increases realism of your car game. It's absolutely easy to use: drop fully rigged prefab in scene and add car body. It works with standard wheel colliders and doesn't need any setup. The asset includes the suspension model with script, simple car controller and camera controller.

PC DEMO
    WEB DEMO

ASSET STORE LINK
    (I highly recommend to download PC demo)

-All elements are moveable
    -PBR Materials
    -(Optional) Rusty textures
    -Simple use - just drag&drop prefab into scene
    -Wide customization - fits any car and size
    -Beautiful C# code
    -Great performance

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING:
    After you imported the package, make sure to set your fixed time step to 0.001!

Kinematic Car Suspension - Sport Car

Ask any question in the thread or at keereedev@gmail.com

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  2. alienorbit

alienorbit

There are many things I love about this. But, really want to figure out a few things before I sink too much more time into it.

A. I need capability to roll / crash the car (and possibly reset it). Is this as easy as tuning an "up vector", or have you written this to ensure it doesn't happen?

B. I need to be able to collide the drive shafts and differentials with physics objects in the scene. Any thoughts on how to make that work?

C. transitioning to the moving platforms is very abrupt - the wheels just "snap" into place - even some penetration might be acceptable, and a sort of "faked" transition over like 200 milliseconds (not ideal - but i understand it's not an easy thing to solve)

D. any idea how to introduce some tire deformation in there? doesn't have to be "real" / 100% accurate - but something that sort of smooshes the tires to align a with the normal of the collision vector?

anything in there on your road map?

cheers

3. KeereeDev

KeereeDev

Well I'll try to answer all I can

A. Rolling the car is absolutely ok, the suspension behaves as it's intended. What about crashing, I'm afraid the system won't work if you manually change position of any element. Resetting is also ok.

B. I just added mesh colliders to the driveshafts and other elements, works good.

C. Yes, I agree with that, but that's built-in wheel colliders behaviour. I have a thought on how to fix it, but it would need some time. I will implement it in a week or two.

D. Tbh I have no experience with runtime mesh deformation, but that's an interesting thing, I can promise that I will try to implement it, but don't expect it to be done soon.

Also there were some little bugs in the package caused by new unity version, I fixed it now and it's pending for review, it will be out in 2-3 days I think.

alienorbit likes this.
  4. haroonyousaf

haroonyousaf

Hi there..! Is this also gonna work for vehicles which have more wheels?? Like bigger Trucks etc. I really want to buy this one for my game.

5. KeereeDev

KeereeDev

Answered you in email.

6. KeereeDev

KeereeDev

Update 1.1 released: 6-wheels trucks support. image.jpeg

ice2011 likes this.
  7. Autonoma

Autonoma

I just emailed you.

Thanks,
    Zach

8. khos

khos

I am loving your asset, putting it to some good use in my game, I have noticed a behaviour that I would like your advice on if possible please. When driving and hitting a wall or object head on (slowly), then keep on driving forward so the car still wants to drive, then the axles will start/rotate with an odd rotation, see screenshot below: sample-of-axles-out-place.png

Do yo know why this might be happening, or how can I avoid this?

9. khos

khos

Regarding:
    D. Tbh I have no experience with runtime mesh deformation, but that's an interesting thing, I can promise that I will try to implement it, but don't expect it to be done soon.

If just sticking with the standard wheel collider....you could consider to dynamically adjust the wheel collider radius by small amounts depending on velocity of the car onto the ground? That would be a "fake" way around to look like the tire is soft maybe, just a thought.

10. KeereeDev

KeereeDev

Hi khos!
    This issue is fixed already, I just had no time to update the asset. I'll update it really soon, although if you want to get the update right now, please contact me via email and I will send you the package.

I think it would be "too fake" :)

11. khos

khos

I have used this technique on two games and it seemed to be ok, of course the bulging/deform of the tire is not there..
    Another technique to consider can be to create a wheel with a very stiff interactive cloth mesh as the tire (not the hub), I have seen this been used before, that works from what I could see but will take a lot of fiddling I suppose? But could work with standard wheel collider.

12. Fabbs

Fabbs

Hey! Can this be used with other than the standard wheelcontroller?

13. Crossway

Crossway

When I set fixed time step to 0.001 my game frame rates falls down to 2fps! Why should we do this? Can you please fix it?

14. blamejane

blamejane

Sent you an email with a question. I'm interested in purchasing this asset.

15. Anhella

Anhella

good day
    how to speed up the off road car.
    thanks in advance

16. talibjan

talibjan

17. khos

khos

Can't you buy it like anyone else? I did I misunderstand something?

18. khos

khos

Hi there, just to ask, did this asset ever get updated with the fix on asset store?
    Or where can I get the fix from?
    Thanks