Search Unity

Question about using the touchpad and clickbutton together.

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by pfreema1, Apr 24, 2017.

1. pfreema1

pfreema1

Hi!

Has anyone had issues with swiping and clicking the button getting crossed up in their game? I'd like to implement a system like this (both on the same main button):

-swipe to switch weapons
    -click to shoot

I was wondering if anyone has used something like this and had issues with a swipe and click getting mixed up when in use? I can't stand it when games have a button system like this that isn't responsive, or swipes when you wanted to shoot, shoots when you wanted to swipe, etc.

2. reedny

reedny

I'm doing the same thing -- using touchpad for swipes and clicks. So far it is working mostly, the main issue is keeping a click where the user's finger slips from being seen as a swipe. Clearly you don't want a player to try to switch weapons and start blasting away.

I started with the code from the GVR demo (GoogleVR\Demos\Scripts\ScrollingUIDemo\PaginatedScrolling\PagedScrollRect.cs) and have modified it as I test with different use cases for the acceleration and swipe distance.

3. pfreema1

pfreema1

Very cool! I've been trying to think of other ways to have the user switch weapons. Currently my AppButton is a teleporter so that's not gonna work.

I feel like a misfire of the swipe/click would be an immersion killer so I may hold out and maybe another idea for weapon switching will come to me.

4. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

You could define time durations for long clicks or double clicks. I have done something similar in an almost complete asset for daydream that will have this and it works well. Obviously the remote only has 2 buttons that developers can use but you can effectively turn it into 6 buttons with doing this.

The asset for daydream will be very similar to the apple tv one in my signature if your curious about it before its released.