Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. reuno

reuno

@GTsphere > You're welcome :)
    @Mighty183 > That StateMachine.cs class has been removed in 3.1 (it's actually replaced by a MMStateMachine class). When you update the asset, I think it's safer to just remove the old version and import, as it doesn't get rid of outdated files. But you already figured that out :)

2. Riffel

Riffel

Hi Corgi team! I love this asset, just open to see the demos. Is it easy to do a floating character like a fish?
    Best regards.

3. reuno

reuno

@Riffel > that's not something that's built-in, if that's what you're asking. You'll need to implement it yourself.
    Now easy that will be depends on your coding skills :)

4. Riffel

Riffel

I thinking about some gravity attribute (character/world) to set to 0 :D
    Thank you for response

5. reuno

reuno

Riffel > I guess you can indeed reduce a character's gravity, and up its number of jumps to a lot (or infinite), and you'd get something like a floating fish :)

6. Grafos

Grafos

Hi Reuno, I'm very excited to see a new update! However, I was wondering, is there a way to update to the new version without messing up my input and layer settings. I believe the way unity works it does overwrite layers and input and it's always hell with the sorting layers especially, but maybe there is a workaround I'm not aware of?

7. reuno

reuno

@Grafos > I think the "right" way (if there's one) is to backup your project settings, import, and then copy/paste your old project settings into the new one. In any case, make sure you backup your whole project before updating, it takes a few seconds and it sure won't hurt.

8. addz92

addz92

Hi Reuno :)

I've been playing around with the jump and wall jump mechanics and absolutely love them! My query is about the wall jump.
    When wall jumping the player needs to press the jump button then direction after to travel in the opposite direction.
    Is it possible to reverse it? Eg Like in super meat boy. There's a 0.3 second delay/window where you stay clinging to a wall when you press the direction key. This gives enough time to jump to the opposite side before falling off.
    Is this possible and if so, how? 0: - ]
    Thanks!

9. Zehru

Zehru

Hi @reuno.
    Today I did a really dumb thing. Before importing the project, I forgot to make a backup. Then I deleted the Corgi Folder and Updated. However, my prefabs/scripts were all there....
    The good point about it is that, everything that I lost, I know how to do better now, and about the animations, I just discovered about a software that before was not so good, but now it's almost similar to Spine, and I'm using it to create the animations with divided peaces of the character instead of using frame by frame drawings and mesh deformation( just like Spine) to look even better :D
    The software name is DragonBones Pro ( it's free and very similar to Spine at the moment).

reuno likes this.
  10. reuno

reuno

@addz92 > That's not something that's built in right now. I'd suggest extending the current Walljump ability to add that. I guess using a coroutine would be the way to go.
    @Zehru > I don't know that DragonBones but I'll give it a look. Really sorry you lost stuff, but then again, I did say to make backups :) Plus if you know how to do it better, I guess it's all good in the end!

Zehru likes this.
  11. Zehru

Zehru

Yeah, you really said about the backup, but I forgot heheheh. totally my fault, and Yes! I totally agree! it will be a lot better :D

reuno likes this.
  12. NickBalanda

NickBalanda

Hey @reuno !

Where could I edit the code so that my player doesn't respawn with full health? I just want him to respawn with his current health (This would apply only when the player falls. When his health reaches zero I call a GameOver screen)?

Cheers!!

13. reuno

reuno

@NickBalanda > That'd be in the Revive method inside the Health class. You'd want to do that after the Initialization call (which currently resets it to the initial value).

NickBalanda likes this.
  14. NickBalanda

NickBalanda

Thank you!! Got it working :)

reuno likes this.
  15. patryk-michniewicz

patryk-michniewicz

Hi there,

Sorry if this had already been answered and I missed it somewhere, still trying to read through all the pages.

Is there a way to change the initial spawning point of player after I moved to another scene, so it will be moved to the edge of the level from which I have exit the scene?

Not sure if I am explaining it correct. But what I am trying to achieve and failing at it for some time now is that I am having 2 exits from my scenes, 1st on the left side and 2nd on the right. Basically if i will exit from the right one to the next scene and then go back, the player is being spawned at the begning of the scene instead of the place from which it has came.

Would be grateful for any tips on how to get this sorted or if it is possible to set up from within the engine.

16. reuno

reuno

@patryk-michniewicz > What you're after is not something that is included in the engine right now. Surprisingly it wasn't on my todo list, nobody's requested that. I'll add it to a future release, it's a nice feature.
    In the meantime, the basic idea if you want to implement it yourself is this :
    - have more than one starting position objects in your level
    - when leaving a level, store the new starting position you want your character to spawn at when it comes back into a permanent object (such as the game manager, but I'd suggest creating a dedicated "reentry manager".
    - when entering a level, check if the "reentry manager" (need to find a better name for this) contains a starting position for that level. If that's the case, assign it to the level manager. If not, default to the preset starting position.

Note that there are a lot of other ways to do it, but this looks like the easiest one to me.

patryk-michniewicz likes this.
  17. justmekino

justmekino

@reuno Can I ask if when is the release date of the updates/upgrades on the character abilities?
    And also if you could add these abilities on your next release/updates it would be great and helpful for me and your engine as well. :)

-Push/Pull (Mass dependent but button press enabled just like the "Inside" gameplay or maybe you can set the object as automatic push/pull)
    -Climbing on Ropes, Vines or Chains (Physics based, somehow the ropes will react on the Player's applied force/physics just like this "Limbo" gameplay or this "Inside" gameplay)
    -Hang and Climb on the edge of the wall (Just like this "Limbo" gameplay or this "Limbo" gameplay as well)
    -Swim/Dive (Dive and Swim across the top or underneath of the water just like this "Inside" gameplay)

Regards and Thanks for this awesome Engine.

18. reuno

reuno

@justmekino > I don't give release dates. Things come out when they're done :)
    The physics based ones probably won't come, it's a raycast based engine...
    And in general, if you want to replicate Inside, go for physics. It's a heavily physics based game.

19. Zehru

Zehru

Hi @reuno and Hi everyone :D
    I had an idea that maybe can be of some help for those who use Corgi Engine, and can do one activity well, but can't do the other.( for example: a programmer that can't do sound design, or a artworker that can't program)

I would like to ask if you Reuno, can create a forum conversation with the Corgi Engine users( a closed conversation) that would be a place to people help each other with extensions( for example: I can create an extension that would do the character holding more than one weapon, @NeatWolf Could create some kinda of helper for extending slope animations, @Xain could help extending the character selection screen, and so on for every user of the Corgi Engine)

This would make our jobs easier, and we would be starting to make our games better, and help those who dream about working with games fulfiling their dreams :D

but again, this is just an idea, that maybe is bad( and i'm sorry if it is).

Sorry fr bothering :)
    please, give me your opinion guys~ :D

Muppo, Xain and justmekino like this.
  20. reuno

reuno

@Zehru > That's a good idea, I've already plans to do something like that, still figuring out the details. I'll let you know.

Zehru likes this.
  21. Burntaces

Burntaces

Hi @Zehru I think that's a really great idea. I'm sure it would be really helpful for all of us using the Corgi Engine! It would be awesome if @reuno could create a nice online environment for all of us to share/showoff our little Corgie Engine tweaks and modifications. It would probably give me a boost with my C# skills too. ;)

@reuno - I love the new achievements feature in version 3.1 of the Corgi Engine. It was just what I was looking for and I'm really looking forward to using it! Thanks! :D

Zehru and reuno like this.
  22. justmekino

justmekino

This is a great idea!

I'm more into Graphics, Illustrations, UI/UX so I can help in terms of usability and user experience design, but my programming skills is just below average plus I'm just learning Unity just 3 months ago and I need a lot of help in terms of programming. And I think this would help us a lot to build our own dream game!

This is the game I've been currently working.
    test.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Bhanshee00, Zehru, Muppo and 3 others like this.
  23. AduNaph3L

AduNaph3L

Hello !
    I see that you added local multiplayer as well, that's a really great news for me !
    But I don't see anything related to it in your online documentation.
    Have I forgotten something somewhere ? Or is there a tutorial anywhere to begin thinking how I ll do my game ? (I prefer to think a lot before starting a project)

24. reuno

reuno

@AduNaph3L > There's (almost) nothing specific to local multiplayer, that's why there's not much in terms of multiplayer in the documentation. The only specifics are explained on the minimal scene requirements page. Apart from that, all classes are common (and the specific classes work pretty much like the single player ones, except for more characters).
    That's actually what makes the beauty of it :)

AduNaph3L likes this.
  25. AduNaph3L

AduNaph3L

Wow amazing !
    Thanks for your quick reply !

26. reuno

reuno

@AduNaph3L > I also strongly advise you to look at the Hunt demo level, which features a 4 players arena, it's a good example of what you can achieve. You can also build coop levels, stuff like that. It's pretty open :)
    There are less examples than for single player, but again, it's pretty much the same thing, no need to duplicate everything.

AduNaph3L likes this.
  27. AduNaph3L

AduNaph3L

@reuno : ok I'll check them !
    thanks again for your so quick reply, and thanks for this amazing engine, your work never stops to amaze me !
    Keep up the good work, you're the best :)

reuno likes this.
  28. Pan_Likes_Brains

Pan_Likes_Brains

Hey Reuno,

Is the upcoming "Highroad engine" the top-down engine you mentioned?

Thanks!

29. reuno

reuno

@Pan_Likes_Brains > No, that's a racing game engine. The top down engine is coming later this year.

Pan_Likes_Brains likes this.
  30. Pan_Likes_Brains

Pan_Likes_Brains

You're unstoppable!

Please, dominate the market! It's in dire need of good coders!

I'll also second the request I read above for a dedicated forum, it almost felt like that could resemble the "nexus" for Skyrim, where you, Reuno, built the base game, and people learned how to mod/code based on it. Don't underestimate how important your coding structure is for beginners learning to code for game dev.

Kudos.

Zehru and reuno like this.
  31. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

A dedicated skill-sharing forum would be awesome. I only recently sorted a similar thing out on another project and I just supply gfx/animation assistance and get basic coding help on other projects. It can also be a bonus where you have someone code or share a script that everyone can use which then gets expanded upon by other developers.

32. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hey Reuno, just started the 2.x to 3.x update today. Just wondering how I might sort out a HealthBar scaling issue (for the front health that resizes) so that it scales down proportionally instead of right to left. In 2.x I had it working by using the following code in the Update section of the HealthBar.cs...
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ForegroundSprite.localScale = new Vector3(healthPercent,healthPercent,healthPercent);
    Currently in 3.x due to the changes in the HealthBar.cs I am in the ProgressBar.cs and in the UpdateBar I am using...
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ForegroundBar.localScale = new Vector3 (_newPercent, _newPercent, _newPercent);
    I am not sure if this is where I should be looking to achieve what I want to do but it scales down at least - just not in the middle where I would like :)

33. pawelf

pawelf

Hi there,

I bought a few days ago Corgi Engine and it's amazing. But i need help with Health script. I'd like to add the abbilty to play character death animation and also the possibility of subtraction life at regular intervals, for example every 5s. I will be grateful for your help.

34. reuno

reuno

@MudPuppet > I'm not sure I understand the question, but I think you're fine in terms of script. Now what you want to change is on the bar itself, you'll want to change its pivot point position. You should be able to change its scale from the inspector and see it behave as you want. That's how the current demo healthbars work. Part script, part correct pivot point setup.

@pawelf > You don't have to add an ability for the death animation, it's already built in :) From "Any State" in your animator, just add a new transition to your death animation based on the "Alive : false" condition. The Rectangle demo character has an example of that (it's a pretty minimal death animation, but you'll get the idea). As for regular life substraction, that seems easy enough. I'd say the most simple way is to create a new class/component (ideally an ability, see the documentation for that) that will start a coroutine on start, and that coroutine will call the Health.Damage method, then yield for X seconds, etc. (Just one of the many ways you could do it)

35. pawelf

pawelf

Thanks for the answer Reuno, I'll try to do as you wrote.

reuno likes this.
  36. reuno

reuno

Hey all,

Just a quick update to let you know that I'm about to release v3.1.1. It's a minor update (it doesn't include any new major feature), but it improves a lot of stuff (moving elements/platforms are now easier to setup, and with more options, more settings here and there, performance improvements, a few bugfixes). I'm still waiting for a few days in case other bug reports come in. So if you've found something strange, make sure you drop me a line about it :)
    I've also started work on 3.2, which will add some major new stuff, but will come later on.

In other news, I've recently been told about two really cool games that use the Corgi Engine:

The first one is Jungle Adventures :

Which you can get on the App Store or on Google Play.

And Kiobot : Space Adventures

You can also get this one on the App Store and on Google Play.

Make sure you send me a link to your game (complete or not), it's always a blast to see people's projects!

Muppo and Bhanshee00 like this.
  37. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hello Reuno, must have been a late night cause I did look at the pivot points. All fixed now.

Next question.... did the Falling Platform Re-spawning get fixed in 3.1?

38. reuno

reuno

@MudPuppet > Almost didn't see that hidden question :)
    So :
    upload_2017-1-15_10-19-59.png
    Yes.

39. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

I knew I saw something mentioned somewhere but I was going through forum pages to find it. Doh! Hmm it doesn't seem to be working at my end but I will have a fiddle around. I thought I saw something in the docs about it and checkpoints so maybe that's it. I am still on unity 5.4.3 so perhaps that is causing some issues as well(?). I am enjoying all of the new audio slots too. Just wondering if they should have an audio mixer slot as well so that I can control volume levels for different things like player, enemies , items etc. Not a big issue here as I will be utilising an audio plug to handle all sound. Just thought that I would query it.

40. reuno

reuno

@MudPuppet > If you're still on 5.4.3 you can't get the latest version of the Corgi Engine. It requires 5.5. You can double check what version you're running on the start screen or in the readme. So that would explain why the falling platforms are not working for you. The audio mixer is a good idea, I'll look into it! Don't want to overcomplicate things either, but I'll see what I can do.

41. razo84

razo84

Hi Reuno! First - thanks for delivering a great package, been using Corgi over a year now, and I like the direction where it's going.

However, after last update (latest Corgi, Unity 5.5) I have a weird bug with Horizontal Movement with my player.

All animations are played correctly (idle, walk/run to the right, jump, death, dash etc.), except when I try to walk/run to the left, player runs left but model is still facing right and plays those move animations, so it looks kind of like a moonwalk (for better imagination).

I guess it has to do something with this? As I checked my pivots, avatar, animations... everything is fine, it even used to work with same assets before the Animator changed in Corgi (I noticed MMAnimator, is it some kind of overall states manager?).

Code (CSharp):
    1. // If the value of the horizontal axis is positive, the character must face right.
    2.             if (_horizontalMovement>0.1f)
    3.             {
    4.                 _normalizedHorizontalSpeed = _horizontalMovement;
    5.                 if (!_character.IsFacingRight)
    6.                     _character.Flip();
    7.             }      
    8.             // If it's negative, then we're facing left
    9.             else if (_horizontalMovement<-0.1f)
    10.             {
    11.                 _normalizedHorizontalSpeed = _horizontalMovement;
    12.                 if (_character.IsFacingRight)
    13.                     _character.Flip();

Also, could you possibly hint me how to approach Animator now? As all anims are now from AnyState, so how can I for example tweak blending between Jump->Idle or Jump->Run states etc.?

Thanks a lot for your time and dedicated work!

42. razo84

razo84

Okay, found the flipping part in Character component. Will play with this, as it seems that's my problem.

43. cooler150

cooler150

I would like to add an achievements link from my menu page were you can see all your achievements. Is there an example on how to do this anywere ?

Also on the achievements I can see in the inspector where you can add points but not sure what that does.

As you can see the achievement system is very interesting to me but I am finding it rather confusing although it is probably something really simple and I am just missing something.

Thanks for any help on this matter.

44. reuno

reuno

@razo84 > Hard to tell why you get that result without more information (version number, what you changed compared to the demo characters, etc). Send me an email on the support email address if the problem persists. MMAnimator is not new, it's just an interface used to call a few methods. And you don't necessarily have to have all transitions start from AnyState, it's just an example, you can still have the animator setup you want. I'd suggest reading the documentation though, all that is covered pretty extensively in it :)

@cooler150 > There's no full list example so far (it's usually handled by the social API itself, but I could add an example one, why not). The achievements points don't do anything, it's just an example of how you could use it. Have you read the documentation about achievements? It explains all there is to know about them :)

45. cooler150

cooler150

Thanks for the quick reply reuno.

I have looked over the documentation a few times now I can now create a scene and add an achievement display cant get it to correspond to achievments ingame yet if that makes any sense. My codeing is not the greatest and it takes me a while to figure things out.

An example would be great when you get time, thanks again for quick response.

46. reuno

reuno

@cooler150 > There are already examples in the demo scenes (of both how to add a list of achievements, display them, and how to trigger them). I'm not sure I understand the problem :)

47. cooler150

cooler150

yeh im not the best at describing stuff :)

Ok I can see were the display for achievements comes in on the canvas when you get an achievemnt it is displayed within that layout.

The list to add achievements is under Common > Resources > Achievements

Within MMTools is a prefab for the achievement layout.

What I would like to add is an achievements menu were players can look at all the achievements with the unlocked ones and there progress towards unlocking some.

Hehe hope this is a better explanation.

48. reuno

reuno

@cooler150 > "What I would like to add is an achievements menu were players can look at all the achievements with the unlocked ones and there progress towards unlocking some." > That list is not built-in right now (there is no example of it anywhere in the asset). As I told you earlier, I'll add that to the todo list, and it'll come in a future update. It's a good idea :)

49. cooler150

cooler150

Thanks reuno for the quick responses :)

reuno likes this.
  50. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hello Reuno, updated to Unity 5.5 and falling platforms are now fixed with re-spawning. Just trying to revise my Lives/Score/High-Score stuff. I will have to revise my overrides at some point too.

Two quick questions...
    1. In 3.x did you make the points (score) persist across scenes?
    2. Can you suggest anything for making 'pickups' not re-spawn on scene loading? Everything is fine when the player loses a life - just whenever the player enters a new scene and returns to a previous one all of the pickups have reset/re-spawned.