Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Release][Free] Unity Sprites And Bones - 2D skeleton animation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by TheRealBanbury, Dec 29, 2013.

1. playemgames

playemgames

As far as I know there should be nothing special. Maybe the skinned mesh renderers' meshes are not exported correctly with it?

2. mrdares

mrdares

Hello,
    I downloaded the assets from playemgames on github to give it a try, thank you for keeping this addon alive !
    Could you please give me a hand to achieve the mesh deformation animation, I'm having a hard time doing it, there is something I must be missing somewhere...

I've followed the instructions of the various tutorial out there, and this is what I'd like to achieve :
    (I realize it's not the same version of the plug in)

Here's what I'm doing :
    1) Putting franky on my scene, and creating Skin2D
    1.png

2) Creating control points
    2.png

3) Creating a skeleton and put it in franky
    3.png

4) Creating bones all named differently
    4.png

5) Changing the influence of each bone
    5.png

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  3. mrdares

mrdares

6) Geting out of edit mode and calculating weights (calculate weights button does not seem to do anything)
    6.png

7) rotating bones but mesh not following
    7.png

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
    Using unity 5.1.1

4. playemgames

playemgames

Go to the skeleton component and hit the button "Calculate Weights" after you have the skin as a child of the skeleton. Make sure Lock Bone Weights is unchecked on the Skin2D component.

5. mrdares

mrdares

Thank you for your answer!
    It worked !
    So this is what I was doing wrong : I was having the skeleton as a child of the skin instead of the skin as a child of the skeleton!
    Here is the result :

8.png

Poor Franky...

6. playemgames

playemgames

Looks like you will have to recalculate the weights again in the Skin2D component, then redo it again from the Skeleton component.

7. playemgames

playemgames

Did some minor edits to Skin2D and the Skin2D editor and a minor bug with the AnimationEventCopier, so now the control points should match the SkinnedMeshRenderer except when it has multiple bones manipulating it, I am still trying to figure out a way to move the handles for control points to match the bone matrices, but so far have no luck. Otherwise it is working better. This may be the last time I touch it for a while, I will most likely be doing some major rehauling and renaming the repo to a new project soon.

In addition, since my talk didn't make it into Unite LA, I decided to release a tutorial I had written up for the talk, I put it in the repo but you can see it here:

2DSkeletalAnimation.pdf

I know people have been asking for this for a while, but I finally got around to writing one up. Hope this helps some people out there that have questions!

Attached Files:

8. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

@playemgames thanks for the continued support! Long live sprites and bones!

I finally got the IK working, after spending some more time tinkering with it, and got rid of SimpleCCD as it had issues in the latest unity versions. Seems the limits do work but for some reason they wouldn't work for me unless I set the angle limits count over 1, if I tried setting a limit on just a single bone and left it at 1, it never does anything? Then if I select to have two limits, and another bone is limited as well, for some reason it works great!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  9. ironwool

ironwool

Hi. Thank you for a great tool.

I've tried to use Skin2D, but can't force it work.
    I don't know why Skin2D mesh doesn't work (doesn't bend) with bones:
    1 Calculate / recalculate weights doesn't work.
    2 Weight painting error: "that SkinnedMeshRenderer not assigned to any bones, Recalculate Bone Weights."
    3 Influence Tail / Head - circles aren't visible in the Scene window.

I use Unity 5.3.5f1 and last ver. of SpritesAndBones
    7zip file with sample project attached.

Attached Files:

10. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I'e hit a bug in Unity 5.4.1f1 (and 5.4.1p4) with Sprites & Bones, when built for android IL2CPP:

At the time where I start a scene with a rigged character using inverse kinematics and angle limits, it spits out this error (I see this through Lunar Mobile Console stack trace):

Code (csharp):
    1. ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null. Parameter Name: key
    3. System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue].ContainsKey (.TKey key)
    4. InverseKinematics.Start()
    I think this directly relates to InverseKinematics.cs at or nearby line 99. It seems after this error, the IK no longer limits the bones like it does in the editor or when using the mono scripting backend on android.

Doing some quick basic research on the error, it seems it could possibly be caused by allowing multiple threads to access the same dictionary? Or possibly that the key parameter is really null? I didn't look through the code well enough to be completely sure what is going on.

EDIT:

Doh!

I discovered that the issue was caused by not having a bone assigned to the angle limits on one IK script which had two angle limits set, but only one had been assigned to a bone. For some reason this works fine in the editor (and probably in mono backend on android I think) but not for IL2CPP android (again, I think)...

Perhaps there is error catching that doesn't occur on android? Anyway if somebody else has this error - make sure no angle limits have been left unassigned!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  11. playemgames

playemgames

Great catch! I was going to ask if there was a value that was unassigned in angle limits and that could cause the error.

MD_Reptile likes this.
  12. playemgames

playemgames

You are doing things in reverse, you currently have the skin on top of the Skeleton but the skin should be under the skeleton:
    upload_2016-10-23_14-16-25.png

Should be like this, and the bones all need unique names or nothing will work:

upload_2016-10-23_14-47-9.png

Make sure you download the latest version from here:

https://github.com/playemgames/UnitySpritesAndBones/

Delete the old version you have in your directory including the Editor folder and replace with the one on Github. Once you set the heirarchy this way, you can reload the scene and it should work. You may have to set up the Skin2D from scratch. Please follow the tutorial here: https://github.com/playemgames/UnitySpritesAndBones/blob/master/2DSkeletalAnimation.pdf

13. playemgames

playemgames

I'd have to see your project to see how it is set up, should work with one. When you get a chance let me take a look at it.

14. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

15. ironwool

ironwool

@playemgames
    Thank you very much.
    Everything works fine now.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  16. playemgames

playemgames

I just wanted to give an update on the status of Sprites and Bones:

I made some minor fixes to the IK scripts and merged some compatibility fixes from another contributor. This will most likely be the last time I touch the code for a while as I am gearing up to finish some projects using Sprites and Bones and will be converting it to the new tool next after they are completed. The new tool will be compatible with Sprites and Bones, and will continue to be upgraded past Unity 5.5. I won't totally abandon Sprites and Bones, but I will not be updating it and fixing it as regularly since I will focus on the conversion to the new tool. It will be free. open source, and integrate some other functions to make life easier as well as integrate better with the new animation window. I may also look into releasing on the asset store for a nominal fee and keeping the open source version free with paid support as previously suggested.

Again if you want me to help you with anything with Sprites and Bones, please send me a small project illustrating the problem and I will get to it as I am able. I will showcase some of the things you can do with Sprites and Bones and the new tool as I finish up these projects, after the past couple of years working with this, I can probably help show some other neat things you can do with it.

Hope everyone has happy holidays and a great New Year!

theANMATOR2b and MD_Reptile like this.
  17. EvOne

EvOne

At the first start project, with newest version, downloaded from GitHub, I got this error:
    "Assets/SpritesAndBones/Scripts/Editor/SkinMesh.cs(150,39): error CS0117: `UnityEditor.EditorUtility' does not contain a definition for `SetSelectedRenderState'"

Unity version: 5.3.4f1

Tell me how to continue the work with the "UnitySpriteAndBones", please... :)

18. playemgames

playemgames

I've updated it to 5.5, for 5.3 you will have to change this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. EditorUtility.SetSelectedRenderState(spriteRenderer, EditorSelectedRenderState.Hidden);
    To this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. EditorUtility.SetSelectedWireframeHidden(spriteRenderer, true);

ironwool likes this.
  19. EvOne

EvOne

Big Thanks! :)

20. JhitoStudio

JhitoStudio

ok so using skeleton animation would use up CPU/GPU one of the solution is to do baking, I am able to bake pose however i am wornderin how can i use this baked pose for animation? sorry for being a no brainer :( maybe you guys can point me to the correct direction?

21. playemgames

playemgames

Since 5.4 there have been some changes to how rotations are handled so the Bake Pose button in the editor doesn't work as it should. I will have a workaround for this soon, but in the interim, you can go to each bone you want to have baked and manually set a keyframe for each major change while the IK is still on, then turn it off when you are finished.

22. JhitoStudio

JhitoStudio

Cool man yer the best, so does this mean if i dont use IK it will lessen cpu gpu usage? How about if i dont use the skeleton itslef like just a regular turning of the sprite image do you hink it will help?

23. playemgames

playemgames

There is a check box where you can disable the IK for the skeleton and use FK for everything. IK calculations are expensive, so it is better to use IK to create your animations and then bake the bone positions and rotations in for all the major movements in your animations.

24. Sushis

Sushis

Thanks for the tool :)
    Unfortunately I'm not abble to use it because after adding Gizmos and SpritesAndBones folders under my assets ... nothing occurs. I don't have any new menu or sub-menu to start playing with it :/ (I'm using unity 5.4.1f1)
    Is there something else to do ?

25. playemgames

playemgames

Try to follow the guide here:

https://github.com/playemgames/UnitySpritesAndBones/blob/master/2DSkeletalAnimation.pdf

Without a project to see what's going on it's hard to see what the problem could be.

26. Sushis

Sushis

I can't take screenshot right now but if it's needed I will take it this evening.

I followed the step describes in the pdf which was inside the Zip file on github. I copy-pasted the SpritesAndBones folder under Asset in my project, I moved Gizmos outside SpritesAndBones to put it under Asset directly.
    Then, when I opened my Unity with my project loaded, a "Hold on" window has appeared to import new assets.
    Even after a Unity restart, I didn't see the new menu "Sprites and Bones".
    So maybe I don't import the tool in the right way or there is something else I have to enable ?

Thanks for your help.

27. playemgames

playemgames

Nope it's pretty straight forward.

28. Sushis

Sushis

I was too tired yesterday, I didn't see the errors inside the console ^^

The first was because I created a script Event.cs to test something few hours before importing SpritesAndBones and it was in conflict.

Now I have another error :
    error1.PNG
    I had already an Editor folder, I removed him but the error is still here :/

Edit: Ok I noticed the message above with the same error, I know what to do.
    Edit2: I can see the plugins. :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  29. playemgames

playemgames

To those of you still using this tool, it has been a long time coming but I will finally be separating this out into it's own. It will still work the same but I will be doing some major cleanup of the code and functionality. I know Unity is rolling out their own, but so far there are few tools that do FFD and have it work with the animation tools, or have the flexibility that is needed for doing 2D animation. As Unity rolls out there own, I will try to make it as compatible as I can with it, so eventually, if it is better, then animations and set ups can migrate over to it. Obviously I am not working on this for money of any kind, so I will work on it where and when I can to keep it updated. I will be phasing out parts of the tool that are not being used or will be hard to update. I already phased out the Create Mesh as it is not working with 5.6, and the Mesh Creator is better at creating meshes anyway. So if anything is broken moving forward I suggest sticking with a prior version of Unity, or looking for a patch on your own for the solution since my time is so limited.

Thanks again for helping support Sprites and Bones, I hope that my work has helped some with their projects and looking forward to what is made with it in the future!

ovirta, awesomedata, TheValar and 2 others like this.
  30. playemgames

playemgames

I've been working on some tools to make things a bit easier for animating, and fixing up some bugs along the way. I found a way to clone the meshes while you are animating so it doesn't affect the original skinned mesh while you are working on it. If you have skinned meshes you are working with, you can use the Remap Meshes tool from Sprites and Bones>Remap Meshes to open up a window. Once here just click on the root object of your meshes and click on the Remap Meshes button to have it assign a reference mesh to all the Skin2D components. This way a clone can be made while you are in record mode, and once you turn it off it will reassign the mesh to the reference mesh. It can stall the editor a bit when you hit the record button if you have a lot of them in a character, so be aware of that for the time being.

Please let me know if you encounter any bugs. Once this is pretty much fixed I will be moving the tool over to the new 2017 Unity version and calling it a new name which I will announce with a github page once it is up. I should be compatible with this version, although I will be depreciating the ControlPoint component and using the new control points system done without transforms to save more memory.

silmarill, awesomedata and MD_Reptile like this.
  31. KanBi

KanBi

It's great, you should sell it because it's worth more than it's free

32. dudko

dudko

Hello!
    There is no problem with creating and animating skeleton with bones in editor but when i compile this stuff (android, pc) it doesn't work. IK is rotating but sprites/bones doesn't following, no visual animation. What it could be?
    PS:Sorry for my english

Unity Pro 5.5.0, Windows.

33. playemgames

playemgames

Can't really tell you without a project to see how you have it set up.

34. playemgames

playemgames

I know it's been a while, I am waiting for Unity to make some major changes in the Animation Window for 2018.1 and I will push out the new version to that. If you are going to migrate, make sure you are on the latest version as I will depreciate transforms as control points in the newest version. I will no longer be actively maintaining Sprites and Bones, things will be evolved from Sprites and Bones in the new tool. So if you have projects that work with Sprites and Bones and are ready for release I don't recommend migrating to 2018 and the new tool. As soon as everything is in and tested I will make the formal announcement and release. As usual it will be open source and have it's own github page.

35. awesomedata

awesomedata

Sounds awesome @playemgames -- thanks for all your hard work! -- I recommended Sprites and Bones to the official Unity reps in the Anima2D topic (as it blew my mind they picked Anima2D over this as a base), but they've never replied since.

I don't think they have a clear enough idea of what they're doing over there.

As an animator who has used countless tools for animation, yours here is the best there is for Unity. I really feel it might be a good idea to find that topic and mention your new tool there yourself also, since Unity can't seem to get their act together on making a 2D tool that supports FFD-style animation alongside bone animation. Plus -- it'd be really great to have your Sprites and Bones evolution potentially included in the default editor. Might be nice to show them a good design for a tool like this.

36. playemgames

playemgames

I'm working with Unity on some stuff that will make the tool easier to use, and we'll see Anima2D has some great things going for it for sure, I like the way it has onion skinning (which is something I have been trying to replicate) and editing sprite meshes within it's own editor window. Unfortunately lack of FFD is a killer for it, I am sure they are working on a version to merge with Unity eventually, but at the pace Unity does these things, I would not expect it to be integrated any time soon.

In the meantime, I'll keep plugging away, making more user friendly tools for this, and keep making cool animations for my games. Hopefully it helps all of you along the way!

awesomedata likes this.
  37. awesomedata

awesomedata

Nice stuff man. :)

Very good point, and I second that opinion -- but that now leads me to a very important question:

Do you think it would be possible to let the user do very basic parts positioning using Anima2D's onion-skinning (for the large moving parts), then convert that positioning/parts data (position/rotation/scale) from Anima2D's animation to your data format so we would be able to finish polishing-up the larger animations using FFD for the more subtle 3D and 'flowy' parts?

Seems like a good buffer workflow to help bridge the gap in the (probably really LONG) meantime...

38. playemgames

playemgames

No their code for Onion Skinning is very Anima2D specific, it is not transferable at all to what I am working on with the tool. Wish Unity would just make a renderer onion skinning built in between key frames, that would be great. Vote for it on the features list!

39. playemgames

playemgames

40. awesomedata

awesomedata

Sorry, I think you may have misread -- I wasn't referring to copy/pasting their code. I was asking if you'd let users work in Anima2D for bodypart / sprite positioning, then let us transfer those positions/rotations/scales (i.e. not the entire Anima2D data, but just the positioning and sprite-image relationships animated using Anima2D's onion-skinning IN Anima2D) to basically convert those simple animations to be edited with your tool's FFD capabilities.

So, essentially the workflow would be to shift the limbs/head/etc in Anima2D using it's OnionSkinning, then grab that precisely-positioned data and convert it to your own data format so we can use FFD functionality to polish the animation. This would allow us to have very precisely-positioned animations (minus FFD of course, but at least the broader motion would be recorded precisely using Anima2D's onion skinning). -- Does that make sense?

And yes, I'll totally vote -- onion-skinning definitely needs to be possible. D:

41. playemgames

playemgames

No it made sense, just their format for data is too different to port effectively. You are welcome to try though :)

Best to stick with one tool, and be good with it. I don't have a whole lot of time to work on this extensively, and as much as I want onion skinning, I don't want to hack around another tool to do it.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  42. awesomedata

awesomedata

@playemgames :

Yep, fair enough. -- Sadly, despite this, there are cases where onion-skinning (or at least some way of quickly scanning previous and next frames) would be outright necessary, thus multiple tools or a tweak to the Unity editor itself would pretty much be required at this point.

I totally understand and respect your desire not to work around another tool. Installing two concurrent animation systems to precisely position and animate one's sprites can definitely be a drag, but it's not impossible to work with your current system as-is either, since copy/paste of keyframes is still possible.

Thinking on it more -- grabbing positioning data might indeed not be the best way to go anyhow. It just seems 'naked' to animate with no hint of the flow of previous frames, but perhaps this can be worked around by a shortcut key in the Animation Window that lets us move quickly through the animation window's frames with the mouse-wheel. Did you perhaps talk to Unity about a shortcut as a (possibly simple) workaround to the lack of an onion skinning feature? -- It definitely won't replace onion-skinning, but it could indeed make our lives easier when we are forced to manually position things at least.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  43. playemgames

playemgames

I agree, it's really, really tough to animate without onion skinning, not impossible, but really tough. Anima2D is pretty much going to be orphaned at some point, so trying to mix stuff with that tool is to say the least kind of pointless for a project that makes me no money. How they do their onion skinning is instancing the renderers in their positions and sorting them in an object pool along with sorting orders and sorting groups. They basically cache the keyframes with IK positions and have those cached items set with different transparency levels and colors. You can download and see how they do it yourself, it's under Anima2D/Scripts/Editor/OnionSkin. This method is only good for a small amount of objects though if you are animating, it can get really heavy if you have a complex rig. That is why I am hoping they do it on a native level, as I don't think this method is sustainable if you want to test animations with the skinning on.

I see you make editor tools as well, maybe this can be your contribution? I just wish I had more time to look into it, but I have poked my contacts at Unity recently that work on the tools to see if this is going to go through or not.

44. awesomedata

awesomedata

Yeah man, I don't mind. -- If you could get your contacts at Unity to perhaps give me the tools to access the Animator window to make shortcuts for it via an exposed API or something, I'd totally do that at the very least. If I can access individual components of the animation window (or, even better, add my own) then I wouldn't mind helping to contribute to onion-skinning at all. Maybe you might be able to convince them to try and convince the "powers-that-be" at Unity to let us play with that Animation window's stuff.

45. playemgames

playemgames

Been trying to get them to open that up for years! Not sure if that will happen, but you can probably have an interface that works alongside it that renders to the scene view. A better approach might be to actually render things using the Graphics.Procedural API to draw things out rather than caching all the objects and renderers, would just basically create a snapshot of each pose in the keyframe and have that in memory. At least just thinking out loud that may be one way to do it. I'll keep pushing that envelope though, I think opening up some of the Animation Window API would be beneficial to us all to get around some of the shortcomings of it.

This thread has some interesting ways of going about it, but I have not had any time to try to implement anything:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/ani...on-with-specific-start-and-end-frames.467892/

awesomedata likes this.
  46. JhitoStudio

JhitoStudio

Thank you so much boss @playemgames for your hardwork, soon this will benefit you

playemgames likes this.
  47. palmy689

palmy689

Hi! I hope your still monitoring this because I haven't seen a recent post in a while, but I am having a problem with the mesh deform option. I watched the tutorial above and when I go into the sprites and bones tab, I don't have the "mesh creator" tab, I have the "create mesh" tab, and it doesn't have the same functionality as the one in the tutorial. Also the skin 2D doesn't seem to work for me either :( (I really want it to cause it would help a lot, but I just haven't had any luck.

48. playemgames

playemgames

Without a sample project can't really help you, for tutorials, the videos are really, really old. Use the PDF supplied on the github page:

https://github.com/playemgames/UnitySpritesAndBones/

49. playemgames

playemgames

Here's an update for you all in this thread, I am closing in on making some of the final changes to the new version of Unity Sprites and Bones, that will go by a new name soon, it will be compatible with the animations you have created, I am depreciating some things like transform Control Points which were removed long ago but still exist for legacy purposes, and there are tools for converting the old to the new system. I have added some nice new features, like a Sorting Manager that will manage sorting orders for the sprites and renderers in the hierarchy of the animated objects so you can finally animated sorting orders in the Animation Window across multiple renderers and not just sprite renderers. I will only be providing support for 2018.1 and up since those are what my new projects require, since it will be open source though, as usual, you can provide your own fixes and solutions to make it more backwards compatible for your projects if you need to. I will not be working on Unity Sprites and Bones any more, since everything will be pushed to this new tool version, so if you do have changes you want to submit for the Unity Sprites and Bones repo go ahead and create pull requests, and I will most likely grant them after a quick test to make sure they work.

So the TLDR version of this is, Unity Sprites and Bones is not dead, it is being reborn as something new, and stay tuned as I will announce here once the final fixes are in place and ready for distribution.

MD_Reptile and awesomedata like this.
  50. playemgames

playemgames

Happy Holidays Everyone! Just wanted to let you know I have released a new version of Unity Sprites and Bones in a new form! It is called Boner2D! Here is the new forum page with the details:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/release-free-boner2d-2d-skeleton-animation-tools.602521/

For those of you who have existing projects, I have support for this for Unity 2018.1.9f1 and above, so if you are porting it back to something earlier you may run into problems I cannot support. Otherwise your current animations should still work, I will leave the transform control points for a time period and then remove, so please update to the newest control point system if you are using an existing project. Do not post issues for Boner2D here, please post them in the issues page on Github or the Unity thread above. Happy Holidays and hope this helps some of you out with your animations!

https://github.com/playemgames/Boner2D

awesomedata likes this.