Search Unity

[Released] AVPro Movie Capture

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AndrewRH, Jan 24, 2012.

1. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Version 2.55 released!

Changes include:
    • Unity 4.5 support
    • Support for recording audio from Unity beyond just stereo (5.1, 7.1 etc)
    • Better recording stats displayed
    • Improved error handling
    • Improved vsync handling

2. Omidja

Omidja

hi
    i used it but reduces my game frame rate!
    how i change sittings to have best frame rate in game?!my quality video isnt important but my game speed is important!

3. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

True, if you try to capture a 30fps video it will try to run the game at 30fps to get the smoothest capture. We will add an option in the next release to allow the game to fast as possible for those less interested in getting the smoothest capture. Thanks for the feedback.

4. braiam

braiam

Hey Andrew. Thanks for this great plugin and all the follow ups in this thread. I have two topics to cover: 1. Build for OSX Broken, and 2. Blank device names

1. Build for OSX Broken
    I've a game and I'm building for Win, iOS and OSX. After importing AVPro Movie Capture, The OSX build is broken:

Assets/AVProMovieCapture/DemoScenes/WebcamCaptureDemo.cs(18,17): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `WebCamTexture' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

What do you suggest to keep the AVPro Movie Capture plugin imported in the project and still being able to build for OSX and iOS?

2. Blank device names
    Also. I'm also experiencing the "blank device names" issue reported in this post (the guy with korean device names)
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/released-avpro-movie-capture.120717/page-3#post-1296656

My windows is in spanish, so the original device names are "Micrófono" and "Mezcla estéreo". Changing the names to "Microfono" or "Microphone" and "Mezcla estereo" or "Stereo mix" causes the device names to be reported properly inside unity.

As I'm trying to detect if there's any Stereo Mix device (in any language) and use it automatically, it'd be great to be able to get the device name even with unicode characters.

Thanks for this great plugin!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  5. 39thstreet

39thstreet

My video is inverted on capture (upside down and reversed). I see someone else had this problem a while ago with no resolution.

What's weird is in a different project in the same version of Unity the capture works fine. Any idea how to address this?

EDIT: Correction: this is happening everywhere for me with the latest version (the one released last week). The previous version of AVPro works fine and does not exhibit this inverted video problem (using latest version of Unity). I've rolled back for now.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  6. jdonzet

jdonzet

Hi Andrew!
    I'm playing with the demo version of your useful plugin. In general it works very well, Congratulations!.
    However, there are three things that don't work.

1) Running the player in batchmode (using the command line argument -batchmode) doesn't not fill the file with proper data (just 127 kb when at least 10 mb is expected), the video player can't play the output video file.

2) I wrote a little mono behaviour script wich in the Start() function starts the video capture. The problem is that it doesn't work. I found a workaround using Invoke with a little delay.

3) When making a 64 bit build, the plugin can't find the x264 VFW video encoder in its 64 bit version. I would like to be able to encode using the advantages of a 64 bit cpu.

I hope you can help me.

Many thanks.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  7. Omidja

Omidja

oh!i capture my game in 30 sec ,its 1.5 GB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Why?my resolation500*600!

8. braiam

braiam

Omidja. Read the docs ;)
    Hint for file size: search for the codec parts
    Hint for the resolution: search for the downscale parts

Omidja likes this.
  9. proso

proso

Hi, I'm still very happy with this plugin and support! Now I'm in need of a multi platform solution. Do you have plans to make that? Or do you know a good plugin for movie capture for mac and webplayer?

10. pentacle703

pentacle703

Hi,
    I'm very interested in this plugin, since it look really awesome, and do exactly what I want. (i've tested it and it was really cool)
    But I would like to know what is the license applied to the plugin and what are the condition of use?

11. jforder

jforder

Hi there,

I'm currently using this plugin for a project and I'm getting extremely low frame rate out of it. I'm also using AVPRO Windows Media player and that is running fine but when I enable recording (Capture) the frame rate just dies to about 2fps (It runs at 120fps + before enabling Capture).

I'm using the captureFromCamera script because I need to capture the video output of a Kinect v2 in the background. So I have the main scene displaying video content and then another camera on a lower depth capturing the Kinect video output (which is on a texture).

I read that the scene capture script is faster but unfortunately I need to capture it in the background.

Are there any settings that I may have missed? Or is it that the cameraCapture script is just pretty slow?

Really liking the product but need some help fixing this issue.

Thanks in advance.

12. sam598

sam598

Awesome plugin, but two questions.

1) Any updates on using directshow codecs with windows 64-bit builds? It seems I can only record Lagarith videos using a 32-bit build. Also wouldn't that mean the Lagarith codec isn't using multithreading.

2) Is it possible to record alpha data from a RGBA texture source, or is it camera source only?

Thanks!

13. sam598

sam598

Does anyone have a good list of codecs compatible with 64bit Windows Builds? Right now the only codecs I have access to are Uncompressed, DV and MJPEG.

Thanks!

14. Vern_Shurtz

Vern_Shurtz

Just purchased this asset and I keep getting the "AVPro Movie Capture - Installation" Pop-up even though the DLL's are in the Assets/plugins folder. If I install in a fresh project it seems to work fine. The only other things in the Plugin folder are for an asset called TrueSky. Could there be a conflict here?

Edit: I moved the TrueSky plugins out of that folder and AVPro is working.....

Edit 2: Moving the TrusSky assets back into plugins after seems to work just fine also. Weird.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  15. Swinguru_FX

Swinguru_FX

We're using your AV Pro Movie Unity Plugin for software, and we just encountered a bug with the downscale option in CaptureFromScene.

We didn't notice it immediately, so I can't say which version it appeared in first.

However, in 2.52 it seems OK, while il 2.551, when one tries to use the HALF downscale option, the video width and height are both halved, but the texture the plugin captures is not, resulting in a video displaying only the top left quarter of the screen...

Same behaviour using capture drived by code, or with In-Editor "Start Recording" button.

16. Alex_Zurich

Alex_Zurich

Hello,

I have got the exact same issue as above. The down-scale option doesn't work. Instead of down scaling, it cuts the recording to a smaller area of the screen as describe previously. I'm using the CaptureFromScene function.

I really need this function to work as I need to capture a part of the screen (1080*1080) with some GUI Textures. But I would like to get a movie in 512*512 for instance.

For the rest, the plugin works like a charm.

Cheers,
    Alex.

17. proso

proso

Hi, my scene got a sort of blue when capturing. Is this a bug? or can I do something about it?

18. insiderrr

insiderrr

looks like a promising plugin. Before i worked with fraps, but this looks like it has some better performance. After installing this plugin it said that it could not open the video capture.dll in the plugin map.

This is strange, the plugin is vissible, maybe it is because it is in the same map of my oculus plugins.

Any idea how to get this to work ?

19. ocuvox

ocuvox

Hey, trying to get the webcam demo going with no success.
    Is there an option to manually select uvc webcam source?
    Am i missing a step?

20. André Screaming

André Screaming

Hello!

Hey AndrewRH, I would like to ask you something. Is possible to use AVPro Movie Capture with Theora and Vorbis to create a .ogg/.ogv video file? Thank you for the attention, and have a nice day!

21. artrebel9

artrebel9

Hey,
    I tried this demo plugin in unity 4.6 and while it does start to capture video it won't stop (at least from editor). When stopping the record the entire unity will freeze and the captured video is corrupted. This really is a shame as I could really use this.

22. Swinguru_FX

Swinguru_FX

I have to add that Sound Recording does not work anymore with the latest version.
    That in addition to the "cropped" downscaling bug. And still no word from the developers.

I tried to roll back to a previous version, but the image is upside down, and event if I flip it with FFMPEG, it's ok in the Editor, but the recording is completely messy in a Build (textures flickering).

I am being very disappointed with tha plugin, since our recording feature is now useless to our customers.

23. aki-kanerva

aki-kanerva

Howdy! We purchased AVPro some time ago, found it indispensable, but after upgrading to Unity 5 it doesn't work anymore. Is this a known issue?

Opening AVPro brings up the dialog to copy DLLs. Pressing "Yes, copy" causes the following errors appear in the console:

Failed to load 'Assets/Plugins/AVProMovieCapture.dll', expected 64 bit architecture (IMAGE_FILE_MACHINE_AMD64), but was IMAGE_FILE_MACHINE_I386.
    [AVProMovieCapture] Unity couldn't find the plugin DLL, please move the 'Plugins' folder to the root of your project.

I can verify that the files are indeed copied to the root Plugins folder. I've also tried deleting the originals from the AVPro folder, tried placing the plugins inside Plugins/x86 and Plugins/x86_64 respectively, and deleting the x86 version entirely. It doesn't look like a filesystem issue, but rather that the DLL really does fail to initialize.

Running Unity 5.0.0f4 64-bit Editor on Win8.1 64-bit. Everything worked on the same machine with Unity 4.3.

24. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,

In Unity 5 native plugins work slightly differently. You need to go to the inspector of each DLL and assign them a platform. Since you are using the 64-bit editor you need to make sure you assign the 64-bit DLL to the 64-bit platform.

I hope this helps.

25. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

This is due to newer Unity versions switching to DX11 by default. Switching back to DX9 will resolve the issue. We are about to release a new version with this issue fixed for DX11. Thanks,

26. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Windows doesn't come with many 64-bit DirectShow codecs I'm afraid. We will try to improve this as Unity moves to majority 64-bit editors.

27. sam598

sam598

Thanks for the reply Andrew. I understand that there are very few DirectShow codecs available. But do you have a list of working codecs or any suggestions other than those 3?

Looking forward to the plugin update. Thanks again!

28. aki-kanerva

aki-kanerva

Sorry, still doesn't work. This gets rid of the "expected 64 bit architecture" error, but I'm still getting a DllNotFoundException, which means the DLL fails to load.

I tried setting OS to both "Windows" and "Any", both for Editor and Standalone (we only need it to work in the Editor though). I also tried deleting the 32-bit version entirely, as well as having the DLLs in the root of the Plugins folder and inside x86 / x86_64 folders, plus all combinations of these.

29. AndreaP

AndreaP

I found out that's because on editor it always tries to load the 32 bit dll.
    I was able to get it working by replacing some #if in the scripts. Basically every occurrence of
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_64 && !UNITY_EDITOR
    2.     [DllImport("AVProMovieCapture64")]
    3. #else
    4.     [DllImport("AVProMovieCapture")]
    5. #endif
    has to be replaced with
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_64 || UNITY_EDITOR
    2.     [DllImport("AVProMovieCapture64")]
    3. #else
    4.     [DllImport("AVProMovieCapture")]
    5. #endif
    This way it will be forced to load the 64 bit dll.

Note: I am currently testing the trial asset available on RenderHeads website, so maybe it's different in the asset store version. Anyway it's working mostly fine on Unity 5 for me, so I'll probably get the "real" version as soon as the update is out.

30. aki-kanerva

aki-kanerva

Well, that makes sense. And the full version does work with your modifications, so thanks! Although now we're facing the same lack of codecs as others in this thread - looking forward to an improvement on that front too. :)

Editing the source files is probably not a global solution, because the edits need to be made again on every upgrade, and will prevent users of the 32-bit Editor from using AVPro (happily all of our people use the 64-bit version, so for our purposes this workaround is enough).

If there is no UNITY_EDITOR_64 define, then the real solution might get really tricky...

31. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

We will be releasing a new version soon that works much easier with the new 64-bit editors.

Basicaly though you can put the 32-bit DLL into /Assets/Plugins/x86 and the 64-bit DLL into /Assets/Plugins/x86_64 and rename the 64-bit DLL to the same name as the 32-bit DLL (AVProMovieCapture.dll).

Then in the CS file that does all the DllImport, remove all the #if..#else..#endif code and just replace it with [DllImport("AVProMovieCapture")]

For Unity 5 you will also have to select each DLL and assign it a platform in the new native plugin Inspector Window.

I hope that helps for now. We're almost ready with the new release.

AndreaP likes this.
  32. hutao123_

hutao123_

Hello everyone!

I use the Script AVProMovieCaptureFromScene capture movie from my scene, But the video recording color is red, Please look at the pictures I uploaded,On the right is captured movie,I don't know how it happened,I need help!:(

Attached Files:

33. proso

proso

Hi Andrew, how is the update going? Is my bug being solied in the next release? When can we see the fixes?

34. Swinguru_FX

Swinguru_FX

Hi Andrew,

Will the new version fix the Sound Recording bug too ?
    Thank you.

35. ironbelly

ironbelly

Hey Andrew, we have a tight deadline coming up and the project is hinging on issues we are having with this plugin and Unity 5. Can we get an ETA on that update please? Thanks!

36. proso

proso

You better look for an other asset. I'm trying to contact for more than 6 months now, but he's ignoring all my emails....

37. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

New version will be released today - sorry for the delay in responses!

38. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi All,

We've just related a new version of the plugin! Changes include:

+ Unity 4.6 and 5.0 support added
    + DX11 GPU red-blue swap and downscaling (performance improvement)
    + Dropped official Unity 3.x support, minimum version supported is now 4.0
    + Fixed audio recording freeze bug
    + Better plugin folder structure
    + Added experimental writing to ‘named pipes’

Thanks,

AndreaP likes this.
  39. Swinguru_FX

Swinguru_FX

Hi Andrew,

I noticed your reply a few days ago, downloaded the new version and add it to our project.
    I had some troubles managing the Plugins folder (x86 and x86_64), but that put aside, it seems to solve all the issues we had.

We will test and release a new version of our product, and if all goes well, I will edit my comment on the Store.
    Thank you.

40. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

I'm glad it's working better for you now! Thanks,

41. Gamistry

Gamistry

Hey Andrew,

We're looking into getting this, but I noticed the Trial package doesn't work well with Unity 5. On import it needed to convert the API's, and perhaps this is also why at certain points it crashed (when using ffdshow), and no audio is being recorded at all (regardless of the settings). I'm also working on a boot camp Windows 8.1, with a pretty recent Macbook Pro 13" with all latest software versions.

Can you confirm these issues are not found in the full product?

Thanks!

42. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Gamistry,

The trial version is the same as the full version, just with the watermark.

The Unity 5 API conversion is normal and shouldn't cause any problem. This has to happen as we also need to keep the API backwardly compatible with Unity 4.x. There are only a few changes anyway and they are all very minor.

I would personally avoid using ffdshow if possible and instead install the specific codecs you want to use. I can give you more guidance on this if you describe what you're trying to capture. There are also some codec recommendations in the documentation.

Just let me know how I can help further.

Thanks,

43. Gamistry

Gamistry

Any word on the audio issue? I couldn't get any audio to record at all. Perhaps this has something to do with bootcamp.

EDIT: Tried installing some codecs (x264, Lagarith), but they're not showing up for me.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  44. Swinguru_FX

Swinguru_FX

After doing some testing, we found one issue : the plugin works great overall within our application EXCEPT in Windowed Mode.
    In Windowed mode, video recording can mess with rendering textures, like it was doing before the August 2014 update.

45. Dazza007

Dazza007

Bit of a showstopper for me - If I run the plugin in Unity 4.6 - I see 11 installed Codecs
    If I run it in Unity 5 - I only see Uncompressed / DV Video and MJPEG Compressor - it doesn't want to display or let me select any of my other installed codecs

I should point out I am using the older version of the plugin in 4.6 - appears the new one doesnt detect any codecs

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  46. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

I seem to have the same issue. Any solutions?

47. aki-kanerva

aki-kanerva

We need to record 1080p video from the editor, but since all our monitors are only 1920x1200, we can't expand the Game View big enough - it only reaches 1906x1072. Is there a way to record video at a larger resolution than the current Game View?

48. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hey guys, Just to let you know that the issue affecting 64-bit versions of Unity where it doesn't list all the video codecs is almost fixed. We have a working prototype and are just wrapping up final tests before we release it. Thanks for your patience!

AndreaP likes this.
  49. cai_bisabaik

cai_bisabaik

Hi Andrew,

I've been testing the AVPROmoviecapture to record more than 3 webcams to individual avi files simultaneously, but so far i've got nothing. I managed to assign individual webcamtexture to avprocapturefromtexture but i can't assign particular recording to particular recording instance. Is it even possible to capture the webcams and write it down to many AVI files at the same time? (Previously i wrongly posted on AVProLiveCamera)

50. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,

Hmm, yes this should indeed be possible! I've just tested it here by adapting the included demo scene that captured from a webcam and it worked fine.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'but i can't assign particular recording to particular recording instance'?

Perhaps we can update the demo to include multi-camera recording!

Thanks,