Search Unity

Question about panels.

Discussion in '2D' started by Five0GT, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Five0GT

Five0GT

I would like to be able to switch between a list of buttons. The list will be a type of moves, and i would like to be able to switch between each type in the game to choose the right move. Was thinking panels, but I don't know how to set it up. I know how to make panels, I need to know where to learn how to switch between panels or lists or something to do what I want to do.

2. larku

larku

3. Five0GT

Five0GT

41 is to many to read through. I want to have a move list, like punch kick body slam. Each list or panel or whatever has to have each type. For example switch from the list of punches to a kist of kicks or a list of slams.

4. Five0GT

Five0GT

Panel tutorial doesn't show me what I want to do.

5. larku

larku

Sorry, but in all honesty, you need to go through the relevant tutorials - they will show you everything that can be done with Unity UI. The best way to learn what you need is to follow some of these tutorials.

If you don't want to do that and would prefer to get 'micro' help here for each problem you encounter, then you'll need to ask a more specific question, explain what you have tried, show what you have got, etc and then ask for specific help about which parts are not working.

Avoiding going through the tutorials is going to cost you a lot more time in the long run.

6. Terko

Terko

Hey guys, there is an asset that does exactly what you are trying to do. It's called Woo Panels. Here is the forum thread. It was used on a big projects like Maguss, so you can learn a lot from it! Have fun! ;)

7. LiterallyJeff

LiterallyJeff

I'm sorry but "buy this $55 asset" is not a solution to this question. This is a support forum. What he is asking for is doable with basic knowledge of Canvas components, and @larku was correct in directing him to the tutorials.

@Five0GT you can accomplish panel-swapping using panels, some Toggles to act as buttons to activate/deactivate the panels, and one or more ToggleGroups to automatically handle having just one activated at a time. If you don't know what those things are, there are tutorials about them that you should watch / read. There are manual pages and scripting API pages to show you exactly how they work.

Your question is extremely broad, and I'm doubtful that you'll find someone willing to walk you through the process of creating your UI exactly as you imagine it. You'll never find the perfect tutorial for your specific idea, so you need to watch as many tutorials as you can, and learn to put all the pieces together yourself. Then you can come here with a specific issue, and we can help you find a solution.

8. Terko

Terko

Your advices are great, but put yourself into another person position. When you are in the process of learning - spending even 55$ to learn some good practices is worth, I think. Moreover, to make a decent panel/screen manager you need to spend weeks of development (knowing what exactly to do) which is way more expensive! Asset Store is extremely powerful tool that you should never underestimate!

9. LiterallyJeff

LiterallyJeff

If you think that someone who is just starting to get acquainted with the most basic UI functionality will be able to learn from a fully featured UI asset built for non-programmers, you're kidding yourself.

I've seen you advertise this asset in two threads with "panel" in the title now, and it's simply not appropriate. Borderline spam. We're here to help people learn to build things on their own. So unless someone specifically asks for asset store recommendations, leave the advertisements in the proper subforum.