Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Emerald AI 3.2 (New Sound Detection) - The Ultimate Universal AAA Quality AI Solution

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jun 26, 2015.

1. MahaGaming

MahaGaming

i have just paid for this and it wont let me download it? its not even on my unitystore !

2. BHS

BHS

We just checked and we don't see any sales on our side. Are you sure it went through? This would be an Asset Store issue, not us. We have no control over how Unity runs the Asset Store server.

Double check that the transaction didn't fail for some reason.

It's strange because there isn't a sale on our side. When did you make the purchase?

3. MahaGaming

MahaGaming

unity says i need to call my bank, but it shows on my online banking it taken off.

4. BHS

BHS

Hm, if it's taken off on your bank account, and you never can't download the system, the transaction probably failed some how. Rebuying the system could allow it to work.

5. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

When you do a bank transaction for credit card, the bank usually checks to see if the funds are available and if they are, they put a temporary hold on those funds until the transaction is complete. If for some reason the transaction fails, that hold will be released in a day or two. Sounds like that is probably what happened. Would definitely talk to the bank tho..

6. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone,

Here's a quick demonstration of the greatly improved flee calculations, herd formations (which was generated randomly with a random alpha), footstep sounds, and improved dust effects.

We have also added Max Herd Size to the Editor. In this demonstration we used a setting of 5. In the Editor we have a slider that allows to to choose anywhere from 1 to 10. If we need to increase this, just let us know.

We are planning on submitting Emerald v1.1 tomorrow.

Teila and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  7. MahaGaming

MahaGaming

im going to try again re buying it.

8. MahaGaming

MahaGaming

9. BHS

BHS

We're still not seeing anything on our side, I just checked.

If you have PayPal, it tends to be a lot easier.

hopeful likes this.
  10. MahaGaming

MahaGaming

i dont understand whats going on i will need to call bank tomorrow and see.

11. Teila

Teila

I would contact Unity's asset store reps too just to make sure it is not a problem on their end.

12. MahaGaming

MahaGaming

UNITY just gives you a help page that says if we haven't received the money contact the bank, and that's it. No more to it, no other info or anything. I need to wait 24 hours for refund from the bank now. I wont be using my credit card with unity again.

13. BHS

BHS

Emerald Animal AI version 1.1 has been submitted to the Asset Store. This is your last chance to get it for the introductory price.

We used our UniStorm Weather System for the sky, lighting, and clouds.

Here's a quick list of the following things we were able to add before we submitted. We will add a detailed list of what version 1.1 has to offer tomorrow.
    • Animals will now play a stationary idle animation (that can be adjusted via the editor) if they're stopping while fleeing (if they're current path is being calculated or the alpha they are following abruptly changes direction) This same technique is used in Skyrim and Oblivion. The results look completely natural and don't happen often.
    • An alpha will now wait for its herd/pack if they get separated or too far away. This allows herds/packs to stay together resulting in better looking herds/packs formation and realism.
    • Animals now have slope detection and rotate according to the current terrain slope. This allows there to be no hovering on steep slopes as well as resulting in much more realistic looking animals. This option can be enabled or disabled if desired. This feature is only enabled if an animal is active.
    • Terrain detection automatically disables this feature, if no terrain is detected.
    SlopeDetection1.png
    SlopeDetection2.png
    SlopeDetection3.png

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
    BackwoodsGaming and John-G like this.
  14. John-G

John-G

Would it be possible to have a beta level to the Herd as well as alpha.
    This way we can have the Herd follow the alpha but we can set up for example cubs that will only follow the mother.
    So cubs follow mother (Beta) which follows leader of the pack (alpha).
    Would be great if for example speed of Cubs were slower so mother would not leave them behind following the alpha, and if mother and cubs fell to far behind Alpha then mother (Beta) would become leader for that group and run is own evade/protect mode.

BHS, MadMapp and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  15. BHS

BHS

This is a great idea and it's something we can surely add for the next version.

John-G and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  16. BHS

BHS

Emerald Animal AI version 1.1 has been submitted. We have spent the last month listening to feature requests, coding, and testing. We are now finished with a massive update that will allow users to truly make their own ecosystems. After this update, we have more to come. We are sure everyone will love it.

Here is everything we were able to add for version 1.1. This is done from oldest to newest.

Emerald Animal AI version 1.1:

• Predators will attack/chase Prey. This is according to Prey Size (Predators can only attack Prey that are less than or equal to in size)
    • A basic health system (we are working on including one with the next update that will allow the hunting and killing of animals for both players and predators)
    • Randomized Attack Animations (Choose from up to 6 animation clips for your Predator to attack with.)
    • Prey and Predator pull-down option (This allows you to choose whether your animal is a prey, predator, or none)
    • Prey and Predator pull-down option (This allows you to pick your Prey and Predator's size which is either Small, Medium, or Large)
    • Attack sound support to play sounds when animals attack (We are in the process of also adding support of up to 6. These will also be randomly picked)
    • Dead GameObject replacement for after the animal's health has reached 0
    • Attack Speed Option (This allows animals to attack based on their customizeable attack speed based on seconds)
    • Behavior Types have been tweaked and categorized as (Farm [Never Flees], Cowardly [Will always Flee], Aggressive [Will always attack]) We are also working on another behavior type that will allow animals to be territorial (This will allow them to only attack when their passive seconds have been exceeded)
    • Hunt Seconds (This allows Predators to only hunt within their hunt seconds. Once they have been exceeded, they will give up on the Prey they were chasing)
    • Predators can now hunt and kill Prey (so far wolfs do the best on our 13 square mile test terrain)
    • All animals now use a custom health system
    • A custom player weapon damage system has been implemented that can be used to kill Prey and Predators. This is based off customizable timers, distances, and delays to perfectly match any custom animations customers may have. It also uses RayCast so all attacks are properly registered which then spawns a customizable blood effect right on the hit point of attack.
    • Animals can now attack while running
    • We have also added support for Run Attack animations for those models that have it (this is an optional feature)
    • Hit animation support, if desired (this will play a hit animation when an animal is hit by a player or other animal)
    • Customizable Hunt Time that controls when a predator will give up on a chase
    • Predators will no longer chase a prey that is already being chased by another predator
    • We have tested this with 120 animals on a 13 square mile terrain with no performance issues
    • Properly calculated radii so that they are accurate to that of the visual radio set within the editor. This will also stop animals from wandering out of their Wander Radius.
    • Greatly improved performance by utilizing Unity's LOD system. This is done be deactivating Emerald and its components when not in view. This allows Emerald to have 1,000's of animals within 1 scene at a time. Animals are then activated when within view when they become unculled. This process is seamless and fast. We tested this with 3,200 animals spread across 13 square miles and maintained 60+ frames per second.
    • Further optimized Pathfinding Options to better accommodate large amounts of animals
    • Implemented the first part of Dynamic Herds and Packs. This is done dynamically by randomly generating an alpha on start. There is a 1 in 5 chance that an animal will be an alpha. If an animal that is not an alpha comes within range of an alpha, that is also the same animal type (that is set within the Editor), and it isn't ready in a herd, it will become apart of that alpha's herd. Animals within a herd will follow the alpha (in herd mode) to its generated waypoints.
    • If an predator is within range and the alpha flees, all of its herd will follow in a herd formation.
    • This is all done efficiently and is only done when the animals are not being culled. This information is still accessed if a player were to leave the area and come back to it. The animals would simply start where they left off after they were culled and deactivated. This allows 100's of animals to be in packs and roam freely, graze, and hunt without impacting performance.
    • If an alpha animal dies, and it is leading a herd, it will generate a new alpha within its herd to become the new alpha.
    • Added Animal Category to Editor so similar animals can herd or pack up with each other.
    • Added Max Herd Capacity for each Animal Category. This is to help animal herds from getting too big and dominating your artificial ecosystem.
    • Added Frozen system that will allow animals to freeze for a randomly generated amount of time, when a predator or player comes within range. This randomly generated amount is based off of a min and max set within the editor. This is regenerated each time an animal has exited its predator encounter. This allows it to seem a lot more natural with each freeze time always being different.
    • After an animal has given up on its chase. It will return back to its starting position and continue to wander within its Wander Range.
    • Categorized most of the code into functions. So you can all things like Damage(damageAmount) to damage an animal or ReturnBackToStartingPoint() for the animal to return back to its starting position.
    • Various tweaks and rewrites to the core system.
    • The flee calculations have been rewritten to allow for more realistic fleeing. Animals will now pause (even while in motion from grazing) for a randomly generated amount of seconds (this can be adjusted via the editor) before fleeing away from the player.
    • Tweaks and optimizations to the pack and herd system. Herds and packs now from and move more realistically than they did with our last status update.
    • Alphas now function and lead more realistically and intelligently.
    • Added options to the Emerald Editor to adjust pack settings such as herd/pack distribution.
    • Added flee sound (This can be enabled or disabled via the Emerald Editor)
    • Added footstep sound system with adjustable seconds.
    • Animals will now play a stationary idle animation (that can be adjusted via the editor) if they're stopping while fleeing (if they're current path is being calculated or the alpha they are following abruptly changes direction) This same technique is used in Skyrim and Oblivion. The results look completely natural and don't happen often.
    • An alpha will now wait for its herd/pack if they get separated or too far away. This allows herds/packs to stay together resulting in better looking herds/packs formation and realism.
    • Animals now have slope detection and rotate according to the current terrain slope. This allows there to be no hovering on steep slopes as well as resulting in much more realistic looking animals. This option can be enabled or disabled if desired. This feature is only enabled if an animal is active.
    • Terrain detection automatically disables this feature, if no terrain is detected.

17. _invalidusername

_invalidusername

Awesome can't wait for the update. When do you think it will be available?

18. BHS

BHS

Hopefully sometime this week. However, the Asset Store has been known to take longer.

_invalidusername likes this.
  19. jf3000

jf3000

Can you tell me a few things please.

If an animal has more than 6 animations will you allow us to add more?

2. Will you be adding the option to allow the use of mammals? I tried to use a whale and even though the whale moved, it went backwards instead of forwards. I also had issues with fish as well.

20. BHS

BHS

1) With version 1.1 we have added the option to add up to 13 animations for various things.

2) If your model is backwards, that's a model issue and not Emerald. Your model must have be rotated 180° in the wrong direction. I would contact the developer you got the model from. We have tested this with 10 different animal models and they all work. The fact that it's a water animal shouldn't make it go backwards.

21. jf3000

jf3000

Have you tested with mammals from your experiment?

22. BHS

BHS

Yes, that is all we have tested.

We have ran into your exact issue before and it's due to the model not being properly modeled with the correct axis.

23. jf3000

jf3000

:) On the wandering option will there be an option to extend that 100 beyond its capabilities allowing the animal/s to roam where ever rather than in a green circle?

24. BHS

BHS

Yes, it has been increased to 500. There needs to be some limitation, but we feel 500 is plenty. This is 5x the amount it was prior.

jf3000 likes this.
  25. John-G

John-G

Is it possible to have different culling distance per animal type.
    I'm thinking for underwater creatures that most fish would cull at one distance but whales would be much further so they can be heard for long distance under water.
    Or if the audio portion of animals wasn't disabled while the model was then animals could be heard from distance and only be visible once closer.

26. BHS

BHS

The culling distance can be customized for each model. If an object is culled, everything is disabled to save performance.

John-G likes this.
  27. BHS

BHS

Here's our newest video demonstrating Emerald version 1.1. It consists of various encounters while walking through our testing terrain that is 13 square miles. This video has about 2,000 animals in it and we keep 60 fps.

28. MrGky93

MrGky93

How many hours days weeks it need for generate a meshnavigation like rain for a very very big mesh ??

29. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Aren't wolves pack animals? Nice video! I'm not sure I would want to stand head to head with a bear or a wolf. Hopefully the wolves don't attack each other.

What other animals can this work with? What about Birds, snakes, and fish?

When will the update that includes UFPS integration come about?

30. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

Hi

Yesterday i decide it was time to support you and bought it. I haven't had time to test it but at looking your last video i had a question.

At 1:31 in the video there is a dead reindeer and some wolves around, there is a chance that those wolves automatically eat the dead reindeer???? Isn't that what happens in real life???

Maybe that's a default action but as i said i haven't time to test it yet.

99thmonkey likes this.
  31. BHS

BHS

We have a terrain that's very complex with 1,000's of items and that's 13 square miles. It usually takes about 20 mins for this to bake. After you have baked the terrain, you don't have to do it again unless you add items that the AI need to avoid.

You can use any animals you'd like. There are not limitations. We have some customers using Emerald for bird and fish. Snakes are definitely possible. UFPS integration will possible with version 1.1, which should be out in a few days. In our video we are using UFPS and the melee animations. Our script allows you to set delays, speeds, and times, as well as effects, to be used for combat. You simply attach it to the FPS Camera game object of the UPFS system.

Yes, the deer was killed by a pack of wolves, dynamically. We plan on adding some type of hunger system with our next update, but predators do hunt and kill dynamically.

MrGky93 and 99thmonkey like this.
  32. BHS

BHS

Emerald Animal AI version 1.1 has been accepted and is now live on the Asset Store! This update adds TONS of new features such as health systems for both players and animals (this also allow animals to be killed as well as players), animals can hunt players as well as each other, form packs and herds, generate alphas, and tons more!

See all the new features here:
    View All Features

Get it here:
    Emerald Aniaml AI version 1.1

33. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Health system for players ... did you get this working with UFPS okay?

34. BHS

BHS

99thmonkey likes this.
  35. Teila

Teila

I do not see a tutorial for setting up without UFPS. Is it easy enough to set up that we don't need a tutorial? Since many of us don't use UFPS, it would be nice to have. :)

36. MahaGaming

MahaGaming

finally fixed my paypal and got my refund. I have bought it again and its on my unity store :) .

37. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Overall I like the new version.. However.. A couple of quick suggestions..

1 - You have a dead object prefab, which is great if you want to keep the dead object in the game for whatever reason. The problem is for those of us not planning on switching to a dead model, you removed the death animation from the animations. Since my models have death (and some even dead) animations, I'd love to see those options so we can use those instead. Personally, I'd prefer to just deal with one game object if possible and not have a separate dead one. :)

2 - I love the fact that there is now options for predator and prey. However... Now my prey don't seem to give me an option for attack animations/information. A lot of non-predator animals will turn and attack if cornered. My stag isn't a predator, but it has those huge antlers to try to gore the crap out of something if cornered. Hopefully some type of flee until you escape or die / turn and fight if caught up with type of behavior is added.. Something like if the animal is hit more than once, it turns and fights (if it has attack when cornered toggled).. or something along those lines..

I echo the request for a non-UFPS tutorial. Would have actually thought a non-third party tutorial would have been first and then other tutorials would be later.. Would love to see one for plain Emerald and then eventually, would love to see an ORK integration added... :)

Teila likes this.
  38. BHS

BHS

We will get right on adding the tutorial for setting up the health and weapon system with a non-ufps system.

We will be sure to take care of the attack animations for prey as well.

Teila likes this.
  39. _invalidusername

_invalidusername

Loving the update, well done!

BHS likes this.
  40. paulojsam

paulojsam

how to make the cube not float on air, its the sphere collider or the nav mesh

41. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Someone mentioned doing a Dead Animation instead of a Dead GameObject...I would prefer to have both options, but mainly prefer the Dead GameObject.

42. jf3000

jf3000

If there is no graze animation there shouldn't be an error same thing happens with the run, even though its set to none when I run it produces an error.

43. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Sorry, Dead = Death = same thing. Someone mentioned that they want to use a Death/Dead/Dieing/Die/NoLongerAlive Animation. I think that's great. I still want to have the option to swap out my Animal upon Death/Die/Dieing/Dead/NoLongerAlive with a Dead Animal GameObject. That way, for me personally, I can use the system as is and spawn in a prefab that maybe explodes into the guts of an animal that died, or a slowly rotting corpse that changes over time, or whatever and then Respawn the original Animal or put it back into a Pool Manager.

Semantics

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  44. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

That was me.. And I wasn't suggesting getting rid of the Dead GameObject. I can see it being useful in some games, but the removal of the death animation I hope was an accident. And some of my animals do actually have both death/die and dead animations. The dead isn't an animation as much as it is positioning the skeleton in a corpse pose. At least that is the way it looks.

Death/die is usually the actual animation of the creature collapsing to the corpse position.. I think that one is essential.. The dead animation.. Not so much.. I think Protofactor animals are the only ones I've actually noticed there being a "dead" animation in.. Still not 100% sure whether I'm going to use those animals or not... heheh

Teila and 99thmonkey like this.
  45. Dawar

Dawar

Amazing update

first of All your AI plugin is amazing .and very easy to implement

can you Add two thing more.
    1.(sleep or resting) not grazing .animal is sleeping or resting. when hear player foot sound than animal run away from player.
    2.leader follow .all animal follow the leader. when leader dead than randomly choose again one leader from animals.and another animal follow the selected animal.

46. jf3000

jf3000

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: GetRef
    2. Emerald_Animal_AI.Start () (at Assets/Emerald - Animal AI/Scripts/System/Emerald_Animal_AI.cs:317)

47. jf3000

jf3000

If I want to add 100+ deer what is the easiest way of doing this, obviously not adding the ai script to each deer.

48. Dawar

Dawar

make a single prefab and instantiate at runtime.

49. Teila

Teila

Yes, please put this back in. It is essential to my game as well. I also hope it was just a mistake.

50. BHS

BHS

Great to hear you're liking it. We have more coming with feature updates.

You need to adjust the height of the NavMesh agent.

Yes, we think this is a great idea and we will be sure to implement it with our next update.

Thanks for the report. We will be sure to take care of it with the net update.

1) I think the sleep or resting is a great idea and it's something we can totally implement. We also plan on implementing some type of hunger or needs system so animals will only hunt or graze when they're hungry.

2) This is available now with the current version. Emerald generates packs and herds according to the alpha. If you look in your hierarchy, you will see some animals have (Alpha) next to their name. This means they are an alpha and its herd will follow them.

We will be sure to add it for the next update.

BackwoodsGaming and Teila like this.