Search Unity

World Building [RELEASED] Dungeon Architect

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by AliAkbar, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Culrich

Culrich

I had a quick question for something I've been trying to work out. I want to add a little extra detail around the exterior of my dungeon walls. I'm going for a sort of pseudo-mountain top, using pointy rocks. The reason it's important that it's only the exterior is because I'm worried that having big pointy rocks inside the dungeon is going to look too weird while the player is running around rooms and corridors. Not sure if it's possible though, I've tried using EmptySpace, Floor Emitters, using walls, and they all seem to spawn into hallways and rooms.

Any help is appreciated!

Here are some example images. In the first one, there's red lines to highlight what I'm trying to fix. It's the gap between my wall model and my underwall model. The second image shows in yellow what happens when I try to emit something along that line and then it spawns inside the dungeon rooms / corridors.

Just hoping there's a way to emit something along the perimeter edge of a dungeon when the EmptySpace emitter doesn't work.

Attached Files:

2. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@Culrich You can do this with spatial constraints. However, there was a bug which I fixed with the 1x2 spatial constraints and will be available in the next update soon

Assuming the orange blocks are your rocks, you can have them show up only where there is empty space on the other side

S4G4N likes this.
  3. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Updated the floor plan model with room information. Also added a marker emitter script to make more room decorative markers available

4. Culrich

Culrich

Awesome, thanks! I'll check it out when I get the chance.

5. Borunor

Borunor

Good afternoon, @AliAkbar where I can find a full tutorial of your asset? I read your quick guide and watch your video but I didn't see any reference to how can I add enemy in a level. May I have a link please? Many thank beforehand!

6. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

I would like to ask. please

A tutorial related to city builder. I would like to see how to build a city with asset store theme

I want to watch your work step by step. It will be a great help to me. I've already seen your tutorial. It was helpful. But I want to know everything I need to do when I buy a product from the Asset Store.

Please~ It's time for a new tutorial.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  7. Borunor

Borunor

Also, a tutorial for pretty much everything. At the moment you just have a tutorial for a simple generation of an empty, simple dungeon. I want to buy your assets too but I aware that I can't figure out how to use it! I saw enemy in your promo video but none of your tutorial tell us how to spawn enemy. Did you use a different asset? Or is dungeon architect that take care of thee spawning and the patrol?
    Please let us know. Thanks

8. Snotface

Snotface

Search YouTube, there are plenty of tutorials on spawning and patrolling behavior. quill18creates is an excellent source of unity tutorials, as are plenty of others.
    Dungeon Architect is effectively something used for generating generic dungeons (and city plans and floorplans) instead of having to make them manually. If it becomes too specific it will lose its appeal, and also get bogged down with superfluous classes etc. @AliAkbar would be better implementing other algorithms for dungeons (such as cellular automata for caverns etc) than facilitating game-specific stuff.
    If you are looking for AI Pathfinding, i highly recommend A* Pathfinding Project (with tutorial videos and great documentation on his site), and Playmaker for managing behavior if coding isn't your thing.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    Alverik and AliAkbar like this.
  9. ayk

ayk

I'm not a pro with Dungeon Architect yet, and haven't tried it with spawning enemies, but there IS an example of having enemies spawn and hunt the player included with the package. The best way to learn is to play around with it and see what it can do.

AliAkbar likes this.
  10. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@Borunor You can also place your enemy from the theme file by dropping it into the ground tile with a low probability. However if you need something more advanced, the shooter demo sample would be a good base to start with (includes NPC AI, navigation, waypoints etc). I'll add a tutorial for the shooter demo soon

11. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I'll add a tutorial for the new City builder and Snap builder soon. @Borunor The samples include a shooter demo. It shows how to query the dungeon model and place waypoints, then create patrol paths from those waypoints, a sample AI that picks up the nearest patrol path and other AI behavior like wander, patrol, seed, attack etc

12. Darren-R

Darren-R

Hi all, just checking out the asset to see if it'll fit my needs before I buy.
    I am making a level designer for runtime that players can use to create maps. Is there a way to allow players to create their own layout using the painting tools of DA? Or is this just an editor thing?

13. iRYO400

iRYO400

Hi all!
    Does anyone have a modified GridDungeonBuilder, that draw corridors with 1 cell width? For now I dont see difference between rooms and several corridors in the scene, they're both have same size, look at the screenshot

Attached Files:

• Help.png
      Help.png
      File size:
      348.4 KB
      Views:
  14. Darren-R

Darren-R

@AliAkbar
    I am making a level designer for runtime that players can use to create maps. Is there a way to allow players to create their own layout using the painting tools of DA? Or is this just an editor thing?

15. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@Darren-R it should be possible but I don't have a demo for this yet. Some things are still editor only (like the cursor UI which needs to be implemented in the demo)

I'll have this in the next build like the one in the UE4 version

Arkade and Griffo like this.
  16. Arganth

Arganth

OMG its on sale :D was thinking of buying it the last few days :D

AliAkbar likes this.
  17. slimshader

slimshader

Hi! Just picked this awesome asset on sale :) Unfortunately I have issues to report already: in Unity 5.6 my Theme Editor is broken (shoes multiple prefabs in preview window) so I tried in 5.5 to see if problem persists there but there on the other hand it gives errors on import compilation:

Code (csharp):
    2. Assets/DungeonArchitect/Scripts/Core/Navigation/DungeonRuntimeNavigation.cs(5,39): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `NavMeshBuilder' does not exist in the namespace `UnityEngine.AI'. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    I assume it is looking for new NavMesh stuff from 5.6

Attached Files:

18. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@slimshader Thank you for the purchase. Could you give more info and screens on your 5.6 error as I'm not able to reproduce it. For 5.5, you'll need to re-download the asset (as another version was uploaded for 5.5 which doesn't use the unity's new 5.6 nav system)

19. slimshader

slimshader

Hey! Hm I actually re-downloaded asset from Asset Store in 5.5 but maybe Unity got confused somehow as the project was initially started in 5.6 (and then re-opened in 5.5). I attached a screenshot in my original post, shows 2 issues: 1) not showing a preview for Ground prefab (from Candy) and then messed up WallHalfPreview (from same set).

AliAkbar likes this.
  20. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Thanks for the screens. That's a lot of meshes in the thumb :D. These thumbs are basically provided by the engine. I'll have a closer look, in the mean time could you try refreshing your thumbnails from the theme editor's tool menu.

Edit: I also suggest using the 5.6 version as it uses Unity's new dynamic nav mesh feature and is far superior

21. syscrusher

syscrusher

Oh, CRAP!!!! It's on sale, and I literally just bought it at full price about three days ago! Arrrghhh! I hadn't even loaded it into a Unity project yet! {sigh}

22. slimshader

slimshader

Hey, sorry to bother but I have new problem when doing video tutorial 06 - Paint Mode. Basically it runs very slow on my machine (i7, GTX 970, 16gb ram), after moving mouse cursor, sometimes I have to wait few seconds for "brush" to change position but I noticed that it moves immediately when scrolling (with mouse wheel) or using keyboard arrows to move it as if mouse move event was not picked up and it only reacted to zoom or keys. I am also occasionally getting those in the console:

Code (csharp):
    2. ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
    3. System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[DungeonArchitect.IntVector,System.Int32].Add (IntVector key, Int32 value) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/Dictionary.cs:404)
    4. DungeonArchitect.Builders.Grid.SpatialConstraintProcessorGrid3D.Initialize (DungeonArchitect.DungeonModel model, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 levelSockets) (at Assets/DungeonArchitect/Scripts/Builders/Grid/SpatialConstraints/SpatialConstraintProcessorGrid3D.cs:31)
    5. DungeonArchitect.DungeonBuilder.ApplyTheme (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 Themes, DungeonArchitect.DungeonSceneProvider SceneProvider) (at Assets/DungeonArchitect/Scripts/Core/Dungeon/DungeonBuilder.cs:264)
    6. DungeonArchitect.Dungeon.ReapplyTheme () (at Assets/DungeonArchitect/Scripts/Core/Dungeon/Dungeon.cs:163)
    7. DungeonArchitect.Dungeon.Build () (at Assets/DungeonArchitect/Scripts/Core/Dungeon/Dungeon.cs:129)
    8. DungeonArchitect.Dungeon.AddPaintCell (IntVector location, Boolean automaticRebuild) (at Assets/DungeonArchitect/Scripts/Core/Dungeon/Dungeon.cs:311)
    9. DungeonArchitect.Editors.DungeonPaintModeGridEditor.ProcessPaintRequest (UnityEngine.Event e) (at Assets/DungeonArchitect/Scripts/Builders/Grid/Editor/DungeonPaintModeGridEditor.cs:151)
    10. DungeonArchitect.Editors.DungeonPaintModeGridEditor.SceneGUI (UnityEditor.SceneView sceneview) (at Assets/DungeonArchitect/Scripts/Builders/Grid/Editor/DungeonPaintModeGridEditor.cs:91)
    11. UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:2397)
    12. UnityEditor.SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1715)
    13. UnityEditor.SceneView.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1585)
    14. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Attaching also 2 visual issues in the demo scenes I noticed, not sure if they are bugs, attaching in case.

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      142.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.PNG
      2.PNG
      File size:
      188.2 KB
      Views:
  23. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@slimshader Thanks for the report. I'll have a look. For screen 1, you can attach a ClampToGroundTransformRule script in the node's transform rule to make it clamp to the ground. (It is raised because those objects are attached to the wall, which is also raised). Screen 2 is expected behaviour as every cell needs to be connected

DungeonArchitect_Samples/Support/Scripts/Rules/ClampToGroundTransformRule

24. vamky

vamky

Hi:

Just a couple of quick question:

Does DA support 2D platformer game level generation at this point? If not, is there a rough timeline when this feature will be added?

Cheers

25. syscrusher

syscrusher

A big shout-out to @AliAkbar here. He contacted me privately, and was willing to let me refund the license from just before the sale, and I've re-purchased today at the sale price. He emphatically did NOT have to do that, but it was a very kind action on his part.

26. dnoparker

dnoparker

I am seeing this bug in native Unity. I don't think it has anything to do with the asset.

AliAkbar likes this.
  27. slimshader

slimshader

Yes, I now see it too in other places. It must be a bug in 5.6.

28. slimshader

slimshader

Hi again, I am toying with a tile asset pack I already owned (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/10742) and while floors, walls are all square in size, I have some issues with stairs. While most tiles are 3x3 in size, stairs are 6x3 making them take 2 tiles. While it is mostly not a problem, sometimes it is giving unfortunate results. Is there a way to enforce more room in the stairs area?

Attached Files:

• 4.PNG
      4.PNG
      File size:
      480.2 KB
      Views:
    • 5.PNG
      5.PNG
      File size:
      726.7 KB
      Views:
  29. Binary42

Binary42

Hi, how did your exploration of occlusion culling turn out? Preferably SECTR?
    Im looking forward to it, since it would open the HQ-Mobile-Segment for DA.

AliAkbar likes this.
  30. arturmandas

arturmandas

I've built a simple Room Inside Builder for my game OS Omega:

This is a kind of builder that utilizes simple user defined grammar rules to build grid-like structures. Example:

makes a cross in a room 7 by 7, where 0 denotes ground, 1 a wall. It supports multiple layers. I use it for, as the name suggests, room insides. If anyone's interested, I can share the scripts.

31. insomniaunleashed

insomniaunleashed

Hi AliAkbar

I have been playing with your dungeon generator all weekend, i was having a look through the code and i made one modification that i would like to share, to enable cleaner output of gameobjects i modified PooledDungeonSceneProvider.cs to output parent objects for each of the marker nodes (Ground etc), like this:

Code (CSharp):
    2. public override GameObject AddGameObject(GameObjectPropTypeData gameObjectProp, Matrix4x4 transform)
    3.         {
    4.             if (gameObjectProp == null) return null;
    5.             var MeshTemplate = gameObjectProp.Template;
    6.             string NodeId = gameObjectProp.NodeId;
    8.             if (MeshTemplate == null) {
    9.                 return null;
    10.             }
    12.             // If we are in 2D mode, then flip the YZ axis
    13.             {
    14.                 var mode2D = false;
    15.                 if (config != null) {
    16.                     mode2D = config.Mode2D;
    17.                 }
    18.                 if (mode2D) {
    19.                     var position = Matrix.GetTranslation(ref transform);
    20.                     FlipSpritePosition(ref position);
    21.                     Matrix.SetTranslation(ref transform, position);
    22.                 }
    23.             }
    25.             GameObject item = null;
    26.             // Try to reuse an object from the pool
    27.             if (pooledObjects.ContainsKey (NodeId) && pooledObjects [NodeId].Count > 0) {
    28.                 item = pooledObjects [NodeId].Dequeue ();
    29.                 SetTransform (item.transform, transform);
    30.             } else {
    31.                 // Pool is exhausted for this object
    32.                 item = BuildGameObject(gameObjectProp, transform);
    35.             }
    36.             item.isStatic = gameObjectProp.IsStaticObject;
    37.             if (gameObjectProp.IsStaticObject)
    38.             {
    39.                 RecursivelySetStatic(item.transform);
    40.             }
    42.             // tidy up gameobject output
    43.             Transform tMarkerParent = item.transform.parent.Find(gameObjectProp.AttachToSocket);
    44.             if (!tMarkerParent) {
    45.                 GameObject goNewMarkerParent = new GameObject();
    46.                 goNewMarkerParent.name = gameObjectProp.AttachToSocket;
    47.                 goNewMarkerParent.transform.parent = item.transform.parent;
    48.                 tMarkerParent = goNewMarkerParent.transform;            
    49.             }
    50.             item.transform.parent = tMarkerParent;
    52.             return item;
    53.         }
    I am trying to use the ManaStation Eternal Temple wall in front of camera hiding script, it would be much easier to hide a wall that is blocking the player from the camera (top down) if i can make your code output the walls of rooms/corridors under separate parent gameobjects, i will post back if i achieve this.

Very impressed with your program so far, keep up the good work

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    AliAkbar likes this.
  32. Arganth

Arganth

after runtime generation what tools/ways are there to combine the individual pieces together

think that would increase the performance dramatically

else i just use snap builder with prefabs

33. hopeful

hopeful

I'm just looking into DA for the first time as an owner ( :) ) and I noticed in a video there are some events, like a "dungeon creation complete" event. Probably that could be used to set off a mesh combining plugin?

AliAkbar and Arganth like this.
  34. eTech3D

eTech3D

Hi @AliAkbar & @insomniaunleashed Does Dungeon Architect support the ManaStation Eternal Temple? Do I have to make prefabs of rooms and corridors, etc... or I just need to feed the prefabs that already existed in the ManaStation Eternal Temple?

I'm asking to decide weather to buy it or not?

AliAkbar likes this.
  35. steeloblk

steeloblk

Can you tell me what you used for the blood of the creatures that are destroyed in the demo?

thanks

AliAkbar likes this.
  36. slimshader

slimshader

DA is "prefab agnostic", it will layout whatever prefabs you have at hand BUT important part is that those prefabs are modular (meaning that they are prepared to be fit together in a regular grid).

AliAkbar likes this.
  37. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@EverydayWanderer Thank you for your support!

@vamky I have 2D platfomer in my todo list. I'll have more info in the future

38. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@slimshader 2x1 cell stair sizes are an issue and is a limitation for now. I'll be soon working on a post process script to go through the entire level graph and re-adjust the heights (i.e. reduce the height variations) where these invalid stairs are shown so a valid map is guaranteed

39. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I've made good progress on level streaming. This should help with indoor scenes with lots of lights, without destroying the fps :)

I'll have more updates soon.

frbrz and Binary42 like this.
  40. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Arthur, your game is looking great. Looking forward to seeing more

41. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Thank you @insomniaunleashed This is a requested feature to create the same parent hierarchy of the spawned objects like we have in the theme file and I'll try to add this in the next update

How is the theme for Eternal Temple theme coming along? I liked working with @ManaStation 's other assets, they are designed very nicely.

42. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@Arganth like @hopeful said, you can create a dungeon event listener to invoke your other tools to combine the meshes (Dungeon Architect doesn't do this). In the next update, I'll provide a script that creates clusters of nearby meshes that you can combine

Arganth and hopeful like this.
  43. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@ManaStation gave me a copy of Eternal Template a while ago but I didn't get much time to play with it. I'll see if I can create a theme for it

You can just drag and drop the prefabs in the theme editor and connect them up in the appropriate marker nodes (ground / wall etc). You can continue to expand it as much as you like to add more decorations

44. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@steeloblk Do you mean the Eternal Crypt demo? I used Cartoon FX Pack 2 . Particle: CFX2_BloodPuddle_Multiply

45. insomniaunleashed

insomniaunleashed

Hi @AliAkbar generally the theme for eternal temple is working but still a little basic, two specific questions:
    - eternal temple includes some curved edge ground/fence tiles, it would be nice if there was a way to work these in
    - also slightly tricky are the buildings which include 3 levels of ceiling, it would be ace if not only a ceiling marker, but also a ceiling2x markers were emitted to handle this

other suggestions from using ur asset would be:
    - applying a transform to the marker, that affects all attached gameobject would be handy
    - straight stairs work well but those lovely curved stairs from multi story dungeons which can either go to the left or right present a problem, would be ace if you could specify the minimum amount of corridor/room ground markers that are emitted when connecting rooms to corridors, also to specify whether allowed at the edge of a room/corridor or not

have a good one

PS FYI i get a compile error from a missing script on the external download of the 3dforge/gaia example Assets/DungeonArchitect/ThirdParty/Theme_3DF_VillageExterior_Gaia/Scripts/StrongholdLandscapeModifier.cs(35,35): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `SimpleCityDungeonModel' could not be found. Are you missing `DungeonArchitect.Builders.SimpleCity' using directive?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  46. chiefarchon

chiefarchon

Fogive me if I have just missed this somewhere, but does Dungeon Architect do Cielings, and if so Is this performed with cieling nodes or some other way?

47. SK83RJOSH

SK83RJOSH

Are you able to place things other than floors in paint mode? If so, can you place walls freely? Say I had one large room and wanted to separate it down the middle with a wall + doorway, is that possible?

I'm mainly interested in using Dungeon Architect as a content creation tool right now, but the documentation doesn't have much information about this type of use. :(

48. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@insomniaunleashed You can use spatial constraints for curved tiles. I'll try to make a theme soon with Eternal Temple

Sample: DungeonArchitect_Samples/Misc_Examples/Scenes/SpatialConstraintDemo

As for multiple floors do you mean something like this? I attached them all in the ground marker make it look like there are multiple floors

You can apply transforms to markers that you emit from the graph. As a workaround, you can do this:

I'll have a look at the error in the gaia sample

49. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@chiefarchon You can add ceilings to the ground node. There's a sample for this:

DungeonArchitect_Samples\Demo_Theme_Candy\Scenes\DemoScene_Indoor

50. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@SK83RJOSH The tool allows you to only block out the cells of the ground tile and doesn't support walls / doors etc. There's a lot of room for improvement and I'll be update it sometime in the future