Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Enviro - Sky and Weather (Dynamic Sky and Weather System)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Vondox, Apr 11, 2015.

1. marcrem

marcrem

Thank you. I also edited my post with a second question :D

2. Vondox

Vondox

Sorry the clouds aren't designed to be controlled that way out of the box :/

3. digitalzombie

digitalzombie

Hi,

I am using Enviro - Mobile and can't get the clouds to display in the Game view but I can see them in the Scene view. I had to link the mesh in the prefab as it was missing and I'm wondering if something else may be missing also. Do you know why I can see it in the scene and not the game?

[Edit]

I thought it was my test scene so I loaded up the demo scene in mobile "EnviroShadersTest" and the mesh was unlinked but it worked afterwards. I'll setup a new test scene and try it again. I probably fubar'd something.

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  4. Vondox

Vondox

Hi, sorry for this issue, but I already uploaded 1.1 of mobile edition and waiting for review.

This update will fix missing link and optimize memory usage.

Send me a mail if you need further help with integrating enviro in your project.

kurotatsu likes this.
  5. Deckard_89

Deckard_89

Hi, in the webplayer demo it seems that the puddles don't show transparent/cutout textures in the reflection - the chainlink fence for example. Is this also the case in the "full" version?

6. Vondox

Vondox

Hi Deckard_89,

sorry the resolution of the reflection probe in demo scene was set quite low. That's why the reflection of chainlink lacks detail :D

Greetings,
    Hendrik

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    Deckard_89 likes this.
  7. edub101

edub101

Sorry for the late reply....I was out of commission. I believe this script worked as you intended, and could be useful. It doesn't allow me to directly replace a detail with another at the exact spot, as I wanted, but it does allow one to have a single "seasonal" set of plants that will pop up and vanish with the seasons. It leaves a bare patch behind, so one has to use those plants sparingly, but a sparse flower for spring or weed for the fall adds a nice touch. The remaining plants after the 4th one in the index remain through the seasons. RonnyDanse suggested to use the object switcher, which I could do if I figured out how to make objects placed that way react to the windzone like they do when painted through the terrain system. Also, I don't know the performance cost of switching out 300,000 blades of grass each season, rather than one default texture. I'm a novice and know very little! I'll keep working at this and see what I can come up with.

I have another question about swapping seasonal textures on terrain. I have four textures on the terrain, and want to replace three summer textures with three different snow textures in winter. How do I swap multiple textures on terrain during season change? When I add the "Seasons for Terrain" script to the terrain, and put the terrain in the editor's slot, I have the default "Texture Change ID"...size 0. I increase size to 3, thinking I want to swap three textures at index 0, 1, and 2 with three new ones during winter. In the fields next to the newly-created "Element 0, 1 and 2" I put the index of the texture (also 0, 1, and 2). I assume that I am supposed to get three different seasonal lists to assign textures to, but I can only assign one set of textures to swap for each season. The different elements don't seem to do anything. I want to tell Enviro "when winter comes, swap summerTexture1 at index 0 with snowTexture1, swap summerTexture2 at index 1 with snowTexture2, and swap summerTexture3 at index 2 with snowTexture3.....and swap them back when spring arrives." In other words, what does increasing the size of the Texture Change IDs do?

Thanks I appreciate your efforts Mr. Vondox!

8. Vondox

Vondox

Hi,

currently you cannot swap detail textures in runtime :( That's why I tried another approach to test this with the script I uploaded. I may optimize it later ;)

For wind animations outside terrain you can use a shader like these:
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/shader-moving-trees-grass-in-wind-outside-of-terrain.230911/

You may also can try to atlas your grass and flower textures and create simple 3d grass meshes like shown here:
    (He is using CryEngine but creation of grass meshes and atlasing textures is the same for Unity)

Paint them with a Mesh Painter (there are a few in asset store) on your terrain. You now could paint grass for each season and group them to have four different gameobjects with grass attached. Create a new GameObject add Enviro Object Switcher component and add your four grass objects underneath the new GameObject. Now just assign the four "grass holder" in Enviro Object Switcher component.

About texture swapping for terrains:

In current version you cannot assign multiple textures to change. But in new version you can ;) Download the script attached and overwrite the one in your project. Increase the size of "TextureChanges" to the count of layers you want to swap textures and assign the ID and Textures for each layer.

Greetings,
    Hendrik

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    malkere and kurotatsu like this.
  9. Migueljb

Migueljb

Is there a step by step tutorial or just a write up of how to get RTP working with weather zones? I followed the doc's but it's pretty general on the setup doesn't go to in depth. Would of been really great to have one of the demo scenes be a terrain all setup working with our without RTP so we could see how it works correctly.

So lets say I have 2 weather zones. One zone is heavy rain and the other zone is Heavy snow. So when I walk into the heavy snow weather zone the snow and sounds starts all looks great but how do I get the grass blades and grass texture and any models in the area to start accumilating the snow or just turn white like in the demo video. Really need some help here. Thanks.

Also BTW love this weather system just a couple more in depth tutorials and it would be great.

-Miguel

10. Vondox

Vondox

Hi Miguel,

To use RTP shader with enviro unpack the RTP Integration and add this component to your scene. Assign your terrain and RTP Component and make sure to enable dynamic snow and water in RTP Shader. Dynamic weather will work with your terrain now. You may also want to create different RTP presets for each season and type in the presets names in enviro RTP integration component.

For dynamic weather on regular objects you can use UBER or LUX shaders with corresponding integration component.

Or check out demo scene to see setup for simple dynamic weather shaders included with enviro.

I certainly will improve Documentation in future, currently working hard on next update with a big list of improvements. Should finish in the next days :)

11. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

I think Miguel is asking more about how the RTP Implementation does work with Weather Zones. The setup using RTP for the whole terrain is pretty well documented and its working fine. I did not thest Weather Zones right now but as I understand the question he is asking is if something need to be done to let weather zones change RTP textures bei their own.
    So if it's raining on the whole terrain you see RTP wet effects etc. but if on a montain it's snowing RTP should have snow effects in this weather zone. So each weather zone using separated RTP effects / textures.
    I don't know if this is already handled by default without doing anything (again I did not test weather zones) but I understand his question more like that.

Cheers
    Ronny

12. Vondox

Vondox

Here are some preview pictures from Enviro 1.7 with Gaia!

Used Image Effects: HBAO ,Unity Bloom & Vignette.
    Scene generated with gaia and used one click enviro setup.

Grab 20170310094052 w1900h1200 x34y90z121r322.jpg Grab 20170310092318 w1900h1200 x-153y101z258r327.jpg Grab 20170310093648 w1900h1200 x41y88z34r6.jpg Grab 20170310093948 w1900h1200 x31y89z117r316.jpg Grab 20170310094222 w1900h1200 x126y73z220r22.jpg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    recon0303 and AdamGoodrich like this.
  13. Vondox

Vondox

Hi Ronny :)

If you enter a zone the weather will change to the current active weather of that zone. RTP(whole terrain) will be influenced by the weather not by the zone directly. Terrain textures can only be changed for each season.

That's how zones currently working out of the box.

14. Migueljb

Migueljb

Hi Vondox. I got RTP working with my weather zone but only for snow. So I walk into a weather zone that is set to Heavy snow and slowly the RTP snow feature brings in the snow all way until entire terrain is white with snow. Question is now the unity grass blades are all green which looks wrong even if I change the color to all white it still doesn't change the texture to white. How do we swap textures for these since changing the rgb color doesn't change them to all white in the scene.

The problem for me is everything is tied into seasons which is awesome that all this works but right now I only need 1 material change. It should be set up so your not restricted to just have to use all seasons for any material changes on models.

Typically if your gonna work with a unity outdoor level its this. Unity terrain with 4 texture layers and usually 3 grass blade textures to start. Models all around you well start out with rocks. Then either FBX, Speed Tree or unity trees and bushes all around. So I have the system to only be using the Clear prefab so everything is sunny around not a cloud in the sky. I enter a Weather Zone and this weather zone is set to Heavy Snow and Light Snow. In this instance as you enter the weather zone everything around you should react to the snow. So terrain turns white with snow and grass blade textures turn all white. Rocks and trees materials change to all white as needed. On weather zone exit everything goes back to normal as it was on the clear day.

So I don't need all the seasons just material changes on everything stated above as I enter and exit a weather zone. I think this would really help this plugin. This thing is amazing I'm glad I'm using it for my project right now but just need it to be simplified in those areas. Would be a great selling point to as it would show if you wanna go BIG with 4 seasons go for it but if you want small you can do that to.

-Miguel

15. Vondox

Vondox

Like I already written before you want to setup your materials to use a special dynamic weather feature shaders like UBER, LUX or enviro shaders you see in demo scene.
    This way you get a smooth transition when snowing and melting like RTP.

I think there are also shaders for vegetation with dynamic weather in store, you could easily control with enviro. I would help with integration of course, and will take a look to add support for dynamic weather effects on vegetation in form of a integration or shaders in future.

I will further investigate this later and come back to you. If you need help with setting up dynamic weather materials in your project, write me a mail and we could meet up in Skype for example to guide you through.

Greetings,
    Hendrik

16. Kolyasisan

Kolyasisan

I've run into a little problem. When I assign my camera to the Enviro's main script it tends to jump around everywhere. The camera's transform is always messed up and I know Enviro causes it. I can't find what's the source of a problem is. Can you help me?

17. Vondox

Vondox

Hi,

This will be fixed in 1.7. For now you can try to set smaller "zone scale" in Enviro Zone component on EnviroSky prefab. You also can try to set EnviroSky prefab to a layer that is excluded from raycasting.

18. Kolyasisan

Kolyasisan

Oh, and by the way, enabling clouds really stresses up my GPU. If I turn them on, I get around 14 milliseconds from GPU.WaitForPresent, which means that CPU is waiting for GPU to complete the work, and it seems that the clouds are the problem. This is a very serious problem for out team.

Attached Files:

19. Vondox

Vondox

Hi,

you have to tweak your cloud settings for better performance. Use lower cloud quality and make them a little bit thinner. Also play with scale and clouds height and you may have to use only one layer of clouds if performance drops to much for your taste.

This also can be done in runtime by changing settings and call EnviroSky.instance.InitClouds(); For example for a settings menu.

If you need further help you also can add me on skype: vondox@live.de

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  20. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Working on Gaia 2 with the new Gaia integration for Enviro... must say am loving Enviro!!

Grab 20170314125447 w1920h1029 x-217y70z1220r1.jpg

Gaia is on sale at the moment as version 2 almost out. Version 2 will be a free upgrade!!

P_Jong, antoripa, radimoto and 2 others like this.
  21. clickmatch

clickmatch

Which water asset is this? Looks great!

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  22. Migueljb

Migueljb

ClearDay01.jpg CloudyRainy03.jpg CloudyRainy01.jpg Winter01.jpg Winter02.jpg First off just wanted to thank Hendrik for an amazing asset he's created and being an even better dev to help me out. I had some problems with what I was wanting and he jumped on skype and team viewer with me. Fixed and showed exactly what I was after. Can't ask for anything better then live support from an already great product.

I'm an artist and I've been using Usky for the past year for its simplicity but yet works great. Enviro - Dynamic Environment is like that but 10x the power/options and still the same simplicity to use once you get the hang of what does what. What I really appreciate is how everything is so well tied together with using RTP and UBER you get some amazing results on your terrain and mesh's. Also I've been using the Oculus Rift for my latest testing and can confirm not only does it run great but looks great to in VR.

Here's some screenshots of my current level with Enviro. All these screenshots are happening and being created as I step into a Weather Zone. For example in this level I have 1 rain Weather Zone and 1 Snow Weather Zone. I can tweak the settings and get what I need until I am satisfied. Everything is so easy to add your own touch to things as needed. I just gotta say one more thing... Water and Snow accumulation on anything you want enough said:)

-Miguel

23. malkere

malkere

Just getting started still.. I have my own weather manager that updates the enviro scripts bypassing the "weather" system, going good so far, so I can have rain emission anywhere from 0-3000, etc. I need to make the cloud layers wider, didn't have time to play with it last night, I think I can just scale it though? The edges are visible atm.

edit: Don't seem able to scale it...

I wanted to ask though, could i hack the script to add more cloud layers if I wanted to? I'm sure that's a decent performance hit, just curious. I'm working it at a set height so you can actually go into/above them. Controlling the heights separately would be cool. I've only been playing with it a couple days though so =]

addition:

I'm looked at clouds fixed at 2000 from 2070 here. they blend REALLY nice with the terrain, but they don't seem to blend with each other. Something I can play with that affects this?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  24. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

clickmatch likes this.
  25. Vondox

Vondox

Hi,

sorry clouds not designed to be looked from above or inside. You maybe can fix this issue in your screenshot by having more space between cloud layers.

Anyway in 1.7 I have rewritten clouds to be way more performant on higher resolutions. But they will be rendered directly in skybox and will never rendered in front of your terrain.

If you want I could create a script for you to create cloud layers outside of enviro to use with your own weather system directly.

Grab 20170315 135900 w1900h1200 x-600y89z-460r191.jpg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  26. malkere

malkere

I'm diggin it so far =D I really like the in front of terrain effect. They look fine from inside too as long as they aren't layered like that. I actually put the second layer on a lower depth camera and it got rid of the alpha problems. I already use the camera anyway so no big deal for me.

I am not editing the cloud shaders directly, but I am going through EnviroSky.Instance.Clouds.Coverage, etc to manually control them. Working fine so far. The biggest thing I want to work on tomorrow is changing the sky color when it gets cloudier. I don't like how the sky stays bright blue through the clouds even with the advanced fog (which I'm not using) the blue seems too sharp. My two cents anyway =]

I'm using MapMagic, SpeedTrees and Aquas water if anyone is curious.

BackwoodsGaming and Vondox like this.
  27. Jixzer

Jixzer

I just purchased Enviro yesterday. And looks great and works well with Unity’s Standard Assets
    first and third person player prefabs. And I would like to give a good rating for Enviro.

But now when I try to use Enviro with one of Unity’s TOP SELLING Third Person Controllers (OPSIVES) it totally Fails! The camera moves violently in and out repeatedly make it totally unusable!

Coming from another sky system that works with OPSIVES controller but with other major issues elsewhere I wonder what’s going on here.

And for someone who asked above, works quite well with Playway Water!

Please help
    Jixzer

28. Vondox

Vondox

Hi Jixzer,

this issue will be fixed in 1.7 update. For now set root EnviroSky object in your scene to a layer that is excluded from raycasting. "Ignore Raysting" for example.

Greetings,
    Hendrik

29. Vondox

Vondox

Short update on 1.7!
    Here are two screenshots to show the better performance of clouds in 1.7:

With 1.6 high clouds settings:
    16.jpg

With 1.7 same cloud settings:
    17.jpg

30. malkere

malkere

I can't seem to get the sky planes to stretch horizontally at all? The normal just gets stretched across the plane getting cut off at the edges. Is there a preset somewhere I can change to increase the size?

31. Vondox

Vondox

Hi malkere,

if I understand you right, you need to scale the x and z scale of a for example "Cloud Layer 1" object in EnviroSky Object. But EnviroSky already will scale clouds based on your camera farClipPlane. If you manually scale them up they possible get cutoff because out of camera's viewdistance.

32. clickmatch

clickmatch

Hey sorry about the pm, I'd missed this reply while skimming! Thanks!

33. Jixzer

Jixzer

Thank you for your quick response and patience, as I’m dealing with one of those head colds that has one not knowing if their coming or going. I thought I tried that but I realized maybe I didn’t after reading your reply.
    Anyways, yes that was all I had to do and all works well. Very happy with purchase.

Much appreciated
    Jixzer

34. malkere

malkere

good to know!

35. gecko

gecko

What are the options for making the night sky (stars and moon) more accurate? In the webplayer, the moon is inaccurate, in terms of relationship to sun and sun's movement, and I can't tell if there are moon phases. I understand that making this more accurate may not be a priority, but are there any hooks for us to do that? And for the night sky, from looking at the file list on the Asset Store, the starry night looks like a skybox, so could we swap in our own skybox images for that? Does it rotate in an accurate manner?

36. Vondox

Vondox

Hi,
    sorry the moon and stars movement isn't that accurate at the moment but I may improve that in future also.
    But the moon has phases and you can assign your own stars cubemap in enviro skybox material.

37. masa045

masa045

Hi Vondox ;)
    I'm interesting your asset now.
    but I can't play demo scene for now.
    is there any other playable demo scene ?
    thanks in advance

38. Vondox

Vondox

Hi,

I should finish new update in the next days. I will prepare a webgl build for testing then.

Greetings,
    Hendrik

masa045 likes this.
  39. masa045

masa045

Hi vondox.
    I'm hear good news
    I looking forward to new update and webgl build

Vondox likes this.
  40. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Started playing with your asset. Great work.
    I was wanting to use Beautify asset with it, but I could get no functionality from it. Hmmmm

41. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

What do you mean exactly? I am using enviro and beautify in my project without any issues... What do you expect exactly when using beautify with enviro?

pixelsteam likes this.
  42. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Sorry Human error...was putting it onto the wrong camera....doh.

43. TalkieTalkie

TalkieTalkie

I am interested in this asset mostly because of Playmaker integration, which other such assets don't have.

So what are the Playmaker related actions? (I am a non programmer, I am making whole game with Playmaker, so that's why Enviro seems to be a better option.. also it isn't obscenely priced)

Also, few more things:
    - Change skybox to anything I want.
    - Replace all default sound effects (if there are any) and add more.
    - Create dust storms only and with custom colors of particles
    - Can we change rain particle effects to custom ones? (too thick drops for my taste)
    - Can you change/remove tint during rains and such (I saw the video and color changed to reddish brown tint, I don't want that at all)?
    - Are the puddles formed on any surface or you have to create some special surface? Can we assign areas to have puddles which aren't removed for a long time? (do these puddles make wet sounds when stepped on?)
    - Does this asset affect wind at all during storms and such? I kept trying to see if the vegetation in the video was affected but it looks like it's permanently set to high wind. Can we set custom wind speed for different seasons? (if there is cloth in environment, it would be nice to see it get affected too).
    - Will this work with assets like AQUAS, SUIMONO Water System, PlayWay Water System?
    - Why does the snow turn dark during nighttime? Can we change snow particle effect? (it's falling straight down like no wind is affecting the snow) This is the kind of snow I would like to see >>

Thanks.

EDIT: OK, I think I missed few posts before, but the developer did say:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  44. Vondox

Vondox

Hi,

with the included playmaker actions you can set and get time, weather and season. If have good ideas for more actions I am happy to create them.

"- Change skybox to anything I want."
    Sorry you cannot change the skybox. It's one of the major components. But you can modify and tweak the sky to your needs without coding. You also can change the stars night sky cubemap to your own.

"- Replace all default sound effects (if there are any) and add more."

Of cource you can just swap out all the sound files for your own.

"- Create dust storms only and with custom colors of particles"

"- Can we change rain particle effects to custom ones? (too thick drops for my taste)"
    All particle effects are Unity Particle Systems. You can modify or create your own and use with enviro. Just add the particle systems to your weather prefabs as child and add them to theeffect list in "Enviro Weather Prefab" component.

"- Can you change/remove tint during rains and such (I saw the video and color changed to reddish brown tint, I don't want that at all)?"

In next Update 1.7 (I already send out preview version, so you can get this right now!) You can modify the sky, light and fog color for each weather. This is done with "Weather Color Mod" Colorpicker in each "Weather Prefab". You can control the strenght of this by setting the alpha of the "Weather Color Mod".

"- Are the puddles formed on any surface or you have to create some special surface? Can we assign areas to have puddles which aren't removed for a long time? (do these puddles make wet sounds when stepped on?)"

The puddles you see in demo is just a simple plane. To have puddles on more complex geometry like terrains you want to use a special shader with dynamic weather effects like RTP, UBER or LUX. Enviro got simple integration components to automaticly sync the current weather with these shader frameworks.

"- Does this asset affect wind at all during storms and such? I kept trying to see if the vegetation in the video was affected but it looks like it's permanently set to high wind. Can we set custom wind speed for different seasons? (if there is cloth in environment, it would be nice to see it get affected too)."

You can setup a wind strenght in each weather prefab.

"- Will this work with assets like AQUAS, SUIMONO Water System, PlayWay Water System?"

I currently don't know of any problems with using these water packages and enviro in same scene.

"- Why does the snow turn dark during nighttime? Can we change snow particle effect? (it's falling straight down like no wind is affecting the snow)"
    That's a shader thing. You can change the shader on snow material with a more advanced one.

TalkieTalkie and pixelsteam like this.
  45. TalkieTalkie

TalkieTalkie

Thanks for the reply. :)

BTW, is there a specific reason for Skybox not being changeable? I mean, what if we want to create alien sky or clear night sky without any starts or moon?

46. Vondox

Vondox

You can do this with enviro's skybox.

47. TalkieTalkie

TalkieTalkie

OK, I thought Skybox texture couldn't be changed. All's well then.

Just purchased the asset, looking forward to messing around with it now. :)

PS: How do I get the latest version? 1.7, version on store is 1.6.1 only.

PPS: Which shader Framework is recommended though? ("RTP, UBER or LUX") Which one was used in the video? Also, I can't find RTP in store, is it Relief Terrain Pack?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Vondox likes this.
  48. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Yeah it is. RTP works very well for Terrain Textures (Max of 8 Textures) and Terrain Features like Snow / Water Effects and POM / Tessalation features.
    Please remember that RTP does not cover these features on Meshes / Objects. So if you want to have snow / water and pom / tesselation stuff also on your stones / houses etc. you need "UBER" for that.

1.7 is not released by the way. So will take some time until hit the asset store.
    Have fun with Enviro. You will not regret it.

Cheers
    Ronny

P_Jong, TalkieTalkie and Vondox like this.
  49. Vondox

Vondox

Send me an e-mail if you want to test 1.7 before release, or if you need support.

TalkieTalkie likes this.
  50. TalkieTalkie

TalkieTalkie

So RTP will allow snow and water effects on terrain and UBER will allow them on models? So I will need both to fully use Enviro's features? (btw, Enviro's water effects will work automatically on all objects and terrain with these extra assets installed?)

I thought Unity had tesselation for models already (unless I am mistaking the feature from Unreal 4).