Search Unity

[RELEASED] Gater (Portals System)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Deleted User, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi everyone.

Version 1.2.8-3 has been submitted. Changelog:

- Further code improvements.

RELEASED!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2017
    hopeful likes this.
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi everyone.

Version 1.2.8-4 has been submitted. Changelog:

- Code improvements on runtime.
    - First Person Controller based on Unity 5.5 has been adapted to Gater, and reimplemented into the package.

RELEASED!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2017
  3. blizter

blizter

Hello,

Thanks a lot. Gater works great, however I have some issues.

I cannot make it work in a build. Works perfectly in the editor. In a build, the portals are just white.

It seems that when the portals are far from the main camera, they stop rendering, even though they are within the far plane.

Thanks again!

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Download the latest version 1.28-4. I have fixed some bugs in runtime (included those that you have found).

5. blizter

blizter

Thanks man. This fixed my runtime issue.

I found that my issue with the portals not rendering correctly was caused by the layers / excluded layers not being setup correctly. Preventing the portals from rendering each other fixed the issue. (I only need 2 portals and they will never see each other in my case)

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

:D

Edit: Ok, I will fix this other issue in 1.2.8-5, before switch to 1.3.0.

7. blizter

blizter

If you want to recreate the issue on your side: place two portals back to back without anything between them. If they are close enough to each other, you should have the issue.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks. Maybe I will jump directly to 1.3.0, there are many changes that I want to apply.

9. local306

local306

Has anyone here integrated UFPS character controllers with this package?

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Not at the moment. But if someone will provide me the latest package of this asset (with approvation of creator), I can adapt it to my script.

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi everyone.

Version 1.3.0 has been submitted. Changelog:

- Added one-click portal pairing.
    - Added a flag for distorsion animation based texture, on portals reflection.
    - It's now possible to exclude gameobjects from portal render.
    - It's now possible to separately exclude gameobjects from portal and character trigger.
    - Script variable structure has been updated.
    - Fixed a bug where portals reflect itself.
    - Fixed a bug where portals generate artifacts at the end of reflection.

RELEASED!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2017
    hopeful likes this.
  12. detomato

detomato

Does it work with Unity 5.5 Personal Edition? Coz it doesn't work for mine.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes, work with both editions of Unity 5.5.

What problem you are getting?

14. TeslaSyndrome

TeslaSyndrome

Hello H92,

Do you know of any way to fix this error:

PhotonView ID duplicate found: 1001. New: View (0)1001 on Player -560510(Clone) old: View (0)1001 on Player -560510 . Maybe one wasn't destroyed on scene load?! Check for 'DontDestroyOnLoad'. Destroying old entry, adding new.
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    NetworkingPeer:RegisterPhotonView(PhotonView) (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/NetworkingPeer.cs:3415)
    PhotonView:Awake() (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/PhotonView.cs:257)
    UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(GameObject, Vector3, Quaternion)
    PortalManager:OnTriggerStay(Collider) (at Assets/Gater (Portal System)/Scripts/PortalManager.cs:575)

I'm using Photon Unity Networking to build a multiplayer game. Both portals are located in the same scene. However from what I've seen, I think when I walk through the first portal, my character gets destroyed? Then tries to be instantiated at the new portal?

I'm quite confused here, any input? Thanks.

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

When you walk through the portal a clone is created, but the script never delete the originale gameobject.

Maybe you must better configure photon.

16. Bardiel13th

Bardiel13th

Hi, great plugin, but I'm wondering if this will work with webgl? I'm trying to create a simple recursion effect (basically the demo scene fall & recursion) in webgl, however the portals just render as black. Any simple way around this?

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

Try to change shader to another screen uv remap type, also if I think that webgl must be improved.

18. Bardiel13th

Bardiel13th

Hi, not sure what this actually means. Where would I find a different screen uv remap type?

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

Different shader...

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi everyone.

Version 1.3.1 has been submitted. Changelog:

- Render textures creation/destruction code has been rewritten.
    - Fixed a bug where code functions of updates were called double time.

RELEASED!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2017
  21. sobsurfing

sobsurfing

Alright I've just tried the lastest update, I don't know if it's just something I'm doing wrong but using the portal prefabs and linking them through the script interface I get a white shader on both portals, maybe it has to do with my game's texture filtering or antialisasing too I'm not sure, anyone experienced something similar?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  22. Deleted User

Deleted User

Also in play mode?

23. sobsurfing

sobsurfing

Yes, in the editor I see it as pink and if I look at the shader I see it full white, also tried pasting your whole demo into the scene with the same result, shader should atleast appear while in the editor I think (when you look in the inspector)?

It could have to do with how the player is instanciated when the game is started (multiplayer game)?

But then it shouldn't be white in the editor aswell?

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

Try to import the package on an empty project, and test one of my example scenes. Maybe there is a problem with your current project.

25. sobsurfing

sobsurfing

Here's the error I'm getting:

Could not create a custom UI for the shader 'Gater/UV Remap'. The shader has the following: 'CustomEditor = ShaderForgeMaterialInspector'. Does the custom editor specified include its namespace? And does the class either derive from ShaderGUI or MaterialEditor?
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Maybe cause you used ShaderForge for it?

I did manage to make it work in a different scene though, I wonder what could be wrong, maybe just a weird error showing up because something else is wrong in my scene for some reason.

Edit: When using a different Scene if I go twice in a portal I get an error saying the shader material isn't standard but it's the portal manager that changes it when I enter the portal to StandardClippable or something like that.

26. Deleted User

Deleted User

Nope, this is a warning that not cause problem to the portal (exists from long time). Anyway yes, those other problem can cause a break in the execution, in practice you must use only a gameobject with standard shader (if you want have a mesh clip over the portal).

27. sobsurfing

sobsurfing

Alright thanks, btw have you tested thoses in big open maps and what kind of results have you gotten, I've been trying to use the prefabs in big maps but it seems to cause errors, the portal never spawns basically. It was working flawlessly in smaller maps though. (and about your answer I was indeed using the standard shader that's why I wasn't so sure why this was happening).

28. Deleted User

Deleted User

However if appear white, you must pairing the portals before (this is the first and last case when portal appear of this color), instead if appear pink the first part of code (OnEnable) not worked properly (I think).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2017
  29. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi everyone.

Version 1.3.2 has been submitted. Changelog:

- General bugfixing and code improvements.
    - Added "Auto Pair" features, useful to spawn prefabs without manual pairing of portals.

RELEASED!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
    hopeful likes this.
  30. etoiletlune

etoiletlune

Hi,

Appreciate your work!
    May I ask does it work in VR, I tried it with my HTC vive, seems doesn't work. Should I do some extra set up?

Thank you!

31. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi.

Sorry, but VR it's currently not supported.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  32. sobsurfing

sobsurfing

Alright thanks a lot for the support, much appreciated!

Do you intend to optimize prefab importation in big maps (scenes)?

Dragging it directly into the scene unity freezes (while still responding) for a few minutes and then the prefab gets destroyed for some reason (and error shows up at the bottom saying that it's trying to access something that was destroyed, portal manager I believe, I can provide more info if needed) and dragging it in the hirerachy I'm about 40 mins. in and it's still working (frozen but still responding), tested in a different project aswell on different computers (a friend of mine tested it).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  33. Deleted User

Deleted User

Have you tried 1.32 version? I have made some changes to update functions.

34. sobsurfing

sobsurfing

Yes, it seems to work a bit better, the prefab gets added but then the scene starts lagging heavily and it's impossible to edit anything then. There must be an update function that keeps being called over and over while in the editor and which causes and issue!

Looked a bit more into it and I think being able to disable the shader from rendering while in the editor could help for sure, can probably be done through unity settings, will let you know!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  35. Deleted User

Deleted User

Can you give me more detail about performance consumptions, during the use of editor mode? Maybe there is a specific function that overloaded the editor (try to isolate camera.render and graphic.blit in lateupdate).

36. sobsurfing

sobsurfing

Alright will do, also, did you manage to get this to work with a rigidbody controller? The issue I noticed is that the rigidbody dosen't seem to rotate if the two portals are not in the same directions, I can probably fix this with a bit of tweaking though!

37. Deleted User

Deleted User

In this case it's only matter of better management of rigidbody controller, because with only rigidbody component the gameobjects will be rotated and directions in the right mode (see ping pong example scene for further demonstration).

38. sobsurfing

sobsurfing

I tried and I get the same results with your own Rigidbody Controller, I'm using rather standard rigidbody movement in my script aswell.

I can gladly show you over teamviewer if it can help in fixing it.

Edit: I think the issue is with the mouse movement, I will see if I can adapt my code to this somehow. The thing is that the mouse camera rotation is decided by the mouse and rotating the rigidbody usually dosen't have an effect on camera angle. The velocity remains in the right direction so the rigidbody is indeed being rotated. Maybe the script will only rotate camera if a character controller is detected?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  39. andrew_arthur

andrew_arthur

First of all thank you so much for this asset!

At the moment I'm working on a scene for a school assignment, and the portal is working exactly as it should in the editor, however when I build the project the portal turns out white and stops working.

I've installed the latest version of the portal system, and I'm getting the following repeating message in the build log:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    at PortalManager.LateUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

Please let me know if there's a way to fix this!

Thanks!

40. Deleted User

Deleted User

You have a PM.

41. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi everyone.

Version 1.3.3 has been submitted. Changelog:

- Fixed white portals during runtime.
    - Various code improvements.

RELEASED

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2017
  42. celinedrules

celinedrules

I just wanted to say this is awesome but I am getting en error with the StandardClippable shader.

Shader error in 'Custom/StandardClippable': invalid subscript 'boxMax' at Assets/Gater (Portal System)/Shaders/PlaneClipping/standard_clipped.cginc(275) (on d3d11)

Any suggestions?

43. Deleted User

Deleted User

https://github.com/toxicFork/Unity3D-Plane-Clipping

44. alsharefeeee

alsharefeeee

First thank you @H92 for this great asset and thank you for making it for free.

Second, Does the "clipping" thing work on mobile?

Thanks

45. Deleted User

Deleted User

I haven't tested yet...

46. glumleaf

glumleaf

Hey, thanks for this asset. It works really well, and the fact that it's free is awesome.

One small thing that I'm trying to figure out: I'd like to use my own FPS controller with your portals, but I've encountered a tiny issue. Whenever I walk through a portal, I can see behind the portal for a split second before teleporting, as you can see here. Here is a screenshot the scene setup I'm using to test stuff (it's a slightly modified version of your FPS Square scene, with a pink wall in the center so I can tell when I'm looking through the portal).

I think it's related to the fact that my FPS controller uses LateUpdate, while the standard FPS controller uses FixedUpdate.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? I would just use the standard FPS controller, but the movement and aiming is a bit too jittery (I think due to FixedUpdate).

Thanks!

EDIT: For now, switching my FPS controller's movement over to FixedUpdate fixes the portal issue, although the movement is slightly less smooth than I'd like it to be.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  47. Deleted User

Deleted User

LateUpdate (for portals cameras) and FixedUpdate (for FPS controller) is the best combination, for now I haven't found a better one.

48. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi everyone.

Version 1.3.4 has been submitted. Changelog:

- FPS Controller has been updated to Unity 2017.1.0.
    - Clipping Plane shader has been updated to Unity 2017.1.0.
    - Projection shader has been updayed to Shader Forge 1.37.
    - Some minor improvements.

RELEASED!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2017
  49. chris-z562

chris-z562

Bug report
    - Unity 2017.1.0f3
    - Gater 1.3.4
    - macOS
    - FPS scene (haven't changed anything)

Works in editor (also play mode), but when built the portals flicker like this

50. Deleted User

Deleted User

Strange...Work well on my build on Windows.

I think that it's a bug of Unity on Mac...