Search Unity

Regional Matchmaking

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Somaweb, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Somaweb

Somaweb

Hey Guys,
    we are currently in development for our early acces title "Can't Drive This" which is available since last week. We are using UNet Multiplayer but ran into an issue.

We do have streamers playing our game but sometimes they want to connect over the ocean, in this video the two streamers, are sitting in wales and in california: https://www.twitch.tv/guude/v/92430008

Our network/matchmaking approach is to open a Steam lobby, open a unet match/lobby, setting the match data (networkID, externalID) from the unet data to the steam lobby meta data, so if you want to invite somebody, you can do this via steam invite, to the steam lobby, and the one joining can connect to the Unet match via the meta data (networkID, externalID) he is getting from the steam lobby meta data.

So the question is, how do we avoid that the matches are set in different regions. I read about different matchmaking servers in different regions.

And the second and more important question is, how does this affect the relay connection between those two players? Are there different relay servers for different regions? Is it configurable? What if an australian guy wants to play with an canadian guy? Are they able to play via relay servers?

Thanks is advance for the help guys.
    I do hope we can make the Unet great ;)

Greets Andi

2. Lofar42

Lofar42

+1 I am having this exact issue - Did you find a solution Somaweb?
    I'm thinking of just filtering my steam lobby results because of this.

3. Somaweb

Somaweb

Hey there, what we did is the following:
    1. We start a Steam lobby (to invite your friend)
    2. We open a lobby in unet
    3. Put the lobbyID, serverName, etc of the unet lobby in the steam meta data
    4. Invite friend
    Then he connects to steam, parses the data and connects to the UNET lobby

You can set the server you want to connect by setting "matchHost" of the NetworkManager.

Hope it helps.

Greets Andi

4. Lofar42

Lofar42

Thank you very much!

pixel_maniacs likes this.