Search Unity

Publish your Unity 5.4 game onto a new Facebook Games platform for Windows

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SaraCecilia, Aug 18, 2016.

1. SkobbejakGames

SkobbejakGames

Hi, we already signed up on Monday, but I just put in another submission as we just put our new planned game on Steam Greenlight and wanted to include it as well and we also just wanted to make sure that all the other info was correct.

To any Facebook reps: Sorry for the double sub, we hope that this explanation finds you. Thanks for starting this amazing program, we are looking forward to it :)

2. Gord10

Gord10

I have got two questions:
    1. How do we gain money? Does Facebook automatically show ads in free games and we don't need to do anything?
    2. Is mature content allowed? I am going to publish a compilation of my interactive horror stories and they are certainly for mature people (torture, violence, etc.).

kaiyum likes this.
  3. Meltdown

Meltdown

Did anybody hear back from Facebook yet regarding this?

4. creat327

creat327

nope, not me at least

5. p0w1nd

p0w1nd

I applied a few weeks ago but haven't got any response either.

6. 00christian00

00christian00

So is this something like online games, sort of replacement for unity webplayer with similar limitations or it is also aimed at full desktop games sort of steam, but with facebook integration?

7. Tzan

Tzan

Its both standalone Steam style and WebGL.
    I copied this from the first page:

00christian00 likes this.
  8. 00christian00

00christian00

Thanks, I missed that post.

9. I_Am_DreReid

I_Am_DreReid

I'll try this shizz later, sounds exciting.

10. 00christian00

00christian00

By the way, does this mean that soon the facebook sdk will be integrated in Unity for all platforms?
    If you implement their api internally it makes sense to expose it to other platforms too.

11. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

No, it will only be available for the new Facebook build target, ie, for the Facebook Desktop app and WebGL canvas builds.

12. Meltdown

Meltdown

Any timeline when these new platforms/SDK's will be available. Facebook/Unity has been awfully quiet about this and nobody has heard anything about beta testing.

13. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

One of the requirements was an NDA. It could be that the people who have heard aren't allowed to say anything.

14. Xepherys

Xepherys

Sure, but think about what Facebook is and what people playing games on Facebook are apt to think of as acceptable. A Playstation gamer isn't going to tolerate ads in the middle of Uncharted. A Facebook gamer is used to/accepting of such things. Just like mobile platforms are, in many respects, different than console/PC platforms, social media platforms are different still.

This has nothing to do with IP and everything to do with what is already accepted law. You cannot copyright elements of gameplay, only a single, complete product. I could remake Halo, with different skins and called it Malo and have a dude hologram and Bungie/Activision couldn't do much. Look at Words with Friends - Scrabble is IP of Hasbro, but that's only in name. The idea of a game where you build words out of tiles CANNOT be copyrighted. Read this for more:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3546/hey_thats_my_game_intellectual_.php?print=1

15. UNITY3D_TEAM

UNITY3D_TEAM

what about monetization for new platform on facebook ?

kaiyum likes this.
  16. Gameccino

Gameccino

I'm working on the new beta facebook games platform,
    where could I find support? I couldn't find any dedicated thread.

17. kaiyum

kaiyum

Please specify the followings, about this new platform:
    • Market curation
    • Monetization scheme
    • Marketing facilities

UNITY3D_TEAM likes this.
  18. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

I've applied for this before the end of the cutoff date, but i haven't heard anything back. Neither a "no" nor a "yes"

19. UNITY3D_TEAM

UNITY3D_TEAM

are u from india?

20. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

21. shopguy

shopguy

I wonder if we'll finally see decent paid ads/banners for native Windows apps now. That is one thing really lacking, I think because Steam is only really market for PC games and the "free with ads" doesn't really fit them (yet).

If I still had time to make games I'd jump all over this new platform, if for no other reason than it will not be overrun/full... at least for the first few months. Although I doubt they make it public until they have 1000s of titles, so who knows.

22. shopguy

shopguy

They better have an installer like Steam. Downloading and installing native apps is a deal killer for the average user (granted they have to install the installer at least once, so that might also kill this idea).

23. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

Gameroom will install your games for you, so once you hhave Gameroom installed, installing and playing games is a very smooth experience.

You can get Gameroom here: https://www.facebook.com/gameroom/
    And get a Unity version with Gameroom support here: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/games/gameroom

ilmario likes this.
  24. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

This one is based on the b09. Does the b11 have the facebook export or is this a custom one for facebook?

25. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

It is a custom build for Facebook, we currently don't have a b11 build with Facebook support.

kk__games likes this.
  26. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

I'm guessing 5.5f1 will have support for facebook export?

27. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

No. Facebook support will not ship as part of 5.5 - the time to add features to 5.5 has long past. Facebook support will be in 5.6, we only use 5.5 builds to make it available for testing earlier.

kk__games likes this.
  28. UNITY3D_TEAM

UNITY3D_TEAM

when 5.5 releasing?

29. nickerpiggy

nickerpiggy

Darn, now I wish I knew how to make games here, still learning. :p

30. John3D

John3D

On Unity Roadmap it says: Stabilization in progress. Target : Nov 2016

31. UNITY3D_TEAM

UNITY3D_TEAM

unity default facebook sdk crashing for android.Very ery worst sdk we have in unity is facebook sdk .!.its not very friendly sdk for developers .facebook should need to fix first

32. kk__games

kk__games

Hi,
    When we expect unity5.6 ?

33. UNITY3D_TEAM

UNITY3D_TEAM

can u please ask to take a look about facebook sdk .its very bad not friendly .unity editor crashing when we open the sdk !.in editor, and it should be need to seamless.for android and ios

34. shopguy

shopguy

This is looking great, I think it will offer some much needed competition to Steam, and allow for more simple games, made for soft-core gamers. Hopefully I can get in to this after the holidays.

You are right. I'd recommend anyone making Windows game and wanting to support Facebook SDK to roll their own using .NET WebClient. For getting the auth part done, I'd embed a WebBrowser control in the game, then once you have the token you can simply use WebClient and JSON.Net for processing the reply. Way more work than most things Unity, but in the end you'll have a solution that at least works very well. I've done this in a game, but I haven't published the game yet and might never... I'm thinking of cleaning it up and publishing as a library on asset store, unless Unity comes out with native support soon.

35. RichCodes

RichCodes

Can we install the regular 5.5.0 patches over the "5.5.0f3-Facebook"?

I'm running into multiple issues in the facebook beta that have been fixed by patches in the "regular" version of Unity.