Search Unity

World Building [RELEASED] Dungeon Architect

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by AliAkbar, Aug 9, 2015.

1. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I had some issues with co-routines while developing it initially (co-routines only work at runtime and not within the editor) so it is not implemented. I'll revisit this and check if we can have this (already have it in unreal version)

ANTARES_XXI likes this.
  2. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

There is a sample (CandyIndoor) with ceiling examples.

With Unity 5.6, we'll get access to Unity's superior built-in runtime navigation system, so we won't really need SharpNav that ships with DA currently. I'll port and post examples then on how to use Unity's navigation system directly with your runtime generated levels.

You can stitch prefabs together using the new layout algorithm that DA will support in the next update called Snap Builder

3. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@LarryWP Thank you for the heads up. I've fixed the broken link

4. OP3NGL

OP3NGL

@AliAkbar
    What's the appox time for the snap buider?

also i have been having problems with the units all my meshes are x,y,z 1 unit each, however iwhen i load your plugin, they are like this..

EDIT: also having errors like this when trying to load a them file...
    EDIT2: is there an easier way to input the units instead of trial & error? most of the modular assets i bought are set to pivot of the mesh rather than in the middle
    Capture.PNG problem.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  5. pro-bchevalier

pro-bchevalier

Hi @AliAkbar , I just happily purchased and installed Dungeon Architect but I am getting a compiler error from SharpNav:

"Assets/DungeonArchitect/ThirdParty/SharpNav/Collections/Generic/ProximityGrid.cs(64,38): error CS0117: `Vector2i' does not contain a definition for `Max'"

We're using Unity 5.5.0f3. Is this a compatibility issue?

Thanks!
    ben

6. FinalClaw

FinalClaw

I am interested in purchasing this from the asset store but I need to know something 1st

I noticed in the trailer you had it focused mainly around over head 3rd person camera like a point and click adventure will this be compatible with close 3rd person like hack and slash games where the camera is focused like devil may cry or 1st person camera?

7. AlmostBearded

AlmostBearded

DA is compatible with every kind of camera that fit's into the generated worlds. It really hasn't much to do with how you move or see your player. It just generates the world that he will be placed in and you have to ensure that the generated world is playable with whatever control mechanics you choose to implement.

Xepherys and Griffo like this.
  8. ANTARES_XXI

ANTARES_XXI

Hi! Do you have any news about DA updates (expected release date) for Unity? As I can see for UE4 there's version 2.4, but for Unity it's still 1.4.0

AliAkbar likes this.
  9. OP3NGL

OP3NGL

@AliAkbar
    How do 1 create high ceiling multi level procedural maps?

10. pro-bchevalier

pro-bchevalier

11. OP3NGL

OP3NGL

@AliAkbar Hello? u give so much love to the unreal side..what about unity?

AliAkbar likes this.
  12. fadzuli

fadzuli

I noticed that paint mode painted cells are lost when changing scenes. Looking at the code it seems that the ToolData in DungeonModel is not being serialized. @AliAkbar any ideas why? Is this fixed in the next version?

As a work around I added this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         [MenuItem("Assets/Create/Dungeon Tool Data")]
    2.         static void CreateDungeonToolData()
    3.         {
    4.             var defaultFileName = "DungeonToolData.asset";
    5.             var path = GetAssetBrowserPath();
    6.             var fileName = MakeFilenameUnique(path, defaultFileName);
    7.             var fullPath = path + "/" + fileName;
    8.             var dungeonToolData = ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<DungeonToolData>();
    9.             AssetDatabase.CreateAsset(dungeonToolData, fullPath);
    10.             AssetDatabase.Refresh();
    11.             ProjectWindowUtil.ShowCreatedAsset(dungeonToolData);
    12.         }
    to create a dungeon tool data asset that I can drag and drop to the ToolData field in GridDungeonModel.

Xepherys likes this.
  13. OP3NGL

OP3NGL

14. fadzuli

fadzuli

In DungeonEditorHelper.cs

15. OP3NGL

OP3NGL

thanks

16. lookx2

lookx2

Hi, I'm interested in Dungeon Architect and I'd a look to the documentation.
    Is there any way to check if there is a wall between two grid locations in grid dungeon?
    Thank you

17. fadzuli

fadzuli

Hi @AliAkbar, why don't painted corridors that connect to rooms create doors?

18. Snotface

Snotface

@lookx2 bool DungeonArchitect.DoorManager.ContainsDoorBetweenCells ( int cellA, int cellB ) in the DoorManager class.

Edit: I misread your post.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  19. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@OP3NGL for the city builder, the roads don't align properly unless the pivot is in the center (I'm missing some cases during rotation transformation). I looked into this a while ago but the math is still off in some cases. For now as a work around, please create a new prefab (empty object with your road mesh as a child) and center the road mesh

20. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@pro-bchevalier sorry for the delayed response. I cannot reproduce this bug locally (Windows 5.5.0f3). Could you try reimporting DungeonArchitect folder? (The definition of the Vector2i.Max exists within the DA folder and there are not external dependencies). If it still exists after a clean rebuild, I'll need more info like current active platform (Ctrl+Shift+B), OS (Windows/Mac)

21. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@fadzuli Thank you for the update. I'll fix it in the next build.

pixelsteam likes this.
  22. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@ANTARES_XXI I'll release it next week. I'm trying to push a few more features before that (toolset for snap builder like doom snap map, dungeon flow editor and runtime navmesh baking with 5.6-beta)

23. lookx2

lookx2

Thank you for your reply. ContainsDoorBetweenCells function return true when there is door between cells?
    It can use to check wall exist too? Thank you so much.
    P.S. look forward to the update version next week. I'm planning to get it once the wall check problem is ok

24. Snotface

Snotface

Hi, not sure, when i first read your post i thought you were looking for a way to check for doors, hence my edit; but i guess with access to the source it shouldn't be too difficult to copy that function and change the type that it is checking for (or override it with a cellType?). From the videos and reading the API docs, it looks like Mr Akbar has done an excellent job of making his code easy to extend. I don't own the asset either.... yet.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  25. AlienMe

AlienMe

@AliAkbar
    Hi, we are getting a weird behavior. Using Unity 5.4.2p1, and Dungeon Architect 1.4.0 (latest version).

Clicking Build on the DungeonGrid actor, creates a single vertical cube with a large scale... see attached GIF..

This is happening on all demo scenes.. any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks!

2017-02-16_16-36-22.gif

26. Ankaman

Ankaman

@AliAkbar when are you releasing the landscape architect?

27. OP3NGL

OP3NGL

pixelsteam likes this.
  28. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

@AliAkbar I am working on a large city with 70 different building types. I have two challenges.
    1. Without out the zoom function within the theme graph window this makes it very hard to set it up. As you can see this is only 10 buildings in the theme window.
    2. Would it make sense to have different markers for different size building.
    3. When can we expect the new build?

Xepherys and antoripa like this.
  29. LeeJiHoon

LeeJiHoon

The road is blocked and I can not make it through.

Attached Files:

30. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@AlienMe, that's strange. Could you try re-importing dungeon architect into your project again?

31. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@bens0n I haven't started working on it yet ;) Although porting it shouldn't take much time. I'll create a separate thread for it when I start the Unity version. Thank you for taking interesting in it!

antoripa likes this.
  32. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@LeeJiHoon Thanks for the bug report. I was able to reproduce it and will fix it in the upcoming build

antoripa likes this.
  33. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

1. Zooming is definitely need. I have it in my todo list and will add it in the future
    2. That is implemented and will be available in the next build, see next post :)
    3. In a day or two

antoripa likes this.
  34. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Updates to the city builder:

Road network improvements:
    The builder has a customizable parameter to randomly remove edges from the road to give a more natural look

Before:

After:

Custom Building Sizes
    You can now specify custom building sizes in the configuration with your own marker names (e.g. Stadium, Parking lots etc) that take up more than 1x1 cell space for the buildings

New Snap builder:
    The new snap builder layout method lets you stitch pre-designed room prefabs together.

You create your own pre-designed room called modules and save them as prefabs. In those prefabs, you'll also drop in snap connections near your doors that would allow it to connect to other modules. If a connection doesn't lead to another module, it is converted to a wall

Here's a video that demos this (in UE4 but is the same for Unity)

35. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

@AliAkbar
    Thanks for the update.
    Instead of the zoom in the theme graph window. Why dont you just put it all in the inspector? As it is much more extensible and modifiable.

36. fernandomedequillo

fernandomedequillo

Hi, will this work with playmaker?
    thanks

37. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Since you are adding a lot of game objects (~70 buildings) would a Multi-GameObject node help? One node that takes a list of buildings and their offsets. This would considerably reduce down on the no. of nodes

Sehee26, pixelsteam and antoripa like this.
  38. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@fernandomedequillo I haven't tried it with PlayMaker. I'll have a look when I get a chance

wetcircuit likes this.
  39. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

DA fully supports Unity 5.6's new runtime navmesh baking. I've also converted the Shooter Game demos to use the new navmesh. The performance and quality is much better. For the 5.6+ branches, I'll be replacing the SharpNav implementation with the much superior Unity implementation. 5.5 branch will continue to use SharpNav

wetcircuit, Sehee26, Xepherys and 2 others like this.
  40. antoripa

antoripa

Multi node is really nice idea ...

pixelsteam likes this.
  41. Xepherys

Xepherys

Do you plan to add you Eternal Crypt demo to the demos available in the package? I'd like to see some sample scenes that include some of the things like use of lowestPoint scripts with planes for atmospheric effects.

42. shawnblais

shawnblais

Hey Ali, we're looking to place randomly generated sections, within a larger hand built, free roam world.

Is it possible to define the start and end points of a dungeon, in world space? For example, I was to generate a forest dungeon, that is 200m wide and 100m long, with the entrance at 0,0,0 and exit around 0,0,100. Would that be possible with this asset?

Here's a quick mockup of the world layout we're after. You can see that it's important that dungeons start and end in predictable locations, and are oriented properly (ie, North > South, East to West etc): http://i.imgur.com/DzP3QYk.png

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    pixelsteam likes this.
  43. Ankaman

Ankaman

Hey does someone knows how I can use the spatial constrain for empty space objects properly?
    I would like to have rotate empty space object according the ground....
    The empty space objects have a facing direction and corner objects

So I would like to arrange my empty space objects facing direction to the ground.
    However If I try to use the spatial constrain as mentioned in this post the objects are not spawning?

thanks!

44. gskinner

gskinner

We've imported the latest project into 5.5.2 and are seeing a couple of issues:
    1. Dungeons don't generate. When I try to generate it only creates one tall cube:
    2. When I try and edit a theme, nothing shows up in the theme editor.
    You can see both in the vid: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q3l1sj73f62p8bu/2017-03-07_10-25-55.mp4?dl=0

Update: Re-importing into a empty project seem to work, so I'll try and figure out on our end what may be causing issues. But if the exhibited behavior gives you any clues, please let us know.

I've also found a new bug in the working version.

We're using 2 volume platforms, to indicate a start and end location for the dungeon, (http://i.imgur.com/CpZagzq.png) this seems to cause DA to lockup on a very frequent basis. When clicking build Unity Editor is freezing completely. As one example if you set the height to 0, it seems to always lockup. Many other combinations of settings seem to produce this result as well.

Please respond, this is getting pretty frustrating. I've encountered a slew of issues with this "premium" asset, and at this point it feels like we're out $90. I've just had it lock up about 10 times in the span of 20 minutes. There's no way we can use this in runtime dungeon generation, if we have to worry about it locking up the application on random seeds.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  45. gskinner

gskinner

46. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@gskinner I've tested with 5.5.2 and it works properly. Like you said, it probably is conflicting with your existing scripts.

I'll need more info to work with since I cannot reproduce you issue. Does you console log show any errors? Please paste them here. Also paste a screenshot of the dungeon actor's inspector window

You can always apply for a refund if you need it and I'll authorize it

47. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

You can refresh the previews from Tools > Refresh Thumbnails.

48. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@Xepherys Most of the DA features from Eternal Crypt are part of the samples. You can find the lowest point sample in the main Candy Demo where I place the ground slab. Is there anything else you'd like to see from that demo?

49. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@shawnblais You can do that with platform volumes. I've added this as an sample in the next update and will work with the next update (1.5.0)

50. antoripa

antoripa

Excellent as usually ...the best asset for level buidling ..

pixelsteam and Xepherys like this.