Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Enviro - Sky and Weather (Dynamic Sky and Weather System)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Vondox, Apr 11, 2015.

1. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

The screens look amazing. Everything seems so real (except for the snow / rain particles ;))
    The sundown moon screen is really nice!

What became of the Volumetric Lightning integration? Did you do something by yourself in the new fog shader? Will you implement it or will you just skip it fist, add it later or wait for something better? Just curious about the status with Volumetric Lightning.

Btw. guys: Vondox and I figured out that RTP global wetness integration does currently not work with newest RTP version. Already asked Tom the author of RTP about it.

2. Sluta

Sluta

3. Loishtc

Loishtc

How can i set up a foggy night with the enviro event script?

4. Vondox

Vondox

Hi Loishtc,

the event script is used when you actually want to do something after Enviro for example changes the weather, season or time. If you want to tell Enviro to do something you have to call a simple function in your script.

If you want to change the current time call: EnviroMgr.instance.Envirosky.GameTime.Hours = float time;
    For changing the current weather: EnviroMgr.instance.EnviroWeather.SetWeatherOverwrite(int weatherid);

So if you didn't changed the weathertypes yet, for a foggy night you need to call:

EnviroMgr.instance.EnviroWeather.SetWeatherOverwrite(1);
    EnviroMgr.instance.Envirosky.GameTime.Hours = 24f;

I hope i could help you. If you need further help feel free to write me an e-mail at vondox@live.de .

Loishtc likes this.
  5. Vondox

Vondox

Update 1.5 was send to review today! It should be online in the next days.
    A lot of work gone into this update, and many things changed. You maybe want to delete your old Enviro installation and do a fresh import to get rid of old files.

Final changelog:
    Here is the new weblayer: Check it out!

Attention
    for everyone who was using Enviro for mobiles! There will be a seperate asset named Enviro - Mobile Edition released in the next week! If you already bought Enviro you will get this for 1$. I am sorry but Unity doesn't allow upgrades for free... :/
    I will announce when it is released and give you an explanation how to update your mobile projects.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    RonnyDance likes this.
  6. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

I was one of the lucky guys who could test the new upcoming 1.5 version.
    I can just say that the new Cloud / Fog System together with the new Shaders are something I never saw in just one Weather System Asset. They are really amazing!
    Enviro improved so much with this version and is becoming more and more unique.

But I don't want to talk too much. Here are some screenshots using Enviro and some Postprocess Assets:

Really happy with the new version which is a huge improvement in everything!
    Hope this little screenshots show you what you can expect from the new update.

Cheers
    Ronny

radimoto, StevenPicard and Vondox like this.
  7. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

The screenshots look great!

Does this support infinite terrain (ex. Map Magic)?

8. Vondox

Vondox

Hi StevePicard,

yes infinite game worlds are supported, the system is player driven :)

Greetings

9. Sluta

Sluta

If I buy now, I get a separate mobile version for free?

10. Vondox

Vondox

I just checked and i can't setup a "upgrade" to another version for free,
    1$ is minimum :/

So everyone who already bought or buy the original Enviro in future will have to pay another dollar to get Mobile Edition.

11. Sluta

Sluta

I check version webplayer, there is almost no configuration options.
    What are the possibilities configuration of the various elements?

Generally, I like this package, but not everything :)
    for example:

I mean the effect of the impact of raindrops.
    I can reduce size and accelerate this effect?

Attached Files:

12. Vondox

Vondox

Yea the the controls in weblayer are limited, its just a preview of the standard configs, you have way more settings in editor.
    You can create your own weathertype with your own effects, save it as prefab and add it to the system. No coding required. The rain effects like drops and splashes or snow are unity particle systems. So you can modify them or change them completly for another rain particle effect.

13. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

As Vondox said: Rain / Raindrops / Snowflakes are Particle Effects. You can change them with every other Particle Effects for Rain and Snow from the Asset Store. So if you don't like them just change them :)

The Webdemo does only have a small amount of possible configuration and options. You can change really everything in the Inspector that has to do with weather. I would recommend you to take a look to the Documentation. There you can find some screenshots and information which show you more options.

Vondox likes this.
  14. Sluta

Sluta

Ok, thanks :)
    I am a novice in matters of graphics and effects.
    In my ranking of all assets of this kind, the first place is Enviro. :) ........but...
    I read it:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/un...storm-mobile-free.121021/page-67#post-2377282
    I do not know exactly how it works, but I really like it. If ... Enviro contained it, I would buy 3 licenses. :)
    Is any chance of such a thing in Enviro? I'm sorry that I still write about it, but it is important for me.

P.S.
    These two shots are beautiful, especially the first :)

15. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

This feature is planed for the next version as I am aware of.
    Here the response of Vondox:
    As you can see it's similar to the UniStorm Feature. Checking if player enters height etc etc. So this feature could be added to Version 1.6.

Nice to hear that the screenshots look good :)
    Cheers
    Ronny

Vondox likes this.
  16. one_one

one_one

Out of the box integration for Horizon[On] for example would be sweet!

17. Szaruga

Szaruga

Vondox said:
    What features you would like to see to complement the season system in future updates?

I want:
    - even more improved fog (as in England in the days of Sherlock Holmes) ;)
    - added morning and evening audio ambient
    - more options in configuring own weather presets
    - climate zones
    - price reduction to get more and more community

18. one_one

one_one

I think the current price is fair considering the asset's features. Fog can be relatively easily substituted. I think in order to attract more people, the (asset store) presentation might need some more polish.
    Another interesting feature would be support for other dedicated skybox packages. Some look better, because that's basically their main selling point. This would allow the asset to emphasise more on its standout feature, the season system.

Vondox likes this.
  19. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

You will have a better Fog System in Version 1.5. I also use it for a Sherlock Holmes dark victorian game. So I can't complain...

For that you have toon of sound assets in the store. For me it's not "normal" for a Weather Asset that it comes with Sounds anyway. Of course more sounds would be pretty awesome, but you can fix that simply by getting more ambient sounds from other Sounds Assets. I am pretty sure that Vondox is not an Audio Designer, so he is using free Ambience Sounds from the Internet, which you also could get by yourself.

What options do you have in mind exactly?

Yeah I agree, but Vondox already said it will be added in a future update.

I disagree in this, and agree with @christoph_r. The price is pretty fair if you compare it with other weather assets. If you take a closer look it's also the cheapest weather assets of all "big" ones and Enviro is not missing important features or something like that. It still offers some pretty unique stuff like RTP and UBER support out of the box, but as you also mentioned misses climate zones for example.

Just my 2 cents. I think everybody should take a look to Version 1.5 which should be online today / tomorrow in the store. And after that new feedback should be colltected for version 1.6.

@christoph_r
    I do not own Horizon ON but always wanted to buy it in the future. What exactly needs to be done to combine it with Enviro? Is it too hard, are there problems? Just to know what out of the box support would be look like.

Cheers
    Ronny

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    Vondox and one_one like this.
  20. one_one

one_one

No, it's not terribly hard, but there's a couple of variables to consider such as street lights turning on at night, dynamic snow, swapping out trees etc. It'd be more a "nice to have" thing, making this even more of a time-saver asset (especially considering both assets are still updated and subject to change.)
    By the way, when I asked about additions to the season system I was mostly thinking of improved sky visuals. Then the announcement for the new version came so that was a moot point then.

21. Vondox

Vondox

Thanks for your ideas Szaruga and christoph_r, I appreciate it.

I will definitely add climate zones system in next update and also take a look into Horizon[On] and get a license when I got some spare money. An integration would be really awesome :)
    I also thought about some kind of "Audio Manager" where you can setup all kind of ambients sounds based on time, weather, seasons and maybe zones. Good point Szaruga.
    Because the other points you should test 1.5 first, alot of things changed and improved. If you still missing a crutial setting, let me know and i will try to include it in next update.

A short update on mobile version. I am currently working on the clouds, they not finished yet. Here a wip screenshot:
    upload_2016-9-6_1-59-3.png
    I hope to complete it soon! Stay tuned ;)

one_one likes this.
  22. one_one

one_one

A prefab-based ambient audio manager would be amazing!

23. Szaruga

Szaruga

I do not think that the price is wrong, but...

A potential new customer almost always buy what is popular and has a large community, and a large sale, so choose UniStorm or Tenkoku, without going into the advantages of Enviro.
    Low price (eg. a longer period of promotion) would attract customers, increased community and made it Enviro would have purchased more.
    But that's just my opinion, I might be wrong.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  24. one_one

one_one

Right. A promotional sale might work. I think that's usually up to Unity to decide, though. Maybe with the new upcoming version?

25. Vondox

Vondox

Your right, it's Unity's decision what assets go in sale but Enviro is registered for all kind of sale events. I hope that it will be picked someday :)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    one_one likes this.
  26. Vondox

Vondox

Update 1.5 released on Asset Store!

It is a big update that changes a lot! To get rid of depricated files, delete "Enviro" folder and do a fresh import! If not replace the "EnviroSky" prefab in your scenes with the new "EnviroSky 1.5" prefab. Also make sure to remove the old "EnviroAtmosphericFog" component on your camera!

Changelog (1.5):

one_one and RonnyDance like this.
  27. Loishtc

Loishtc

With new Enviro 1.5 my RTP terrain grow no snow anymore with the heavy snow preset (snow val = 1).
    Is there a way to make it work again? With 1.4 Enviro autocontrolled the wet and snow ammount the terrain have with no problem.

1.5 documentation will be apreciated.

Great asset btw

28. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Hmmm I can't reproduce this. For me Enviro 1.5 works great with RTP using Snow and Rain.
    Some points you should check:
    1. Did you delete the old Enviro 1.4 version and imported the new Enviro 1.5 version completely fresh to your project?
    2. Did you add the new RTP Enviro Script to your Enviro prefab and did you link in this RTP script to your terrain and RTP Terrainscript?
    3. Did you add the Main Camera and Character to the Enviro script?
    4. There is a new Snow Accumulation Speed option in the Enviro Weather Script. If you increase it from 0.05 to 0.1 or somehing higher than the default, the snow should be spawned faster.

Normally everything should work after this steps. As you can see in my screenshots some posts above, I don't have any issues with Snow / Rain Effects on RTP terrain.

Cheers
    Ronny

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    Loishtc and Vondox like this.
  29. Vondox

Vondox

Hi,
    check the steps RonnyDance posted, thank for that. If you still run into problems send a mail to vondox@live.de with screenshots of you "EnviroRTP","EnviroWeather" component, Unity version and RTP version please.

A new documentation will be released with Update 1.5.1. I want to add tooltips for all settings in the inspectors and create a new documentation then.

Loishtc and one_one like this.
  30. Loishtc

Loishtc

SORRY!!! Now works fine as f**k, I forget to unzip the rtp script when upgrading to 1.5 :S

Thank you for your advice, this is an amazing asset.

Vondox likes this.
  31. amynox

amynox

Hi,

Where i can find the documentation for 1.5. the documentation link included still point to 1.3 ?!

32. Vondox

Vondox

Hi amynox,

sorry but i can't provide a documentation for 1.5 at the moment. I will release a complete new documentation with the next update. This includes a better structure, editor tooltips and new features like weather zones, photon and uNet implementation.
    If you run into problems or have questions feel free to send me a mail.

Greetings

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    one_one and RonnyDance like this.
  33. Loishtc

Loishtc

IS there a stimate release date for the new update?

34. wise_hbg

wise_hbg

Hi!
    Thank you for a very nice plugin. Eagerly waiting for new exciting features :)

I found an easily fixed bug in the cloud shader. Playing around with the wind direction of the clouds I noticed that the Y-component of the wind direction did not affect the clouds at all.

The _WindDir (Vector4) property is set using a Vector2 but the shader is using "rb" instead of "rg" which effectively omits the Y-component from the original Vector2.

EnviroVolumeClouds.shader, line 118:
    fixed2 baseAnimation = (_Time.g + _TimeEditor.g) * 0.001 * (_WindDir.rb * _Offset) + _CloudsMap_ST.ba;

So we just need to change that to "rg" and everything works fine. Maybe something to fix for next update?
    Thanks!

Vondox likes this.
  35. Vondox

Vondox

Sorry can't give you an eta for now. I still need to write the documentation and finish and test network integration.

Hi,
    nice to hear that you like Enviro! I will post a complete changelog for next update soon and release mobile version too of course! I just need the time to finish documentation for both versions :/
    Thanks for the fix, i will change it immediatly ;)

Greetings

36. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

I just noticed a weird thing. Perhaps there is a workaround for that or a planned fix.
    If I start a scene using Enviro with 100% Snow or Rain / Storm chance, the scene always starts first in "blue beautiful sunny day" mode. After 5-8 seconds the real defined weather is taken and you see how clouds are spawned and it's beginning to rain / snow.
    Looks pretty ugly. Would be awesome if Enviro would start immediately with the defined weather and would not need X seconds to build it first.

Really looking forward for the upcoming update. Every update of Enviro brings so many new and nice features with it. Height specific weather is something I am really interested. Letting it snow on high mountains so only mountains are spawned with snow. RTP already offers setting Height for Snow Effect. So letting Enviro use this value would to that. Aww I am dreaming ;)

Cheers
    Ronny

37. Vondox

Vondox

Hi Ronny,

a simple workaround for your situation would be to match the clouds "coverage" and "colors" at the EnviroSky prefab -> clouds to your weather you want to start with. But thanks for mentioning this, i will add a fix for that in next update.

Greetings,
    Hendrik

one_one likes this.
  38. derkoi

derkoi

Any eta for the mobile version please?

39. Vondox

Vondox

Hi derkoi,

mobile edition is already uploaded to store and pending review. Should be available on Asset Store soon!
    Price will be 20$ and can be upgraded to Enviro - Desktop Edition. Everyone who already bought Enviro - Desktop Edition get it for 1$.

Greetings,
    Hendrik

radimoto likes this.
  40. derkoi

derkoi

Thanks for the reply. I'll pick up a copy. :)

41. castor76

castor76

Hi. This may sound a bit strange, but can this be used in 2D? (Orthographic camera) Will sun and moon render correctly without stretching? How much of fine control do we have over the position of the moon and the sun? ( is manual position of the sun and moon possible? )

42. Vondox

Vondox

Hi castor76,

I am sorry but Enviro isn't designed for orthographic cameras and there won't be an version for 2D games in future.

Greetings,
    Hendrik

P.S: Sorry but Enviro Mobile is delayed... I have waited a few weeks before Unity told me to NOT include any standard assets (In Enviro case the demo character controller) in new releases.

I also wanted to inform you that my old domain is no longer in use and the link for documentation has changed!
    New link: ENVIRO 1.5 documentation

43. facundogalella

facundogalella

Hi, In my game the player can switch between 3 cameras, I can use this environment in the three or just in one of this cameras?

Thanks

44. Vondox

Vondox

Hi facundogalella,

Enviro uses an image effect for fog and lightshaft. Out of box these will be added on start on the defined camera and controlled in runtime to reflect current time of day and weather. When switching between cameras you would need to tell Enviro that camera switched and make sure that needed effects are added to new camera and can be controlled. This would need a little function to be called on every camera switch.
    I can help you the code to make this work, of course.

Greetings,
    Hendrik

45. facundogalella

facundogalella

Thank you. So if the environment not disappear in the camera's transitions is perfect for me.

46. clickmatch

clickmatch

Quick question.. with this asset, can a character run inside, where there is no rain or snow, and still see the weather outside? Like a "safe/interior" zone. Thanks

47. Vondox

Vondox

Hi,

there is no interior zone feature at the moment. But you can setup particle colision to stop rain and snow going through roof.

Greetings,
    Hendrik

48. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Wow new 1.6 Version hit the Asset Store with a lot of new cool features like unlimited weather zones and Multiplayer Support.

Hendrik could you explaine more detailed what this new features do:
    * New Feature: Added optional runtime assign for player and camera.
    * New Feature: Added function to change focus. When player or camera changed on runtime.

Thanks a lot for the update. Gonna play with is in the coming weeks.

Cheers
    Ronny

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  49. Vondox

Vondox

Hi Ronny,

runtime assignment only needed when your player and/or camera isn't in scene and gets instantiated. You got two new fields to fill in your player and camera tag. Enviro will search for these and assign and start when both are found. If you leave tagfields empty you also can call EnviroSky.instance.AssignAndStart(GameObject plr,Camera cam); and manual tell enviro your player and camera and start simulation.
    The second new function is only needed when you want to change player and/or camera on runtime. Just call EnviroSky.instance.ChangeFocus(GameObject plr, Camera cam); You still need to deactivate old camera yourself when switching.

Greetings,
    VoND

50. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

It is now :)

Vondox and Inspeinre like this.