Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions from a beginner.

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by AlexThane37, Mar 20, 2017.

1. AlexThane37

AlexThane37

Hi. My name is Alex and I always wanted to try my hand at game creation. I'm good with sci-fi fantasy writing, 2D art and digital art, especially with drawing characters. I am interested in eventually making a 2D RPG/Beat 'Em Up hybrid. For me, the most difficult part is learning how to program. creating the flying, throwing energy attacks, grabbing and throwing enemy animations will be a big headache, as those are big animation aspects of the game. The hypothetical game would consist of 2D characters (with Sprite sheets) in a semi-realistic style and, and 2D backgrounds with 3D animations (Streets of Rage style movement in the z axis at a fixed angle).

I would like to know if it's possible to do the following in Unity:

-Convert a 3D background as a base into a 2D jpg or png and even if this is allowed.

-Use an asset store fighting engine that by default is 3D and apply the engine to 2D sprites and backgrounds with a fixed camera.

-Mix various assets (i.e. Using assets from 2 different fighting engine at the same time as a base and adding your own assets and code.

If these tasks aren't possible, then it would just be more of a challenge for me to make a game. Thanks for any feedback.

2. ShadyProductions

ShadyProductions

Creating a game from scratch isn't that simple, maybe its better to start small for a beginner.
    Programming is an essential component to creating a game.
    I wouldn't advise trying to merge 3D into 2D because the codes in the assets you'll have to deal with x,y,z and 2D usually only goes with x, y. And there is so much more that comes to see with it.

3. Schneider21

Schneider21

Hi, Alex. Welcome to the forums!

There's not a ton of difference between 2D and 3D. It really is just the one extra axis. In fact, the way Unity handles 2D is to just encourage a fixed Z-axis with orthogonal view. So you may in fact be able to easily use a fighting kit intended for 3D use, but be prepared to have to dig in and modify stuff to suit your needs.

That said, it's worth taking some time to learn the basics of how Unity works along with some elementary scripting. The official tutorials will get you headed in the right direction. A solid idea would be to set your fighting game idea off to the side a bit, and as you go through learning, picture how each bit of knowledge you're acquiring will apply to what you want to do with your game. You may end up deciding to go for a smaller game first, or you may decide to jump in and see how it goes. Either way, realize you'll never be done learning and don't hesitate to back up to learn more entry-level stuff better if needed.

Good luck!

Kiwasi, DocJ and Dave-Carlile like this.