Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Enviro - Sky and Weather (Dynamic Sky and Weather System)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Vondox, Apr 11, 2015.

1. cm33

cm33

Hi, quick question: how are seasons implemented? Will I need to specify season-specific variants for each and every tree and grass meshes I use in my terrain?

Anyone has thoughts regarding the pros and cons and performance of Enviro vs Tenkoku, UniStorm, Sky Master Ultimate etc?

@Teila what is your experience regarding this asset's interaction with Gaia (if any)? thanks!

2. Teila

Teila

I do not have this asset yet...BUT Gaia is just terrain. Once you finish decorating your terrain, you can remove Gaia from the scene. It has absolutely no interaction with other assets.

I have answered this question in a zillion places on the forum. LOL Gaia is just a tool to make your terrain prettier and to spawn "stuff". It doesn't include shaders and does not change the terrain at all in a way that would affect other assets.

Weather systems like Enviro consist of camera effects, particle effects and shaders for the terrain ground. Gaia has no affect on these.

I need to copy this use it to paste for the next person to ask me that question. ;)

TeagansDad and RonnyDance like this.
  3. Vondox

Vondox

Hi TheGru,
    no sorry, at the moment you can't have multiple suns/moons or add other satellite objects. This is a feature i wanted to add in future.

Hi cm33,
    yes exactly, you have to specify variants of your prefabs. In many cases it should be enough to change material color and/or texture.

4. Vondox

Vondox

Update 1.4 was send to Asset Store for review today.

Final Changelog:

daschatten and RonnyDance like this.
  5. daschatten

daschatten

Nice update, thank you @Vondox!

The only problem i have is with speedtrees... the leaves are turning white in the sun. Any idea about this?

sundown.png
    speedtreeproblem.png

6. Vondox

Vondox

Hi,
    is your vegetation really using SpeedTree Shaders? I tried and can't reproduce your issues with my speedtree packages. I have similiar issues with Unity's TreeCreator Leaf shader under some lighting conditions even without using Enviro. Check your gloss map and settings on these materials.
    If this is not your issue i need some more information. What version of Unity are you using, also your scene and project setup.

7. daschatten

daschatten

Hi Vondox,

i created a new project, imported only gaia, enviro and it works now. Seems that another asset caused the issue.

A few things i noticed:
    1. Sun object has a component with a missing script.
    2. On sundown sun disappears suddenly a bit above the horizon.
    3. Moon is way too big.

8. Vondox

Vondox

Hi,

1. Oh, i forgot to remove the RTP light script on sun. It's not a problem just remove the missing component.
    2. Yea i see what you mean i will fix in next update.
    3. You can easily scale the sun and moon in scene like every other object.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  9. daschatten

daschatten

Can you please explain the fog settings? If i set far clipping plane to 2000 and fog start to 1900 (lighting -> fog) the fog end value always goes to a value less then 1900 and fog is everywhere then. In enviro i set the start distance to 1900.

10. Smokas

Smokas

Bought Enviro and started to play with it. Created new project and imported Enviro package. Got 17 warnings. Got rid all of them but emissionRate - it will take a little bit more time to change it to emission.rate.
    Looks nice :)

11. Vondox

Vondox

First check if you set Fog in Enviro to "Linear" when working with distance. Also check all your weather types if "FogDistance" in "Enviro Weather Prefab Script" is greater than "startDistance" in "Lighting Tab". I will add startDistance in Enviro WeatherPrefab in next update and add a log message if FogDistance is lower than startDistance .
    You can also set the FogType in Enviro to "exp" and use low values like 0.01 for example.

Yes some syntax of "Particle Systems" changed in a Unity update. It's already updated in 1.4.1 that will release soon. For now just ignore the warnings about depricated syntax, its just a reminder that it will drop in future. These warnings won't affect usability of Enviro.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  12. Smokas

Smokas

I found ParticleSystemExtension - works fine and minimal code change :)

Vondox likes this.
  13. Vondox

Vondox

Yea that's close to the way i done it in 1.4.1 ;)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  14. Smokas

Smokas

After some tune up seems working almost fine :) IMO it would nice more realistic rain beams and better star screen (less stars and more expressed). The moon is fantastic :)

enviro.png

15. Vondox

Vondox

Rain:
    The rain effects using "Shuriken Particle Systems" and can be easily modified or replaced with other Shuriken Weather Effects you can buy in Asset Store for example. To modify the included ones, drag and drop the "WeatherPrefab" you want to modify in your scene. Particle Systems are attached as child objects on each "WeatherPrefab". For a "beam rain" effect modify the values "Speed Scale" and "Lenght Scale" in "Renderer" category. When you done don't forget to apply the changes and delete the weather prefab from scene ;)

Stars:
    I will create a modfied texture for stars, with the changes you mentioned, and upload it in the next days. You can also modify the brightness of stars in the stars material.

Water:
    You may also want to check your water reflections. The water seen in your screenshot, is too bright for night. For Unity's Water4 you may want to modify the reflection clip range and clear color. You also have to assign the sun or moon transform as specular source.

16. daschatten

daschatten

Vondox, i notice a massive frame rate drop on enabling volume clouds (Weather: Lesser Clouds). FPS goes from 100 down to 60. Flat clouds have almost no impact. Is there anything i can do against this (besides disabling volume clouds)?

17. Vondox

Vondox

hi daschatten,
    the volume cloud shader is more complex than the fast flat shader and will be always slower. But i will further improve performance and visuals on volume clouds. I am also planning to add new versions for Low and High options in future update.

18. Vondox

Vondox

I forgot to mention to check your "scaling" value on EnviroSky script. It can influence fps a lot if a low value is used with high resolutions!

New Stars texture maps:
    I finished a few additional stars texture maps. Download them from here.
    These will be included in next update.

19. HolyFireGames

HolyFireGames

Hi there, any idea when you might be able to support multiple sun/moon/satellite bodies in the sky?

Thanks

20. Vondox

Vondox

Hi,
    sorry i can't give you a date right now. I only can tell you that i will add support for additional satellites in one of the next updates. I am working on this.

21. one_one

one_one

Any progress on the atmospheric scattering? Also, how come you didn't base it on unity's free atmospheric scattering package from the asset store?

22. xferonx

xferonx

Wow, great job. I like it :)

23. HolyFireGames

HolyFireGames

Hi there, is it possible to fly through the volumetric clouds? For example, during a rain storm, would it be possible to fly above the cloud's and see it sunny?

24. Vondox

Vondox

Hi crisoph_r,
    mostly code cleanups in next update on atmospheric scattering. If you mean the atmospheric scattering from the blackemith demo, i found the article and will check this out later.

Hi,
    no that isn't possible at the moment.

one_one likes this.
  25. Sov3R3igN

Sov3R3igN

Fired up Enviro and i ma getting tons of errors? No idea how to fix this :(

26. Vondox

Vondox

Hi Sov3R3igN,

please make sure that you assigned your "Player" and your "PlayerCamera" in "EnviroMgr" script. Also check if "EnviroSky" script is enabled.
    When the "EnviroSky" script is enabled and your player and camera is assigned correctly, the system will add the missing component on your camera and fix the error.

Please feel free to send me a mail "vondox[at]live.de" if you need further support.

27. Sov3R3igN

Sov3R3igN

Vondox, thank you for your response. I will look into it. Also do i have to import the particle system from the standard unity package import or this is not required?

28. Vondox

Vondox

No, you don't need to import anything else.

29. StevenP94

StevenP94

Hello, I'm working on a multiplayer game and I'm curious about the weather synchronization for multiplayer games over a network.
    There will be (or there are, I've not purchased the asset yet) API to allow multiple players to live in the same simulated environment ? There is a way to manage server side the localization of a particular weather condition or (for example) the lightning's position and timing to avoid breaking the game immersion ? I'm posting this question on some threads because is a requirement to select the asset to purchase.

30. Vondox

Vondox

Hi stevenP94,

you can easily modify Enviro to sync time, weather and lightning flashes across your players. Just make sure to calculate the weather only on server and send an rpc to the players with the new weatherid and call EnviroMgr.instance.EnviroWeather.SetWeatherOverwrite(weatherid) on your clients;
    So nothing out of the box, but i will help you to get this done with your choosen network framework.
    Something to note, in current version Enviro doesn't have visual lightnings with a position. That feature is planned for a future update ;)

31. StevenP94

StevenP94

Thanks Vondox for your explanations, but I'm thinking about an autoritative server and a big territory, so not only a time synchronization is needed but event position too, because a player could be inside the rain and another could be outside (in another location). Do you think that this could be possible with Enviro ? Do you have some documentation that I could read to see the API and available objects ? Excuse me for this kind of pre-purchasing requests but there are at least 4-5 other products that I'm evaluating for this project and I'm an indie so I'm trying to avoid wasting money :cool:
    Thanks again!

32. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

A man demands an update! :D

33. Vondox

Vondox

Ah you need a weatherzone feature. At the moment the system is completly player driven and do not support multiple zones with weather calculation. I already planned to add this feature. You can define zones with colliders and setup the possible weather types for each zone. When the players enter such zone the weather will be overidden with zone specific weather. I think this is the kind of feature you need for a big territory with different climate zones.

Hi ;)

I know, i was a bit short on time the last months. New update will come for sure with great new features and optimizations.

Here a list what is done and can be expected and what i am working on at the moment ;)

one_one and RonnyDance like this.
  34. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Wow, the Changelogs really look awesome!
    Looking forward for the Volumetric Lightning and Fog project integration and also for the new Clouds feature.

With the new clouds feature you can define more darker thicker clouds without changing a fixed Mesh by yourself?
    This would be awesome!

A little update to the documentation about all the fog configuration would be pretty good, since I also failed and am failing a lot with fog settings ;)

35. one_one

one_one

Too bad the features I'm looking forward to most are the ones that aren't finished :p

36. Chris-Crafty

Chris-Crafty

Dear Vondox, I'm currently using UniStorm as the environment system for our FirstPerson RPG, but I'm dissatisfied with several shortcomings it has. So I am thinking of switching, and Enviro looks really great. But as far as I read, it also as some shortcomings, like using a "Skydome" instead of a dynamic generated skybox. Other features like integration with RTP und UBER look fantastic, that would really bring some life into my scenes.

Would it be (comparably easy, I'm aware that it can't work out of the box) possible to integrate with other Assets like Volumetric Fog & Mist and Time of Day to create a "super weathersystem"? Also, I already have a "weather and time generation system" in place, as far as I could tell it should be easy to control time of day, season and actual weather condition from an external source, right? And is there a rough ETA for your next update - because the two "unfinished" features you let us peek at last week look like just what I am looking for, too :).

37. one_one

one_one

Just as a heads up: not sure how far along you are with implementing Michal's volumetric lighting, but maybe it's better to wait for unity's version and then add support for that.

38. Chris-Crafty

Chris-Crafty

Sorry to say, but waiting for Unity to implement something that is already available on the asset store is like waiting for a shiny new Monorail Train without a schedule when the bus is already driving regularily: Yes, it might be better. Sometime. When it comes around. But if you want to get somewhere, you'd better use what you have, than wait for "them". Best example: The "new Unity UI" and NGUI by Tasharen. The former was "just around the corner" almost all of the Unity 4 lifecycle and was finally introduced in Unity 4.6, only to be an almost exact copy of NGUI while IMHO in parts a worse alternative because of the lack of source code access. Sure, Unity GUI might be faster since it is running "directly under the hood", but I've worked with NGUI since Unity 3, it was never a concern for performance, and compared to the bugfixing cycles Unity often needs Tasharen's support is lightning fast, personal and helpful.

Same goes for Volumetric Fog & Mist. Yeah, maybe Unity will finally get around to fix their GlobalFog and improve it in a way that it actually works and is thoroughly documented - although I'm *very* skeptical on the last part. But in the meantime I'll have to deliver at least one, and knowing Unity and their "focus" regarding PC-based games, probably several games before this gets into a state I would want to work with.

Sorry for the hijack, still looking forward to the response from Vondox :).

39. one_one

one_one

Not sure if you've seen this. Generally, I agree that waiting for unity to release a feature they announced for a certain cycle is usually a bad idea. But in this case, they've already used it for the demo.

40. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Well thats exactly what I wanted to ask. Where did you see a Volumetric Lightning Unity version?
    Because I don't see anything in the Cinematic Beta Effects. And normally without having an Unity5 feature as Beta released already it will take a long time to release it to the public... Without any ETA I would not wait for a feature just because it's from Unity itself.Take a look for the new Terrain overhaul Unity announced...

Just my opinion. If Unity releases the feature you still can choose between using Michal's or Unity light. Pretty sure Hendrik will make the feature optional so you can enable / disable it.If we see that Micas volumetric light is not powerfull enough in the future (or not supported / optimized) Hendrik still can remove it.

Cheers
    Ronny

41. Sluta

Sluta

Really I liked the Enviro, both price and appearance are tempting.
    However, the silence on the forum and lack of updates, they tell me to direct attention to other packages.

Teila likes this.
  42. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

I just talked with the author through E-Mail 2 days ago. He was pretty busy because of his own game.
    He told me that he worked on the new Skybox and Fog features, which are mostly finished. So you can expect some informations / news this coming days.

Cheers
    Ronny

43. Vondox

Vondox

Sorry for the silence from my side. Like Ronny already mentioned, i am busy with my own game at the moment.
    But i still managed to get some work for Enviro done. The new skybox shader is completed and working great already, i also wrote a complete new fog shader to match the scene lighting and weather conditions.
    About the volumetric lighting: With the new changes i just want to make sure that Enviro can be used with this volumetric lighting project. You won't find a real integration. It isn't necassary ;)

I am currently working on codecleanup and make the setup and customization as easy as possible and flexible. I also have to find some solution for mobile version of Enviro. The old skydome based system was very fast and great for mobiles. The new system is more eyecandy and customizable, but slower.
    In future updates this package will include two systems. One skydome based very fast mobile version and an eyecandy standalone version.

I also try to post a few screenshots later.

RonnyDance likes this.
  44. Sluta

Sluta

Ok, thanks, I will follow the thread.

and...
    Still you plan to add this feature?

45. one_one

one_one

Personally, I'd prefer improvements to the existing features to complement the great season system.

46. peteoaten

peteoaten

Hi

I am getting a rapid shadow flicker on my prefabs, any idea what could cause this? To explain in more detail, i have a fence, the fence casts a shadow, however part of that shadow flickers on and off rapidly.

Also, it snows indoors! Is there a setting i have missed to prevent this? a collision setting etc

47. peteoaten

peteoaten

OK so i sorted the shadow flicker, however im still getting snow through my roof?? I have tried adding a collider etc in various assortments to the roof of the house but to no avail

Also, how do i get the snow shader to work for unity terrain? is this possible. Its not too clear in the documentation so any help in setting up snow on the terrain would be very helpful.

thanks

48. peteoaten

peteoaten

Could spare 5 minutes a day to glance at the forum and support people who put faith in the product and parted with cash though eh?????

49. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

please calm down as it is:
    a) weekend
    b) holiday time

one_one likes this.
  50. Vondox

Vondox

Yes it is still planned, but not in next update, i am sorry.

What features you would like to see to complement the season system in future updates?

Peteoaten, i hope i solved your problems. It was good to write me an mail. If anyone need fast support, please write a mail at vondox@live.de.

I have finished work on standalone version and now starting work on mobile version. If anyone want to test new update send me an mail with your invoice number.

And now a few screenshots of the new update. :)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    RonnyDance likes this.