Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[v2.0 soon] Racing Game Starter Kit - Easily create racing games!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ian094, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Ian094

Ian094

Note: The 2.0 update is a work in progress and will be released as soon as possible!

RGSK_Logo_1_as_black_bg.png

ASSET STORE LINK

Car Demo | Motorbike Demo | Offroad Demo
    YouTube | Documentation

The Racing Game Starter Kit is an easy to use asset for creating racing games.

It includes a smart AI system to race against, car/motorbike physics and a complete racing system with 7 different race types - Circuit,
    Lap Knockout, Time Trial, Speed Trap, Checkpoint, Elimination & Drift.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  2. Ian094

Ian094

v 1.0.1 is now Live!

Additions :
    • Slipstream capability

Fixes :
    • Minor bug fixes
    • Improved AI

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  3. CoderPro

CoderPro

Could you upload webplayer version 1.0.1 to test it ?

samtourus92 likes this.
  4. Ian094

Ian094

Hey CoderPro, the current web demo is v1.0.1

5. Ian094

Ian094

v1.0.2 is nearly done and will include plenty of new features.

One of the main improvements will be the AI. They will be much smarter & competitive. Their behavior will be highly customizable as well.

6. CoderPro

CoderPro

After test demo, i thing:

1. Your "Wrong Way" message is showing too fast. I think it will better if that message show after delay time that user want.
    2. The avoidance AI still not good, i still can be collision with other cars in some case.
    3. And hope you make AI component are different with physics component, so if i don't want to use your physics component that i still can use my physics component.

7. Ian094

Ian094

1. The minor wrong way detection bug is fixed in v1.0.2

2. Like i said in my last post, the AI is greatly improved. Avoidance is better and overall randomness of each AI so they don't seem too robotic following the track way-points.

3. Compatibility with other physics packages such as Edy's Vehicle Physics will definitely be included in later updates.

Attached Files:

• AI.png
      AI.png
      File size:
      37.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  8. toto2003

toto2003

i bought this asset, and it implement exactly what i need for my racing game. save lot of time. i still play with it tho, and wish to had better physics when it come to non flat terrain , like i try to put a cube as a hill but the vehicle just cant go further. could you fix that in future?
    cheers

9. Ian094

Ian094

Hey @toto2003, thanks for the support. I'm happy to hear that the racing game starter kit has saved you a lot of time!

I've been working on the car physics all day today and managed to make lots of improvements to it. All these new features will be available in v1.0.2 which will be live soon(probably sometime next week).

Meanwhile, i think a quick fix would be by increasing the WheelCollider's forward friction stiffness.

10. Atzig

Atzig

11. Ian094

Ian094

Currently, It wont work out of the box with RCC. I'm working on adding support for other vehicle physics packages so in the near future EVP & RCC will be fully compatible.

12. Ian094

Ian094

v 1.0.2 has just been submitted for review. It will most probably be up sometime next week.

Here are some of the changes in v 1.0.2 :

•Improved AI (New behavior)
    •Improved car physics
    •Boost, steer helper, traction & steering wheel options added to Car_Controller.cs
    •Brakezones depreciated (AI know when to brake)
    •Multiple camera views
    •More template cars (F1 cars & sports cars)
    •Cars now load from Resources/PlayerCars folder

Some screenshots :

Attached Files:

13. Ian094

Ian094

The web demos on the first post have been updated to v 1.0.2

14. toto2003

toto2003

awesome! going to try that rrrright away. thanks for the fast update

15. Ian094

Ian094

Great, thanks for the support. Future updates will include even better features.

I will post once v1.0.2 goes live.

16. Ian094

Ian094

v1.0.2 is now live!

17. Ian094

Ian094

Speedometers will be included in the next version : speedometer.png

18. eightmode

eightmode

I've been using the kit for the past couple of weeks and absolutely loving it, really easy to use - looking forward to this next update too.

I thought i'd throw out some ideas for features - these are just my thoughts/suggestions, i'm still learning programming so i don't know what may or may not be possible! Apologies for the wordiness.

Time trial, Rally or point to point race types. Some form of Championship style of play too, with points received for your race position in the same spirit of real world championships.

Arcade style countdown timers as seen in games like ridge racer - you race against other AI, but you also have a countdown timer that has added time when you hit checkpoints throughout the track, if the timer runs out before you finish it's game over.

Texture/surface manager - Like your footstep asset, how about something that emulates the slipping effects of gravel traps, grass on the side of the race track, even dirt and snow tracks plus generate particles that accompany the texture you're on.

Braking - The braking system works nicely but the AI can struggle with tight corners following long straights. It can be amended by tweaking the settings but that effects the AI trackwide - what about an option to set path waypoints with an optimum for the car's to match/slow down to? eg: an AI car is at high speed coming towards a corner, the raycast following the path hits a waypoint stating a slower speed and the AI brakes to meet this, you could set a few points ahead of a tight curve to ease a car's speed. If there's no optimum speed present at a point, the AI assumes everything's is fine and continues as normal.

Units - When setting engine torque, weight etc, could you apply labels to the value?, nM or lb-ft for torque, kg or lbs for weight etc. I've been presuming they've been metric measurements.

Keep up the great work with the kit, it's already making life easier when rigging race tracks.

Ian094 likes this.
  19. Ian094

Ian094

Hey @eightmode. It's great to know that your loving the kit. Thanks for the support!

- More race types such as the ones you've mentioned will be included in future versions. I am currently working on adding Time Trial, it might just be included in v1.0.3

- I like that idea. I was thinking of adding a race type like that in future versions. Similar to the Checkpoint Race in NFS but with AI.

- It's funny that you bring that up because I was actually working on that feature. It will definitely be included in the next version! Each wheel will detect what ground surface it's on and generate particles/sound depending on the surface texture.

- The AI's braking system will be improved. By tweaking the settings (both on the Car_Controller.cs & OpponentControl.cs), you can easily achieve different AI behaviors for your cars.

- I can look into adding unit labels to give more precision when setting up a car.

Thanks again for the support.

eightmode likes this.
  20. sathya

sathya

Hi @Intense_Gamer94,
    Package looks interesting. Liked the Demo. Can I use this package with other car physics plugins ? or is it tightly integrated with your physics engine ?. I would like to use more realistic car engine with your racing system. How well is this supported. If this package is fully functional with other car physics plugins I will definitely make the purchase ASAP. Thanks in advance.

21. Ian094

Ian094

Hi @sathya,

Currently, other vehicle physics packages are not supported out of the box so you will have to make a lot of tweaks, especially for the AI.

However, support for vehicle physics like Edy's & RCC will be included in future versions.

Thanks for your interest.

22. sathya

sathya

Hi @Intense_Gamer94,
    We are using Randomation unity package for car physics. Can you add support to this as well if its feasible.

We are looking for a good racing system as of now. Your package looks promising.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  23. Ian094

Ian094

Sure, I'll look in to adding support for Randomation. A lot more features will also be included in future updates so look out for them too.

Thanks.

24. lazygunn

lazygunn

I grabbed this a week or so ago and found it extremely entertaining, the opponent ai could be given a lot of character, but to echo the above and through no fault of your own as it's a rather focused thing, I found the car physics lacking and would live to see solid randomation support in there, it's a very flexible meaty system with arcade handling that reflects your ai approach very well for what I'd consider to be entertainig driving games

So yes another call for randomation support since I'd probably immediately get to work with this thing

Randomation can take inputs from the ai as simple normalised axis, -1 1 turning and similar for acceleration and braking. I didn't implement this myself because I didn't want to cross-code with your work.

Other possible suggestions are traffic ai (dynamic way point chosing and heavy rule following) and combat ai (less reliant on waypoints, more environmental awareness), but these are quite different from what you have and I wouldn't see them as priority

Being able to split the ai and physics so we can put in our own physics models is I'd say the main thing however, this wouldn't just go for randomation but also edys and I assume unitycar too although I haven't tried that one

Ian094 likes this.
  25. Ian094

Ian094

Hey @lazygunn, thanks for your support.

I will definitely be adding support for Randomation vehicle physics sometime soon.

I think traffic ai is a really cool idea especially for street racing type games. I'm not so sure how well other traffic AI packages such as iTS would work but I could try and look into creating a traffic ai system that would work well with this kit.

The next version (v1.0.3), is almost out. The main changes will be :
    • Wheel surface detection which will let you set different sounds & particles depending on the ground's texture
    • Speedometers using UGUI.

Thanks again.

26. elijahrockshout

elijahrockshout

Any chance for the following?
    -Track Select Screen
    -2 to 4 Players Local Split Screen races
    -View a replay of the race that has just finished
    Thanks!

27. lazygunn

lazygunn

A nice fellow is creating a decent way to use the easyroads3D waypoint system atm, not sure when it will be submitted but it might be a good starting point as it will do a search for cars needing specific routes and you kind of already have the code for a lot of traffic behaviour, you just need a bit more constrained a ruleset for any car not actively part of the action (stopping at lights, stopping at obstructions, only trying to navigate obstructions if lanes are clear or 'panic' and so on)

I've been looking high and low for pretty much exactly what you mentioned, a traffic system that can function believably while some cars are a bit more active, and acting as aggressors, racing opponents or even police cars or other emergency services. Not really for something like GTA, more like a point to point that can pass through towns and cities and maybe offer several ways to get through, as well as cars on highways.

I'm probably going to be using the Ghosttown tool for 3ds max to create urban areas which should soon be providing its own methods for generating suitable waypoints for roads and junctions - being able to support these along with forthcoming easyroads schema would be pretty amazing really - ghosttown has automatic junctions and great procedural citybuilding tools but i think easyroads3d would be much better for highways and the like. I dont know if you know them but ive used megashapes and track buildr to good result to create more crazy seeming road tracks which is probably why i'm so keen on Randomation support as it really suits crazy car driving

28. Ian094

Ian094

Hi @elijahrockshout ,

- A track select screen will be included most probably when I add more demo tracks but I can help you add it if you want. It's really simple.

- I was thinking of adding multiplayer support as an add-on in a future update. I didn't think of local split screen races but will consider it.

- Replays & ghost cars will definitely be added in an upcoming version.

29. Ian094

Ian094

@lazygunn I have heard of Ghosttown before, I guess it would be a great tool for creating towns to race in.

I've used TrackBuildR and in my opinion, it's the best way to create race tracks in Unity. Never used Megashapes though.

Randomation does have crazy & fun car driving physics :). I tried the web demo a while ago and loved it! I will really be looking in to adding full support out of the box.

Thanks.

30. pixxelbob

pixxelbob

Hey this is a really nice asset, has real potential.
    I'm sure it would be great to add more features to the asset and I'm not saying that doesn't happen.

Personally I think the AI still needs a bit of work. I really appreciate the time you're investing and I know you've just made some improvements to the AI.

For me it still a little wooden they all follow the path quite rigidly with little variation, it needs to behave a bit more realistically, at the moment it never makes mistakes.
    Obviously it's the computer so ultimately knows the perfect route around the track, however it needs behave like a human player as much as possible (I'm not saying this is easy to implement AI is freaking hard to get right).

Things I'd like to see...

* Going too hot into corners
    * going to slow into corners
    * over & under steering
    * spinning out
    * taking a completely different line
    * crashing
    * avoiding other cars and objects.

From what I can tell there is some logic for avoiding things, at the moment the path the AI is following is very authoritative, so even if you're trying to barge the AI out the way it doesn't budge from it's path. It could swerve to avoid, slow down or even spin out.

Additionally different skill level AI would be awesome, eg. Rookie, Semi-Pro, Pro.

Just a couple of minor issue i've noticed:
    * I think there's an issue with the cars where they become begin to raise up above the ground:
    (look at shadows)

* Wireframe shows on UI

Hope my comments offer constructive feedback.
    It's a wonderful asset and as others have said it's a real timesaver, worth every cent.

Thanks
    PixxelBob

31. Ian094

Ian094

Hey @pixxelbob, thanks for your support & constructive feedback.

The AI aren't perfect but I believe they'll get there. By tweaking the settings both on the OpponentControl.cs & Car_Controller.cs you can easily achieve different AI behaviors for your cars.

In a future update, i'll be sure to include AI difficulty levels as you suggested.

The car doesn't actually float above the ground, the issue is with the angle of the shadow.

I'm not exactly sure why wireframes shows on the UI but I'll let you know if I find out. I doubt that's an issue with the kit though.

Thanks.

32. Ian094

Ian094

v1.0.3 has just been submitted for review.

The main additions are :
    • Wheel surface detection
    • Speedometer UI support

Edit : v1.0.3 is now live!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  33. jyp7202

jyp7202

Hi there. I'm very much interested in buying this. I have one question. How easy would it be once I purchased this to add functionality that allows players to be able to choose what map or stage they would like to race on?

Thank you.

34. Ian094

Ian094

Hi @jyp7202, it would be very easy to add that functionality.

I can help you implement it if you want.

I'll be sure to include track selection in a future update.

Thanks.

35. jyp7202

jyp7202

This is amazing. I am sold. I am buying a copy of this kit very soon, and yes I may need your help. Good work on this kit.

36. Ian094

Ian094

That's great, contact me if you need any help.

Thanks for your support.

37. reverrb

reverrb

I'm planning on buying this asset ASAP. My main concern is will I be able to create other race types apart from the ones that come with the package? (circuit & lap knockout)

38. Ian094

Ian094

Hi @reverrb

Only Circuit & Lap Knockout race types are featured at the moment but I will definitely be adding more race types such as Time Trial, Checkpoint, Sprint, Speed Trap in later updates.

Thanks.

39. reverrb

reverrb

Ok, but is it possible via scripting to create my own additional racetypes using your package?

40. Ian094

Ian094

Yeah, it's possible to create your own additional race types.

All scripts are well commented so extending this kit won't be very complicated.

41. Atzig

Atzig

Mobile input doesn't seem to work for me, everything is named correctly and has the UIButton component attached, mobile controls are enabled etc. but the cars just don't respond to the button press. Any ideas why?

42. Ian094

Ian094

Hi @Atzig, are you getting any errors in the console?

Mobile controls will work properly if correctly set up.

Make sure you've done the following :

1) Add the UIButton.cs to your button.
    2) Make sure the name of the UI Button match in the FindUI() method.
    3) Select "Mobile" as the InputType in your PlayerControl component.

Also, make sure that you have an EventSystem and the UI Button's "Input Sensitivity" isn't set to 0.

43. Atzig

Atzig

Yeah, everything is setup correctly, still nothing.

44. Ian094

Ian094

My guess is that it's something small causing this.

Check if there is a panel, image or any other UI element on top of your UI Button - this could be blocking input.

Also, check if the UI Buttons are actually being assigned to your PlayerControl component under "Mobile Control Settings".

Let me know how it goes.

45. Atzig

Atzig

Still nothing, buttons can be pressed, so there's nothing blocking it. And when the editor is paused, everything is assigned properly. The cars just don't seem to respond, is there an OnClick event that needs to be added to the UI buttons?

46. Ian094

Ian094

No, there's no OnClick event needed.

I just tried adding mobile input to one of my cars and everything's working fine.

I'm not so sure what could be causing these issues for you at the moment.

Which version do you have?

47. Atzig

Atzig

1.0.2, I had some performance issues with 1.0.3. I'll try it again and let you know how it goes.

48. Ian094

Ian094

Ok, the reason why you are having mobile input issues is because in v1.0.2, you will see that MobileContol() is only called if the current platform is not the Editor, Standalone or WebPlayer. Basically, mobile controls will only work on mobile devices.

To change this, simply remove the "#if UNITY_EDITOR || UNITY_WEBPLAYER || UNITY_STANDALONE" so that MobileControl() will be called each frame regardless of the current platform

I think your performance issues with v1.0.3 originate from the Wheels.cs component. Try using "Single Material" mesh surface detection. Eventhough this will only support track meshes with one texture, it will save you some frames.

49. Atzig

Atzig

I've already tried it on a mobile device, doesn't work. I tried deleting that line as well but nothing changed. In 1.0.3 I removed the wheel scripts altogether, which improves performance but mobile input still doesn't work. So I figured it must be something wrong with the car set-up and reconfigured a car or two and the result is the same, mobile input just isn't working for me. I really have no idea why it isn't working.

EDIT: It's working in some scenes, not others.

EDIT: I figured it out, after enabling mobile controls, the player car needs to be reassigned to the Race Manager, not sure why that is.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  50. zugsoft

zugsoft

Hello,
    I tried your Demo and F1 demo, the physics is not good, it's not real, the feeling is too bad for me.
    You can do better.
    For the moment I can't buy your Asset.