Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Pull My Tongue [iOS Puzzle Game]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Zilk, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Zilk

Zilk

One year ago I started working on a little idea I had and at the same time learn how to code in C#. So I have made everything in this game myself but am gonna have someone else do sounds and music. Before this I worked at Visual Dreams as the sole artist on games such as Herman the Hermit, Linkies Puzzle Rush and Slam Dunk Basketball. So I was used to Unity but not coding.

Anyway to the game, it is a simple puzzle game for mobile devices that is heavily inspired by games such as Cut the Rope, Pudding Monsters etc. The goal is to drag the chameleons (Greg) tongue through all the stars to the popcorn. I'm just gonna post some screens and gifs so you guys get the idea.

The game is about 80%ish done, I yet have to add some animations, more levels and the final sound and music.

Main Menu

World Select

Ingame Screenshot

Ingame Screenshot 2

Endscreen

Greg Interaction

Gregs animation rig

Thanks for reading!
    //David

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    lardratboy, Mikejmc, Woolooh and 4 others like this.
  2. Zilk

Zilk

I finished up the logo animation and figured I would record a little preview of the game, so here are a video of the logo, menus and the three first levels :)

Hope you like it! :)

3. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Interesting concept David. Thanks for sharing the animation rig setup. That's some useful information.
    How is the tongue setup, rigging wise?
    Is the character rig in a stand alone 2D package (spine, spriter) or did you rig a 2D character in a 3D package? Thanks for the additional follow up information.
    Animations for the menu look nice.

4. Zilk

Zilk

The tongue is controlled with linecasts to have it colliding against the tacks. It is then rendered with a custom line renderer with two sprites at each end and the start point follows a spline curve that is attatched to the mouth joints on the character.

The character itself is a 2D character created onto 3D planes that is rigged, skinned and animated in Maya and thereafter brought into Mechanim to get the multi-directional blending etc.

Here are some pics showing of the character rig.

From the side showing the different planes and sorting order.

Wireframe for the meshes, a lot of polys to get smooth skinning.

Joint setup

Texture sheet showing the different parts separation

Mister-D and theANMATOR2b like this.
  5. RJproz

RJproz

Looks cool;) Great animations and great concept. I hope you also upload it for Web, to get more recognition.

6. Zilk

Zilk

I finished up some character interactions today. Now you can scratch his back, poke both eyes and pull on his tail. Just for S***s and giggles :)

Mister-D likes this.
  7. Zilk

Zilk

Continued working on some animations that have been missing. Still have some effects and tweaks left but here is a work-in-progress of when Greg gets a little to close to the zappers :)

Please forgive the heavy gif banding..

8. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Love the x-ray effect. Well done.
    Not sure if the darkened skin effect looks good though. Kind of hard to tell with the gif bands.
    Maybe have him cough out a puff of smoke afterwards. :)
    Great character style.
    The zapper may look kinda like a water spray due to the light green coloring, the sparks which look a little like water spray, and the uniform height the zaps keep. Maybe a little extra peak and valley randomly would increase the electric look, and changing the green to an electric blue shade.

9. Zilk

Zilk

theANIMATOR2b: Thanks for the feedback :) I'm gonna rework the zapper a bit to get it a bit more random and improve the particles, the color is mostly the gif playing tricks. Also the smoke puff idea was awesome!

Here is a screenshot of how it looks when he is "burnt". Gonna take a extra look at that texture and see if I can get it a little bit more like soot or something.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  10. Zilk

Zilk

The finished Zapped animation with effects. I think it ended up quite nice.

Watch youtube video for better quality

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    Griffo likes this.
  11. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Zapped animation looks great.
    Funny - his eyes remind me of the baby character on the 90s sit-com Dinosaur.
    Not Da Momma.
    Has a lot of 'character' in the character even without the quality animations. Nice.

Zilk likes this.
  12. Zilk

Zilk

Hah! I remember that show, loved it as a kid :D

13. Zilk

Zilk

I have for a long time felt that the tongue was too stiff before the player starts pulling the tongue. I never figured out how to fix it though, but tonight I got a flash and fixed it in 10 minutes :D

To the small victories!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  14. Nicrom

Nicrom

Great concept and graphics. Do you plan to release it for Android or only for IOS?

15. Zilk

Zilk

I'll release it for both but not sure yet if I'll be able to get it out on both at the same time. Might have time for that during the App Store review, it runs on both right now but I need to implement some other SDKs for Android.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  16. Instability

Instability

This looks absolutely gorgeous! The creature' animations are cute and very detailed!

Not sure if this would add much, but have you thought of making the tongue not only straight, but allow it to bend? So if the player jiggles the tongue you could see waves propagate through the tongue. Just a gimmick.

Zilk likes this.
  17. Zilk

Zilk

I have been thinking about it but it would require a total redesign of the tongue code. I'm gonna add it to my "Would-be-awesome" list and think about it in the back of my head. I might find a simple work-around and it could look really cool :)

18. Zilk

Zilk

Working on levels creation right now so not much to post updates about. I however made a little gif showing the creation of Greg from sketch to animated ingame, just for fun :)

davem250 and theANMATOR2b like this.
  19. Zilk

Zilk

I added a new puzzle element today so I can build a bit more varied puzzles. The gum, it can hold the tongue so players can do other stuff. With this I can build puzzles in several "stages".

And the first level that will introduce it, gonna add a simple tutorial text but you get the point. The button activates the slider so it can be adjusted, therefor the tongue needs to hold it down with the help of the gum.

Follow me!

XCO and davem250 like this.
  20. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Great addition.
    Do chameleon really like popcorm? :)
    This looks really fun.

21. Zilk

Zilk

Who doesn't like popcorn is my question :D Jk, this chameleon is just not like other chameleons (the real explanation is that insects that they usually eat look gross ;) )

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  22. Zilk

Zilk

I'm still working on level design and is therefor bumping into puzzle elements that needs to be improved and extended along the way. Yesterday I added a locked state to sliders so they can be activated with buttons.

23. Zilk

Zilk

It's been a little slow since last update. I haven't finished anything visual but mostly extra things such as implementing needed plugins and made more levels. I did however finish the icon for the 3rd world, the bedroom.

#screenshotsaturday

24. Zilk

Zilk

Finished up the 5th worlds icon and background as well. Only one icon and background left and that whole thing is done :)

25. Zilk

Zilk

I added timed stars so now I'm gonna start designing a few levels with those.

Mister-D likes this.
  26. Zilk

Zilk

I started working on a new puzzle element, a balloon that can be inflated by tapping it and deflated by holding it. Now I just need to make it pretty ;) Gonna try to make it a bit bouncy by rigging and animating it.

27. Zilk

Zilk

I made the first level for the balloons with included tutorial. Tonight I might get some time to finish up the animations to make them come alive a little more :)

28. Jussumman

Jussumman

This is such a great looking different from the others kids game. Very nice work. I didn't think anyone works on games that weren't rip offs of Angry Birds!

29. Zilk

Zilk

Jussumman: Haha, thanks! :)

Finished the balloon rig today so now I can start to animate it :)

30. Zilk

Zilk

First implementation of the balloon animations. Gonna do some tweaks and make it feel a bit less stiff but I just had to show it :D

31. LBrocklehurst

LBrocklehurst

Oof, that looks so nice. Loving the little effects when you wrap around them.

32. Schneider21

Schneider21

I am loving this. Clearly has potential to be the next Cut the Rope, Where's My Water, etc...

33. Zilk

Zilk

Thanks guys! :) Glad you like it

34. Schneider21

Schneider21

When can I play it, please?

35. Zilk

Zilk

I'm hoping to release it in a month or two. Have a bunch of levels to finish up, an intro and gotta get the final music and audio in :)

I'm gonna have some kind of closed beta when all the levels are done though.

36. Schneider21

Schneider21

Well color me interested in the beta. I need something to do when I'm supposed to be working, or-- heaven forbid-- working on my own game!

37. Zilk

Zilk

Haha, well I'll make a post here when I'm starting the beta so you can join in :)

38. Haagndaaz

Haagndaaz

This looks brilliant! Love the attention to detail with the rigging effects and so on. Great job!

39. Daybreaker32

Daybreaker32

One of the most interesting WIP!
    Keep up the good work!

40. Zilk

Zilk

Haagndaaz: Thanks man! :)
    daybreaker93: Glad you like it :)

Tonight I added the final touches to the balloons, now they have physic simulated strings if they move, react to the tongue and can be bounced a bit if you hit them hard.

Haagndaaz and RavenOfCode like this.
  41. Schneider21

Schneider21

Zilk likes this.
  42. XCO

XCO

Aaaassssssdorable!

Zilk likes this.
  43. Zilk

Zilk

I got bored and added some interaction with the popcorn steam. Just for fun :)

44. Zilk

Zilk

Poppable balloons are now ingame, just gotta make some levels for them :)

45. Zilk

Zilk

I have been working with a lot of boring stuff lately so not much to post. Finished up the fourth worlds levels, polished up some animations, fixed up some UI that didn't look that good etc. I at least finished up the latest version of the main menu today :)

Next I'm gonna try to animate a short little 10-15 second intro that shows when starting level 1.

46. Zilk

Zilk

I "finalized" the intro for my game tonight! Might do some tweaks but I would say this is 99% complete :)

47. Zilk

Zilk

I have started updating the solution system now and it is a total headache but now I'm at least halfway there :) Now solutions for the level can be activated and it shows the player where the elements should be before moving onto the next step.

Whenever I play the level in the editor and collect all stars the solution is saved to disk and then loaded on device when the player wants to show the solution.

Now I just gotta go through all levels and make sure it's working for all the puzzle elements :)

48. Megablaze

Megablaze

Very cool, I love how lively Greg is, and it seems like a fun puzzle game.

49. Zilk

Zilk

Started working on the levels for the last world and added curved sliders. They are built with a spline so I can make whatever shape I like. Might be fun :)

50. Zilk

Zilk

I'm working away, almost "done". Only 10 more levels for World 5. Added removeable spikes to cram out a few more levels :)

Woolooh and Kellyrayj like this.