Search Unity

RELEASED FLOWFIRE Super Sampling SSAA - Visually best Anti Aliasing!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Flow-Fire-Games, Jun 11, 2015.

1. local306

local306

Hey @Flow Fire Games. I'm trying to use this with my Oculus DK2 using Oculus's OVR asset, but I am having no luck with this and it's only rendering a black screen. I've seen a couple times in the this forum that OVR is supported. Any suggestions?

2. Vitalii_lab

Vitalii_lab

@Flow Fire Games Hi, i'm having a problems while making a build for iOS.

The problem is with
    Failed running /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/Tools/UnusedByteCodeStripper2/UnusedBytecodeStripper2.exe -out

and if to go deeper,

stdout:
    ERROR: Failed to resolve base type System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase for type SSAA.Properties.Settings
    Fatal error in Mono CIL Linker
    System.Exception: ERROR: Failed to resolve base type System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase for type SSAA.Properties.Settings

Any ideas? I'm using the latest version from the store, downloaded yesterday.

3. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

@local306 We support the integration for Unity from Oculus Rift, but not the (no longer from unity supported) Unity VR solution. If you use the Kit from Oculus themselves, it will work.

@Vitalii_lab We never heard from this issue before, does it work in a clean project ? It may be something System or Mac based. We will have a look at this.
    Edit: This seems to be a common mac building issue, there are many entries on google about it, here is one of the
    threads that may have a solution: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/no...odestripper2-exe-did-not-run-properly.357447/
    I searched for "unusedbytecodestripper2" and that got me many results about this issue, it does not really seem SSAA related.

Best regards

4. Melvin Eng

Melvin Eng

Hello Flow Fire Games,

So it doesn't work with the native Unity VR integration?
    No wonder it renders black screen when I used it with Unity 5.3(native VR integration with DK2, deferred rendering, HDR-enabled).
    Any plans to address this?
    As far as I know, using the native Unity VR integration is the recommended way(whilst the Oculus integration is being deprecated) going forward...

Regards,
    Melvin.

5. bgolus

bgolus

6. Melvin Eng

Melvin Eng

7. local306

local306

I am using the Oculus Utilities direct from Oculus and am still unable to use this asset with it.

8. montyfi

montyfi

@Flow Fire Games, by some reason taken screenshot doesn't pick up all the FX. Bloom, lens flares, lens dirt etc. are missing.

9. hopeful

hopeful

Could it have anything to do with the position of SSAA in the stack of post FX?

10. montyfi

montyfi

SSAA is the last one

11. sumpfkraut

sumpfkraut

The newest version don't work with WebGL. (works in the editor, but can't build)

RuFrozen likes this.
  12. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

Position in the stack should not matter at all. Post effects are applied at the end, and SSAA is in the render pipeline, this
    sounds like an issue of the post effects, is it all from the same package or varied ones ? If its from a complete package, then there might be the issue, else something in SSAA might cause it, but that would be very strange.

@sumpfkraut The newest version ?`SSAA or Unity version ? Any error message ?

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  13. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Hi,

I have only performance issues while using Unity SSR and SSAA. It seems SSR is working afterwards SSAA and use any large camera RT. I use SSAA with the simplest setup bilinear 2x and unity beta SSR. It reduce frame rate from about 70fps to 18fps. Is there any solution of stacking render effects into a different order or downsize SSR 1/8 anyhow?

Thanks a lot, Q

73 fps = None:
    70 fps = SSAA only
    69 fps = SSR only
    18 fps = SSAA + SSR

SSAA is absolutely great!
    (Note: SSAA should setup in full-screen only. From my experience)

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  14. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Hi, I've managed to set up a slider and allow the user to take a screenshot. Everything works perfectly, however the screenshot is saved under the name "Assets.png". How can I get it to save as "Screenshot.png"? Thanks

15. argosy_ops

argosy_ops

I know that SSAA is very expensive when you apply a scale factor that provides a result that surpasses MSAA.
    However, I'm still interested whether this was tested on the Vive? All existing algorithms come with very noticeable artifacts due to the low pixel density in VR. I am wondering what results could be achieved with SSAA (maybe on a GTX1080?)

16. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Hi the developers seem to be away. Not sure if any one can help me. Basically, what should I type in the path so that it creates a folder in the root installation called "Screenshots" next to the "game_data folder" and saves the screenshot as "Screenshot"? I've tried multiple paths but none work. Thanks a lot.

17. hopeful

hopeful

I don't think it creates a folder. You need to do that in advance or it will throw an error.

But you can use any folder you make within the Assets folder.

BTW, I notice the screenshot doesn't pick up shadows.

18. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Thanks a lot for responding hopeful. It works fine from within the editor, the problem is in the build. Two things happen. When the game does not have an installer it saves the .png as follows next to the game_data folder, and calls it game_data.png. ("game" here is the name of the game). If I type screenshot into the path, it saves it as follows: game_dataScreenshot.png.

I've created a installer for it as well, to install it in the Program Files folder. However, when I do this screenshots are not saved anywhere. I've done countless Google searches to try to find the correct path but nothing seems to work. I wonder whether this is actually possible. Do you happen to know what I should type in the path field? Any help would be really appreciated.

I've used it countless times and never had a problem with it not picking up shadows. The only issue is that it amplifies the Bloom too much, especially the Glare, which I've set to switch off before the screenshot is taken.

19. hopeful

hopeful

Maybe the screenshot was created as an editor-only feature? Possibly @Flow Fire Games can pop in and give an answer.

As for the shadows, when the screenshot is occurring, the game pauses and the shadows disappear from the screen, then the shadows are restored when the screenshot has completed. When I look at the PNG there's no shadows, whereas the shot I've selected is mainly in shadow. Maybe in some situations shadows work and in others they don't ...?

jonfinlay likes this.
  20. Aladin101

Aladin101

I'm considering buying the SSAA plugin, and have a few questions:

I will be doing VR development for the HTC Vive using SteamVR for Unity. Does the plugin work with SteamVR for Unity?

I'm looking to creating a solution like Valve's adaptive quality scaling, that will work with the existing Unity rendering paths, where SSAA is applied and scaled based on the FPS, such that the FPS are kept over 90 at all times.

Will I be able to accomplish something like that with this SSAA plugin? Meaning, can I change the super sampling resolution every frame based on the render time of the previous frame, such that the FPS is kept constant over 90?

21. Zylex

Zylex

We are support the SSAA plugin in the game and it gives good results. However we now want to add SSAO. Problem is that this becomes extremely heavy when SSAA+SSAO are running together. This is obviously due to the increased screen size of SSAA.

Now I do not think the SSAO needs to be applied on the SSAA increased screen resolution but could work fine if we just first apply the SSAA and then do SSAO on the Supersampled image scaled back to the original resolution. I tried changing orders of the image effects but this does not work. Is this something that can be done in your opinion?

22. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

I have the same issue with SSAA+SSR or any other image effects is attached to SSAA.
    From what I think it's a logical problem.

If SSAA is working at first, it enlarges the render geometry. If an additional image effect is applied later, then it use the enlarged geometry. For sure it's possible to reduce the enlarged render geometry after SSAA again, but that takes the complete render time twice for one frame.

Same happens if any image effect is working at first, then the geometry is original size. And if SSAA comes into action after the first image effect, then SSAA must render the complete stuff again at double scale.

If you use SSAA you can apply only very low performance image effects that does not offer a downsize option.
    On the other hand, if any additional image effect provide a downsize or resolution option (like Unity - SSR) then you didn't run into any heavy problems.

23. asdasd212

asdasd212

Without the anti aliasing my drag and drop script works but when i enable the anti aliasing drag and drop stops working (it doesnt detect the click or click doesnt pass through anti aliasing and i dunno why)
    heres the code
    am i doing something wrong ? or do i have to use physics ignore ? i dont get it !

Code (CSharp):
    1. private Vector3 screenPoint;
    2.     private Vector3 offset;
    4.     void OnMouseDown()  // Unity mouse click
    5.     {
    6.         screenPoint = Camera.main.WorldToScreenPoint(gameObject.transform.position);
    8.         offset = gameObject.transform.position - Camera.main.ScreenToWorldPoint(new Vector3(Input.mousePosition.x, Input.mousePosition.y, screenPoint.z));
    10.     }
    12.     void OnMouseDrag() // Unity mouse Drag
    13.     {
    14.         Vector3 curScreenPoint = new Vector3(Input.mousePosition.x, Input.mousePosition.y, screenPoint.z);
    16.         Vector3 curPosition = Camera.main.ScreenToWorldPoint(curScreenPoint) + offset;
    17.         transform.GetComponent<Rigidbody>().position = curPosition;
    19.     }

24. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

How SSAA interacts with various other assets depends on how these assets / functions are made. SSAA makes AO a and other things more accurate, but each thing depending on resolution will also have its cost and quality increased, making up the effective SSAA cost. (as basically your resolution is increased.)

@jonfinlay Renaming the screenshots is not possible as of now If I remember correctly, but we put it on our list then.
    @asdasd212 The unity mouse functions had to be dropped to make SSAA work as Unity does not allow us to go any deeper into the render pipeline, but writing your own mouse enter is very quickly done and done by many either way so we had to go with that route.

jonfinlay likes this.
  25. AVOlight

AVOlight

With the screenshot button, is there an easy way to save out a screenshot with an alpha background?

26. WagDan

WagDan

@Flow Fire Games As mentioned above by user "local306" when we use your script with the Oculus integration we get a black screen or no effect. Can you clarify the setup you are using? Is it forward or deferred, is it hdr etc. Maybe also the version of the Oculus integration you are using. Thank you.

27. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Hi, according to the manual:

As of 1.4 it is possible to Super Sample your render target textures, just apply the script to these
    cameras just as usual.

I have a small portable camera which uses a render texture on its display which my UFPS player is holding, however the SSAA does not work for it, though it works with UFPS. The camera screen freezes and doesn't update. Any ideas what could be causing this? There are three cameras in total, two used for UFPS (which both work) but the third camera for the render texture doesn't. Thanks in advance.

28. Deleted User

Deleted User

As Aladin already asked, will SSAA work with the Vive + SteamVR?

29. camel82106

camel82106

I would like to propose for Helios support. Now when I add SSAA script on Helios Front camera, that is rendering to texture. I get empty images recorded in Helios.

It would be superb, as I believe your products have great potential for nice synergy effect.
    Thanks
    Peter

30. eejitb

eejitb

@Flow-Fire-Games Like others on this thread, I too get only a black screen with the Oculus integration. Please advise? Thanks

31. JBT27

JBT27

I've just bought SSAA, for use with Helios, but even on the Helios2D camera, I'm getting black frames. Can you help please?

Thanks.

32. JBT27

JBT27

I am in touch with the dev of Helios, and he has asked me to post here, and via a support request to see if you are willing to work with him to resolve this black frames problem.

Could you please respond on this?

Thanks.

33. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

Hi,
    We're having the same issue as Vitalii_lab, but on PS4 IL2CPP compiler. I guess there is something in your code not AOT compliant... Since it's a DLL, we can't do anything about it.
    Could you please fix the issue?

JBT27 likes this.
  34. Artanic

Artanic

Could you make sure to add that to your documentation please. One of my team wasted a few hours to figure that out.

35. Brechtos

Brechtos

Hey @Flow-Fire-Games .
    Just as a heads up. We have just updated to the latest version of Unity (5.4.1p4) and are noticing some issues in regards to gizmo drawing in the game view in editor. The gizmos seem to appear as if the camera is standing still in its initial spawn location while the game image that is being displayed is updated correctly. This makes debugging gameplay features rather difficult atm for us.

Disabling the Super Sampling script seems to solve the problem.
    Any idea how we can work around this or what could be causing this?
    Was fine in 5.4.0p2.

Oddly enough it does seem to work correctly every now and again. But I have not been able to pinpoint if there is anything triggering that behavior. So I'm guessing it's more or less random.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thx :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  36. rattlesnake

rattlesnake

I bought it for using HTC Vive and... it's not working (black screen).

Very frustrating :/ are you planning to integrate it ?

37. Cyber_2016

Cyber_2016

Hello, I was considering buying this Asset but looks like it's kinda Ancient (Not being updated)? Version: 1.4 (Feb 29, 2016).. Anyhow I'll check back for a response TY!

38. rainisto

rainisto

I also bought this for HTC Vive and get a black screen. Quite annoyed. Either you could clearly say in the asset store page that it doesn't work with the Vive or then you should fix it so that it works with the Vive (where it would clearly be useful to have).

39. Bas-Smit

Bas-Smit

Hi @Flow-Fire-Games on the assetstore it says: Added OVR (Oculus Rift) compatibility. Could you please give us the steps needed to make this work? Here's what I have done which results in a black screen:

- Create new project in Unity 5.4.1 with default settings
    - Disable MSAA
    - Tick Virtual Reality Supported checkbox (using Oculus Virtual Reality SDK)
    - Download Oculus ovr_unity_utilities_1.9.0
    - Drag in the OVRCameraRig prefab
    - Apply Super Sampling_SSAA component to the camera attached to CenterEyeAnchor

I have also tried using per eye cameras with the ssaa component applied to left and right cameras, and using OpenVR as the sdk. All I get is a black screen, not sure what to do now.

Above you say: "We support the integration for Unity from Oculus Rift, but not the (no longer from unity supported) Unity VR solution. If you use the Kit from Oculus themselves, it will work." But Im not quite sure what you mean by Kit, are you referring to the ovr_unity_utilities?

40. mike_kennedy989

mike_kennedy989

I sent an email so posting here in hopes my issue is user error. trying to use the screen shot feature but nothing is saving. There is a default folder setting on the GUIfor the SSAA effect and I created a folder for that, but when I am in play mode and hit the screen shot button, nothing is saved. Can someone help an artist out here :)

41. Meltdown

Meltdown

Does this asset work with WebGL, instead of showcasing your product with an outdated Unity web player build can you put up a WebGL build.

Is this asset even still supported?

42. PlugAndPlay

PlugAndPlay

Does anyone else get Black Screenshots with this and Unity 5.6b2?

43. Wip3ou7

Wip3ou7

Is it possible to scale two camera layers independently? If I apply the script to just one camera and then change the scaling, it only scales that layer and doesnt effect the others (sweet!). But if I apply the script to both camera layers, changing the factor on one script affects boths script (argh!).

44. irwit

irwit

Hello

Ive bought this a while ago and used it on and off. Im finally finishing my demo and I am trying to find the best solution for AA. I have CTAA which is great but with stil cameras you get a lot of movement around the AA levels. SSAA is great but you still get AA issues. I think this maybe be to do with the SSAA happening in 32 bit mode. Would it be possible to have an option to clamp the image down to 8 bit before downsampling to help soften some of the edges? Or at least, could you explain in what order the SS happens?

Thanks

Will

45. Zyrathius

Zyrathius

No longer working for me after upgrading to Unity 5.6.0f3. Looked amazing when I was using 5.4.

46. rpgw

rpgw

Also no longer working for me on Unity 5.6. Really does look good when it is working!

Haven't been able to fix it myself. But if anyone knows of a solution I'm sure it would be appreciated here (until an update comes).

47. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Not working for me either in 5.6, and looks like the developers have abandoned it; they haven't responded to this thread for a good six months. Any one who has recently bought I recommend emailing the developers, if they don't respond contact Unity for a refund.

Flurgle likes this.
  48. KillzoneOne

KillzoneOne

No longer works after updating my project to unity 5.6. I guess I will be looking for another supersampling solution. It seems that the dev doesn't care anymore about his customers. Last update was over one year ago...

jonfinlay likes this.
  49. claudiu4444

claudiu4444

Since the developers abandoned this asset, my team switched recently to MadGoat SSAA and so far it's doing a great job. Mostly same features, it is a lot cheaper and it's working with the latest unity version

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  50. KillzoneOne

KillzoneOne

will look into it but yeah, didn't want to spend more money on something I already bought and had for my project..