Search Unity

1. We're looking for feedback on Unity Starter Kits! Let us know what you’d like.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2017.2 beta is now available for download.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity 2017.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Introducing the Unity Essentials Packs! Find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out all the fixes for 5.6 on the patch releases page.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Help us improve the editor usability and artist workflows. Join our discussion to provide your feedback.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Fog Volume 3

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DavidMiranda, Jan 30, 2014.

1. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

Both of those look pretty amazing!

2. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

I'm running into a weird horizon line issue in my desert dust storm scene. I set up a basic uniform fog and then added some noise and tinkered with the settings to get something that looks pretty close to what I want in the editor window.

FV32_editor1.png

However, when I go into preview mode to check it out in the camera, I'm getting this odd line...

FV32_playmode1.png

The ground is a giant plane (size 20480), and the scene uses a 6-sided cube skybox. Any ideas on how I can get rid of that horizon line issue?

3. kerrmedia

kerrmedia

So when Fog Volume is enabled, the gun attached to my FPS Character controller fires bullets that are hitting something around the player. When Fog Volume is disabled, the bullets fire and go until they hit something in the scene. This is an atmospheric effect, why is this effecting physics?

4. MrDonk

MrDonk

Hey all,

Just received this as part of purchasing Unity Plus, but for some reason the fog shader just shows as pink and there are no errors or warnings in the console. Is this a known issue?
    [​IMG]

Edit: After restarting Unity the shader has provided me with an error.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader error in 'Hidden/FogVolume': failed to open source file: 'CommonInputs.cginc' at line 20 (on d3d11)
    3. Compiling Vertex program with _COLLISION JITTER ABSORPTION
    4. Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME
    Edit #2: Seems I had it set to Linux build. Which isn't supported?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  5. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

@trilobyteme Increase your camera far clip or make the volume smaller
    @MrDonk Yes, go to FogVolume.shader and comment or remove this line #pragma only_renderers d3d11
    @kerrmedia humm... can you test what happens with a box collider that has "Is Trigger" enabled?
    FV is currently using a trigger volume with that option enabled. Maybe that is causing the problem
    2017-08-02_8-54-26.jpg

So, make a box and enable "Is Trigger" and play inside of it to check if the behavior is the same

6. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Hehe, so here is

This one is more about fine-tuning. Clouds are not easy, and it takes some time to get a good result. Here is when we have to pass the human perception barrier of what is realistic and what not. So yes, it is difficult to cheat our brain :)

Enjoy!

wetcircuit, matteumayo and Seneral like this.
  7. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

Excellent, thanks for the info and I look forward to checking out that tutorial.

8. Morseliot

Morseliot

Hi David, just bought your asset, and couldn't run it. Opening any of your example scenes showing pink box only. Unity 5.5.4, what I'm doing wrong, or is there any additional setup is required?
    [​IMG]

Update: Unity reload did solve the problem.

9. Morseliot

Morseliot

Got this, 49 times

Shader error in 'Hidden/FogVolume': maximum temp register index exceeded at Assets/FogVolume/Resources/FogVolumeFragment.cginc(705) (on d3d9)

Compiling Fragment program with VOLUME_SHADOWS _INSCATTERING VOLUME_FOG _VOLUME_FOG_INSCATTERING _FOG_VOLUME_NOISE JITTER ColorAdjust ABSORPTION DF DIRECTIONAL_LIGHTING
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA

10. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Yes, in dx9 we can't use pointlights yet. It should work fine in the other scenes without pointlights enabled.

11. FPires

FPires

Is there any way for me to move the volume or the boxes while preserving the rendered volume, or do I necessarily have to move the camera to pan through the fog volume?

12. kerrmedia

kerrmedia

I followed the instructions for lesson 2. Looked interesting in my test dev project. But some particle effects show square shapes when rendering, so just wondering, is this a case where I have to change something about the render orde volume_fog_and_explosion_pic.JPG r of Volume Fog so that the particle effect renders first?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  13. AndyUr

AndyUr

Hello, I got this asset recently and I love how it's looking so far!

I haven't been able to figure out how to keep the same falloff behaviour when I turn on Gradient, as it was with the uniform fog.

This is how it looks with the uniform fog. The fog is thicker the further away an object is.
    upload_2017-8-8_14-37-43.png

This is how it looks with gradient. With this I can have the nice volumetric shadows, but I lose the falloff effect. upload_2017-8-8_14-36-48.png

14. sugarbank

sugarbank

Examples/Sample scenes.
    Hi is it possible to get the examples in the sample scene demos eg.the landscape ones?
    Only Nebulas ship with the plugin.

Cheers

15. kerrmedia

kerrmedia

I just checked in the collider script to see if the hit item was tagged fog, and if it was just returned out of the function. That works.

16. Seneral

Seneral

They are included - but you'll need to download the separately.
    See the file 'Demo Content.url', it leads you to the download:)

DavidMiranda likes this.
  17. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Sorry for not replying. The forum kicks me out every 5 minutes and I never get email notifications (or almost never)
    Set the FV rendering order to -1 (other/rendering options)

@FPires That would require a shader modification to use world-space coords.

@AndyUr Increase the intensity in rendering/intensity

@kerrmedia So everything is fine?

@Seneral thanks for helping

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 10:08 AM
  18. vivredraco

vivredraco

Hi @DavidMiranda, I was hoping you could answer a question for me. A recent review on the asset store from a user named @wetcircuit said, "If you render offline the quality can be extreme." I found this comment intriguing, as it implies Fog Volume 3 can be used to pre-render clouds outside of runtime, presumably so that the pre-rendered imagery can be used later in-game with a lower performance cost. However, I read through the documentation and could not find any reference whatsoever to pre-rendering or "offline rendering." Is this something supported by FV3?

19. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

@vivredraco Yes, that means that you can use FV to render with very very high quality. Example
    That image takes around 20 seconds to render. Basically, you set a very large iteration count with small distance between samples.

vivredraco likes this.
  20. vivredraco

vivredraco

Cool! Are there any restrictions on the usage/sale of images generated with FV, licensing-wise?

21. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

humm, no

22. SV_Architect

SV_Architect

Hi - I'm considering purchasing your asset pack as the demos look really stunning and it looks like you're getting excellent reviews and feedback.

The following function would be make-or-break for me:
    Can I establish my volume fog by using a custom mesh object to create the volume?
    If the answer is "no", would there be any kind of function available that would let me essentially boolean-subtract one volume from another? Essentially, I would need my volume to be a box-volume that produces fog, but with a cylinder in the center of it that produces no fog.

Also, developing for Vive so performance is a concern, though the total volume I need to cover with the volumetric is not huge - Something like 100M x 100M x30M.

Thanks,
    SV

23. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

@SV_Architect humm, nope, FV can't do what you need atm.
    In the next version we will add subtractive primitives (cubes and spheres), but it is only available for textured volumes (too expensive for vr).
    But this is a very interesting request. I will try to do this in the cheap version of the volume (uniform)

Regards

matteumayo likes this.