Search Unity

PSM on Unity 5 initial release ?

Discussion in 'PSM' started by treygner, Sep 30, 2014.

1. treygner

treygner

Hello,

As it has been announced, for the moment there will not be PSM version based on the 4.6.
    We really would like to use the new GUI system, the 4.3 has a lot of bugs, and working with different version of Unity for different targets is a pain. So for us, the best path would be to start working with Unity 5 as soon it's available. We have already preordered it.
    So my question is : will the PSM target plateform be available right when the 5 preorder beta will be out? Or will it be in a further release (if so do you have an idea how long after ?)

This is a crucial information for us, as Vita target is really important in our plans. We need to know if we will be able to start working with Unity 5 (or at least 4.6 with the new GUI) and be sure our work will be compatible with the PSM/Vita platform in a short delay.

Thank you

2. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

No, Unity 5 beta/pre-order will not contain PSM support.
    PSM support will be added once we have a final Unity 5.0 release available.
    The actual DevAssistant might not be available on the PS Store from day one, because of the time it takes to finalize the package, publish it etc. We will however try to minimize this delay as much as possible.

3. treygner

treygner

Thank you for the answer, at least we know that it will be available soon after the 5 will be out.

Do you have any informations about the standard vita support (not PSM) ? Is there any chances it will be out before ?

4. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

Information about Unity's support for standard ('native') PSVita (i.e. not PSM) can be found on the official SCE DevNet forum, in the Unity thread (for which you need to be a licensed developer to access).
    That said - I expect there will be a couple alpha/beta versions of our PSVita support before we reach a Unity 5.0 release candidate.

5. PeterD

PeterD

Any news on the update for the Vita version of Unity?

6. mfindlater

mfindlater

After Unity 5 comes out will there be a separate version of Unity 5 for PSM or will it be a module for the "regular" version of Unity 5?

jesusluvsyooh likes this.
  7. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

'Regular' Unity 5 will ship with PSM support - it will not be a separate editor installation like with 4.3.
    But due to the nature of how we provide you with the PSM runtime (through the DevAssistant, which is released on the PS Store) there will always be a delay of about four weeks between the regular release, and the PSM runtime (DevAssistant) being available.
    This will (most likely) also prevent us from supporting the patch releases (unless of course there are critical bugs in the PSM runtime itself) since these are released almost every week.

8. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Can we get access to PSM Unity 5 as part of the Beta?

9. spacefrog

spacefrog

Does that actually mean that Unity PSM will NOT be a seperate license to purchase ? So if i got a Unity 5 PRO license , i'll get the PSM export enabled in Unity Editor ?
    I asked this several times now on various occasions, and the only time i got an explicit YES as response to that question , i got it directly from Andy Touch personally, face to face, but possibly he will not remember me ;-)

Could you please answer this question ?

10. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

Unity for PSM is available as a free add-on. A pro license is only needed to enable pro features, such as the profiler.

11. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Is this still the plan? Not trying push but people are hungry to use new features and updates, much has changed since Unity 4.3 days :)

12. WilcoB

WilcoB

I could really use a build based on 4.6. The new GUI is just way better and multiple assets from the store that would make my work easier require 4.5+

13. bakanekofr

bakanekofr

I too would prefer a 4.6 Unity for PSM. Unity 5 new features are mostly overkill for the Vita.

BTW, just curious but, is Unity 4.6 available on the Vita devkits? (real devkits, not PSM).

blackbird likes this.
  14. blackbird

blackbird

i can only agree with @bakanekofr by the way anybody has an idea how to make assetbundle on vita ...honestly 1 GiB is not enough for my two projects :/

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  15. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Personally I want 5, the new features might be overkill, but the performance improvements will be worth it.

16. spacefrog

spacefrog

I got the gut feeling that PSM export will not be available in the initial V5.0 release ( Unity, please prove me wrong :) )
    As Unity 5 has entered RC state and still no PSM module to be found anywhere ...

17. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Based on the above though, it will probably still be a separate download, but we'll see I think your right that there will be a delay.

18. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

It might be a separate download, but eriQue was pretty clear that...
    Remember there's the "Module Manager" in the Editor now, and I think this is exactly the kind of thing it's for.

19. K1kk0z90_Unity

K1kk0z90_Unity

Looking forward to Unity 5 and its new PSM exporter: the new Unity UI system is essential! :)

20. sama-van

sama-van

Up Up?

Then definitely not a beta version of the PSM into 5.0f2?
    What the point?...
    ....since XboxOne is already available for a while now!

21. bakanekofr

bakanekofr

The PSM build target is not available at all in Unity 5.0 RC3. It was there in previous Unity versions (4.6, I think), but not activated. I suppose we will need a custom Unity installation again for PSM.

BTW, I've upgraded my 2 current WIP projects to Unity 5, can't wait to try them on the Vita!

22. blackbird

blackbird

so guys it will come or not on unity 5 as far as i saw there is no signe for psm to be in unity5 i fear it will be no longer supported

23. karios

karios

Unity 5 final is out! How long till we get the PSM module?

24. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

I can see in shader code references to PSM, so I think it probably will be still, we just need to be patient.

25. karios

karios

Not true. The new standard shader runs great on mobile hardware and your game will look much better with no significant performance penalties. Not to mention the overall bugfixes and optimizations.

26. karios

karios

Are you in the ID@XBOX program? There's your point:)

27. karios

karios

28. Stelitz

Stelitz

from Sony:
    Q: Any plan for releasing "Unity5 for PSM"?
    A: For Unity related questions, please ask Unity.

so Sony says we should ask Unity about Unity 5 for PSM but since PSM is being discontinued this is all very confusing.

edit: nevermind I just read eriQue's post :(

29. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

That's a cookie cutter answer. Unity has no control over PSM. There is always PSN. Please contact your local Sony rep if you wish to find out more.