Search Unity

Fog Volume 3

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DavidMiranda, Jan 30, 2014.

1. sashahush

sashahush

Looks amazing, are there any issues if i were to render particles with in this fog volume?

2. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

finally got it! I'm seeing clipping when I use noise, its like either the "soft" setting is broken or it's falloff very short?
    Objects that used to softly move through the noise now cuts hard, the ground as well.
    Thanks

3. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

You will se the fog trough the particles because they won't write depth :/

4. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Can you show me a screenshot? Anyway, I forgot to delete a test line of code. It will be fixed on 1.12.2, which was uploaded yesterday. Maybe that's the problem.
    Sorry my mistakes due to extreme stress :/

5. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

That fixed it! working great. thank you very much. Its a big prt of my game's look, I appreciate it!
    Hopefully having me off your butt now helps ;)
    thanks again!

DavidMiranda likes this.
  6. DennG

DennG

Hi David,

I've got some issues with the Fog on Mobile.
    On some devices it's purple (Galaxy S3) and on others it's not visible (HTC One M8).

Fog Settings

Fog in Editor

Fog on Samsung Galaxy S3

What am I doing wrong?

7. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Humm, it's not your fault. Unfortunately I don't have an android device anymore. But try this, open the shader and remove this: #pragma glsl
    let me know if that works.

8. DennG

DennG

Not working :/
    I removed #pragma glsl and compiled the shader.
    Still pink fog on the Galaxy S3 and not visible on HTC One M8.

9. augi

augi

I just started using fog volume today to test it out. However, I'm not sure what is wrong with my version. I'm not seeing a "fog volume scale" in the attributes. Also, when opening the demo scene, the edges of the fog are not soft at all(this might be caused by the scale issue). I am using a personal edition of Unity 5 with OSX.

10. BobBobson108

BobBobson108

Hello, I'm also unable to see any noise. I'm working in an Android project and I'm in the default noise scene that comes with the package and using the default parameters. Part of the trouble too is that the documentation is a little unclear as to how to use the noise settings to achieve specific effects.

11. DennG

DennG

Is the fog working on your android device? Mine is pink and I don't know how to get it right.

12. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Seems like you don't have the latest version

13. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

A
    Android does not support 3D textures

14. whaleo

whaleo

Can't this to work to work on iOS. I tried a fresh project with fog volume, a cube, and the standard assets and effects. Works beautifully in Unity. But there's no fog when i run the exported build on my iPad, the rest of the scene is fine though. Other tests showed the "pink box" problem. Are there certain settings, scripts, effects that I need to have? I'm running Unity 5 Personal

15. AR-Bridge

AR-Bridge

Hi David,

I'm using your Fog Volume, have some trouble. The problem is like this.

before fog.JPG after fog.JPG

As you see, leaves in tree are not shown well. But I don't know how fix it.

My Setting is below.

Deferred Rendering.

Leaves shader : Nature/Tree soft Occlusion Leaves

Could you help me?

16. AndrewShouldice

AndrewShouldice

This looks great. Does it support orthographic cameras yet?

17. AltNick

AltNick

Hello!

I can't build at all on Android, using unity 5 and the latest version of this. Ie. just trying to build one of your demo scenes, in a project only containing your package, unity hangs while building, Shader Compilers going full blast all along.

Checking the editor log, I can find an error related to the shader file (which, given the above conditions, I suppose is a good candidate for 'what is causing trouble') which is very vague to me, but maybe can help you:

Code (CSharp):
    2. Shader compiler: internal error compiling shader snippet type=0 platform=9: Error waiting for read in external process
    3. (Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/Tools/UnityShaderCompiler/ShaderCompilerClient.cpp Line: 716)
    5. Shader compiler: exception while compiling shader snippet. Thread=41148 Pipe=\\.\pipe\UnityShaderCompiler-64bit-4-41148 Type=0 platform=9. Source:
    Any ideas on what could be causing this? I've tried on two different machines, too.

18. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

That's because those shaders don't write zdepth. Do you notice we can see the leaves in front of the barks? Can you try another alpha tested shader?

19. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Hi.
    I have spent a lot of time until I was able to build it for android. I was lucky, It was built without any errors. The bad thing is that the android device I currently have is not supported because it has a tegra 2 processor, a Galaxy R mobile.

20. whaleo

whaleo

Thanks for the continued support. We look forward to a fix! Esp for iOS :)

21. AltNick

AltNick

Hi David, thanks for the reply!

The problem I run into happens even before I try anything on the device though, just building an Android build is what crashes Unity, so you could try just doing that(ie. building an apk for one of your demo levels), and if you could make it so that unity gets to the end of the building process, that might turn out to work fine on device, I wouldn't mind helping you test that afterwards.

Else, any suggestions on what to look at? And maybe you want to update the the store page, for at the moment it really doesn't quite work on Android.

22. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Hi! Maybe we can work together on this. Send me your email in a PM

23. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Hello guys,
    Would you like to use Fog Volume to get convincing clouds? Take a look:

2015-06-23_19-19-58.jpg 2015-06-23_19-21-14.jpg 2015-06-23_19-21-51.jpg

24. GreeenMamba

GreeenMamba

Hello David,

I just purchased your Volume Fog tool. But I am running into many trouble with it.

1. The settings:

- Inscattering Shape
    - Inscattering Intensity
    - Inscattering Start Distance
    - Inscattering Transition
    - 3D Noise Scale
    - 3D Noise Step Size
    - Noise Volume
    - Noise Intensity
    - Noise Contrast
    - Sun
    - Draw Order

aso Are NOT working. Nothing changes. Any Idea why? I reinstalled your tool several times now.

2. I managed to export it once on iOS 8.3. But then everything turned pink. but mostly when I try to export it I get the following errors:

An asset is marked with HideFlags.DontSave but is included in the build:
    Asset: 'Assets/FogVolume/Resources/FogVolumeIcon.psd'
    (You are probably referencing internal Unity data in your build.)
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

Building - Failed to write file: resources.assets

UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

Error building Player: Couldn't build player because of unsupported data on target platform.
    I attached all the screenshots. I am working on Unity 5.1.1 Pro iOS Pro licence

It would be great if you could help me with that. Because I want this tool so bad. If it would work it would be an awesome tool :)

Thanks - Carmen
    Bildschirmfoto 2015-06-24 um 18.51.38.png Bildschirmfoto 2015-06-24 um 18.51.33.png Bildschirmfoto 2015-06-24 um 18.51.20.png Bildschirmfoto 2015-06-24 um 18.51.11.png

25. punk

punk

26. AltNick

AltNick

Hi David!

had a minute to look at the Android issue in the meantime? I sent you my email btw, so ,if I can help somehow, let me know.

27. sashahush

sashahush

wow thats amazing!
    great work!

DavidMiranda likes this.
  28. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Those clouds look amazing :)

DavidMiranda likes this.
  29. Jon-Jennings

Jon-Jennings

Hi
    I bought this add on a few weeks back and I have just tried to use it, but it doesn't seem to work with the latest Unity update. Am I correct and is this being looked into?

30. AltNick

AltNick

Was working fine for me in Unity 5.1, so I'd suppose not. As far as I know, it only doesn't work on Android currently.

31. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Works fine for me in unity 5.1p2, defferred, dx11

32. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Hi guys. Im making some demos for you to play with. Hope you like the upcoming Fog Volume 2!!

2015-07-02_21-20-00.jpg 2015-07-02_21-22-36.jpg 2015-07-02_21-22-55.jpg

33. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Looks great!! ETA? Is it the same code as the noise volumes? They are amazing but unfortunatly seem too slow for me, in VR. Anything you can do to allow for more performance options would be great! Obviously it all depends on the full scene, having more options might allow for it in my particular case. Thanks!

hopeful likes this.
  34. benflock

benflock

Hi David

noticed that its been mentioned above but is there any solve or word on IOS and the fog appearing as a pink box?

thanks

b

35. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

I have made deep changes in the code. As volumetric stuff is expensive, I have disabled it in the shader for platforms different than dx9, dx11 and glsl, so textures will work only on PC and mac machines. Im about to publish the new version, so let's begin with mobile platforms later.

36. benflock

benflock

Hi David

thanks for your reply, when you say later, what sort of time scale are we talking?
    it obviously says that the plugin works for ios on the asset store page, and it looks like it has in the past?

thanks

b

37. GreeenMamba

GreeenMamba

ProductPage.png
    Does that mean that I bought a tool which I can't use now? You wrote in the description of the product that it will work on iOS. So when is it going to be fixed?

thanks - carmen

38. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

It worked long ago, back in Unity 4.5. Back then I had an android and a mac pro but I don't have any of those now. I bought a cheap android some weeks ago just for testing this but unfortunately it has a Tegra2, which is not supported in Unity 5. Then I had to rewrite stuff because Unity5 had broken stuff, different way of doing things, I also made changes in the shader... So as you can see, supporting every platform is hell.
    I removed that information from the description and documentation, I can't support platforms I don't have anymore. So all I can do is to refund you your money because this is a nightmare.

39. benflock

benflock

Hi David

i understand multiplatform development must be hard.

if you don't realistically think mobile is i likely in the near future (next few months) a refund would be great thank you. how do we handle that?

do you know if foggy lights is currently working on ios, i could achieve some of the same visual stuff i am after by perhaps purchasing that?

thanks

b

40. DennG

DennG

41. benflock

benflock

Hi David

any thoughts on that refund?

thanks

b

42. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

PM me with your invoice

43. bmccall1

bmccall1

Hey so I had to stop using fog volume throughout the beta for 5 because of a lot of problems. I just recently got 5.1 Unity upgraded and decided to add fog back in.

As soon as I did import, this happened. I cannot figure out how to fix it.

Those are not fog items by the way, just cube objects.

Attached Files:

44. bmccall1

bmccall1

So I created a brand new unity project, with none of my old stuff, and none of your sample scenes work. There are problems with all of them. Console errors, purple objects, white objects.

Any help?

45. bmccall1

bmccall1

You know in one of the reviews of your product on the asset store, you chastized someone for airing dirty laundry there, saying that this forum was the place to get help.

I don't feel like a week without answer makes this a very good forum.

[EDIT: The email button from the asset page worked. Im an idiot]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  46. hopeful

hopeful

@bmccall1 - Sometimes the forum fails to notify thread owners of new posts. Also, it's always possible a dev is temporarily out of the country on vacation and is not checking the forum.

If you need a prompt response on an urgent matter, always use the support email that's listed on the asset page. For most devs that's the top priority access method.

DavidMiranda likes this.
  47. bmccall1

bmccall1

Well on the asset page all there was is a a link to his website where I left a message. I hope that gets to them. Also, going back through his posting history, he tends to disappear for weeks at a time with regularity.

In the end I don't care, I just want the fog to work. I have had problems with it since Unity 5 started being developed but always kept it in mind for when things settled down. Now I'm ready to cut a trailer, and literally, this fog is what has me a week behind on starting the trailer...

48. bmccall1

bmccall1

Any other suggestions?

49. hopeful

hopeful

Nope, that was it.

50. bmccall1

bmccall1

[Edited because I'm stoopid]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015