Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Demolition Media Hap — multi-platform 8k@60fps GPU video playback

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by leavittx, Feb 12, 2017.

1. leavittx

leavittx

@breezer Seems to be some problem with the Nvidia graphics driver. Maybe you could try updating it to the latest version and if that doesn't help try on another machine. Additionally, I would try with one of the example scenes that are included into the Asset Store package.

2. uwhapticslab

uwhapticslab

@leavittx For some reason, my videos will sometimes not replay when I stop it and then play it once it's already run once. Instead, it just freezes on the first frame of the video. I noticed that I keep getting the following error messages that the plugin that I'm using is 0.9.1 instead of 0.9.3. and I'm wondering if this is why the plugin isn't working the way in which I'm expecting it to. I'm also running this in Unity 2017.1.0f3.

upload_2017-8-18_9-7-43.png

3. pesantm

pesantm

Is there any possibilities to play mp4 files with h264 codec?

4. leavittx

leavittx

@uwhapticslab Please update to the latest plugin version.
    These are the steps which I recommend to take (in order to to replace the plugin .dll files on Windows with newer ones):
    1. Make sure your project isn't opened inside the Unity Editor
    2. Go to your project folder -> Assets -> DemolitionMedia
    3. Remove the Plugins folder completely (you've read it right, just delete it!)
    4. Open your project in the Unity Editor
    5. Import the latest Demolition Media Hap package (which is on the Asset Store)
    6. At this point it should be updated and work! To make the audio work, restart the Unity Editor

DevonChapmanNTM likes this.
  5. leavittx

leavittx

@pesantm This asset is only playing Hap codec videos (which allows fast GPU decoding). I believe h264 can be played in latest Unity versions natively.

6. leavittx

leavittx

If anyone is interested in quickly getting my asset to work in Unity 2017, just replace all lines like that
    #if UNITY_5
    with
    #if UNITY_5 || UNITY_2017
    in the C# scripts (.cs files) belonging to Demolition Media Hap.
    Can be easily done in Visual Studio or any other text editor/IDE with the "Find and Replace" feature.
    I will publish an updated version on the Asset Store soon!

7. mrik

mrik

Hello, I just downloaded the demo version. And it doesn't work.
    The QuicktimeTools.exe is crashing while importing the videos from your package

8. mrik

mrik

and some compiler errors.

Assets/DemolitionMedia/Examples/Scripts/RenderToIMGUIWithControls.cs(70,26): error CS1061: Type `DemolitionStudios.DemolitionMedia.MediaEvent' does not contain a definition for `AddListener' and no extension method `AddListener' of type `DemolitionStudios.DemolitionMedia.MediaEvent' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    Assets/DemolitionMedia/Examples/Scripts/RenderToIMGUIWithControls.cs(70,26): error CS1061: Type `DemolitionStudios.DemolitionMedia.MediaEvent' does not contain a definition for `AddListener' and no extension method `AddListener' of type `DemolitionStudios.DemolitionMedia.MediaEvent' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

9. leavittx

leavittx

@mrik Hey. Please refer to the post above. I assume you're using Unity 2017. If so, you need to replace couple of strings in the C# files. I'm publishing an updated asset version soon. QuicktimeTools.exe crash is expected and doesn't affect anything.

10. leavittx

leavittx

Hi everyone!
    I've just submitted a new version 0.9.5 for Asset Store review.

New stuff included:
    — Unity 2017 support
    — Support for videos with non-multiple of 2 resolutions
    — Added a note how to encode a video for 10k@50fps playback
    — Frame-precise seeking
    — Fixed wrong computation of frame index in some cases
    — Fixed native plugin not working on x86 architecture in some cases
    — Metal support improved
    — Playback will stop on the last frame is looping is disabled, not on the first one
    — RenderToMeshMaterial reworked and improved
    — RenderToMaterial and RenderToMeshMaterial FallbackTexture is transparent by default (can change videos one on top of another without blanking)
    — Documentation is now somewhat more complete (new section: FAQ)
    — Added native plugin upgrade instructions for Windows

The demo version is already updated! And you can already take a look on the updated documentation (both on the github page). Waiting for your feedback, so we could improve the plugin further!

Update: it's out on Asset Store now!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Muckel likes this.
  11. leavittx

leavittx

@uwhapticslab @mrik please try the new version and let me know if something doesn't work for you!

12. Muckel

Muckel

hi,
    just want to confirm... works great here on Mac OS X & Windows.... Editor Mac OS X...
    love the performace & quality ... best for animated grafix but not so good for life video footage...
    just for curiosity ... mobile possible ?
    great work!
    keep it up :)
    M.

13. leavittx

leavittx

@Muckel thanks for using our plugin! why not so good for life video footage?
    mobile devices use compressed texture formats different what is being used in hap.
    why would you need that? unity should provide hardware accelerated h264 video playback on decent devices with their new video player

Muckel likes this.
  14. Saulius

Saulius

Hi,
    I made a VR app and client has a problem. What could be wrong? The video is 4k 360 video.

15. Okamensky

Okamensky

Hello, I download the demo package to see if I can use it for my project. I am trying to make a simple VR video player. (no controls, just put on headset and play 360 video) I have managed to create a nice inverted sphere to play the video on the inside.

However, I need to adjust the contrast of the video which has changed after encoding into HAP Q. Is it possible with your scripts?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  16. leavittx

leavittx

@Okamensky Cool that you've managed to play the video in 360 in a HMD. Could you share your solution (probably upload the needed assets somewhere) so others could use it too? I'm working on my own solution right now, but yours is also quite interesting!

Regrading the contrast issue,
    1. It shouldn't change THAT much after being converted to Hap Q and applying backward YCbCr->RGB transform after decoding, so if it does something is probably wrong with the encoder
    2. If you want to change the contrast I can offer the following quick solution:
    Locate "Assets\DemolitionMedia\Resources\Shaders\HapQ.shader", and replace it with the following file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ngtcef8tszjbzsa/HapQ.shader?dl=0
    Then open this file in VisualStudio (or other text editor) and tune the brightness/contrast values on lines 8 and 9.
    I may make values as a Media script parameters at some point, if anyone else needs them. The calculations I've used the the updated shader are the following:

Code (CSharp):
    1.        // Apply contrast and then brightness
    2.         color.rgb = ((color.rgb - 0.5f) * max(_Contrast, 0)) + 0.5f;
    3.         color.rgb += _Brightness;
    It can also be easily adopted for Hap Q Alpha (HapQAlpha.shader is used)

17. leavittx

leavittx

Hi everyone!
    So finally I've made a complete example of how is it possible to play a 360° video in HMD VR setup.
    Get it here: https://dl.orangedox.com/WJaKnW
    Update: stereoscopic videos are now supported

Just import it into your existing project with Demolition Media Hap package.
    Enabling VR might be needed: go Edit->Project Settings->Player->Other Settings in the Editor and check "Virtual Reality Supported".

I'm quite curious and excited about it, so let me know if something doesn't work/some additional functionality is needed!

@Okamensky The updated Hap Q shader with brightness/contrast parameters is also included!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Muckel likes this.
  18. mbadawi

mbadawi

I'm having a slight issue with the seek and the pause mechanisms. I would like to be able to display a single frame of the video (or to only start playing it from a specific frame).

If the video is paused, SeekToFrame() does nothing.

And if I play the video then SeekToFrame() the last frame before the pause is displayed, then the seek is performed and the new frame displayed (which leads to a small hiccup that's pretty annoying).

Actually, I would expect that, when I pause a video, it displays the current frame it is at, so seeking should be possible.

So my question is this: is there a way to allow seeking when the video is paused?

If not, could you trigger an event when seeking is completed? (it's not the ideal solution, but I could live with it).

This is definitely the only issue stopping us from going from the demo version to the paid version.

Thanks for this otherwise amazing asset!

19. happiestUserEver

happiestUserEver

Thanks for the great library. I also have some questions about SeekToFrame(). I'm wondering if there's currently any way to tell if a seek is in progress? I'm trying to loop over just part of a video a few times, but I've noticed that sometimes it doesn't loop because it thinks it's at the end of the loop for multiple frames. I could work around this if there were some way to tell if a seek is in progress--is that possible?

20. mbadawi

mbadawi

I had a similar problem (needed to know when a seek was in progress as stated in my earlier message) and I managed to work around it by adding the requestedFrame and isSeeking properties to a class encapsulating the video player.

Whenever the requestedFrame is changed I set isSeeking to true and do a SeekToFrame(). Now as long as (isSeeking && player.SourceMedia.VideoCurrentFrame != requestedFrame) then I know I'm in seeking mode.
    As soon as player.SourceMedia.VideoCurrentFrame == requestedFrame, I set isSeeking to false and I know that seeking is complete.

It's ugly, but it works for my needs.

You can either do the check in a coroutine or in your Update() method, depending on your code architecture.

Hope this helps.

happiestUserEver likes this.
  21. meken

meken

Great work on this plugin!

On github you wrote this line: "Linux plugin build is possible". How should I interpret that? Are you working on a Linux version at the moment?
    I ask because a project I'm working on has a requirement for it to run on Linux and I'd love to use this plugin. Thanks.

22. vrai_unityassets

vrai_unityassets

Hi there. I am trying out the demo version of the 360 video. The video is not wrapping to the whole sphere and is leaving a ~40 deg gap at the back. Is there a solution for this? I want to make sure I can get the full 360 before purchasing. Thanks!

23. happiestUserEver

happiestUserEver

Thanks for your reply! I ended up implementing something like this, checking whether or not the VideoCurrentFrame had changed to the requested frame. It's working for my needs, too.

24. tatea

tatea

Hi @leavittx, your plugin works great but I can't get my videos to loop - is this documentation still accurate? Using
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Media media = getMedia();
    2. media.Loops = -1; // Play video in infinite loop'
    doesn't work at all.

Instead I've tried my own custom script. I assign the Media script in the inspector to 'media'.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using DemolitionStudios.DemolitionMedia;
    6. public class VideoLoopScript : MonoBehaviour {
    8.     public Media media;
    10.     void Start () {
    11.         media.Loops = 5;
    12.     }
    13. }
    However this does not work - the video does not loop the intended 5 times. Any thoughts?

UPDATE: It seems as if the videos are stopping 0.1seconds before their full duration (I checked with Media.currentTime and Media.Duration). This means that 'Media.isPlaying' is never set to false. What is causing this?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  25. luigis

luigis

Hi i'm trying your demo and i've made a video with resolution of 9600x1080 30fps, i'm getting this error when importing as movietexture

/Assets/DemolitionMedia/SampleVideos/pixmapHap2.mov]: Assertion failed on expression: 'GetPixRowBytes(ghPixMap) == ref.GetRowBytes()'
    (Filename: Editor/Tools/QuickTime/QuickTimeMovieImporter.cpp Line: 777)

UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    Can you please help me to understand?

thanks

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  26. CommotionTheory

CommotionTheory

Can you confirm that your HAP player supports stereoscopic (3D) playback (Over/Under) with 360 video? Also will this work at resolutions above 4K and at least 6K - maybe even 8K? Need to know before I make the purchase. Thank you.

27. leavittx

leavittx

@luigis Having errors while importing in Unity Editor is expected normal behavior, since we're using a custom video codec.
    If you have correctly encoded the video in the Hap codec and also path is correct, then the playback should work regradless the Unity/QuickTime import errors

Also, maybe you could edit your post to remove lots of uninformative lines with progress bar to keep the thread clean

28. leavittx

leavittx

@CommotionTheory Hey! I've prepared a stereoscopic player example for you, based on this video.
    You can download it here: https://dl.orangedox.com/WJaKnW
    Having an under/over videos in a single encoded video no problem, the playback performance depends on you PC specs (fast SSD is a must have). Having 2x6K should be possible on a decent machine!

I'd suggest trying the demo prior to purchase to check if it fits your requirements.
    Download demo here: https://dl.orangedox.com/8LKWBeG86kqVnESl6g

After downloading and importing demo package to your project, add stereoscopic player example package on top of that (link above). Let me know if you have any problems with it

Update: Enabling VR is needed: go Edit->Project Settings->Player->Other Settings (or XR Settings in newer Unity versions) in the Editor and check "Virtual Reality Supported".

Update: Side-By-Side stereo is also possible via setting "Side By Side" 3D Layout in StereoPanoramicOverUnder material.

29. leavittx

leavittx

@CaoimheD Unfortunatelly I don't see such problem (a screenshot or sample project would be nice to troubleshooting).
    Btw you can also use built-in Unity solution for 360 videos: take a look at this video. Some tips:
    • use "Render to Material" script provided to render to your material with Skybox/Panoramic shader instead of using Render Texture
    • leave 3D Layout of Skybox/Panoramic shader to None (unless you have a stereoscopic video)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  30. robotpapier

robotpapier

Hi, is it possible to display video on planes?

31. McDev02

McDev02

I wrote this because I had issues playing a video at highres and high FPS.
    After trying different settings it was clear that the codec settigns are important.
    I maxed out chunk size to match the thread count and it worked well.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    leavittx likes this.
  32. oliver_Random42

oliver_Random42

Hi there - I have purchased a licences version. All works fine in editor - when I build of OSX 10.13.6 I have a black screen.

I have disabled and deleted Metal from the Player settings as suggested in the insturction manual,

Kind of urgent for a prouction project needing HAP playback!!

Cheers in advance,

Oliver

oliver@random42.com

33. oliver_Random42

oliver_Random42

Never mind - managed to resolve this by using the StreamingAssets method.

Thanks for a great asset!

34. pcas

pcas

Hello,
    I am currently planning to use your HAP plugin in one of my applications and i was wondering about ffmpeg code you are using in it.
    I do not aim to request the source code, but i wanted to know if you can tell me which specific parts of ffmepg you are using in HAP. My concern is with standard patents that might be implemented in the ffmpeg code
    Thanks.

35. Wout_BlinkBlink

Wout_BlinkBlink

Hello, we are using your plugin on Windows right now, but would like to switch to Linux. You mentioned a Linux build was possible?

36. DevonChapmanNTM

DevonChapmanNTM

Hello, I'm having a bit of an issue with the plugin I'm wondering if you've seen before.

I'm using the MapVideoToMaterial feature, and sometimes, my videos just flatten out, looks like texture clamping (you can see my noise video clamping on the bottom screen). I can't figure out how to repro this, it just sort of happens as I am work on other parts of my scene. It might be related to tweaking material settings, but once it happens I can't get it back to a working state. The only way I seem to be able to fix it, is creating a new material and new asset and basically redoing everything.

Do you know why this might just suddenly start happening for no reason, or a way to fix it?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

37. aivo

aivo

Dear Lev and other experienced users of this wonderful plugin

I just aquired your plugin and I am really exited to play videos at insane resolutins and framerates. I am using Unity version 2018.2.14f1 and I get the following errors after importing (some of them I obviously get multiple times since some references seem to be broken):

• Assets/DemolitionMedia/Examples/Scripts/RenderToIMGUIWithControls.cs(70,26): error CS1061: Type `DemolitionStudios.DemolitionMedia.MediaEvent' does not contain a definition for `AddListener' and no extension method `AddListener' of type `DemolitionStudios.DemolitionMedia.MediaEvent' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    • Assets/DemolitionMedia/Scripts/Components/Media.cs(180,21): error CS0103: The name `Debug' does not exist in the current context
    • Assets/DemolitionMedia/Scripts/Components/Media_Unity.cs(533,21): error CS1061: Type `DemolitionStudios.DemolitionMedia.MediaEvent' does not contain a definition for `Invoke' and no extension method `Invoke' of type `DemolitionStudios.DemolitionMedia.MediaEvent' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    • Assets/DemolitionMedia/Scripts/Components/MediaAudioSource.cs(54,18): error CS1061: Type `DemolitionStudios.DemolitionMedia.MediaEvent' does not contain a definition for `RemoveListener' and no extension method `RemoveListener' of type `DemolitionStudios.DemolitionMedia.MediaEvent' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    • Assets/DemolitionMedia/Scripts/Components/MediaAudioSource.cs(61,18): error CS1061: Type `DemolitionStudios.DemolitionMedia.MediaEvent' does not contain a definition for `AddListener' and no extension method `AddListener' of type `DemolitionStudios.DemolitionMedia.MediaEvent' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    best
    i

EDIT: Okay, found the bug. The plugin is not designed for Unity 2018 versions, therefore one needs to remove the follwoing conditions in all the scripts:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_5 || UNITY_2017
    works now.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  38. Gontz

Gontz

I can't even open unity 2018.2.14f1 on osx
    It just crashes. also with the condition removed.

39. leavittx

leavittx

@Gontz the recent Unity versions use Metal for the Editor by default, and I'm currently looking into why it's not working properly with the plugin.
    Meanwhile you could force OpenGL as a graphics API for the editor, works for me then. Run the editor from terminal like this:
    /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/MacOS/Unity -force-glcore

and open your project with the plugin after that.

Please note that you need to disable Metal for the game build as well (see the FAQ/Q4 of the plugin documentation pdf)

40. Zinios

Zinios

Do you guys support UWP

41. leavittx

leavittx

@Zinios UWP is unsupported at the moment, but it's definitely in our future plans, if people need it (I guess it might be useful for mixed reality applications)

42. aivo

aivo

Hello

I have got another question.
    I need to playback videos with text scrolling from right to left on a screen with 60Hz refresh rate. I rendered the videos using after effects. In my unity application I use the following settings:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Application.runInBackground = true;
    2. QualitySettings.vSyncCount = 1;
    3. Application.targetFrameRate = 60;
    For the the media player I am using the following setup, whereas GOMovieHAP just holds the default Media script from this plugin.

Code (CSharp):
    1. hapPlayer = GOMovieHAP.GetComponent<Media>();
    2. hapPlayer.enableAudio = false;
    3. hapPlayer.useNativeAudioPlugin = false;
    later on I load the video.. (the contentFile changes from time to time)

Code (CSharp):
    1. hapPlayer.mediaUrl = _Globals.Path_Content_VideoFolder_HR + contentFile + ".mov";
    2. hapPlayer.Open(_Globals.Path_Content_VideoFolder_HR + contentFile + ".mov");
    whereas a couple of frames later (I have a predefined preroll) I start the video

Code (CSharp):
    1. hapPlayer.Play();
    Now I realized in this setup there are irregular stutters on the video. I realize when I set
    hapPlayer.FramedropEnabled = false;
    the stuttering stops and the text runs absolutely smooth.

I assume that this setting might cause the video to take more time to finish, since no frames are dropped in order to be in sync with the internal plaback clock
    Do you have any setup recommandations so I can leave
    hapPlayer.FramedropEnabled = true;
    and hopefully still have a smooth playback? And could you shed some light on how the framedropping works?

thank you very much

43. leavittx

leavittx

@aivo there are couple of things missing here: e.g. what is the resolution and framerate of the video that you're playing?
    is that Hap or Hap Q? Does it have audio stream or not? What are your machine specs?

Generally you're right: framedropping skips some frames when the decoder can't catch up with the master clock (audio stream clock is being used as such if present).
    That usually happens when the machine specs are too low for the video being played: slow CPU or slow disk.
    And of course the playback won't be perfectly smooth in that case: we lose some of the frames of the original sequence. Sometimes you can't notice that at all: i.e. in case of rare individual drops, also depends on content.

With framedropping disabled it's guaranteed that you will see all the frames that present in the source video, but the playback time may increase as you've pointed out.

Generally I can recommend to try to determine why the decoding is slow and find a way to fix that (disable 2nd stage compression / buy a faster SSD / try on another faster machine).
    Or you could use lower resolution/framerate, if you can afford that in your project.
    More info on that in the plugin documentation FAQ (Q4, Q9 may help).

I can give it a try on my machine if you send me a video.

44. adriaanwormgoor

adriaanwormgoor

I'm using HAP player 0.9.5. with Unity 2017.4.17 on MacOS 10.14.2. From either the Editor or a standalone Player, I see a BUCKETLOAD of logging coming from the HAP player. Every time a video reaches the end it spits out about 20-30(!!) lines of ".... : End of file" messages into the Log file.. for one video loop! I'm playing up to 8 videos simultaneously (of ~5 seconds to ~60 seconds each) so you can imagine that over time these Logs get ridiculously stuffed.
    From the sources I don't quite see where this log command is coming from, is it from inside the .DLL?
    Well, please let me know if there's a way to mute this line, I can't shake the feeling that this amount of logging can contribute to failure over time or in the very least makes my logs unreadable.

Thank you!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  45. leavittx

leavittx

The problem with too verbose logging which lead to waste of the space on the disk was solved, and the fix will be included in 0.9.7 release (along with reverse playback and other improvements). If anyone interested in immediate patch for 0.9.5, please send me a mail

LostPanda likes this.
  46. LostPanda

LostPanda

Has the update been submitted to the store? thank you very much.

47. leavittx

leavittx

The release is on its way, will make an additional post when it's ready!

LostPanda likes this.
  48. LostPanda

LostPanda

Any News?thanks

49. djsegler2

djsegler2

Just purchased 0.9.5 from the asset store. Tried importing into both 2018.2.2 and 2018.3.9 running on Mac (Mojave) - and it crashes Unity. As suggested on other threads, I've disabled Metal which allows Unity to stay alive - but the scripts won't compile. Getting things like "the associated script cannot be loaded. Please fix and compile errors...". This asset appears to be useless unless this can be fixed. Please advise.

50. AleXoNNNe

AleXoNNNe

Hi,
    I'm getting some weird lines on my rendered HAP video.
    I render it through RenderToIMGUI.
    It'a .2 sec video and it's playing on loop.
    Every 13 loops it's start showing this lines.