Search Unity

RageTools: Flash-like 2D Vectors and GUI for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MaDDoX, Oct 4, 2011.

1. polytropoi

polytropoi

bravo MaDDox! Great to hear about the SVGin improvements for webplayer projects. This is really game-changing stuff...

2. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Sure Duke, I've already been asked that and it's my #1 priority as soon as I release the next version - I gotta make the lives of polytropoi and crowd easier first :)

I know it might sound weird but we're also working in the 1.05 version (next is 1.04). RageTools 1.05 has a really large refactoring that'll allow us to push the envelope much further, with right-click menu macros (for things like "set all items to density zero") and all the RageSpline style and physics options available to be applied to the group. You'll even be able to set up Rigidbodies to all grouped RageSplines for super-quick physics setup. I'm already looking forward to make a video showcasing some great uses of these new features :)

Edit: ShreddinPB, I didn't get your e-mail, even if the support e-mail you've posted is correct. Not in the trash as well, no idea what happened. Care to send it in again? Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  3. kashhatton

kashhatton

I'm having difficulty importing SVG files (even the included ones)

Attached is a screenshot of what I get. Has anyone else seen this?

Unity Pro 3.4.2f2
    Mac OS X 10.7.2

4. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Hi kashhatton. This pink/purple color is the Unity default visual feedback for texture not found (makes sense, after all, pink doesn't exist).

The only case I've seen this happening was when the RageSpline package wasn't properly imported, or when you import only the RageSpline code (.cs files) and forget to import the shader and texture from the package. Please try re-importing it and see if it fixes that issue.

5. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Update on the 1.0.4 development, we've finally broke through the hardest "bug" of all, pivotools not updating the gradients accordingly. Actually it was the lack of a feature, since RageSpline stores gradient coordinates in local space and not in world space and that made things quite tricky to work around, especially considering nested transformations. So I've decided to do it the longer-proper-way and also implemented the much needed "Freeze Rotation and Scale" function in Pivotools, which basically sets your whole hierarchy to rotation (0,0,0) and scale (1,1,1), then moves all points back to their original positions, making a similar adjustment to the spline gradients. In practice you can rotate and scale your object all you want and, once it's in place, apply 'freeze rotation and scale' and get all its transforms nicely reset with no visual change to your art! This is a major breakthrough that I'm sure it's gonna improve your workflow sensibly.

Many thanks to my partner Raff who shed some light into the matter yesterday.

PS.: Remember the edgetune performance boost I reported last week? Forget about that number, it's now some 300% faster - and user customizable :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  6. robin_notts

robin_notts

Maddox - I'm definitely going to buy at some point but I've been holding off for the Pro features (text/magnet). Something that concerns me a little is that you mention making fonts in Illustrator which I don't own and definitely don't plan to. Will it be possible to create fonts in something else? What are the format requirements? I ask because it might be possible to create the font file in my own homemade app using something like cairo and libsvg.

Also, has anyone tried SVGs exported from iPad apps like InkPad or iDraw? Both great apps for making art on the go.

Looking great so far.

7. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Hi robin_notts, thanks for your nice words! RageTools Pro is definitely our main goal and we're pushing hard to have it done before Christmas. If you need anything from RageTools right now, like the SVG import capabilities or dynamic "LOD" edge tuning, remember there will be a seamless upgrade path for existing RageTools owners, worth only the price difference between the packages, so you won't lose anything if you decide to be an early adopter - much on the contrary, we'll select a few RageTools Pro betatesters out of the existing RageTools owners, so it's a clear shot at being one of the first users in the world to enjoy the Pro version revolutionary tools.

You'll definitely be able to do it using any app able to export SVG groups (layers) containing each individual letter of your font in a separate layer, named as the layer itself. That's all RageText requires actually, all the rest (kerning, tracking, etc) is defined inside Unity itself in a very intuitive fashion. In fact, the procedure It's an order of magnitude easier than preparing and importing a textured bitmap font into Unity. We'll also update RageGroup in a forthcoming release, to enable applying a different style to all the RageFont letters at once.

BTW, I've previously mentioned doing it through Illustrator simply because it's what I use, with a simple custom action as a helper, but you can easily do the same using any vector program in a slightly more manual fashion. If you can automate actions in Inkscape or similar app, it'll be a breeze.

Nice hints, I haven't tried them myself. If you have any sample SVG file created by them, just send it my way using our contact e-mail and I'll definitely check it out. We've been ironing out SVG-In bugs and adding SVG compatibility features in a frantic pace here, so if we find anything that doesn't work yet and it's worth it - we'll make it work ;)

8. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Glad to report that RageTools 1.0.4 is finally done and submitted to the Asset Store, hopefully it'll go live later today. There are too many enhancements and fixes to briefly mention, so follows the changelog:

1.0.4 Release Notes
    - SVG-In: Now fully compatible with web builds and all other platforms
    - SVG-In: Open lines Outlines now properly offset in RageSpline to match the original art look
    - SVG-In: Added support to Ellipse import
    - SVG-In: Added support to Transform Matrices, check the included "Banana Republic" SVG file
    - SVG-In: Fixed rare bug with outline widths using decimal numbers
    - SVG-In: Fixed outline type error with nested styled groups
    - SVG-In: Fixed rare bug with TAB characters amidst coordinate sequences
    - SVG-In: Added multiple measurement units safety checks.
    - Pivotools: Added "Per-Item" centering mode; Read updated docs for a detailed description
    - Pivotools: Gradients are now properly offset during centering operations.
    - Pivotools: Added options to Freeze rotation and scale of RageGroup splines; Read docs
    - Edgetune: Auto-density mode now uses progressive update by default; Read docs
    - Edgetune: Added 'Update Count' control; default is 8, zero disables progressive update
    - RageGroup: "Group Tweak" undo fixed, please update all RageGroups created on previous versions
    - RageGroup: You can now inspect individual Rage Group Item Data using Unity's debug mode

9. ibyte

ibyte

Hi MaDDox, congrats on the update release. Lots of good stuff :) ..... I did find a few issues while playing withe the demo scenes.

1) When following the edge tune demo, if you update the scale boxes manually vs the slider adjustment (In step 6) the edge tune change is not picked up until the slider is touched. If the behaviour can't be changed then a note in the docs would help.

2) I found the when playing around with the new per item centering that i got odd results if the only thing i did was a per item centre. I seemed to have to do a global centre inplace and then do a per item centre after that. Have you seen that behaviour?

EDIT: Perhaps I am not doing this correctly? Load new scene. Create new game object. Add SVGIN component. Import eye svg file. Add pivotools component to parent game object. Change mode to per item and click on center. Subpath0 gets relocated. Any GO with a RS object on it does have it's pivot centred. Parent subpaths with no RSO do not.

EDIT2: Been trying pivotools on my animals test file and doing a mode:freeze center followed by a mode:per item center seems to give me what I expected.

I think it's just one of those things where different files will bring out different issues until you can nail all the possibilities down. :D

3) Can't undo certain things in Ragetools (we spoke about this a bit before). For example load up edge tune demo. Click initialize, click on, then click undo. That step cannot be undone and as a consequence nothing before that is also undoable,

iByte

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  10. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Yeah, that's the expected behavior, as described in the docs. BTW, did I mention the PDF file got updated? It did, please re-download it guys :) All new stuff has a (new) blue tag right next to the item title.

As for Edgetune undo, we've done a massive refactoring using ScriptedObject data to allow the precise undo of pretty much anything in RageTools. What you guys are getting is a branch so not everything got updated to the main branch we're working on. Next release will include the new "Boo Inspector" editor features and this will work as expected, just as it'll be 10x easier to add new features like physics support, mass rigidbody assignment, etc.

Thanks for your report iByte :)

11. Curious

Curious

@MaDDoX,
    Is the 1.04 update in the asset store yet?

How the 1.05 going so far? :D

12. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Yeah, it's now live in the Asset Store. Grab it while it's hot ;)

Actually the next release will have enough new features that will most probably be 1.1. It'll also contain all the changes needed for compatibility with the RageTools Pro components, so it's definitely a key release for us! For the record, development on RageTools Pro is going strong, we've refactored the RageMagnet code to support capsule controllers (read: bones), which will offer not only a distance-from-center decay like the sphere controller, but also a distance-from-pivot decay, allowing cool deformation stuff like muscle bulges and bends. Its coolness is really beyond words, I'm eager to get the first videos showing its power - but first I still gotta finish the standard RageTools web demo and GUI-tutorial video. Too much to do, too little time, but truly exciting in any case :)

13. Curious

Curious

@MaDDoX,
    Thanks man.

One quick question, how do you import an O shape .svg file? (I'm using Inkscape)

14. ibyte

ibyte

Curious,

From the PDF

4.1.2.1.1. Hollow Shapes – Not supported by RageSpline. Cut-out shapes are still parsed as closed shapes using the style of their enclosing shape. To circumvent this limitation, before exporting from your illustration software, perform a knife (Illustrator) or boolean (Inkscape) operation to split your “O”-type shape and turn it into a “C”-type shape with touching ends. Check the included “RageFont-Atarified_A” SVG file for an example.

iByte

15. Curious

Curious

Thanks iByte :D

@MaDDoX,
    I think I found a little bug! If one has a shape made of 2 or more closed shapes with the same color (two non-overlapping circle like shapes) the outcome of this in unity is a shape with the right color and a child (the second shape) with !!black!! color! But if you break the shape apart and regroup it the problem will fix!

Just my 2 cents
    Thanks

16. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Curious, if I got you right that's not a bug. If you had to break the shape apart that means the shape was combined. In this case even if the shapes don't overlap SVG-In imports as a children RageSpline, assigning either the default color (black) or the previous shape's color, depending on how the SVG file was built. This is a way to always get the shapes in, and at the same time alert the user visually that he should probably break his shapes apart (and edit them, if it's a hollow shape) in his vector editing app before sending to Unity. If I recall correctly that was the same case in an SVG file iByte sent me.

If I didn't get you right, just send me the SVG file through the contact e-mail and I'll check it out. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  17. Curious

Curious

Yeah, I guess that's the case ;)
    Thanks buddy

Oh, and which one is more compatible with RageTools? AI or Inkscape?

18. ibyte

ibyte

Hi MaDDox, enhancement request for RageGroup. I would call it a Flatten tweak. Basically reset the z axis setting to zero on the first item and then restack the RSO 's in front of it. This is useful if you have done an import on a file that has many characters (like my sample file) and the objects have become way spread out once you reorganize them.

Right now I am looking at having to hand edit them all. :(

iByte

19. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Before 1.0.4 I'd probably say Illustrator, due to Inkscape high reliance on Transform matrices, now it doesn't really matter :) As noted in the docs, always save your Inkscape SVGs as "Flat SVG". I didn't really find a case where it broke the import, but it's always a safe procedure to prevent the odd case where an important parameter is exported as a "sodipodi" setting. If you're curious about what 'sodipodi' means, it's simply the name of the program which Inkscape branched off from, then it kept that tag as a compatibility measure. True SVG specs have no "sodipodi" command at all :)

Not sure I got the request right iByte. If you mean your objects got too spread out in the z axis, doesn't reducing the 'z offset' setting to a very small value fix it? In any case I expect to have the z offset highly unnecessary after we implement the auto z-depth shader ordering that we have planned for RageGroup and/or Rage SvgIn. We'll need it anyways to make RageText more flexible and easy to use, so that feature is surely not a long way off.

20. caffeinatedguy

caffeinatedguy

Just wanted to drop by and say RageTools Rocks! I wanted to thank you again for all your hard work. MaDDoX has been extremely prompt with fixes and updates I've needed. This got me up and running fast. Saved me at least a couple months of work creating import/converter tools for my game. (On my last game Brick Bow I used sketchup for art so I spent a couple months creating Sket2FBX to get art in the game).

Thanks again!

Cheers,
    Greg aka @CaffeinatedGuy

21. keely

keely

I'm sure MaDDoX wouldn't mind if you put this in the Asset Store review-box too.

22. xurok

xurok

Just to say that I just bought Ragespline + Ragetools, I hope it will be fun and not too difficult.
    Is this the place to ask questions etc? I can't find a 'support forum' on http://www.freakow.com/ragetools.html

23. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

It's hard to express how glad I am to read those words :) Greg has also been amazing to work with, providing me with clear examples of the issues he got and even providing ideas on how to deal with them. His samples also helped Keely to improve RageSpline, which now has anti-aliased open line caps. Being able to provide a great toolset for game devs like you is a privilege, and exactly what moves me and my partners to continue improving RageTools as much as possible. Heartfelt thanks!

Good point Xurok, I should definitely add a link on the page to this topic. You're right, here's where we have the discussion / ideas / requests flowing, I generally drop by at least once a day and reply each and every question. If you have any specific support question that requires a quick reply, sending an e-mail to support@freakow.com is generally faster. Thanks for your purchase, I hope you enjoy it and it boosts your productivity as much as it did to our own Unity content! :)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  24. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Hey guys, quick-and-sweet update. Last week we've been through a thorough code merge (we're now back to a single branch after 1.0.4 release, which's great) followed by even more cleanup work. Sandro just loves making the code as shiny as a muscle car painting, I can't stop him - and gotta thank him for cleaning up the mess and making adding new features SO much easier. I can bet Keely would love having one like that working with him ;) So today we've finished adding support to capsule magnets (read: bones), all infra-structure's now in place. You can switch from sphere to capsule magnet type automatically with a simple dropdown-box selection, really sweet. Both inner and outer radius are now shown as native colliders, and the inner radius is adjustable interactively with a simple slider, as a percentage of the outer radius.

Follows a screenshot showing a bone-magnet rotating and scaling a segment of the grid. Also my super-duper paint drawing showing (?) how the bone-magnets influence the underlying shapes and the intended result. I'm adding it just for the kicks, good luck trying to understand it :)

Attached Files:

25. Dabeh

Dabeh

Your picture has confuzzled me, ahahahaha. But I understand it(me thinks?)
    The colors are meant to signal different levels of bulge, red being the most extreme it adds more bulge. Orange being normalish and blue and green being mild bulges. I guess you were trying to see how this would be useful in a scenario :p?

Ah, I have no idea. Argh. But the first one looks awesome. Can't wait to get RageTools.

26. xurok

xurok

You have a private message :)

27. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Hey look at that, it's not *so* incomprehensible after all lol :D Actually the default behavior doesn't "bulge" by itself, all it does is decay the influence linearly from 100% at the pivot center to a user-defined minimum (say, 20% or 0%) at the "pivot mirror" - basically a point equally distant from the geometric center of the bone-magnet. For that to work you need to have the capsule collider offset from the pivot point on Y. So, tech talk aside, it doesn't actually "bulge", it keeps the muscle points shape more strongly when closer to the pivot point. In the other end it loses influence, while the child magnet has full influence, hence the result you see in the bent arm :) We do intend to eventually add support to actual muscle bulge like in Lightwave 3D, it's an interesting effect for some characters.

You can already get RageTools in the Asset Store, bone-magnets are one of the RageTools Pro features :)

Hi Xurok, our e-mail is contact@freakow.com (not support@). Feel free to drop us a line anytime you need, I'll get back to you ASAP. And I've just replied your PM, just change your camera to ortho. TA!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  28. bigjhnny

bigjhnny

Hi fellow ragers:

I just purchased ragespline and ragetools. I noticed immediately a problem with z-fighting. The second attachment is a banana slightly rotated around x-axis. Notice the highlight does not appear.

I'm using an orthographic camera. Most of the items in my scene are essentially billboards, but I would like to have the ability to rotate some of the objects around the x-axis.

Do I need to mess with render queues if I want to get this right? Is this expected behaviour in an orthographic camera? Or maybe this belongs to the ragespline thread?

Attached Files:

29. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Hi Johnny, welcome to the jolly unity vectors boat :) You're right, that's a limitation of the RageSpline shader which requires messing with the renderqueue through scripting to work around. Some users told me they got their own implementation of that going, but obviously it's a tedious manual process. Nevertheless, you'll be glad to know we're working on an automated render queue setter during import. This way you'll be able to use RageSpline vectors easily as wall textures, Y-tilted UI elements and all sorts of other cool things - somthing I've never convinced Keely of its coolness, he envisions RageSpline as a purely ortho 2D tool. Hope he doesn't mind us pushing his baby a lil' further ;)

Thx for the purchase, and feel free to e-mail us any time with your comments / suggestions / reports.

30. bigjhnny

bigjhnny

Hi maddox, thanks for the reply! Wow, this is a must-have for us as we plan to import more complex shapes.... Do you know about a schedule that this can be released?

Thanks again!

31. keely

keely

Just to clarify: I'm limiting official RageSpline out-of-the-box support to ortho/2D only. I know there is a demand for 3D/perspective stuff, but supporting that is complicated and I think it's better to narrow the scope and do stuff well vs. bloating to support everything.

This doesn't mean that users can't extend it to their own purposes like MaDDoX is doing with his own extension, which makes me a happy camper.

32. ShreddinPB

ShreddinPB

Hey guys.. just have a question about scaling these.. I am basically creating them and tweaking them till they look right. My puzzle piece is a standard unity sphere at the scale of 1,1,1. When I do SVG In, the resulting geometry is HUGE compared to the sphere at a scale of 1. I then scale down its parent node until the object looks like the same size as the ball, and all looks good.I then make a prefab out of it and delete it from my scene layout.
    The problem comes in when I drag that same prefab back into the layout, the objects outlines are HUGE and all you see is a black spikey ball. Is there a way to scale these that stays the same after prefab?
    Maybe a scale on import? Or some sort of way to tweak it after I scale it and prefab it so it looks right?
    I did also try to then go and post adjust the "Outline Width" but that seemed to change nothing

Right now the work around I use is after I instantiate the object I scale it, but I wont be able to do that any longer because I am going to a different system to get away from instantiating and destroying to speed up the game on mobile platforms.

On the left is the object after import, on the right is the object after scaling then prefabing, then putting back in the scene.

$issue.jpg

33. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

I hope you didn't take my silly joke seriously Keely. After all, if you didn't want people to extend RageSpline's funcionality you wouldn't have coded an API, aye? :) Seriously now, it's much easier to assign the render queue during an SVG import, simply because the render order (what comes in front and what goes behind) is already defined in the SVG. For RageSpline to do that it would need to be aware of groups and each spline relationship to the others in the scene - which is exactly what the RageTools' Group feature does. Which gives me the idea that eventually we should have some auto-queueing feature in RageGroup... hmm.

No firm schedule as usual, but off the top of my head it seems like a relatively simple feature to code in. It should be in for the next feature release.

Hi ShreddinPB, nice cow :) So, let me break down your questions. First, you can easily add a RageGroup to the object root (after scaling it down to look good how you did), then apply PivoTools 'freeze rotation and scale'. That will reset the root object transform to default coordinates (ie. rotation 0,0,0 and scale 1,1,1). You might need to group-tweak the antialiasing width after that, that's not done automatically right now.

Oh man, how I dislike Pre-fabs. They can't keep all references like their source GameObjects, and that's a source of all types of problems - which ultimately demand many workarounds. Obviously I can't tell you how you should build your game, but you could try using disabled game objects instead. Here at Freakow we call those "prototypes". Once instanced they get immediately enabled, and they're much easier to fiddle with animation clips than a prefab and its flimsy connections.

On a positive note, I find prefabs extremely handy when I want to get a "snapshot" of some object which was transformed during play time.

You'll probably need to apply the proper settings programatically after instantiate, and refresh the group splines. I've quickly cooked a script here to do just that, add it to the root game object after assigning a RageGroup to it. Try it out:
    Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    3. public class ApplyRageSettings : MonoBehaviour
    4. {
    5.     public float AaWidth;
    6.     private RageGroup _group;
    8.     public void Start () {
    9.         _group = GetComponent<RageGroup>();
    10.         _group.AntiAlias = AaWidth;
    12.         foreach (RageGroupElement rageGroupItem in _group.List)
    13.         {
    14.             RageSpline path = rageGroupItem.Spline;
    15.             if (path == null) continue;
    17.             if (_group.Proportional)
    18.             {
    19.                 path.antiAliasingWidth = rageGroupItem.DefaultAa * AaWidth;
    20.                 path.RefreshMesh();
    21.                 continue;
    22.             }
    24.             path.antiAliasingWidth = AaWidth;
    25.             path.RefreshMesh();
    26.         }
    27.     }
    28. }
    You'll might need to play with both Outline width and the AA settings, I'm not 100% sure if that's your case. Beep me again if you still can't work it out, we'll get it sorted :)

34. ShreddinPB

ShreddinPB

Messing with the AA settings also helped.. It all looks fine now.

Import SVG
    center pivot
    scale
    freeze scale (this is where it looks terrible)
    adjust outline and AA settings
    Drag to resources folder

When I drag it back in, it looks the same ;)

thanks!

35. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Excellent Shreddin, glad you got it working. I'll try to make this smoother in the future, thanks again :)

36. xurok

xurok

I do otherway :

Let's say, you use 800*600 game view resolution, use camera size half the height (300) and you have a 1:1 scale with Illustrator. Is it bad to increase camera size like that?

37. ShreddinPB

ShreddinPB

No worries.. its not a big deal, just my brain was thinking that the AA would always be relational to the size of the object, makes sense in my head lol

38. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

The only rule of thumb here is that "it looks good for you" :) So there's absolutely no problem with that, nice approach by the way.

It makes sense in mine too heh. No idea why I hadn't thought about auto-adjusting the AA after applying freeze-rotation-and-scale, I think it's 'coz in my tests I've focused too hard on rotation freezing - which is generally more critical, since in many cases you can simply change the camera scale (if ortho) or z distance (if perspective). If you already have a full scene set up you'll want the scale freezing for newly imported SVGs though.

39. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

If you got problems with the offsetting of open shapes, fear not - both RageTools and RageSpline are getting a minor update to remediate the situation, while keeping the improved outline size algorithm that Keely developed. Should be up in the asset store in the next couple days.

On a second note, today we had a nice update on RageTools Pro. We've fixed many issues with the bone magnet and decay is now properly calculated after offsetting the colliders position. Last but not least, we've added a nice visual feedback for the influence on the shape points - red is 100%, blue is 0%, purple shade is somewhere in-between these values. Check it out:

Attached Files:

40. pvloon

pvloon

Hi,

I recently bought RageSpline and I'm loving it so far. The tech is impressive and the API is amazing.

Anyway, I will probably buy RageTools in the near future when I'm more into the game I'm creating. I would like to ask a silly question though. It seems than one of the features, the adaptive AA scheme (Which was one of the reasons to buy this), can be implemented with just 2 lines of code:

rageSpline.SetAntialiasingWidth(start_aa * Camera.main.orthographicSize / start_zoom); //ok, 4 lines. 2 lines to get the start_aa and start_zoom
    rageSpline.RefreshMesh(false, false, false);

It seems so simple and effective I wonder why it's not even in there out of the box. Am I missing something? AA Would be one of the reasons to get this, but this approach seems to work perfect. Have you got a faster algorithm to regenerate AA or something?

EDIT: Nevermind, after watching video I see it does a bit more than just the AA.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  41. keely

keely

Hijacking the thread. I would love to see screenshots/demos/etc of the cool stuff people have done with the API. You got anything?

42. pvloon

pvloon

I'm building a runtime editor. I have only been working on it for 1-2 days, so I really haven't got much to show yet, but much of the code is in place and it was amazing how fast and smooth everything went. The API is very clean, and provides exactly the functions you need. I came from an SDK with a horrible API. This really was a delight.

I will make sure to show some screens / demos when I got enough to show :)

Edit: Made me think, would people be interested in a runtime RageSpline editor? If so I might polish it up a lot and place it on the asset store.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  43. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

I have a project and I'm thinking about using RageSpline/RageTools for replacing my characters that comes from flash (that are until now used to be simple 2D graphics ) with characters that are generated mesh from a svg file.

Because characters that do not move or are animated are very boring i need a way to animate thous.
    In which way is RageSpline/RageTools made to help me to accomplish this?

Target Platform IPad(2)

44. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Mi casa su casa! :D

I think I've mentioned that to Keely before, personally my opinion is that with Inkscape being free and as full-featured as it is, it's quite hard to justify buying a new editor for RageSplines. First, the functionality that it provides natively is okay for basic things (and improving on each new version). Second, on the higher end of things, not only you can grab free SVGs assets from many sites on the web, there are ways to export SVG art from Flash and then bring it in with RageTools - another great reason that makes it attractive to developers from what I've gathered. What I think would really help tons would be an extension with a better tesselation scheme (to account for compound shapes - aka holes and intersections) and different shaders that could render overlays and such, while keeping the flexibility of textured polygons. I'd buy this at once and recommend it to the world! :D

45. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Hi Malzbier! Right now you can make switch-type animation (you know, classic animation with one full frame after another, using cuts) with the Standard Unity Animation editor, simply disabling the render for the switching objects in the right frame. That process is quite time-consuming and tedious, so I've designed a component (RageSwitcher) for RageTools Standard which will make this much, much easier. This one shouldn't take long to kick in as well, it's very high on my priority list.

Second but definitely not least is the deformation-based animation type, we'll have a component for that to. We've been working hard (this week was especially dense) on RageMagnet - think about it as a bones system for Vector Art like you'll find in higher-end 2d animation programs, right inside Unity. Some people think we're using Unity standard bones (SkinnedMesh) for that - that couldn't be further from truth. We have a complete new deforming and weighting system completely integrated with the unity editor and the Physx system. RageMagnet does work like a bone with auto-weighting, but it does not move the polygon points, it deforms the much lower-density vector points instead. Converting that to polygons is on the RageSpline turf and we provide plenty of options for you to control how often those polygons are updated and how many of them you'll have in your object. Just today Sandro coded in a higher-level manager to allow applying multiple RageMagnets on the same shape concurrently and with extremely high performance - we're aiming to make it perfectly performant on an iPad2, of course. For the record, switch-type animations make zero impact on your performance in comparison to just having one RageSpline object (ok, let me coin the term RageSprite first hand :)) on screen.

Aside from the screenshots in this thread, you can see a brief example of our tech in action in the RageTools demo/tut video, close to the end. RageMagnet will be part of the more advanced "RageTools Pro" pack, planned to be on closed beta some time later this month.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  46. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Thank you MaDDoX for the nice explanation.

Thats sounds what I'm looking for
    I have a question of the handling of the animation and import.

I have a animation a guy riding a slide.
    The animation is ca 380 frames long.
    Whats about the file size and the resources that needed to load up all the meshes for the 380 frames.
    And for the importing: Is there a batching tool in the pack to import multiple files at once ? (or a function to call via script that can import the files)
    Importing multiple animations of 380 frames and more is not funny if i have to import one by one.

Greetings Malzbier

47. pvloon

pvloon

I think you got it wrong what my goal is. I am not trying to replace inkscape or anything to make SVG art, I am building something so users can make vector graphics within your game. Take the example game of RageSpline for instance (Uphill rage). Wouldn't it be awesome if users could make their own levels withing the game? RageSplines make for some excellent level editors, I believe.
    I agree with your pointl, trying to replace the current editors won't work.

48. goat

goat

This sounds interesting. I've animated in Anime Studio 8 Pro easily and it beats doing sprite based animation sequences by manually drawing the cells.

Will your tools import and convert .anime characters and we animate directly in Unity?

49. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

I have seen that some of your tools are only coming to RageTools pro , but i cant find any other information about the RageTools pro package.
    What the proximity release date , what are included and whats the price?

@P v loon
    Take a look at this, that should be a good base for what you are looking :)
    http://ragespline.com/api-example-simple-run-time-editor/

50. goat

goat

So I've looked at this and it's a nice beginning. So for now I would export a sequence of vector art.