Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] 2D+3D Infinite Runner Engine - new v1.6 : Downhill!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 31, 2015.

1. reuno

reuno

I'm very proud to announce the release of the Infinite Runner Engine on the Asset Store.

It's a highly customizable, optimized and easy to use solution that will provide you with everything you need to create your very own endless game. It comes with a bunch of complete game examples, in various gameplay styles (platformer, lane runner, etc...). Completely mobile and other touch devices ready, it's never been this easy to create endless games.

You can check a full list of features, a demo, and more over there.

CREATE YOUR OWN GAME

The idea behind the Infinite Runner Engine is to allow you to create the game you want. With that in mind, it supports both 2D and 3D gameplay, and will give you everything you need to create games with a gameplay ranging from Flappy Bird to Temple Run. You could even use it to create shoot-em-up games, or basically any game where stuff comes at the player.
    • Spawners : at the heart of the engine are spawners, that will allow you to spawn platforms, enemies, bullets, obstacles, buildings, while keeping your game optimized
    • 2D or 3D : a dedicated interface allows you to create both 2D and 3D games (or a mix of both) using the same classes
    • Infinite gameplay options : the engine allows you to implement your own gameplay, by tweaking the spawners and other core objects easily via the inspector.
    The asset comes packed with ready to use assets : character animations, spritesheets, 3D models. Everything you see in the demo or videos is included and ready to use in your game or prototype.

BOOTSTRAP YOUR GAME

While the asset aims at empowering you to create your own gameplay, it includes a lot of ready-to-go classes to handle the most common gameplays encountered in classic endless runner games.

• Run and jump : as you would in the amazing Canabalt, run and jump (and double jump, or more) over holes and obstacles
    • Platforms : spawn platforms of varying sizes, shapes and angles to jump on
    • Enemies : spawn enemies or obstacles that will kill your characters if they touch them
    • Pickable objects : grab coins (or whatever you want) to increase your score!
    • Multiple characters : instead of having one character running endlessly, why not have more ? The engine handles any number of playable characters you want.
    BUILT-IN EXAMPLES

The asset comes packed with examples, so you can see how it all works. You can also expand on these examples to get started even faster.

• Backwards Dragon : have your dragon breathe fire to avoid flying electric sharks. See, you can really create anything you want.
    • Lane Runner : a top down, 3D runner where you have to avoid obstacles coming at you by switching lanes left and right.
    • Flappy Cloud : an homage to the classic Flappy Bird, but this time with a cloud and penguins.
    • Jelly Forest : run through a forest, jumping from platform to platform.
    • Minimal 2D : a very basic, barebone 2D endless runner, where the more you survive, the faster (and harder) the game gets.
    • Minimal 3D : basically the same thing, but in 3D.
    • Multiple Characters : run and jump with not one, but 3 little cubes. Lose em all and you're done.
    • GUI : in game menus, pause, start screen, level selection, instructions, countdown...
    MOBILE FRIENDLY

The whole engine has been thought with mobile as a primary target device, and the asset includes support for touch controls, gamepad and keyboard. You can even try a demo of the asset, available on Google Play.

HANDLES ALL THE HARD WORK

The asset includes tons of classes that will handle all the hard work for you, so you can focus on your own features.
    • Spawners and object pools : spawn anything you want : obstacles, enemies, background stuff, the engine will recycle them for you so your device's memory never gets crammed.
    • Parallax : implement and tweak parallax backgrounds super easily.
    • Camera controller : a super smooth and customizable camera, that does exactly what you want : follow the player, constrain movement on a certain axis, zoom in and out depending on the level's speed, and more!
    • Game Events : trigger events from any class to sync your different objects.

EASY TO USE

Although you'll still need to have basic Unity/C# knowledge to properly use it, the asset aims at simplifying level design.

• In-scene helpers : easily visualize recycle and death lines, managers, spawners, camera bounds, etc...
    • Built to be extended : all the classes included in the asset are meant to be extended, so you can code without wondering if the next asset update will break your project (it won't).
    • Inspector : control the engine via the inspector, so you don't have to dive into code to change the core values of your level/spawner/manager/etc... You can also check what's happening in the inspector as your game runs.
    • Helpers : the asset comes packed with helper classes to help you draw gizmos, debug stuff, schedule object destruction, and more!
    COMPLETE DOCUMENTATION

The asset comes with a complete documentation of all the classes, the entire codebase is commented, and there are already video tutorials available.

You can check a full list of features, a demo, and more over there.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  2. reuno

reuno

-- RESERVED SPACE --

3. josker

josker

I love the video, purchased and will have a good look.

4. meapps

meapps

@reuno is it possible to make an runner from top to the bottom like in downwell?

5. reuno

reuno

@josker > Thanks! Hope you'll like it.
    @meapps > It'd take a few code changes, but yes, you could. Great idea for the next game example btw.

6. meapps

meapps

Great seems you have a sale soon;)

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi,

Kit looks great.

What about the possibility of curves ? for example, tiny wings ( 2D ) / galaxy dash ( 3D ) ?

Also, are you planning on implementing turns ? i.e. the ability to go left or right at the end of a corridor, like in temple run ( it's not just a straight run ) ?

Regards

8. reuno

reuno

@playmint > Curves are on my todo list, and should come within the next 2 updates.
    Not sure about turns yet, seems pretty specific, but I'll think about it.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Cool, glad to hear.

I wouldn't have thought turns to be quite specific though, they are in most of the top 3d runner games !? But, if I'm in the minority here, that's fine ! ;)

Regards

10. reuno

reuno

Update 1.0.1 is now live !
    It fixes a few minor bugs and adds a namespace to all classes.
    So from now on if you want to use any of the asset's classes from another package/class, you just have to add this at the start of each class :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using MoreMountains.InfiniteRunnerEngine;
    Let me know what you'd like in the coming updates!

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well, I'd like to reiterate your current list in the order I'd like them :p

Highscore save system
    In-game shop
    Achievements
    More demo levels

And

Character Select ( ties in with In-game shop )

Curves, in both 2D and 3D for games like Ski Safari or Skiing Fred, or Star Skater.

Left / Right movement, so I can give the player pathway choices in a 3d runner

Left / Right movement, as in Cliffy Run

Enemies, that I can interact with, shoot, hit with a sword, etc

Obstacle variation Movements, not just coming at you, sideways movements too, imagine the cars in frogger, you progress up the screen, but the obstacles are coming in from the left and right

Air time, see Fishy Bits, one of my favourite parts is when the player get's air time outside of the underwater environment. Also, when you get huge air time in a game like Tiny Wings.

Interesting player control types, for instance, Flip Hippo, or Power Hover.

Gravity based planets ? for instance, Jump Nuts.

A to B, not always Endless, so that levels can be made up ( and selected ).

I'm sure I have a lot more, but they'll do for now off the top of my head ! :D

josker likes this.
  12. reuno

reuno

@playmint > Thank you! That's a lot of great ideas. I guess I'll get to work then :)

josker and Deleted User like this.
  13. reuno

reuno

Good news everyone!
    I'm almost done with v1.1 of the Infinite Runner Engine!

It's quite a heavy update. Based on the feedback I've received from everyone, I've greatly improved mobile performances, it's now extremely fast, everywhere. I've also greatly improved the object pools and spawners. The possibilities are now virtually limitless.
    I'll post a video detailing all the changes and explaining how to use them. In the meantime, here's a small video of a new demo level I quickly put together to showcase how you can now spawn entire level chunks without affecting performance. I can't wait for you guys to get your hands on this new version, I'm sure you'll like it :) Plus it opens the door to so much fun stuff!

Deleted User likes this.
  14. reuno

reuno

I forgot to mention this : v1.1 will include a bunch of bugfixes for everything that's been mentioned to me since release (minor stuff), but if you've ran into a bug and haven't mentioned it to me yet, now's the time!

15. SimStm

SimStm

Your tools is simply fantastic.

Well, I have a question: I am studying working with multiple assets in a game 2.5D (full 3D scenarios but in platforming style). The game would be basically a not-endless runner (multiple levels with X minutes of endless running with the end after a certain action), with enemies and custom obstacles appearing randomly according to the music rythm (I have another plugin to "read" the music). The player eventually can shoot the enemies if he wants.
    This is just an extra, but the scene probably will use a parallax scrolling effect with the camera...

With all this knowledge, it is better (or easily) to use Infinite Runner or will be better if I use the Corgi Engine, implementing the "infinite running" action to the player and some of the other things on my own?

Thanks!

16. reuno

reuno

@SimStm > That's a very good question, and you're not the first to ask it. It's hard to give a universal answer, as of course it really depends on what game you want to make.

To make things easier, I'll explain the strengths of both engines :
    - The Corgi Engine is really good at platforming. It handles collisions in the same way as (good) platformers do, will be great to create games like Mario, Megaman, Metroid, stuff like that. By default it works with levels built in the editor, platform by platform, and you get a "static" layout, like a Mario level for example.
    - The Infinite Runner Engine, as the name implies, is really good at Infinite/Endless Runner games, where you "run" (or fly or whatever) forever, and "stuff" is spawned at you. It can be enemies, platforms, background clouds or whatever. The great strength of the asset in my opinion resides in the fact that it handles all the hard work for you, optimizing performance, and making it really easy for you to tweak everything.

That said, you could modify the Corgi Engine to handle procedural levels (that's actually a fun idea), or have the Infinite Runner work with pre-built levels (basically all the demo levels start with some pre-built platform, you'd just have to add more and you'd have a static level).

So it's really a matter of how much of each engine would you actually use. If you need moving platforms, AI, tight collisions, then go for the Corgi Engine. If you need random generation, recycling of objects, go for the Infinite Runner Engine.

In your case, and from what you describe, I'd definitely go for the Infinite Runner Engine. You'd have to code the "end of level" part yourself, but you already have a lot of built in methods to detect how much you've "run", how long since you've started, so it should be no trouble, but plugin music data onto random generation would be easier than with the Corgi Engine.

Oh and by the way, I forgot to mention that in my previous post, but I prioritize work on both engines based on the notes both assets get, so if you want faster releases of one or the other, and if you like the assets, don't hesitate to leave a good note/review on the Asset Store :)

jprocha101 likes this.
  17. SimStm

SimStm

Thanks @reuno, I opted to try the Infinite Runner and for what I've seen for now, looks what I want.

But I have a question. I've tried to put a prefab (empty GameObject with some objects inside) of a building in my scene, but the code uses the Mesh Renderer bounds attribute to define the size and where should be spawned the object, so it gives me an error when I try to use a prefab instead of a model with a Mesh Renderer.

Is there a "detour" to use prefabs instead of a model with Mesh Renderer?
    (btw, I thought about use the "model base" as a primary GameObject and the other objects inside of him, but I really don't know how this will work)

Another thing, I changed the "Distance Spawner" Z-Axis (from Minimal3D scene) but the first object from Spawner is always starting at Z-Axis zero, and the other objects spawning correctly. Is there a way to fix that?

Thanks.

18. reuno

reuno

@SimStm > No, right now there's no "detour". But don't worry, that's the main thing I improved in v1.1. Now you'll be able to have empty top level objects, everything is much more customizable. As a workaround, you can use a transparent renderer on the top level of your object, but yeah, next version will be much more convenient on that particular point. Same thing for your second question, it's fixed in 1.1. I plan on submitting it this weekend, next week max, so hopefully you won't have to wait too long.

19. reuno

reuno

@SimStm > If you really can't wait and want to try a not completely finished update, just send me an email with your invoice number on the support email address and I'll give you access to it. But be aware that there may still be a few quirks here and there.

20. SimStm

SimStm

Thanks!
    I'm gonna wait for the finished update then. Meanwhile I will do more tests of another things (like enemies, etc) and learn more about the tool. :)

21. reuno

reuno

Good news everyone, I've just submitted v1.1 to the Asset Store.
    It's quite a big release, with a new complete game included, new features like highscore and loading manager, and a lot of cool improvements on spawners.

I've made a video tutorial showcasing all the new stuff.

The update should be available for download within a few days. I'll post the complete change log when it's live. In the meantime, you can give a try to Sky Theory over at the Google Play Store :
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.moremountains.skytheory
    It's completely made within 2 days using the Infinite Runner Engine, and its whole code will be available in the update (along with all the new stuff).

I hope you'll like that new version!

22. reuno

reuno

The update is now live on the Asset Store, you should all be able to get it now.
    Here's a full changelog, I hope you'll like the new features, let me know if you have questions :)

v1.1 Changelog
    - Greatly improves spawners. You can now spawn stuff in any direction, allowing for more varied gameplays
    - Adds linked spawned objects
    - Adds a new complete demo level : the Sky Theory, complete with new visual assets and dedicated scripts
    - Adds an animated scene loading manager
    - Adds new types of coins
    - Adds new pickable object : Speed Change
    - Adds a much better inspector and editor gizmos to spawners
    - Adds optional initial delay to spawners
    - Adds on/off switch to spawners
    - Adds better, raycast based ground detection for playable character
    - Improves recycling and death bounds management, now much easier to setup
    - Adds optional immunity at the start of a level
    - Greatly reduces the weight of all visual assets without losing too much quality, for lighter builds
    - Fixes occurences where movement could become jerky (for lack of a better term)
    - Fixes a bug with the DistanceSpawner first spawn position
    - Adds support for 3D pickable objects
    - Adds splashscreen script
    - Removes LevelManager's dependency on GameManager
    - Adds the MMTools namespace and classes and unifies all helpers and more readable classes
    - Adds a much cleaner folder structure to the project, now sorted by demos

josker and MarcusWatson like this.
  23. myibmaccount

myibmaccount

I purchased this asset and I am interested in working on a 3D infinite runner. I like the demo with the little cube jumping on the spawned platforms. I would like to replace that cube with a character that will jump from platform to platform. as such I would like to integrate animations for that character using the Animator Component (for jumping, landing, running, etc...). I am wondering how easy it would be to integrate various animations based on whether the player is in the air, on the platform, falling, etc...?

24. reuno

reuno

@myibmaccount > That's pretty easy to do. If you look at the JellyForest demo for example, you'll see it already implements an animator, with a jump blendtree and a walk/run animation. The engine includes methods to send information to the animator, in this example it tells it whether the player is in the air or on the ground, if it's starting to jump, its vertical speed, but of course you can extend that to send other informations.

myibmaccount likes this.
  25. karmik

karmik

@reuno
    Ibought the engine recently
    I want to create a shooting/fighting runner with custome animations. Is there any example with this game play. Sorry but I havent explored it yet. I want to work on it after my current project..

If you can create a basic example with this game play it will be very helpful :)

26. reuno

reuno

@karmik > well there's no shooting right now but that's completely doable with the engine of course.
    I may add an example of it in a future update.
    In the meantime, and depending on your actual gameplay, the Sky Theory demo level should be a good foundation to get started.

27. myibmaccount

myibmaccount

Thanks. will take a look at the JellyForest logic.

28. karmik

karmik

Would be very helpfull if you can create a example. Atleast a basic one. Its a popular game style.

29. reuno

reuno

You're right, and I will. The hard part is to know where the endless runner ends and the shoot em up starts :)

karmik likes this.
  30. skyjuju

skyjuju

Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 1.15.09 PM.png

HI,

Like the asset a lot. Performance is really good. I am working on a 3D Endless Runner game and trying to use you existing minimal 3d. When i turn on Jumper Allowed when ground it stills does a 2nd Jump Is this a bug?

Thank you,
    SJ

31. reuno

reuno

@skyjuju > yes, that's a bug, somebody already mentioned it (actually that's the only bug that's been reported on the new version). I'm sorry you ran into it. I've already fixed and was planning on including the fix in the next release (within two weeks ?). If you don't want to wait until then, send me an email along with your invoice number on the support email and I'll send you the modified scripts. This goes for anyone else who ran into this bug too, of course.

32. skyjuju

skyjuju

Thanks for the quick reply. I will send an email with more questions. On the next version can you create a advanced 3D Scene using the dude or similar character with Obstacles that blocks the dude, ramp to walk over it for collecting coins and spikes that kills the dude which is already In there but looking forward for above two options. It has lot of advance techniques and want to use it for my current and future games.

33. reuno

reuno

Well the various demo levels in the asset already includes coins, obstacles and spikes, so I'm not sure if yet another example of that would be useful ?

34. skyjuju

skyjuju

Most of the scenes you have in are 2D not in 3D. That would be helpful in my feeling. I tried to add a ramp type/simple cube pooling object with rigidbody and colliders to Lane Runner it just either passes through ramp/cube sometimes, it runs over the ramp sometimes and not doing the same behaviours always. My feeling all in one 3D scene is a better example for a 3D game.

35. reuno

reuno

Alright, that's a good point. The next one will be full 3D and a mix of all that stuff then.

36. skyjuju

skyjuju

Awesome. Will be waiting for your next version. Thank you :)

37. bendikr

bendikr

Hi, first of all: Great job!

I was wondering if you had any thoughts of how to solve the following problem:
    Lets take the lane runner example:
    I want to make four out of five lanes filled with spikes, not all of them like in the example.
    Or three out of five, or at least two etc. But not all and at least one.

Any idea on how can this be solved?

For a future update I was thinking of maybe having a spawn manager having spawners as child and picking some of them to spawn based on a set of parameters.

38. reuno

reuno

@bendikr > in the case of the Lane Runner example, each lane has its own spawner.
    So if you want to have, for example, lanes 1,2,3 and 5 always filled with spikes, but not 4, just remove the 4th lane spawner.
    If you want to fill them/unfill them at runtime though, to have maybe 1 and 3 filled at the start, then empty, then 4 and 5 filled, you'll need a script that pilots the spawners and activates/desactivates them at runtime, maybe based on score or elapsed time. The asset already includes everything to do that. I'm working on a "ScenarioManager" that will make managing this even easier though, probably included in the next release.

Does that answer your question ?

39. bendikr

bendikr

Yes, it does. I want to fill them randomly at runtime; sometimes four, sometimes 1 etc, so I will try to create a script that does that.

Thanks for the fast reply!

40. reuno

reuno

Good news, you can now get Sky Theory on the App Store : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sky-theory/id1094780926?mt=8

Sky Theory is a game entirely made with the Infinite Runner Engine, and whose complete source and assets are included in the asset. It's also a fun game :)
    And you can still get it on Android over there : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.moremountains.skytheory

And for the record, the reason it took so long to put it on the App Store is that getting a DUNS number to get an Apple Dev account is a real pain. But now I got one!

41. reuno

reuno

This is a bit unrelated but this weekend I took part in the Ludum Dare #35, a really cool gamejam, and created Shapeshifter Biker, a roguelike where you play a (you guessed it) shapeshifter biker who can turn into the various animals he collects, and must escape deadly pickup enemies.

I reused a few parts of the Corgi Engine and the Infinite Runner Engine to do it, mostly spawners to optimize performance and spawn the enemies. I hope you'll like the game! Here's a short video of it :

You can play it here.

dhogan and v_James_v like this.
  42. reuno

reuno

I've just submitted v1.1.1 to the Asset Store.
    It's a minor update that fixes a bug in the minimal3D scene (you could jump forever, no matter the max number of jumps you had specified), and adds an option to reactivate any object on spawn, even if it's nested in another prefab.
    As usual, let me know if you find any issue. I hope you'll like this (small) update!

43. arjunr24724

arjunr24724

Hi

Loving this so far. Minor suggestion. Not sure if its a bug or intended or maybe I haven't figured out the right usage. It seems GUIManager displays the Scene name even if LevelText has been setup.

// set the level name in the GUI
    GUIManager.Instance.SetLevelName(SceneManager.GetActiveScene().name);

The following code allows the GUIManager to display the Level text as the Scene Name only in case it has not been set.

// set the level name in the GUI
    if (GUIManager.Instance.LevelText == null)
    GUIManager.Instance.SetLevelName(SceneManager.GetActiveScene().name);

44. reuno

reuno

@arjunr24724 > No, I don't think that second line will display anything, and the GUIManager works fine in this case (in most cases actually :) )
    See, GUIManager.Instance.LevelText is the GUI Text component used to display the scene's name (which is always defined as this gets directly the name of the scene, and it can't be null).
    The SetLevelName method checks for the existence of that Text component, and if it exists, it fills its text attribute with the scene's name (or whatever string you decide to fill it with).

Basically what your second line does is only call that SetLevelName's method if the GUI Text component doesn't exist (or hasn't been bound to the GUI Manager in the inspector. Thus displaying nothing.

However, if you wish to set your level's name directly in the GUI component, then that second line of code won't call the SetLevelName method, and your text won't be overwritten. Which might be what you were trying to achieve, and in this case it's all fine :)

arjunr24724 likes this.
  45. DPoli

DPoli

Hi,

How is the performance on web builds? Is it at all recommended for WebGL? And how would you do an isometric 2D runner?

Thanks.

46. reuno

reuno

@DPoli > The engine in itself is very low footprint in terms of performance.
    Then performance on WebGL really comes down to generic Unity performance on WebGL.
    In my experience as long as you keep the camera effects / shader stuff pretty low, and don't try to load huge resources (textures and stuff), you're ok.
    As for an isometric 2D runner, well the spawners can spawn anything, in any direction, so this is covered. Then it all depends on your gameplay, there's no generic answer to that.

47. DPoli

DPoli

Thanks for your reply.

And nice work on both products!

48. arjunr24724

arjunr24724

Hi

Seems the MMHelpers class does not allow a UWP10 build. Builds fine after I remove it. Here is what I get:
    upload_2016-5-4_0-46-6.png

49. reuno

reuno

@arjunr24724 > Yup, I recently became aware of that (hadn't tried before). That's because this target seems to have issues with reflection.
    One alternative (until I find a way to fix it) is to simply remove the class. It's part of a series of helper classes I use in most of my projects, and it just so happens it's not used in the Infinite Runner Engine :) So you can just remove it and you should be all clear.

arjunr24724 likes this.
  50. brettboring

brettboring

Hi reuno,
    Will it be possible with the scenario manager you are working on to spawn pooled objects in a specific order?
    If yes then would it be possible to have some type of repeat feature?

eg
    platform1 (repeat x3)
    platform2 (repeat x6) etc..

Instead of
    platform1
    platform1
    platform1
    platform2 etc..

Thanks for the great asset!