Search Unity

[Released] cInput 2 - Unitys custom inputmanager got improved !

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Roidz99, Apr 4, 2012.

1. joseph_csla

joseph_csla

Hi,

If I want to set the Left Mouse Click as a desired key, it will stutter ONLY if I am over the respective button..This does not happen for your web player.

2. Deozaan

Deozaan

Hi folks,

An update to cInput has been submitted to the Asset Store and the cInput website. If you bought cInput from the Asset Store then the update should be available within 24 (business) hours. If you bought it from the website then the update is available right now.

cInput changes:

v 2.4.4

• Fixed using mouse button as input triggering another call to ChangeKey. (Thanks Joseph)
    • Fixed flickering Axis name in GUI when changing key.
    • Deadzone for axes used as buttons now uses public "deadzone". (Thanks Lexie)
    • Prevented _string2Key Dictionary from being created more than once.

Hi Joseph! I didn't see your post here until just now. Sorry about that! I already replied to your support request via e-mail with a solution, but just FYI this update includes the fix to that "stuttering" problem. Thanks for letting us know about it!

3. joseph_csla

joseph_csla

Excellent! Great product!

4. Karsten

Karsten

171 errors if used with NGUI or other assets that refer to the original input manager :(( i know , its inpossible to have both or maybe a workaround?
    maybe i am doing something wrong idk unfortunaly i cant use it

5. Deozaan

Deozaan

Hi Karsten,

As far as I know, cInput is fully compatible with NGUI and the original (Unity's) Input Manager. Are all of the errors (essentially) the same? If so, what are the errors you're getting? My guess is that you didn't copy the InputManager.asset file into your Project Settings folder, but without more information I really can't tell for sure what's wrong.

6. Darkworth

Darkworth

Does this support key combinations, ie ctrl+1? I have not seen any mention of that and when i tried the web demo it did not allow me to bind a control to a combination like this.

7. Deozaan

Deozaan

Hi Darkworth,

Someone asked the same question on the previous page in this thread:

I hope this helps.

8. Darkworth

Darkworth

OK sorry didn't see that one, thanks!

9. joseph_csla

joseph_csla

Intellisense is not coming up in MonoDevelop! It compiles fine, however. I have only the cInput class and I already overwrote the asset file.

10. Deozaan

Deozaan

Hmm.. I use Visual Studio Express and Intellisense is working fine there. Try restarting MonoDevelop, and if that doesn't work, try selecting Assets -> Sync MonoDevelop Project from the Unity Editor and see if that fixes the problem.

11. joseph_csla

joseph_csla

Having a bit of trouble. How do I save inputs once I select them?

Lets say I have chosen my desired inputs. I close the menu and save all the inputs.

On a side note, was your code revewied/accepted by any professional software engineers?

12. Deozaan

Deozaan

What trouble are you having? cInput automatically saves changes when they're made.

Not that I'm aware of.

13. joseph_csla

joseph_csla

The cInput is not working very well.

What I do is attach cInput to a gameobject in my scene. I removed the DontDestroyOnLoad(). I invoke cInput.ShowMenu(true) and cInput.ShowMenu(false) whenever I need to toggle the menu.

The Setup.cs script is the same as in your initial project and it is producing the actions, primary and secondary fields.

I verifyed that the elements in the Inputs in my Project Settings matches the fields in the setup. When In game the key that I am using to fire and jump (as tests) do not work.

Edit:

It seems that removing:
    Code (csharp):
    2. void Awake() {
    3.      DontDestroyOnLoad(this);
    4. }
    causes problems with your intended functionality, it seems stable now.

However,

**Important**
    Since I am working with a network I need to concatenate the username into the PlayerPrefs, This is so that all users do not have the same keys as the first change/update.

Soluton: It seems that I would need to search for PlayerPrefs.Get and PlayerPrefs.Set throughout cInput and concatenate the clients username.. I really should not have/need to do that..especially from a purchased product.

I have some requests:

1) Please seek professional support and find if including DontDestroyOnLoad on scripts with more than 2000 lines of code causes a performance hit - I imagine that it would.

2) Implement an instance variable to cInput, make it empty and concatenate it to all PlayerPrefs.Get and PlayerPrefs.Set function calls - users working with a network will expect this from your product.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  14. Deozaan

Deozaan

Hi Joseph,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with cInput. I hope I'm able to answer your questions.

cInput automatically creates and attaches itself to a GameObject as needed. If you do this manually, you may be ending up with multiple cInput components on multiple objects. I recommend you let cInput do the work for you, as was intended when we wrote it. If for some reason you do need to make sure cInput is there before you start using it (it automatically creates itself when you try to access it, but there are a few cases where that's not good enough) then just use cInput.Init() to initialize the cInput object and you'll be good to go.

I recommend you use cInput.externalInputs which will give you a string of all the cInput settings. You can then concatenate your client's username to the PlayerPrefs key (for example) and save/load to/from PlayerPrefs with cInput.LoadExternal(). e.g.:

Code (csharp):
    2. // save the cInput settings for user "Bob"
    3. string username = "Bob";
    4. string cInputSettings = cInput.externalInputs;
    5. PlayerPrefs.SetString("cInput" + username, cInputSettings); // save it
    7. // load the settings for the user
    8. cInput.LoadExternal(PlayerPrefs.GetString("cInput" + username));
    Please peruse the reference manual if you haven't already. I may be biased since I wrote it, but I think it is helpful. ;)

We're actually working on something right now that should help with this. Stay tuned! :D

15. joseph_csla

joseph_csla

Hi again,

When I call ResetInputs() outside of cInput all my inputs come up as "None". I need to invoke this if the HasKey returns false.

If I call ResetInputs() within cInput it will work and I will see the keys I set in the Setup.cs file.

Also, when I make a change to a key in Setup.cs it is not saving...

What would you think the problem to be?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  16. Deozaan

Deozaan

What do you mean by calling ResetInputs() inside or outside of cInput? Are you talking about modifying the cInput script itself?

What do you mean by "making a change to a key" and in what way is it not saving?

Can you show me examples of what code you're using with explanations of where the code examples are located (in which files) and what sort of behavior you're seeing as a result?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  17. joseph_csla

joseph_csla

My project compiles the script that this code is on is in Start() (logging statement verified) and:

Your
    Code (csharp):
    1. cInput.SetKey("Whatever",
    for your keys class and its string override has failed to set my keys!!

18. Deozaan

Deozaan

Hi Joseph. I'm confused. I don't see how that compiles. That's not a complete statement. Did your code somehow get mangled when you tried to post it? And I'm sorry but I still don't understand what you're trying to do.

19. Deozaan

Deozaan

Hi folks,

An update to cInput has been submitted to the Asset Store and the cInput website. If you bought cInput from the Asset Store then the update should be available within 24 (business) hours. If you bought it from the website then the update is available right now.

cInput changes:

v 2.4.5

• Fixed inability to use SetKey after cInput object was created. (Thanks Rob)

20. terrykim426

terrykim426

Hi,

I just want to check if this plugin support local multiplayer input? E.g. I have 2 controllers, I will wanna know which controller is sending the key events.

21. scorpiopl

scorpiopl

Upon struggling with the unity default input manager a friend tossed a license to this my way and I gotta say it addresses unity shortcomings in the aspect of managing keys very well Edit: Scratch that. Must have been a cache problem of some sort. Working ok now.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  22. Deozaan

Deozaan

Yes, cInput does indeed support multiple controllers. Try it out for yourself in our Web Demo.

EDIT: Sorry, scorpiopl, I didn't see your post on this new page until after I already replied to terrykim.

I was just testing it out for myself and came to reply with some possible solutions. I'm glad you got that figured out. Thanks for the kind words about cInput. (c:

23. scorpiopl

scorpiopl

No problem. The pleasure is all mine. The manager and the inability to change keys ingame is inexcusable and this addresses this very well. One could be picky and say there is room for improvement but than again one could say that about everything :). Considering that this plugin does something that was supposed be impossible makes this work stunning.

Just don't let it go to your head ;)

Edit: btw. Is there a way to set a dead-zone for an axis as it kinda once comes back to 0.001xxxx and once it drops only to 0.01xxxx (keys not pad/joystic). I know it's possible by code logic but maybe there is a built in way per axis?

24. terrykim426

terrykim426

Thanks for the response! I was hoping for an easier way to know which controller is sending key event.

Currently I'm using the SetKey function to listen to all joysticks and their buttons, so it went overflow with the initial array set in the cInput.cs. Is there a function like "GetJoystickID" or SetKey function to listen to any key for a joystick?

edit:
    I just realised, I should just ask player to press on a specific button, so that I do not have to listen to everything.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  25. Deozaan

Deozaan

Thanks again. We're happy to receive suggestions for improvements, fixes, or additional features. Actually, Roidz and I need it. We've been so surprised at the many different use case scenarios that various developers have wanted or asked about that we'd never even considered. When we "shipped" cInput 2.0 we thought we were releasing a feature-complete product, but since then we have implemented many new features, ranging from good ideas to things that should have been obvious enough to include in the first place. We truly do value feedback.

cInput does not have a way to set the deadzone on an axis by axis basis. There is the deadzone variable which you can set to change the deadzone for all axes in the game. Or alternatively you could just change the the Axis' sensitivity either by passing it in as an optional parameter in SetAxis() or by using SetAxisSensitivity().

Yeah. In cInput you can just (for example) define a key/axis for Player1HorizontalMovement and another one for Player2HorizontalMovement and then let the player configure it however they like. Your players are probably capable enough to configure the keys in a way that works for them. (c:

26. tash

tash

Would there be a way to somewhat reverse GetText()? Instead of getting what key is associated with the action, I would like to use a key to find out what action it is assigned to. Does that make sense?

Basically, I have a controller on screen for the player to see what controls are assigned to each button. For example, if the player changes the 'Fire" key to the left trigger, I now want the left trigger to be labeled "Fire".

I have a feeling im missing something small...

EDIT:

I broke out inputPrimary and inputName (the lazy way) and was able to do a reverse search.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  27. Deozaan

Deozaan

That's an interesting idea, and perhaps an example of one of those things that should have been included with cInput from the beginning but for whatever reason Roidz and I didn't think of it. I'd guess it's because we were thinking mostly about keyboard inputs and not so much about gamepads. Thanks for the idea!

28. scorpiopl

scorpiopl

As far as additional features go you may want to implement keybinding category, key display name and a category sort order of some sort. Sure it can be done by code, just sayin folks might want it as more and more go with more multilayer / cross-genre games. What I did was CatName|Keyname as a keyname string (if I need a display name I'll just do Cat|display|key - might be a pain to call but it will get the job done) and wrote a custom menu with a foreach loop for every category name (the category array being the category sort order). This may not be the most efficient way of doing it but hell... If you wanna run the game 3 or 4 loops of menu items won't kill you.

Just a thought

29. Deozaan

Deozaan

Hi scorpiopl,

Roidz and I discussed this and have decided that adding categories or display names, etc., is somewhat beyond the scope of cInput. If we understood you correctly, what you described does indeed sound useful, but in reality it's more of a GUI choice than a needed feature of cInput. An example of how you could categorize the inputs yourself is just to make the first 10 inputs as your first category, your next 5 inputs in your second category, etc. Then when displaying the GUI you can loop through them in a for loop from 0-9 for category 1, have a divider or however you want to separate your categories in your GUI, then resume the loop from 10-14 for category 2, etc.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

30. scorpiopl

scorpiopl

Good to know they are stored in order of declaration. I kinda missed that. Still... I like to set my axis right after the 2 keys that make it so it has some logical order to it. Anyways, great job guys! It's easy to code manually what I need (in fact already done). As it is cInput is quite flexible and that sure counts.

Just wondering. I'm using a profile manager and I'm gonna be implementing keyboard shortcuts(that apm spam bro..! ^^). That said per profile I'd need to use the default set commends and load from external string once defaults have been set. correct?

31. Deozaan

Deozaan

Yes, that sounds about right. (c:

32. joseph_csla

joseph_csla

Hi again,

I have a lot of patience and your code frustrates me.

My Code below executes upon clicking a button

Code (csharp):
    2. if (GUILayout.Button("Settings")) {
    3.       if (PlayerPrefs.HasKey("cInput" + _userName))
    4.             {
    5.                 Debug.Log(_userName + " exists!");
    6.                 cInput.LoadExternal(PlayerPrefs.GetString("cInput" + _userName));
    7.             }
    8.             else
    9.             {
    10.                 cInput.ResetInputs();
    11.                 Debug.Log(_userName + " does not exist");
    12.             }
    14.                 cInput.ShowMenu(true);
    16.      }
    When cInput.ResetInputs() is called it does not show me the default inputs. But when I click your "Reset to Defaults" button - defined within your cInput : Monobheaviour class in the OnGUI Method ; it does work..

Your code again is very frustrating for me.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  33. Deozaan

Deozaan

Hi Joseph,

I'm sorry--I've been sick all week and my mind still feels kind of like it's in a haze--I don't understand what exactly is the problem you're having. What do you mean when you say it does not show you the default inputs? It's not displaying anything? Or it's displaying something else?

ResetInputs() isn't supposed to display anything. It's just supposed to reset the inputs back to the defaults that you should have defined elsewhere in your scripts. These other scripts should already have executed before the call to ResetInputs() is called, otherwise cInput won't know what defaults to reset to.

By the way, are you aware that you're checking to see if one PlayerPrefs key exists, and if so, loading (potentially) a different PlayerPrefs key altogether?

Line 2 of your example code checks for "cInput" + _userName, and if it exists, you then try to load "cInput" + gm.userName on line 4 (of my slightly reformatted version of your code).

I'm sorry our code is so frustrating for you. It seems that you and I have very different coding styles, as I find your code to be somewhat frustrating and hard to follow, as well. That's why I changed the formatting a little bit in your example code I quoted--just so my brain wouldn't have to strain so hard to figure out the flow of your code.

34. joseph_csla

joseph_csla

Hi again,

In your cInput.MenuWindow(int windowId) there is a button shown as "Close". It invokes cInput.ResetInputs() - which resets the inputs. But if I invoke this function in one my scripts, for example:

Code (csharp):
    2. public class Foo : MonoBehaviour {
    3.     void OnGUI () {
    4.         if (GUILayout.Button("Click Me")) {
    5.              cInput.ResetInputs();
    6.              cInput.ShowMenu(true);
    7.         }
    8.     }
    9. }
    The Input menu will show all the buttons as "None". This tells me that it does not function correctly..

Think ya could help me a out a little? Why does this happen?

35. Deozaan

Deozaan

Hi Joseph,

I'm guessing you meant the button that is labelled as "Reset to defaults" since that is the one which calls ResetInputs(). The "Close" button merely sets _showMenu to false.

Either way, I don't know why ResetInputs isn't working for you. I've done some testing and it doesn't seem to matter when I call ResetInputs(), it just sets them to their default. Are you sure your setup script (the one that defines the defaults) has already run when you're calling ResetInputs()? That's the only reason I can see why this would be breaking.

Another thing to try would be to run cInput.Clear() once. This will erase the PlayerPrefs keys where cInput normally saves its settings. So beware if you for some reason need to keep them! Normally this shouldn't be a problem since your setup script will just recreate them all again. But the idea is that if there are extra settings left over in the PlayerPrefs that shouldn't be in there anymore, this will clear them out and give you a fresh start.

If none of this is helping you, then I think I would need to see an actual example your code in action. I can't reproduce the problem you're reporting based on the information you've given me.

36. Roidz99

Roidz99

Hey Joseph.

I'm sad that you seem to have so much problems with cinput.
    I think our main problem is that we are communicating next to each other, or at least that's what i can understand from the posts.

If you want, can you plan your menu in pseudo code and then give us that pseudo code. I will be happy to provide you with the full code needed to make cinput work.
    Our believe was that cinput was really easy to use (and so many customers said in the past) and it saddens me that this seems not to be the case in your situation.
    So if you could mail us detailed pseudo code with what you need, then we will return that in real code with an explaining how everything works.

I hope this will help.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  37. Can-Baycay

Can-Baycay

Hi,

I've been using cInput for some time now and I would clearly say it made my life easier :). Thanks for that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there is no way to set gravity for axis separately, right? I really need this and I've tried to implement this feature myself. Sending you the implemented version, please check your PM.

Is there any plan to support force feedback? This would be superb and I think this will make cInput a more complete solution as an input system.

38. Deozaan

Deozaan

Hi there,

Sorry about the delayed response. For some reason I never received a notification e-mail that you had posted here. I also didn't receive the notification that you sent me a PM.

You are correct that there currently is no way to set gravity for an axis individually. I'll talk to you more about that as a response to your PM. (c:

As for force feedback, as far as I know, Unity itself does not support force feedback, so we can't support it either. If I'm wrong and Unity does support force feedback, please let me know and then Roidz and I will look into adding it to cInput.

Thanks for your response, and again I'm sorry it took me to long to see this!

39. Can-Baycay

Can-Baycay

It's okay, it could have been ages before we realize notifications are broken :). I have the same problem too.

Unity does not support force feedback but there are workarounds. There were some successful applications with source codes on the forum. A quick search might reveal all of them.

40. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

Just picked up cInput a couple of days ago. Seems to work well so far; hard to complain about $20! I'm still pretty new to Unity and was surprised at how awkward it is dealing with keyboards and gamepads with the vanilla input stuff.

I ran into one particular limitation of cInput pretty quickly though. It'd be great if there was a nice way to allow a multi-keypress for one input and a single key for a second input. An extreme example would be Ctrl + Alt + Shift + F on keyboard, but the second input would be "X button" on a gamepad.

After thinking it over for a bit, it turns out that what I can do in my specific case is simply define a second control as a "modifier" which fits what I'm trying to do very well. (it's a 3D space game with normal thrust and "boost" thrust) But it's not hard to imagine how the lack of flexible multi-key handling could limit how the player wants to configure their game. If the player wants RightShift + Backspace + Num2 for "fire missile" on keyboard and "A" on gamepad, ideally that should be allowed.

41. Deozaan

Deozaan

So apparently the notifications are still broken, I apologize in advance to everyone here if I don't respond in a timely fashion. Some alternate ways to contact Roidz or myself are through the contact form on our website or you can get my attention fairly quickly via Twitter.

I did not know that there were workarounds on this. I'll look more into it and see what options we have for that, but at this point in time I can't make any promises as to whether or not force feedback will be a part of cInput.

This feature has been requested a few times, and each time it is, we usually respond with what you figured out on your own. Just define your own modifier keys and check that they're all pressed. It works. And we thought it was sufficient.

But for some reason when we considered it again just now, we had some new ideas on a way to implement modifier keys into cInput. No promises right now, but we're looking more into it and the prospects seem good.

42. ZePolMaster

ZePolMaster

I have a PS3 controler connected to my PC. I have issues with the D-Pad. The controller D-Pad works well in windows' game controller panel, so that's not the issue. When using the D-Pad in the demo game of cInput, it works fine in the input manager (It says Joy1 Axis9 and 10 +/- in both direction) Yet, in the game, the up button works (and dispatch both up and down) and the down button doesn't (no reaction at all from cInput). Left and Right work as intended. Is this an issue anyone already stumble upon? I already verified the assignations in SetKey (used Keys class).

Thanks for your time.
    Pierre

43. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

Cool! I think that would really round out the feature set.

The way it works now is sufficient, but it is a tad limiting. When I get further along, my game will likely have Next Target and Previous Target options. On a gamepad, maybe I'd default to D-pad left and right for that. But in PC games, it's not uncommon to have something like "T" be Next Target and "Shift-T" be Previous Target. You can see how that doesn't fit so well with the solution of defining a separate modifier.

44. Roidz99

Roidz99

Hey Pierre, that is strange behaviour indeed. We have no knowledge of cInput causing a problem like that.

Can you clarify what you mean with 'the up button works (and dispatch both up and down)' ?
    Do you get any warnings or errors ?

Also try to make sure this is not a unity/driver problem (i doubth it) by setting up your Dpad manually in unity and see if all controlls work then.
    cInput builds on the Input class, so if it works with the Input class it should work with cInput also.

Please keep us informed if you manage to (or not) fix this problem.

45. Roidz99

Roidz99

Deozaan and me are working hard to implement this in cInput. We think we have it almost working as intended and we think this will please a lot of cInput users.

46. ZePolMaster

ZePolMaster

Just to clarify.

In the demo game shipped with cInput: I edit the controls for left and right to my controller D-Pad up and down. This seems to work as the cInput menu shows me Joy1 Axis10+ and Joy1 Axis10- to the controls. Yet when play the game, the input works for the up key (that takes the ship left as I set it in the menu), But not for the down key (that should take the ship right).

In my test app: I use SetKey to set my Up and Down controls to Joy1 Axis10+ and Joy1 Axis10-. I trace the result of cInput.GetButton() with the name of my Up and Down controls. When I hit the up button on my controller, I see the traces for Up then Down appears. When I hit the down button on my controller, I see no trace at all.

I hope my clarification triggered something in your dev memory :) I'm going to test some other thing with my controller driver config and unity to identify the source of the issue more precisely.

Thanks for your time.
    Pierre

47. ZePolMaster

ZePolMaster

Ok, sorry to have bothered you with that. It was a driver issue... which seems to be common with PS3 controllers on PC :)

48. Roidz99

Roidz99

No problem at all Pierre. I'm glad you solved it.

49. Roidz99

Roidz99

We got over the last few months a few people asking us how to download updates when you bought cInput trough our website.
    This is how:

After you bought cInput you retrieved the download link to cInput. This link stays active and will host the future updates.
    So make sure to bookmark this link !!!

If you have lost this link you can retrieve it again by logging into Bytecommerce ,who handles payments directly trough paypal.
    Go here to retrieve your password if you forgot it.
    Your username is most likely the paypal email adress that you used to buy cInput.
    I hope this helps out some people that would like to retrieve updates !

Be sure to do this because we have a big update comming up soon(ish) !

50. Deozaan

Deozaan