Search Unity

Question about the Material "Enable Instancing" question.

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by sgower, Aug 20, 2017.

1. sgower

sgower

Hello, I was noticing that even though I had a lot of objects with the same material, GPU instancing wasn't turning on in my project. I poked around a bit and noticed that "Enable Instancing" wasn't checked for the material I was using, and turning this on caused some batching to start. A couple questions:

1. Just curious: Is there any reason to leave this unchecked? My plan is to check this for all my materials, but it seem like the fact that there is an option must mean there must be some scenarios where it is best to leave this unchecked.

2. Has anything actually experience FPS increase with GPU instancing? I've tried this 2-3 times using various versions of Unity, and when I see that batching is happening, I never see even the slightest improvement in performance. It's supposed to help right? It's a scam! If not, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

2. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Instancing does only help you if you draw the same mesh a lot at the same time.
    In that case it's more efficient to do it via instacing.
    Inscancing has some overhead so it's not recommended to do do it with every material / object.