Search Unity

[Released] AVPro Video - complete video playback solution

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AndrewRH, Feb 12, 2016.

1. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hmm good question. I don't really know how to detect Windows 10/8.
    What you could do is have a H.265 video with 1 frame, try to play it, wait 1 second and see if the texture frame count increases from 0 to 1. If it doesn't then you can assume there is no H.265 support.

I've emailed you a beta of v1.3.6 with the Metal memory leak fix. Thanks,

2. pao_olea

pao_olea

Hi,

I'm trying create an experience in Gear VR with Unity. For this I want use AVPro Video with the 360 sphere video, but I need activate a few things in a specific time, so, could I have access to the cue point for a video? or, how I could active something? maybe reading the frames? what happens to the performance?.

Thanks.

3. Tom-Goethals

Tom-Goethals

Hi Andrydeen,

We're having some heating issues on an S6 playing 4K video to. One thing that helped a bit is a function in the OVRPlugin to throttle the GPU and CPU. You can switch between the values depending on whether you need the GPU and CPU power at a given moment. So in my menus and in locations where i don't have the mix of geometry and video i lower the settings. Locations in the app where i need the extra horsepower i throttle it up a bit.

Overheating is still an issue but it might help you get a bit more time out of it. Also, i noticed not every S6 is the same. Some have more issues then others.

// low power consumption, heat
    OVRPlugin.cpuLevel = 1;
    OVRPlugin.gpuLevel = 1;
    OVRPlugin.chromatic = false;

// higher power consumption, heat
    OVRPlugin.cpuLevel = 2;
    OVRPlugin.gpuLevel = 3;
    OVRPlugin.chromatic = true;

More information here: https://developer.oculus.com/docume...le-power-overview/#mobile-fixedclocklevel-api

4. Tom-Goethals

Tom-Goethals

We're doing the same thing, here have some code! This should give you something to start from.
    This specific Monobehaviour is used to put a specific texture on a GameObjects Material when a certain time has passed in the media.

Attached Files:

pao_olea likes this.
  5. Tom-Goethals

Tom-Goethals

Thanks for the Beta! Seems to have fixed the issue! I'm only testing on GLES3+2.
    Many thanks again for the awesome support Andrew.

6. GamerPET

GamerPET

What plugin are you using for the 360 sphere video? I also did something like this but I ran into playback issues with the video. The "fixes" for my problems supposed to come in the next patch.

About your second question, I use playmaker to trigger events when I want to do stuff, however I never triggered a video because as I said, it was not playing in real time....

7. mimminito

mimminito

WebGL support would be a great addition. I have seen another pack recently state they are adding support for it. We are not sure which to use yet, but WebGL is something we will need going forward. Would be interesting to hear your thoughts on if you would consider adding it.

8. andrydeen

andrydeen

Thank you AndrewRH, we are using the H.264 compression at the moment and the frame rate of the videos differs. The most common we have is 25 fps videos. Unfortunately since we are planning to use streaming as an option we can't disable the Internet services but surely will test this to see if it has any impact on the performance.

Other than that we will look in to the vsync interval suggestion and get back to you with the results.

Thank you Tom Goethals. We will surely look into your suggestions, this looks interesting. Will get back to you with the results!

By the way we have also noticed that our Samsung S6 devices differ one from another.

9. magglemitch

magglemitch

Hi there - just purchased the asset and am trying to get my head around how to script this.

I'm attempting to play the video from another script, so that when something else is triggered, the video will play. Then on a different trigger the video will stop and rewind.

The plugin is perfect and if I could figure out this I'd be golden.

10. GamerPET

GamerPET

Damn. I just found out today that I can't change the video that is being played using PlayMaker.
    I will have to use 2+ game objects ... so when I want to change the video I have to disable the game object that is playing the video & the game object that has the video and enable a new set of objects.

11. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,

Here is some pseudo code that should get you going:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. MediaPlayer mp;
    3. // Play a video
    4. mp.m_AutoStart = true;
    5. mp.OpenVideoFromFile(MediaPlayer.FileLocation.RelativeToStreamingAssetsFolder, "newvideo.mp4");
    7. // Rewind and pause a video
    8. mp.Rewind(true);

12. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,

I'm not sure how PlayMaker works. Could you explain more about what you have to do? Perhaps we can make a simpler solution. Thanks,

13. magglemitch

magglemitch

Thanks, this helps a little. I'm not able to get this to work right now, will have to find someone with more programming skills.

14. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,

Here is the complete script. You should be able to drag and drop this into your project and use them :)

The first script will play the specified video when enabled:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using RenderHeads.Media.AVProVideo;
    5. public class PlayVideo : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     public MediaPlayer _mediaPlayer;
    8.     public MediaPlayer.FileLocation _fileLocation = MediaPlayer.FileLocation.RelativeToStreamingAssetsFolder;
    9.     public string _fileName;
    11.     void OnEnable()
    12.     {
    13.         if (_mediaPlayer != null)
    14.         {
    15.             _mediaPlayer.m_AutoStart = true;
    16.             _mediaPlayer.OpenVideoFromFile(_fileLocation, _fileName);
    17.         }
    18.     }
    19. }
    The second script will pause and rewind the specified video when enabled:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using RenderHeads.Media.AVProVideo;
    5. public class RewindPauseVideo : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     public MediaPlayer _mediaPlayer;
    9.     void OnEnable()
    10.     {
    11.         _mediaPlayer.Rewind(true);
    12.     }
    13. }
    Hope that helps!

15. magglemitch

magglemitch

Thank you! I've gotten them to play and everything works perfectly in the editor.

When I try and build to an Android phone (s6), the second video doesnt play like it does in the editor, just a black screen.
    Could this be a size issue? Both videos are about 50mb each - however like I said everything works in the editor - only one video not playing on the phone

16. GamerPET

GamerPET

Hello there,

Well let's say that I have a quad that plays a video. It has that Apply to Material script.
    Now let's say that I want to change the video that is playing. I can do this 2 ways.

1. Change the Media field in the "Apply to Material" to another MediaPlayer.
    2. Change the video in the MediaPlayer that is already applied to that "Apply to Material.

Normally when I want to change values, I just drag & drop the component into PlayMaker.
    So let's change the Media from the Apply to Material component. I'm going to drag the Apply To Material component into a new State.

Whenever you drag a component into PlayMaker I have 2 options: GetProperty & SetProperty.

Well I think we need to SetProperty.

It looks like this. The dropdown looks like this:

So... from my guess ... the field that I need to change is _media > MediaPlayer.

Problem is that if I select this:

I can only Store the Object. I tried to first get the Stored Object and then modify the Stored Object itself... but with no success. I might be doing something wrong in PlayMaker but normally in other plugins I am able to modify the values of that field.

Same thing if I want to modify the MediaPlayer component. I was thinking on changing the String of the Video Path to point to a new video:

But again I can only ... Store the string. So I decided to store the string and then change it in another state to a new string that will point to a new mp4 file. No success. I mean it did something... because in the editor the

got changed... to nothing (not to my string).

So this is how you do stuff in PlayMaker.

BTW. I'm on Unity 5.4 Beta & a new PlayMaker version. In the past everything was done the way I mentioned. however dragging other stuff in, I also get something like this... so it might be a playmaker bug? Dunno yet... but I will leave the images here & the process for a better understanding on how stuff work in playmaker!

EDIT: Yes this is a bug in playmaker right now. Set Property is basically like Get Property. It will be fixed soon.

So with the playmaker fix in place it looks like this:

So yea... it works now :D

Cheers!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  17. infinite360VR

infinite360VR

Hi,
    We have recently bought AVPro Video Android. It is working lovely so far. Just want to know if there is any way, we can stream/play 360 videos from YouTube.

Thanks,

18. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

AVPro Video does support streaming over HTTP (eg streaming an MP4 file from the internet) but YouTube doesn't easily expose the URL of it's video files. There are some tricks people use to get these streams but our plugin doesn't include these. I believe these are against the YouTube license terms anyway. In theory though if you use one of the methods to get the URL of the MP4 files on YouTube and supply them then it will play them.

19. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Thanks for the excellent explaination (and glad to hear it's working for you now). We will go through this and see if there is a way to improve playmaker support in the future.

Thanks,

20. Valon

Valon

Hello Andrew,

I am testing your asset right now because I have to do an app with 4k top-bottom videos (60 fps) on it and it seems to be the best solution.

I am using the 360 sphere demo scene.

It is working fine when it comes to performances but I have a problem with the visuals. It looks like the top bottom is not done correctly because in the GearVR (with Android) it gets blurry and incomfortable, like something went wrong and it's not exactly the same thing for both eyes. I tried it with multiple top bottom videos coming from different sources and specs and I have it all the time. I also did the debug but it doesn't show any problem that I can see.

Is there some specific defintion for the image needed to be rendered properly (since there is multiple 4k definitions)? Or do you have any idea about something I might have done wrong to get these results?

Could it be simply the watermark messing up with the actual video? (I am still on the demo version)

I am not a video expert so I hope it's clear enough for you.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  21. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi All,

We're currently in the process of releasing AVPro Video v1.3.6 to the Asset Store! It should be up there in a few hours.

Thanks,

22. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Valon,

Try upgrading to v1.3.6 when it is released in a few hours :)
    If you're still having trouble after that then please let me know.

Thanks,

23. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi All,

AVPro Video v1.3.6 has been released!!

Changes include:
    • Version 1.3.6 - 27 June 2016
      • General
        • Added (BETA) support for Universal Windows Platform 10 and Windows Phone 8.1

• Added (BETA) support for Time.timeScale and Time.captureFramerate allowing video playback to work properly with video capture systems that alter Unity time

• Added ExtractFrame function to MediaPlayer

• Added Extract Frames demo scene

• Added SeekFast function which will try to seek to keyframes only so it’s less accurate but faster. On unsupported platforms it will just do a normal seek operation

• Added functions to change the playback rate. Note that the behaviour of this varies between platforms and is not available yet on Android

• General API improvements, platform overrides system improved

• Fixed bug where disabled gameObject would cause rendering to stop

• Fixed bug where destroying MediaPlayer while uGUI component is using it could cause a crash

• Fixed rare bug where uGUI component would become offset or hidden

• Fixed rare bug where m_events would be null
      • VR
        • Fixed VR sphere shader coordinates on some platforms, especially cardboard

• Added “Media Properties” section to MediaPlayer where you can define the stereo packing of a video. This then automatically adjust the sphere shader to render the video correctly per eye

• Fixed bug in InsideSphere shader where stereo rendering would flip the eyes at some angles

• Added support for Unity 5.4 “Single-Pass Stereo Rendering” to 360 InsideSphere shader

• Added new VR sample with “cubemap 3x2” (facebook layout) support
      • Workflow
        • Added button in preview panel to save frame to PNG

• Added persistent option to preserve the media player between level loads

• Added multi-object MediaPlayer component editing support

• Texture properties (wrap mode, filtering) can be set via Media Properties panel

• Debug GUI now shows preview of video
      • Android
        • Fixed bug where no visuals would appear when old devices

• Switched from AAR to JAR/SO files to improve Unity 4 compatibility

• Added x86 support

• Fixed bug where Pausing a stopped video would lock it up
      • OS X / iOS / tvOS
        • Large performance boost on iOS and tvOS (removed texture copy)

• Streaming video buffering stalls now recover and IsBuffering function added

• Seek accuracy improved

• Looping handled better to reduce seam time

• Fixed texture memory leak in Metal rendering path

• Fixed mute not working with autoStart
      • Windows
        • DirectShow video playback smoother

• Fixed DirectShow support for showing images or videos with zero duration

• Added platform-override option to force DirectShow player

• Added platform-override option to force audio output device. This is useful for VR hardware that has its own audio device.

• Fixed poster frame not displaying

• Fixed videos not displaying due to empty RGB32 alpha channel

• Fixed D3D9 lost device issue

• Fixed D3D9 issue of texture not being released

• Fixed DirectShow player time displaying NaN sometimes at the end of video

• Fixed crash bug if you closed Unity with video was playing

• Fixed Windows N edition crash

Thanks to everyone who submitted bug reports and feature suggestions.
    We're now working hard on v1.4.0 which we plan to release within 2 weeks.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  24. magglemitch

magglemitch

Hey I'm having a problem on Android where it will play fine on Unity through the editor, but when built to an S6, the videos are showing up as a blank white texture (still sound though)

25. Valon

Valon

Hello Andrew,

After testing v1.3.6 as you asked I still have a problem even tho it's not the same.

Before, right in front of the camera starting rotation it was, like I said before, blurry/uncomfortable and everywhere else was better. Now I don't have the blurry/uncomfortable bug but instead the video jumps, kinda like it switches the video position and it's right at the same place as the old bug.

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks!

26. GamerPET

GamerPET

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: HELL YEA!

27. lumeneo

lumeneo

Testing the full version purchased moments ago...
    - When too many videos are added, some flicker, when I add and remove and add videos I get a total meltdown. Please check out the following screen shot.

upload_2016-6-28_6-15-9.png

My specs: Mac OS X 10.11.5 w/ Unity 5.3.5p4 with AVPro Video 1.3.6 on an iMac Retina running the "multiple" scene in the Editor and standalone.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  28. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,
    Could you give some more details, such as:
    1) Which version of AVPro Video are you using?
    2) Whcih version of Unity are you using?
    3) What is the format and resolution of your video?
    4) Do the scenes / sample videos that come with AVPro Video work on your S6?

Thanks,

29. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,
    This isn't something we've heard of before. I presume it works properly when you use our sample video?
    Have you tried changing your video to 30fps to see if that makes a difference? (it may be that the device is struggling with 60fps video).
    Is it possible to screenshot/capture the blurry/jumpy visual you're getting? We have a Gear VR here with S6 so perhaps you could email unitysupport@renderheads.com with the video so we can test it ourselves?

Thanks,

30. Valon

Valon

Hi, thanks for the help.

I've sent a mail with the video to the support.

31. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

How many videos did you spawn? :)

Also which Retina model do you have? Some have discrete GPU's while older ones have only integrated Intel GPUs.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  32. JasonScott1990

JasonScott1990

Hello, I got problem, when i transformed my program to fullscreen mode, or resized the window's size, it will always shows an error like this: 1.png 2.png , any idea or solution for handle this? need an ASAP solution . thanks a lot. (with Unity 5.3.5f1.64bit, windows xp & windows 7)

33. GamerPET

GamerPET

With this new version we decided to try a transparent video.

The file is MOV, it uses that... strange codec... and it works fine! YAY!
    I use the video as Apply to Material. Problem is that before the video shows up I see the UI Material Color for like 0.5 seconds... which creates a flicker and looks bad.

Any idea how to also make the material itself transparent or make it not be visibile?

Thanks

34. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hmmm
    Are you sure this bug is related to AVPro Video? What happens if you remove AVPro Video from your scene? Which versoin of AVPro Video are you using? Which graphics api is it using (OpenGL/D3D9/D3D11)?
    Thanks,

35. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

If you assign the 'default texture' slot a texture that is transparent then that should solve it :)

Glad to hear that the transparent video is working nicely!

Thanks,

36. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi All,

I know it's only been a few days since the massive 1.3.6 release but we found a few bugs and decided they were worth fixing and making another release.

So AVPro Video v1.3.8 is now out!

Don't forget you can get the free trial version from our website.

Definitely worth grabbing if you're playing stereo VR videos or using the UWP platform, Microsoft Hololens and playing Hap videos.

Changes include:
    • Bug fixes:
      • Fixed stereo VR script broken in v1.3.6

• Fixed issues with UWP and Hololens support

• Fixed Windows DirectShow issue preventing Hap videos playing when another source filter is installed

• Fixed Windows DirectShow bug in watermark for Hap videos
    • Workflow:
      • Improved recent file list to be sorted by when the files were last used
    Thanks,

37. GamerPET

GamerPET

It seems that that flash only happens in the editor... even with a transparent texture.

38. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

I think there is an option on the component called "show in editor"? Might be that....

39. GamerPET

GamerPET

Ah. I just figured it out... I placed the transparent texture on the material, but I just noticed that Apply to Material script has a "Default Texture". Now it seems to be fine :p

Any idea how to make my Quad (this quad has the video) not to be affected by the lighting? I tried to give it an Emission 1 to the material but I didn't had time to test it yet. Maybe you have a better idea in the meantime.

40. bdovaz

bdovaz

I second that.

It's the only major platform that it's missing this asset.

Now we need to use another asset with another API.

41. YunJian

YunJian

Hi,
    I have a problem here, when I Open and AutoStart steaming video or Play and Pause the video on Android device,I got an exception.Please help me, thank you.

Attached Files:

42. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,
    Did you get my email?

I have a few questions:

1) Which version of AVPro Video are you using?
    2) Which version of Unity are you using?
    3) Which Android device and OS version are you using?
    4) Do any of the other samples scenes work?

Thanks,

43. jortegano

jortegano

Hi, I've been using AVProWindowsMedia on my application for some time now.

I would like to migrate to AVProVideo in order to have video playback on OSX but my app heavily depends on the NGUI texture video mapping feature included on AVProWindowsMedia. Is this feature available on AVProVideo?

Thanks.

44. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,

Here is a script that will allow you to use AVPro Video with NGUI. To use it simply create an NGUI Texture widget and then create this component and set it up to point to the MediaPlayer and NGUI Texture. When the video appears it will display the video texture on the NGUI Texture widget. We will add this script into the next version.

Hope that helps!

// DisplayNGUI.cs
    Code (CSharp):
    2. #define NGUI
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using System.Collections;
    6. //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    7. // Copyright 2015-2016 RenderHeads Ltd.  All rights reserverd.
    8. //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    10. #if NGUI
    11. namespace RenderHeads.Media.AVProVideo
    12. {
    13.     [AddComponentMenu("AVPro Video/Display NGUI")]
    14.     public class DisplayNGUI : MonoBehaviour
    15.     {
    16.         public UITexture _uiTexture;
    17.         public MediaPlayer _mediaPlayer;
    18.         public Texture2D _defaultTexture;
    19.         [SerializeField] bool _makePixelPerfect = false;
    21.         void Update()
    22.         {
    23.             if (_mediaPlayer != null)
    24.             {
    25.                 if (_mediaPlayer.TextureProducer != null)
    26.                 {
    27.                     Texture texture = _mediaPlayer.TextureProducer.GetTexture();
    28.                     if (texture != null)
    29.                     {
    30.                         if (_mediaPlayer.TextureProducer.RequiresVerticalFlip())
    31.                         {
    32.                             _uiTexture.flip = UITexture.Flip.Vertically;
    33.                         }
    35.                         _uiTexture.mainTexture = texture;
    36.                     }
    37.                 }
    38.             }
    39.             else
    40.             {  
    41.                 _uiTexture.mainTexture = _defaultTexture;
    42.             }
    44.             if (_makePixelPerfect)
    45.             {
    46.                 // TODO: set video texture filtering mode to POINT
    47.                 _uiTexture.MakePixelPerfect();
    48.             }
    49.         }
    51.         public void OnDisable()
    52.         {
    53.         }
    55.         void OnDestroy()
    56.         {
    57.             _uiTexture.mainTexture = _defaultTexture;
    58.         }
    59.     }
    60. }
    61. #endif

45. YunJian

YunJian

1)AVPro Video 1.3.8 Download at Assets Store.
    2)Unity 5.3.4f1(32-bit).
    3)Minimum API Level Android 4.1,Running at 4.3 and 4.4 Android device,we tried win10,win7 and Mac.
    4)I tried BackgroundShader,imGui,Mapping3D,VideoControls, and running at a new Unity project that it's not working too.

I don't have time to do all the tests, but it's working at iOS.Thanks for your help.

46. Nico20003

Nico20003

Hi I am using the trial version. and when I try the build on android I get a blank screen. I am using a galaxy s4 for testing

47. wthierry

wthierry

Just trying this out. Seems to be what we need, but I think my left/right eyes are swapped, and the 3d effect is bad. Is there a way to change this? thanks in advance

48. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi, thanks for reporting this. Could you give us more details, eg:

- which version of Android?
    - which phone device?
    - which version of AVPro Video?
    - which version of Unity are you using?

Thanks,

49. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,

You can check if the left/right eyes are swapped by enabling the 'debug tint' option inside the "Media Properties" panel. This should colour the left eye green and the right eye red. If this isn't correct then please let me know more about your setup. Eg:

- Which version of AVPro Video you're using
    - Which version of Unity you're using?
    - Which device (and OS version) you're testing the VR on

Thanks,

50. lloydg

lloydg

Hi,

We are thinking of purchasing this and are trying the trial at the moment but are having some issues.

Playing an uGUI video on android, the MediaPlayer.Stop() and MediaPlayer.Pause() methods do not work (nothing happens and the video does not stop or pause) when running on the android device, however they work fine in the editor.

In the ADB logcat we get the following exception when Play() is called (no exceptions are logged when Stop or Pause is called however.)

I/Unity (20122): AndroidJavaException: java.lang.RuntimeException: failure code: -1008
    I/Unity (20122): java.lang.RuntimeException: failure code: -1008
    I/Unity (20122): at android.media.MediaPlayer.invoke(MediaPlayer.java:744)
    I/Unity (20122): at android.media.MediaPlayer.selectOrDeselectInbandTrack(MediaPlayer.java:3178)
    I/Unity (20122): at android.media.MediaPlayer.selectOrDeselectTrack(MediaPlayer.java:3167)
    I/Unity (20122): at android.media.MediaPlayer.selectTrack(MediaPlayer.java:3106)
    I/Unity (20122): at com.RenderHeads.AVProVideo.AVProMobileVideo._play(AVProMobileVideo.java:838)
    I/Unity (20122): at com.RenderHeads.AVProVideo.AVProMobileVideo.UpdateCommandQueue(AVProMobileVideo.java:1006)
    I/Unity (20122): at com.RenderHeads.AVProVideo.AVProMobileVideo.AddVideoCommandInt(AVProMobileVideo.java:898)
    I/Unity (20122): at com.RenderHeads.AVProVideo.AVProMobileVideo.Play(AVProMobileVideo.java:780)
    I/Unity (20122): at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer.nativeRender(Native Method)
    I/Unity (20122): at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer.a(Unknown Source)
    I/Unity (20122): at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer$b$1.handleMessage(Unknown Source)
    I/Unity (20122): at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:98)
    I/Unity (20122): at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.
    This is tested using Unity 5.3.5p7 and 5.4.0b24 on a Samsung s5 running Android 5.0.

Any help regarding the issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Lloyd