Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Red sea text in editor

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by hejaaa, Jan 26, 2017.

1. hejaaa

hejaaa

What is wrong?

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Are you running some editor scripts in the project? Does this happen in a new project?

3. hejaaa

hejaaa

Yes, we have some libraries from assetstore. It happens to existing projects.

4. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

So it sounds like one of your editor scripts is changing the editor GUI style or color and not reseting it back. Try removing each editor library you have until the issue fixes itself and you identify the problem package. Then you can either fix it yourself or contact the asset provider and report the bug. Did this problem just start happening, e.g a unity version upgrade?

5. hejaaa

hejaaa

Problem is with Steamworks.NET editor script. But why react Unity red see?

6. rlabrecque

rlabrecque

karl_jones likes this.
  7. fredsa

fredsa

I've seen Unity 5.60b5 turn all GUI text red like this with a different plugin which also isn't setting GUI style of color anywhere.

The issue only reproduces sometimes, but I've been able to trigger it by, for example, throwing an exception in a static initializer for an `[InitializeOnLoad]` script. Although most of the time I just see an error message in the console (as expected), other times all the test turns red, and the console shows:

1. Two stack traces which look something like this:

System.Exception: Exception of type 'System.Exception' was thrown.
    at InitializeOnLoadTestController.DoSomething () [0x00001] in /path/to/my/InitializeOnLoadTestController.cs:110
    at InitializeOnLoadTestController..cctor () [0x00142] in /path/to/my/InitializeOnLoadTestController.cs:94
    UnityEditor.EditorAssemblies:processInitializeOnLoadAttributes()

2. followed by a long list of exceptions reporting issues like:

Missing built-in guistyle ColorPickerBox
    Missing built-in guistyle In BigTitle
    Missing built-in guistyle miniLabel
    Missing built-in guistyle LargeLabel

These look like this:
    Missing built-in guistyle ColorPickerBox
    UnityEditor.EditorUtility:DisplayDialogComplex(String, String, String, String, String)
    InitializeOnLoadTestController:DoSomething() (at Assets/InitializeOnLoadTestController.cs:110)
    InitializeOnLoadTestController:.cctor() (at Assets/InitializeOnLoadTestController.cs:94)
    UnityEditor.EditorAssemblies:processInitializeOnLoadAttributes()

8. eastes

eastes

I'm also getting this every few hours. It comes on in playmode sometimes. Only way to get rid of it is restart unity.

9. givemesomekiss

givemesomekiss

Same problem here since Unity 5.6.0f3

10. TristanChambers

TristanChambers

We have the same problem occasionally in 5.6.0f3. We noticed the bug did not go away even after a restart of unity unless we first cleared the console then restarted. We have many third party editor scripts. We never noticed this behavior in Unity 5.4.

11. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

12. TristanChambers

TristanChambers

We are now using Unity 5.6.0p1 and we still notice the issue. The problem occurs even without a popup. I don't think we've ever noticed a popup either.

Unfortunately we don't really have any consistent way to reproduce it.
    - Sometimes it happens when we press play,
    - Sometimes it happens after starting the editor,
    - Having the console clear at editor start does not always fix the problem. (We thought maybe a log's style was leaking into other GUI elements)

We do know that if we clear our console and then restart unity, the problem goes away, until it comes back.

Someone said that they noticed it disappear when they clear the console and restart. But if they do the same thing when the red text is gone, the red text will sometimes show on the next startup. Could just be speculation though.

13. eastes

eastes

Quick fix.....

Swap the color scheme. Professional Dark / Regular and back again. It fixes it temporarily.

14. WInDArt

WInDArt

We have the same problem. The error occurred after the update to the Unity 5.6.0f3.
    We cannot swap the color scheme because have personal version.

Attached Files:

15. _MGB_

_MGB_

Also seeing this weird red text now and again since v5.6
    Screws up fonts and color, and can't select anything in the scene hierarchy.
    Seems to appear more when I get a 'scene has changed' message and reload it.

16. eloiii

eloiii

Any news here?
    I have the same error in my project. I'm running Unity 5.6.0f3 Personal with the SteamVR plugin and the HTC Vive connected, and I dont' know how to avoid it. It is bothering me a lot because it appears almost every time I push play. When it happens, the only thing I can do is close it and restart the editor.
    I cannot swape the color scheme (or I don't know how to do it) and I don't want to install the 2017 beta.

17. iLLumiBonatti

iLLumiBonatti

I've gotten this error as well, and I don't have any UI scripts running. (I'm not even using any code I didn't write myself, and all of that is fairly simple since I started the project yesterday.) The first time I ran into this error, I was testing for the first time a script which spawns low-poly asteroids in the background and moves them contrary to the player's movement. This seems unlikely to be part of the problem though, I figure it's probably something that I'm unaware of that caused it.

18. LaneFox

LaneFox

I've had this happen several times in the last couple of months on different projects, none of which were using any 3rd party tools. Its really random, I haven't been able to find any kind of pattern or cause.

19. valyard

valyard

Unity Technologies

This issue should be fixed in 2017.1.0b4 and 2017.2.0a1.
    The fix for 5.6 is coming in one of the next patch releases.

WInDArt and _MGB_ like this.
  20. Wrekse

Wrekse

I use 5.6.1f1 and still having these errors. Is there an external fix that i'm not aware of?
    Are you guys still having issues?

21. shoeshine1984

shoeshine1984

I'm on 5.6.0f3 and also having exact issue.