Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Ultimate Survival - The Complete Survival Template

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AngryPixelUnity, Nov 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TechSins

TechSins

@Winterbyte312 what is exactly left to do in 0.2? cause it looks finished on trello and you haven't updated trello in nearly a month?

Johns_Art likes this.
  2. RobsonFMaciel

RobsonFMaciel

He adopted the strategy of not talking about the version until the release. Neither Trello is being updated any more.

3. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

Yeh I would be in favour of that strategy.

RobsonFMaciel likes this.
  4. Slimvr

Slimvr

I do not think much people are in favour for that all developers update people , yet he has not shown and valid proof on 0.2 i'm glad that i have not paid for the product yet, cause past months he delay the project and yet he does not want to talk about it , I will the laugh when 0.2 does not hit the store or there more issues.

Sorry messyCoder but he could update everyone at lease every week would be good.

But i understand people pressure him.

5. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

Hi

Yes my reply was a bit tongue in cheek but there is truth to my comment

There is a difference between replying to questions and support vs giving dev updates.
    I can recall over 30 large dev projects on these forums and only very few had regular dev updates to the extent that this asset has.

Unfortunately instead of appreciating that, many on this forum thread feel entitled and have been actually offensive towards the developers of this asset.

Basically the developer has the standard problem that 99% devs have, unable to correctly estimate their work and avoid scope creep.
    Instead of people on this thread understanding and be tolerant to that, people act like there is some evil conspiracy.

It makes me laugh when I read how the people complain speak about their professional experience as some kind of justification to their attitude. However it just highlights the opposite. Anyone with any real professional experience working with different dev teams would already experience and understand this.

That is why projects have product managers and project managers to make sure a product is delivered efficiently. Any project that has problems such as US just highlights the lack of someone in these roles.

As such any development updates would just end up putting more fuel on the fire and bring out the trolls.

Oh and about lack of version control and hardware failure. I have been working over 20 years in technology and know of more than a handful of million dollar companies that still have the same basic mistakes that Winterbyte had.

Anyway, rant over and lesson for any team out there; don't forget to get experienced product and project managers to work in your team.

6. VladimirGameStudio

VladimirGameStudio

First of all I apologize for my English because I translate it with google, Gentlemen we have a great project that these developers are doing, if there are delays but that does not mean that this abandoned, every programmer knows that there are always problems with code or unexpected and But when unity does not do more than change version that delay us more at the time of program, I consider myself a 3D designer and for me this suits me well for my 3D models, we have to wait and have patience as this team of programmers Is doing a great job.

TheMessyCoder likes this.
  7. OkeanixTR

OkeanixTR

0.2 is Full Game than Template. I think it will huge help to asset-flippers and that asset-flippers going to ruin market and ruin everyone life which trying to make good things and really working on it.

I think 0.1 is already good template and completed. You can add animals new items new map new loot types. You can edit loot system or anything. Easy understable.

Johns_Art likes this.
  8. C0rt3x

C0rt3x

Hello,
    I just want to say good work @Winterbyte312, actually between the beginning of the project and today you're late (Okay May was announced at first on trello for the 0.2), but is not worth a delay can be a v0.2 that works well.

Thank you for your work on this project and continue like this.

9. VladimirGameStudio

VladimirGameStudio

Hello everyone I'm going to upload some videos to give ideas for the game.

10. gegebel

gegebel

who wants to copy another game ? Added to this, this is not a game but an asset to create your own game.

11. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

I guess 90% or more will just make a rust clone. :D

OZAV, RobsonFMaciel and gegebel like this.
  12. VladimirGameStudio

VladimirGameStudio

Running, 90% of lis games are a clone of other game, but hey, maybe he is not interested in ideas but other people may be interested and you should not look for yourself, if not for everyone.

13. Hoonbag

Hoonbag

hey how is everyone i bought this about a week ago now, ive have had no big issues with it so far, great if you dont know much on unity (like me) and just wanna make a game for you and your mates! even saying that ive ran in to a small problem tho with the AI's (zombies) when you build a house the zombies can run/walk through it and attack you ive noticed its only along the joins of your house / your building in game anyone else ran into this problem? also would love to hear some news about the next update with saving and multiplayer and maby a date for it or is a nothing developer that takes your money and hides ahaha

14. Saiga308

Saiga308

Hi Hoonbag, Look at the collision boxes of the building objects and adjust them accordingly. I also suggest you try reading through this thread as the majority of your questions have already been answered. Then, after that, if you still have a question, post them.

15. VladimirGameStudio

VladimirGameStudio

Build furnace and kiln

16. MrGky93

MrGky93

hope it come this year the update

VladimirRad and pushingpandas like this.
  17. sebasfreelance

sebasfreelance

In a couple of days it will be, I hope so;)

MrGky93 and pushingpandas like this.
  18. SamuelHavelock

SamuelHavelock

Will you be able to use joystick controls and when is the release date?

19. sebasfreelance

sebasfreelance

If there is no unforeseen, at the end of this month

20. SamuelHavelock

SamuelHavelock

So there will be joystick controls?

21. MarcopoloR

MarcopoloR

Why not just add them yourself? It is in the settings menu on unity where you can change the controls around, or just look at the code and change them. Sorry to be critical but one of the reason this has been delayed so long is because people keep asking for extra fluff that they can easily do themselves.
    The developer is essentially making a finished game when they should be sticking to the core functionality, and this is probably why it is taking so long. It is also bad because it will become more attractive to Asset Flippers, meaning there will be a bunch of crap games out there, actually making things more difficult for people who really want to use this asset to make their own game.
    I don't need their start menu, for instance. I made my own start menu on the first game I made and I can easily do this again. I don't need most of their art either, but that is because I am an artist and can do this part myself, but even for non artists- who wants a cookie cutter game with all the same art assets as in this pack? This is the biggest criticism I have of this asset it the developer doesn't seem to be able to limit their scope and adds every little thing everyone wants(except integration with USky, or course, I have to, and will figure that out on my own when this friggin update finally gets completed). Adapting the entire sleep system to a different TOD asset will probably be a lot more difficult than changing a few control buttons around. So please don't ask him for more stuff right now, let him get done with what he is doing first please.

22. Hoonbag

Hoonbag

hey man thanks for your help gonna give it a sus tonight thanks once again :)

23. OkeanixTR

OkeanixTR

I'm completely agree

@Winterbyte312 I love you as much as I hate you because instead of making good template you trying to make asset-flippers requests and delay asset. I mean adding joystick lmao beginner level. Of course you don't care when you get all money but care real developers. Did you really want bunch of games just build of your template. 0.1 is already good template but not good to be full game and i like that but still people trying to upload it to Steam with same map LOL. Think about 0.2 when you add everything what developer can add anymore you already did everything. Whats point of template. This is what im thinking about this asset. Also giving people asset before assetstore release is bad marketing strategy before assetstore release people going to crack it.

24. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

I have no issues of adding the Joystick controls myself as I am a coder, but I just wanted to state that it may not be as easy as you think. Yes you can just easily go into the Input Manager and add Joystick capabilities for walking, attacking, jumping etc, but the main obstacle is when you want to implement smooth controls for the UI. For example navigating the Inventory, crafting, etc.

Don't worry about asset flippers. If your game is anything close to theirs than you yourself are an asset flipper, as you should be using this as a base, not a whole project. I already went over this in another post. I, for instance, am not using this for the Survival Aspect, I am making it more akin to Skyrim with an open world where you can craft weapons from monster parts, etc. Build housing, recruit guards, etc. Pretty sure no asset flipper's doing that lol.

LoDx and SirTwistedStorm like this.
  25. SamuelHavelock

SamuelHavelock

Will there be local split screen multiplayer?

26. SamuelHavelock

SamuelHavelock

I agree

27. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

do we know whats now inside 0.2 and whats pushed back?

28. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

As far as I know everything is as it was, except some things are planned for 0.21:

29. EvansSoftware

EvansSoftware

I agree to a large extent. Just look at what happened with Voxeland integration, a couple of us did it and all of a sudden people were begging for it to be added to US, what has it got to do with a Survival template!!!! People should choose their own terrain system and integrate themselves not ask Winterbyte to copy what others are doing.

30. thenamesace

thenamesace

Personally I have given up on this template not because of delays or that the asset is bad (because it's not it's really good) but any real developer will steer well clear of it due to the amount of dolphins (flippers) of this asset , if you are going to use this you will need to change and add everything you can think of to remove the dolphin flipper from your game! And if you have to go to that length then you may as well start from scratch yourself!

31. SamuelHavelock

SamuelHavelock

Will there be local split screen multiplayer?

32. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

You already asked that and nobody answered yet. Probably not though, it's not exactly a popular feature that the kit needs.

33. zenGarden

zenGarden

I think he should not respond to each request saying it's a good idea that will be in 0.2 for example , because small feature can sometimes become a very long development stuff.
    Just take note of the idea or feature but don't promise it will be implemented or ready for next release.

Most of the time plugin developpers have the same developement cycle, it's full dev time when the plugin is created with lot of user dialog and feedback , and development progressively slows down after the first big release for many reasons.

Anyway, let's hope fundamental stuff will get more attention before adding new features, like the spawning system that is too basic and missing many features to get optimized or work in a better way.

jesseganey likes this.
  34. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

You will never get an argument from me there.

When the version it defined, it shouldnt change (unless for a big reason which then gets documented and something has to be removed). So if 0.2 had a set feature list and tasks, then it shouldnt be affected by customers (or prospective customers) wish list.

A wish list should go in a backlog to be prioritised for future releases.

35. RobsonFMaciel

RobsonFMaciel

Only 1 week for the long awaited release???:rolleyes:

36. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

Clever :) That's a solid dev strategy right there. The sort of thing that 0.2x should be.

jesseganey likes this.
  37. LoDx

LoDx

@jessejarvis
    +1 thumb up from me :). Thanks for speaking up for some of us who face these constraints.

38. Zombie_Expert

Zombie_Expert

I want to trust its still WIP and not abandoned and just a cash grab scheme from the survival hype over the years but I'll wait till 0.2 comes out to decide.

39. EvansSoftware

EvansSoftware

Unfortunately I have to agree. This was a great starting point for building your own game but now it has turned into a game for artists/non-coders just to change the models while getting Winterbyte to add the gameplay elements they want. I doubt I will move on from 0.1 as it did everything I needed (I only bought it to have some ideas on crafting as I had done pretty much everything else). Though even 0.1 is almost a complete game just needed Save/Load which took less than an hour to implement.
    So yes unfortunately this may well become the Asset to avoid going forward as there will be so many clones with just cosmetic changes. I wish it was just a collection of survival elements, i.e. crafting, gathering and hunting and let us do the integration with other assets and develop our own game using them.

RobsonFMaciel and pushingpandas like this.
  40. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

I canceled my Project due the reason above. Even if you change all models the game mechanics are still a copy-cat and people WILL cry assetflip, maybe because of the animation, maybe because of the UI.

OkeanixTR and RobsonFMaciel like this.
  41. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

I don't agree at all sorry. I have changed my project so that it is nothing like US . Changing the UI is a pain in the ass but it's just time not skill

SirTwistedStorm and jesseganey like this.
  42. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

please Show me your Project and 2 other non US related. I promise I identify the US asset.

43. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

hehe no i dont think I will mate :) I am not working on a hobby project

Timspurgeon and jesseganey like this.
  44. zenGarden

zenGarden

This is called a game template like thousand of them in the Asset Store.
    You can't expect to have the exclusivity of game mechanics or 3D art from a game template lol

If you want to make some survival game not showing it uses US plugin, you must be able to customise the 3D art, animations , effects, and perhaps code.
    You could make a survival game in winter world, with machines instead of animals, with specific machines materials and crafting, sci fi weapons, new feature like energy shield or flying ennemies for example.

Even plugins like Invektor tps have the problem to be quickly identified in some games using it because of users not changing animations lol
    The plugin is great for coders as you get a strong base to learn, extend and customize.
    The weapon system for example is great and is a huge time saviour to bring new weapons and effects in game in some minutes and it has enought parameters to make something new.

I integrated my own AI code that manages characters using ranged weapons and covers with some custom EQS system. It uses my own optimised pool system and a faction system, i changed how crafting works to make it working like Zelda BOT from inventory without needing some furnace for example. There is no more mining system , you directly gather small rocks or materials laying on ground or walls.
    I added my own fishing mini game, next is adding honeycomb when you gather honey for example.

The template is a great way to get some survival prototype running in some hours with your own 3D art, before modding it deeply,.
    You are only limited by your 3D and coding skills, not by the template or other people usage lol

The plugin is a game template, this means a complete game template with assets and code fully functionnal, it is not meant to be a survival code api library if it is what you mean.

Like other games template it's made for non coders people to create their own survival game without coding, and replacing 3D art, perhaps US plugin is becoming too popular to have people noticing some users make games without changing a lot of stuff lol

Anyway, you can change models and animations, change the UI graphics and UI elements positions and sizes, change all 3D assets, change terrain shaders, also integration with Ice Creatures or Esmerald AI plugin should allow users to go further and customize more deeply creatures behaviour the player can encounter.

What matters is how you can use the plugin , how much deeply you can customize 3D art or code, code new features, or manage to integrate some other plugins.

You can't make responsible other users using the plugin as an asset flipper for you not being able to customize the template enought to make a very unique game using survival plugin.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    LoDx, MrEsquire and uni7y like this.
  45. EvansSoftware

EvansSoftware

No, but you can expect it to remain a template and not be a Game Request asset where people who do not know how or wish to code keep asking for changes to suit their game. Just changing models and UI is not creating a new game. Don't get me wrong I am sure many users are also changing the gameplay as I am but there are also many who will not be and want Winterbyte to do it all for them. What we don't want is a bunch of very similar games on Steam or elsewhere particularly where the 'developer' cannot fix any bugs or add features that their customers want without going back to Winterbyte.

46. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

47. zenGarden

zenGarden

Why not ? It is still a game you launch, and play with it's own game rules lol
    All fps games are clones of fps games for example, many times they keep the same mechanics, this is a long debate we won't start about what is a clone or not.
    After BattleField, now it's COD copying and doing another WW2 game for example.

There is lot of clones on Steam already from any game genre, crappy copies , it's not your problem if you are able to make something that is very different and new.

If WinterByte keep adding general usefull feature, it's good , but if he adds unique features only few people ask it's not good as it will delay too much development, it's up to him to choose what must be important to be implemented or not, again it's not your problem.

The problem is you don't have ebought confidence to make some unique game using the template that will play and look very different from thousand survival games existing on Steam (whatever they use Ultimate Survival plugin or not).
    All Steam survival games from indies or companies are all same mechanics, i expect to see something new about gameplay and features, it's what you should worry about.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    uni7y, LoDx and jesseganey like this.
  48. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

I think the term assetflip is bound to unity assets. I never read or hear that term from unreal marketplace assets. I said in the beginning its a bad idea to bundle the us asset with great 3d models. I would have used placeholder blocks. Surely the sell factor would be less - but assetflip would be less too. As more ppl flip the asset, the better known it become. Look at UNITZ.... And at one point - even if you dont use the asset but maybe your ART or your UI looks similar, ppl will call you assetflip...

49. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

It's not *new* nor *own rules* as it would be cloning the template.

This is very true.

Yes, very true. I noticed this with the Voxeland integration. Voxeland integration should be part and he did good with it, but then we were talking about a grappling hook which I realized could more harm the project as it would be another feature that everybody else would have.

I don't agree with this. I'm pretty sure nobody else is using a teleport strike mechanic, and as I am using EasyBuildSystem the building mechanics are different. Among many, many other features I either made or integrated. Nobody will recognize I use US, more than RFPS or other assets.

Yes it was cloned 1000+ times, and it's an awful lot like Unturned isn't it? But Unturned was done before it and with 1 person that coded everything manually. If you read any UnitZ product's comments/forums a lot of people say it's a clone/rip of Unturned, not many people mention UnitZ unless they know the assetstore.

RobsonFMaciel likes this.
  50. uni7y

uni7y

just something else... what happen to the discord channel? it is a ghost town now :(
    and here I also don't see much from @Winterbyte312 are you still there mate?? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.