Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. reuno

reuno

@MudPuppet > 1 - No, but it's never been requested, as far as I can remember. That said, you just have to store them in a persistent object and they'll persist.
    2 - Same thing, you'd need a persistent object that stores the state of the scene (at least the objects you want to keep active/inactive). I could add that to the todo list, it's a nice feature to have.

2. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hey Reuno, hehe I have a score manager that's persistent. I just assumed that if the script wasn't on a GameObject it would no longer function. Brain's fried from stuffing about with static vars, singletons, and PlayerPrefs, feel like I have been going around in circles for most of it (LOL).

Would love to see anything for solving the pickups/scene scenario. Beats me butchering your code. My 'case' scenario is with my Quest system. The player gets sent to a different scene to find the quest object and then has to return to the scene with the quest giver to complete that quest. Sure I could do it in one scene using portals but I was trying to look further down the track where quest items may be spread across multiple scenes.

I followed that same approach with my high-score solution in the event that I wanted to make a feature out of that scene with some bells and whistles that wouldn't be possible or efficient to have in a popup screen (like what you did in an Infinite Runner demo scene).

Awesome job with the update by the way. A few minor issues that I need to work through but so far so good and I can see lots of options available now that previously would have given me some major hurdles trying to work out on my own. Keep up the good work.

reuno likes this.
  3. FranPina

FranPina

MudPuppet likes this.
  4. razo84

razo84

@reuno Everything is working now, thanks for the reply. Didn't know about the documentation on GitHub! Very helpful indeed.

5. addz92

addz92

@reuno Hi Reuno. I'm having trouble with checkpoints. They work perfectly but I'm really struggling to animate them. I want the checkpoint animation to play only when the player passes the checkpoint instead of all the time. So like the old sonic games, the checkpoint spinning when you pass it.

It has something to do with triggers but I can't seem to get it to work. could you help me with a script 0 : ) ?

Any help is much appreciated. My project deadline is Thursday and this counts as half my grade :p !

6. reuno

reuno

@MudPuppet > The "save pickup" thing has been added to the list. It's low priority right now, but it's there :)
    @FranPina > Thanks a lot for sharing your game! It looks gorgeous. I'll give it a try today! Can I add it to the Corgi Engine's showcase?
    @razo84 > I'm glad it's all working now :)
    @addz92 > I'm afraid I can't help you with a script, no. I really don't have time to code everybody's game, sorry. I can add a trigger animation for checkpoints to a future release though. It's never been requested before. It shouldn't be too hard if you want to implement it yourself though. Basically you'll need an animator on your object, and you'll need to modify the checkpoint class (or add a new component) so it updates a parameter on your animator (there are tons of examples of that throughout the project). Then, on your object's animator, you'll need a transition from your idle state to your "spinning" state that only plays it once, when that parameter becomes true (or triggered if it's a trigger). I hope this helps!

7. addz92

addz92

@reuno That helped big time thanks ! :D

reuno likes this.
  8. reuno

reuno

@addz92 > I'm glad I could help :)

Good news everyone, I just submitted v3.1.1 to the Asset Store. It's a minor release with mostly a few bugfixes and improvements here and there. The biggest changes are on the moving objects front (moving platforms essentially). The good news is they're even better now, the bad news is you'll probably have to setup your moving platforms path points again. So make sure you make a backup before updating.

Here are the release notes:
    * Adds animation curves support for PathMovement's acceleration
    * Adds cycle options to PathMovement. You can now have moving objects (moving platforms mostly, but not necessarily) follow a path once, back and forth, or looping.
    * Adds better character detection to moving and falling platforms
    * Adds an example of a single sprite based character+weapon rotation.
    * Improves AIWalk's reliability when the game is running at low FPS
    * The teleporter effect can now be defined from its inspector
    * Improves coroutines performance wherever possible.
    * Adds number of jump reset option to CharacterJumpOverrides
    * Adds 2 new animator parameters to the core Character class : xSpeed and ySpeed, that give the current absolute speed of the character on both axis. Note that ySpeed replaces the previously used vSpeed.
    * Simplifies the various Speed settings, you can now simply define walk, crawl, run speeds.
    * Separates PathMovement from the moving platform logic, and introduces the dedicated MovingPlatform class.
    * Prevents characters from sometimes remaining invulnerable after death.
    * Fixes a bug that would sometimes cause stompable objects to not give knockback force properly
    * Fixes a bug in the AchievementsManager that could cause an exception on Android
    * Improves/Fixes DamageOnTouch collision detection when colliding with more than one damageable object
    * Adds a generic version of GetComponentNoAlloc, so you don't have to cast and use typeof

It usually takes Unity somewhere between 3 days and 3 weeks to validate an update, so hopefully this time it won't be too long :) I hope you'll like the update!

Muppo, moh13777, Xain and 4 others like this.
  9. ThoZ

ThoZ

Hey reuno,

I just wanted to show you some love <3
    Thanks a lot for the continous support and frequent updates.

Keep up this good work!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  10. reuno

reuno

@ThoZ > Thanks, that's super nice :)

11. FranPina

FranPina

Hi community!

@reuno Yes, you can upload the game!, Really we needs views and downloads!! Thanks!!!!!!

reuno likes this.
  12. ThoZ

ThoZ

Kinda fell in love with the white rectangle character

addz92, Zehru and reuno like this.
  13. tysonwills

tysonwills

jmania is the editor available yet

14. reuno

reuno

Just a quick message to let you know that I've just released a new asset, the Highroad Engine.

The Highroad Engine is the easiest way to create the arcade racing game of your dreams. Whether you’re planning a solo, local or online multiplayer game, it's everything you need. It comes with AI, solo, multiplayer (local or online), full documentation, two complete game examples, mobile controls, and more!

You can get it now on the asset store, and here's a short video of it:

15. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hello Reuno, freaking awesome mate! Going to buy that next week : )

reuno likes this.
  16. twomack37

twomack37

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I really like the engine and enjoy working with it. The main thing I am looking for is how to make the jumping less "floaty" I would love to be pointed in the right direction of what settings or modifications I would need to make the character more of a "tight" jumper. Thanks for any help!

17. reuno

reuno

@twomack37 > There are a few things you can tweak directly from your character's inspector. Mostly the gravity (it's set on the CorgiController), and then all the CharacterJump's parameters. Alternatively, and if these are not enough, you can extend CharacterJump to apply the force differently for example.

18. Nienipanini

Nienipanini

Hi,

I have a question about the minimal4players scene. Is there a easy way to make the characters in this example respawn after they get killed at the same checkpoint where they started.

19. reuno

reuno

Nienipanini > That's not something that is built-in right now. But you can have a look at the respawn classes for reference if you want to implement it yourself. Basically the idea is to simply disable your characters when they die, then enable them again and reposition them for them to respawn.

20. Plott

Plott

@reuno It's been a while since I checked, but have you had a chance to fix the bug where the when you climb a ladder that is close to a wall and then 'wall cling' you float down? I've locked myself in my room for a month and havent checked on anything in a while!

thanks for all the hard work, Ive just received my PS4 dev kit, so I'll let you know how well it holds up on the PS4 side of things (not sure if you've tested it for that yet)

21. reuno

reuno

@Plott > Haven't tested on PS4 yet, I'll be glad to have some feedback on that!
    And yes, that bug's been fixed in 3.1 :)

22. Plott

Plott

@reuno

Ok! I'll download 3.1. now, any idea what specific scripts are updated? I've had to change a few scripts. (no worries if its too much to list)

I'll send you feedback on the PS4 side

23. reuno

reuno

24. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hello Reuno, just wondering if it would be possible to add Font Size and Alignment to the DialogueZone script if it doesn't screw things up. Okay, so Alignment may not be as important but definitely font size because I see far too many iOS games where it is next to impossible to read any text. I tried to implement it myself but scripting Font styles is totally unchartered territory for me. Thanks for adding the font slot though : )

25. reuno

reuno

@MudPuppet > Well now that there's a font slot, I might as well add the rest :)
    I'll put that on the list.

26. Stevepunk

Stevepunk

I started using the 2.5D platformer but want my character to turn around when he changes direction instead of just flipping.
    Is this possible? I could flip the character and in the same frame start a turning animation that turns from the back of the character to the front, but this might be a bit wonky if I try to use blendtrees as at the start of the animation the character would actually be facing backward.

I could start the animation facing the camera and only turn 90 degrees which would be less wonky, but ultimately less smooth as the character would cut from facing left (for example) to facing the camera then smoothly face right from there.

Can turning be added as an option instead of instantly flipping or is there a better way to transition with a direction change animation?

This is how it's done in 2D, what's the best way to approach this in 3D?

27. reuno

reuno

@Cereal_Killa > I'd say there are two ways to do it:
    - trigger an animation on Flip, with probably that animation already flipped, so that the Flip() is instant, but your animation starts looking the other way, which visually will be ok.
    - have the Character component's "Flip On Direction Change" set to false. That way, your model/sprite is never flipped, and you handle all that through the animation controller.

Stevepunk likes this.
  28. Stevepunk

Stevepunk

Thanks, turning via the animation controller might be a lot smoother as funny things might happen if I flip a character that is in the process of blending between two animations that each face in different directions. This would also allow the weapon to stay in the right hand instead of being flipped to the left.

Thanks for your prompt response!

reuno likes this.
  29. cooler150

cooler150

Hi reuno another question for you :)

I am working on the animation for a character I created and added.

There is an idle animation which works fine I have also added a standing shoot animation, so he can transition from his idle position to a shooting position but I can not get it to work.

I noticed you have a CorgiMachineGunFiring bool set up as a parameter in your SpaceCorgi animator I set that up for my standing shooting animation but shooting does not seem to trigger it, yet if I manually activate it by clicking the box next to it in the parameters on the animator window while the game is playing the animation plays.

Been at this all day not sure what I am missing no doubt it is something simple.

30. reuno

reuno

@cooler150 > Well CorgiMachineGunFiring is the name of the firing parameter set up in the Corgi Machine Gun's Weapon component, but probably not on your weapon. You can specify all your weapon related animator parameters directly in your weapon's inspector. The Weapons page of the documentation explains that in much more details (and a step by step), but that's the main idea :)

31. cooler150

cooler150

Thanks reuno got it working now. :)

reuno likes this.
  32. addz92

addz92

@reuno Hi reuno ,I just updated to the latest version of the package and now a bunch of errors are popping up in my project that weren't there before.
    Not sure what to do...
    Any help is much appreciated.

Assets/CorgiEngine/MMTools/StateMachine/StateMachine.cs(134,20): error CS0453: The type `string' must be a non-nullable value type in order to use it as type parameter `MMEvent' in the generic type or method `MoreMountains.Tools.MMEventManager.TriggerEvent<MMEvent>(MMEvent)'

33. reuno

reuno

@cooler150 > Glad I could help :)
    @addz92 > That's because the StateMachine.cs class is not used anymore (replaced with MMStateMachine). When updating it's safer to make a backup first, then remove the whole CorgiEngine folder, and then import the update, as Unity doesn't clean removed files. You can either reimport like that, or just remove this class.

addz92 likes this.
  34. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello Reuno, your work looks excellent as well as projects made using your asset.

I have a question before I purchase Corgi : is it still compatible with Unity 4?
    I need to stick with Unity 4 because I get better performance than with the latest Unity on my game project. I may upgrade later but at least I want to have a solid base with Unity 4. As a comparison, I get 45 fps with 4.7 and 30 fps with 5.3.5 and 5.5, while all the shaders and models are the same.

35. reuno

reuno

@Cha91 > No, sadly it's not compatible with Unity 4.
    I haven't noticed such a drop in performance between 4 and 5.x (quite the contrary actually), but obviously if that's your case that's a good reason for not switching :)
    I wish I could offer compatibility with old versions like that, but it's a lot of work and as new versions get widely adopted very fast, not really worth the effort, compared to other priorities like new features.

36. Deleted User

Deleted User

Too bad, I asked because I thought it was compatible with Unity 4 in previous versions. Nevermind, just my memory playing tricks perhaps :) Thanks for your reply and cheers!

37. reuno

reuno

@Cha91 > It was at some point (before Unity 5.2 got released I think). Now there are too many differences between 4.x and 5.5 too keep the two versions alive.

38. Deleted User

Deleted User

Is it possible to download a compatible version from the Asset Store or does it automatically pick the latest release?

Anyway I understand it's hard to maintain 2 different versions, it's the same for me as I work on my game which is a Unity 4 project and also on another project which always runs the latest 5.x.

39. reuno

reuno

@Cha91 > To a certain extent yes, I usually leave a few versions behind for people who wouldn't have the latest Unity. But it definitely won't go back to 4.x I'm afraid. Unity 5 was released almost 2 years ago now, that's a long time when you compare it with the Corgi Engine, which is also 2 years old (more or less).

40. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

Hey @reuno quick question, any advice on how would you tackle moving walls that would need to push the player forward?

I'm seeing that if if you made a Collider 2D with the layer of Platforms push against the player, the player just drops through the floor. I'm digging into the controller code now but I thought I'd drop you a line too!

You rock, thanks! :)

41. reuno

reuno

@GTsphere > Interesting question! I think a physics based engine would be more suited for a task like that.
    But if you really want to try, you should look at how the moving platforms currently work.
    Basically what you want to do is add the object's movement to the character movement.

AlanOToole likes this.
  42. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

@reuno that sounds like a good start! I'll keep you posted on how this goes. Thanks :)

43. Zehru

Zehru

Hi @reuno I have a pretty basic question, that I'm probably just not knowing where to look at.

I'm trying to let 2 weapons( melee and ranged) equiped at the same time, so one button would shot and other would slash, but I can't imagine a way of doing that.
    Could you help me giving me and idea of what shall I do to achieve this? ^_^

44. Zehru

Zehru

is it right? ( i think i'm missing something)

1- rewrite(similar but in other script) character handle weapon, creating another ability that would be a lot similar to it.(like CharacterHandleSecondWeapon)
    2- change the inputs on this new script to a new one, that I could call SecondAttack( in this way, it's necessary that I change directly the input manager script adding this new input)
    3- put this script in the character.

I think that this way will work, but then( as this input doesn't exist in the original script) every update I'll miss this part of the script and work on it again.
    Is there any easier way of doing it?( i mean, a way that wouldn't be necessary to redo a part on each update)

sorry for the big question ^^

45. sevensails

sevensails

I'm creating an Inherited MeleeCharacter Class! I need to have 3 hit combo Melee Attacks! I have something working!

But I need to make the character move after a bit each Melee Attack. What is the correct way of doing this?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  46. Zehru

Zehru

Hi @sevensails !
    Maybe you should use animation events to trigger a script that would move your character forward( the root game object a.ka parent) ^^

As each of your character combo moves is a different animation(I imagine), it could call a different quantity of movement from the script and also trigger specific sounds or other things that can be useful to you :D
    ( that tip is basically the same that I received here sometime ago by @GTsphere and I think that the idea of using animation events is just amazing, so Thank you Gtsphere :D)

I hope this will help you in something sevensails ^^

sevensails likes this.
  47. reuno

reuno

@Zehru > You got it right. Adding a new ability, that probably extends CharacterHandleWeapon (instead of duplicating it, as a lot will be common I guess) and binding it to a new input, will do the job. That's how I'd do it. If you put your script in a different folder than the CorgiEngine, you won't lose anything when updating. Except maybe the input setting if you create a new one, but that's easily setup again if needed.
    @sevensails > as @Zehru said, animation events seem like the way to go here. Probably the most simple way to do it.

Zehru likes this.
  48. matteo-piccioni

matteo-piccioni

Hello reuno,
    is planned to have a more complex dialog system ?
    For example a tree of questions and answers that can lead the player to a level rather than one other
    or simply to create a funny interactivity like monkey island dueling insults :)
    Thanks

Xain likes this.
  49. reuno

reuno

@matteo-piccioni > I'd love to add one! I really like creating such systems.
    That said, it's quite low priority right now, I try to add features that are common to most platformers first.
    But it just went up a little bit thanks to you :)

matteo-piccioni likes this.
  50. thaibinh86

thaibinh86

reuno likes this.