Search Unity

RELEASED FLOWFIRE Super Sampling SSAA - Visually best Anti Aliasing!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Flow-Fire-Games, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

montyfi and jonfinlay like this.
  2. sumpfkraut

sumpfkraut

i just found out that the framerate is ok, if the script is activated from the beginning.
    if i try to activate it over a script, the framerate drop from 60 to 20.

3. blackbird

blackbird

any body test it on consoles ?

4. ksam2

ksam2

It seems cool but unusable and really heavy! even in the lowest level it reduce 35 frames! is there any way you could make it more optimized? my pc is really powerful but can't use this cool SSAA!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  5. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

Which levels are you using ? The lowest level is 1.1 and that should hardly be noticeable.
    SSAA is fully optimized as much as the effect can be, it is up to your choosing how much of it you want to use.

Keep in mind that the default is set to 2x which is double your screen size, and this is a very high quality level. (Effectively making a 1080p image render a full 4k image, which is 4x the amount of pixels)

We recommend 1.25 - 1.5 for realtime game usage, but the best is always putting it into your settings menu, so users can choose based on their hardware. Persons that can not afford it now may also afford it in a year, your game will last a lot longer than hardware of your users.

@sumpfkraut That sounds odd, maybe the script is using a different multiplier that is higher than your default one ?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  6. zelmund

zelmund

hi there.
    noticed that HBAO+ from nvidia (somewhere there is a link on forum) dont work with ssaa

can you try to figure why ? would be great if this 2 plugins will work together.

7. blackbird

blackbird

is this anti-aliasing solution or just an upscaler to make screentshots ????????????????

8. ksam2

ksam2

Also doesn't work with Unity Wrinkle maps shader.

9. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

This is a anti aliasing solution, you can read all about it in the thread. SSAA High Res Screenshots are a new upcoming v1.4 feature.

HBAO is maybe having an issue interpreting depth through SSAA, but naturally not all assets on the asset store will work with all others, that would be an impossible feat, but we will have a look into that. Maybe this works with 1.4. already.

Wrinkle maps seem to render to a render texture off screen, with the next update there is render texture support, but we don't know how these maps are made, if you have control over this, you can just apply the SSAA script to the render target.

The update can be live any day.
    Best regards

ksam2 likes this.
  10. zelmund

zelmund

thx. that will be great

11. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

We also added tooltips to the script in 1.4 that should greatly help choosing the perfect settings and make it even easier to use, plus an updated documentation PDF.

12. ksam2

ksam2

In some games I've seen "Texture Supper Sampling". also it doesn't reduce frames more than 2 or 3

13. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Good to see this is finally be updated, and the high-res snapshot is a useful feature. For best results (performance and visually) should AA be used in addition to SSAA?

14. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

@Ksam this is a different effect then and no real SSAA. If you tell us the exact name of the option then we can tell you what it does.

No, try not mixing SSAA with MSAA because that could multiply usage and be redundant. You can however try mixing low levels with post effects such as FXAA, try what works best for you. If the base image is improved by SSAA, then FXAA is not hurting the image as badly too.
    1.25x SSAA + a well tweaked FXAA or similar can be a very good budget solution.
    SSAA heavily improves how good FXAA works actually.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    ksam2 and jonfinlay like this.
  15. Stilghar

Stilghar

We use multiple cameras with different viewport rectangles. Applying SSAA to the cameras as explained in the readme for multi camera setups doesn't seem to work properly for us. The cameras are being displayed at incorrect positions/sizes on screen. Is this fixed in 1.4?

16. e3di

e3di

Hi, I have been trying to run this on 5.3.3 but I cannot seem to get it to work, has it been tested with this yet?

Thanks.

17. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

@Stilghar Multi Cameras should work as intended, we had no other known issue with it, at best send us a mail at flowfire@inbox.com and we try to help / find the issue - are you using some of these cameras to render to a texture ? Because this is supported with 1.4.

@e3di It should work as usual on 5.3.3, did you apply the correct script and pressed play ?

18. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

I assume you just forgot pressing play then ; )

19. eco_bach

eco_bach

Should this be the first (ie top) of your effects stack, or does it matter?

20. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

You can put it anywhere.

21. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

Here are some screenshots that have been made with our upcoming High res SSAA screenshot feature by David Mirana (His asset store assets) - the composition of the 4 car images was done afterwards.

We will soon try showing off a panorama that demonstrates the resolution limits of the screenshot function so stay tuned! If you made some great images, let us know, we may give you free stuff ; )
    The update is in approval process and can be live any day

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  22. montyfi

montyfi

By some reason SSAA doesn't save configuration for me. I change something, run the game - new settings just ignored.

xenius likes this.
  23. montyfi

montyfi

Just tested a bit on xbone, unfortunately it is quite heavy for it.
    I don't know why but in editor it runs at 85 fps on Bilinear Sharper, with multiplier 1.7 which is completely unplayable on xbone. For xbone max settings looks like Nearest Neighbour, 1.2, not sure if it makes sense to use it at all, should compare result with SMAA, which is free.

OR, maybe I tested it wrong, because current settings are changing chaotically for me. Opened scene in editor, saved 1.2 - run it, still 1.2. Changed scene, made some adjustments, changed scene back - it shows 1.7 again! So, who knows what settings are runtime...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
    blackbird likes this.
  24. e3di

e3di

Hi, sorry I have been away for the last few days.. Yep, you're right, I hadn't pressed play!!! duh. Thanks, works amazingly well.

25. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

Are you sure you havent changed it while in play mode ?
    If there is a saving error and it is not fixed by 1.4 we will deploy a hotfix afterwards.

Consoles have very weak GPUs, I would recommend 1.25 mixed with a post effect, but it all depends on your game and how much budget you have left. 1.7 is really high, Nvidia uses 1.5 for their driver SSAA on PC per example, which is very noticeable.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  26. montyfi

montyfi

I've just added component to camera, nothing else. Changes are not saved at all. To save it I have to change something else in scene, which marks scene as dirty. After that changes seems to be saved, but if I move to another scene I see settings from previous one. So cannot be sure what is the real values there.

27. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

Your issue should be gone with 1.4, if it still persists please let us know.

Update 1.4 now Live!
    - New Ultra High Res screenshot + SSAA function!
    - Support for Render Target Textures with SSAA
    - Updated Documentation
    - Added helpful Tooltips to the Script
    - Various improvements

Open in new window

If you made a great screenshot, dont hesitate to post / promote your project here,
    we really want to see what you are doing with it!

28. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Hi, I was experimenting and was able to take this nice panorama photo. Two questions though, if you look closely the ferns have a kind of "double edge", is this intentional or have I done something to cause this? Also, when I tried to take much larger panorama screenshots at 4x my graphics card crashed but quickly restarted again, is this something that could potentially damage it?

SSAA.png

29. Yohann1172

Yohann1172

Bought this today but it does not seem to work when the camera is hooked up to a RenderTexture. Can you confirm?

30. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

The resolution limits are given by your GPU, all that is happening is that your RAM is fully used which will cause a crash, but then everything goes back to normal. With a 3GB Vram card, a 8k screenshot at 2x SSAA was our limit, I didnt get to test on my 6GB Card however and will do soon. Your image looks somehow strange, maybe a post effect is causing this, but its hard to tell without seeing your camera stack and settings. The ferns look correct to me, but it seems blurred, do you maybe have depth of field or so applied ?

@Yohann1172
    You have to apply the script to the render target texture camera too for it to work. Did you update to 1.4 ?

31. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

I think something happens to it when I take the screenshots, it looks better in game on much lower settings. I'm using the default graphics settings supplied with Gaia except DoF and SSMA which I deactivated. I'm also using a FXAA from the store and Amplify Colour. Just taken another look, it looks much nicer in the game with 1.2 Nearest Neighbour than 4x Lancos in the screenshot, something must be happening at the moment of the screenshot. I'd love to know what the problem is, looks great in game.

EDIT: Found out the problem, it was caused by this asset https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/3590. Works well in the game but must conflict with the screenshots.

SSAA.png

32. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

Yes, FXAA will blur your image, that must be it. Good to hear that everything works as intended.
    (The Unity FXAA should work fine with SSAA however, still its completely redundant for the screenshot function as 4x SSAA is absolutely ridiculous high)

33. Smolli

Smolli

Hi,

is it possible to make a screenshot in code? Thinking of making a screenshot every frame for a smooth movie. Would this be possible? I know not in realtime, but if I had an animated camera, could I make a screenshot between each new camera position? Something like that :)

Thx!

34. Lee7

Lee7

It appears SSAA is changing the pixel error of the terrain, using up too much performance, especially in my game since I have 25 tiled heightmaps and large draw distance. I assume this is a bug. You can notice it up close too but its harder to get it as apparent in a screenshot.

35. zelmund

zelmund

its not a bug. its just like terrain works. (personaly, hate terrain in unity)
    set pixel error on terrain higher if you use ssaa.

36. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

It is possible, the screenshot code is open and modifiable, you can do anything you like with it.

37. laessnb

laessnb

Hi, any update on native VR support?

38. svgdeveloper04

svgdeveloper04

+1
    Any update on this?

39. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

SSAA currently supports the oculus OVR integration for Unity not the Unity VR.
    We wrote Unity about some things that hold us from making it work for Unity VR
    but unfortunately this is not possible right now. You can file a suggestion to unity however as
    the Unity support told us:

Best regards

40. essimoon2

essimoon2

Hi there and awesome product! :)
    I wondered if it works on Xbox One and PS4. Any support on consoles?

41. montyfi

montyfi

Tested on xb1, works fine. I think it has been discussed a couple times in this thread.

42. essimoon2

essimoon2

nice, thx montyfi! Bought it now and it looks really cool. Just noticed it drops the fps waaaay too much (from 120 to below 60, capping it at 30 on Xbox with VSync).
    Any ideas how to increase performance or if there are plans/possibilities to increased performance on consoles, @ developers?

43. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

The effect is as fast as it can be from our side. It is Super Sampling and there is no way to make it go faster without making it a different effect with less image quality.

44. montyfi

montyfi

set it to 1.1, works OK for me. ~10fps less. Thinking about dropping from 1080p to 720p anyway.

45. Teal_r

Teal_r

I just purchased the asset and every time I target iOS and try to do a build I get "Error building Player: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

The error also shows up if I reimport, so I can track it down to the SSAA.dll file. It doesn't show up if I target osX as a build target. I suspect there is some #ifdef UNITY_IOS line inside SSAA.dll that is not defining a gameobject. Can you please fix this?

46. Teal_r

Teal_r

Also, this seems to have a problem when you change your camera's field of view.

47. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Feature request: Overscan?

I'm using SSAA for video capture/animating.... It occurred to me that your plugin could maybe correct a pet peeve of mine where lights and bright objects lose their bloom at the edge of the screen, most times I think I'd prefer it to happen just past the screen's edge.... Would that be possible? An overscan option?

48. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

that strongly depends on how the bloom effect works and there are multitude of bloom effects. If the light source is not in sight, the flare should not occur realistically, so it probably makes sense the way it acts, but Im not sure what exactly you define by edge of the screen. Is the center of the light still inwards the screen (if so how many pixels +- ?)or center on the edge ?

49. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Real lens flares are typically from the side of the lens, outside the field of view (why cameras have a lens hood). (Also a camera's sensor is of course smaller than the len's FOV view, otherwise every photo would look like a fisheye circle...)
    Lens_flare_scheme_en.svg.png
    Cocoon_1985_014213.jpg 8114823535_697ef2c159_b.jpg

My understanding of your plugin is that it is creating a second camera and writing to a render texture (apology if I have it wrong), so I was wondering if the render texture can be larger than the original camera's field of view (frame). The way Unity handles edge of screen blooms and lens flares is to fade them out quickly (mechanically) at the edge of the screen but it is visible and obvious, even distracting with a lot of bright sources.... An adjustable overscan (10% maybe?) might allow for some lens flares to appear to be from just outside the field of view, which is how real glass lenses actually behave.

If it is not technically possible because Unity somehow knows not to render effects that are not seen by the final camera, I understand. My hope was to circumvent that issue, or at least to mitigate it as an artistic choice.... It would save me recording at higher res and then cropping in post.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  50. Teal_r

Teal_r

You could create overscan by setting the camera's viewport rect. It would work well without any plugins, except that SSAA breaks when you modify the camera's drawrect.

I'm finding SSAA to be very difficult to use, it seems to break if you do anything to the camera, or target iOS.