Search Unity

Ps2D : Photoshop Layers to Unity Sprites [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by cakesauce, Mar 18, 2014.

1. cakesauce

cakesauce

$ForumPost.png

Are you making a 2D game?
    Are you using Photoshop CC to design and export?
    Are you taking forever to re-layout and re-build your sprites in Unity?

(You have to answer yes, or this pitch won't work... ok... ready?)

YES???!!!?!

Ps2D takes your Photoshop layers and arranges them in Unity as sprites.

Skip the lame reassembling phase and go right from designing in Photoshop to animating in Unity.

I've heard enough. Let's do this!

Features
    • pixel perfect layouts
    • preserve layer names and depth
    • import a layer, group, or the whole damn document
    • many flexible options like anchoring, trimming, colliders, and prefabs
    • reads images from a folder
    • reads Unity spritesheets
    • full C# source code included
    • full Javascript source for the Photoshop plugin included

$ForumPostScreenShot.png

Save yourself buckets of time!
    (Large buckets too. Not those small plastic ones that the handle keeps falling off when you fill it with sand.)

See It Work

Links
    Asset Store :: Spoiler Alert! $10 :: Screenshots
    Web Site :: More propaganda :: More pictures
    YouTube Video :: 10 min product demo :: Low energy. Low charisma.
    Support Email requests? comments? problems? help getting setup? lonely?

Heads Up
    • Requires Photoshop CC (14.2.1) and the Generator plugin (that ships with it).
    • Currently only supports the new Sprite Renderers
    • Unity 4.3 - Pro or Free
    • Unity 5.0 - Pro or Personal

Versions
    1.2.0 :: April 1, 2015
    • Unity 5 support
    1.1.0 :: March 31, 2014
    • 2D Toolkit support
    1.0.1 :: March 17, 2014
    • Debuts on the Asset Store
    1.0.0 :: March 14, 2014
    • Oops. False start. Awkwarrrrrd.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    paraself likes this.
  2. beck

beck

This looks really nice, good job!

3. cakesauce

cakesauce

4. cakesauce

cakesauce

1.1 is now live.

5. cakesauce

cakesauce

Now on sale for $10! Hurray!

6. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Looking cool ! How about support NGUI on next update ? It won't be hard I belive :)

7. cakesauce

cakesauce

Thanks man!

I started looking at nGUI a few days ago. Looks like he has his own way of doing depth, anchoring, and nesting. It's impressive actually.

I don't use nGUI personally (yet), so I'm not 100% comfortable with integrating it just yet. I did get basic UISprite layout in place, but I'd have to learn how his anchors and containers work a bit better.

If you needed something today tho... FastGUI is back in active development now. They seem to be the goto component for Photoshop/nGUI integration. It looks like they have deep integration with nGUI (not just sprites). [ Terrible salesmanship to recommend another product, I know :) ] https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/4895

I do use DaikonForge tho, so that's coming soon.

8. cakesauce

cakesauce

Ps2D is on for 69% off (only $3.10) for today only!

"Shop Smart. Shop S Mart."

9. dorukai

dorukai

Would you consider supporting SmoothMoves? It's a 2D skeletal animation system for Unity.
    It seems like it'd be possible to figure out a good initial placement and hierarchy for character bones based on the Photoshop layers and do that initial setup, which the user could use as a starting point, it'd get away from some of the drudge work of rigging the character.

Anyway, this looks _awesome_, and otherwise fits my 2D workflow perfectly. Insta-bought when I got up this morning!

10. cakesauce

cakesauce

I'm not that familiar with SmoothMoves. They've been around a while, so they probably don't use the Unity 2d sprite system eh?

Do they use standard vector3 for the positioning, or do they have their own pixel-based translated coordinates?

Thanks for your purchase. I appreciate it. Ps2D was born out of a real game I was building. Sadly, the game sucked, but the component was great.

Ha!

11. TonyLi

TonyLi

Ps2D looks very useful for 2D animators. I have no need for it right now, but I bought it anyway in appreciation of the funny Asset Store images such as the "Depth" feature and "Whatever. We are over budget." :)

12. cakesauce

cakesauce

Thanks Tony! Putting together the promotional stuff was fun. :)

And thank you to the other 210 people who snagged Ps2D on the "24-Hour Sale".

Going into it, I didn't know what to expect. I figured 20 or 30 people might be interested because it's such a niche asset.

Pleasant surprise. o_O

If Photoshop is part of your work flow (especially for character design), it will save you many hours of boring work (source: guy who thought it was normal to go that slow).

13. taylank

taylank

Our artists ask whether there is any chance this could work with Ps 13.0.1.3?

14. cakesauce

cakesauce

Hi Taylank.

In Photoshop CC 14.2.1 (Sep 2013), Adobe released a new plugin system called Generator. Ps2D plugins into that plugin, so unfortunately, that's the minimum version.

Sorry. :(

http://www.sadtrombone.com/

15. DeepSeaDigital

DeepSeaDigital

Hello, I have used ps2d for a while now and I love it, I have successfully used this plugin in the past but my recent attempts have failed... I have done all of the same things that I normally had done so I don't know what is wrong. There are new compiler errors as you can see in the pic I have attached... Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

16. cakesauce

cakesauce

Heyo,

Something that strikes me as a big odd is the Ps2D component is telling you that the layer is named R-shoulder.png when it should be named "R-shoulder".

What did you name your layers in your PSD doc?

Can you send me your .ps2dmap file via ye olde email (ps2d@stevekellock.com)? I'll take a closer look.

And ya, that compiler error is cryptic. Basically it's saying: omg i can't find an asset in the unity project called "/assets/knight/R-shoulder.png" because it should be known as "/assets/knight/R-shoulder".

Also, you probably know this already: but don't forget (before shipping your app) to put all your chopped up sprites in a sprite sheet to eliminate drawcall shenanigans.

Steve

PS: Post a pic of your assembled knight, it looks like it will be cool!
    PPS: In before: that's what i'm trying to do but your damn component broke.

17. DeepSeaDigital

DeepSeaDigital

knight.png
    Here it is,

I love your plugin because it's pixel perfect from Photoshop, I'm animating my characters with puppet 2d and it makes the pipeline from concept to animation a breeze.

18. cakesauce

cakesauce

Lovely. I would not have the patience to draw and shade with pixels like you have.

Kudos.

19. DeepSeaDigital

DeepSeaDigital

Thanks I appreciate the helpful and timely responses Ps2D-Gary.gif
    A little token of my gratitude

20. cakesauce

cakesauce

Awww. You're welcome little pixel mascot guy. Glad I could help.

21. polycular

polycular

Hi,

I am thinking about buying your asset, but I haven't found out if there is a way to preserve pivot points which are important for turning limbs. Not sure a way I would think would be the artist would make a layer with a point and the same naming convention so it is associated with it. Guess many people would need that feature so I wonder if I just haven't got it from watching the video...
    best,
    Robert

22. cakesauce

cakesauce

Hi Robert,

The short answer is no.

There are facilities to add a parent GameObject to each of your Photoshop layers automatically. You can use these as pivots if your animations, but that's not exactly what you're asking for. You would be assigning your pivots in Unity (which would be defeating your point of the artist handling this stuff).

I've seen other apps allow you to specify nested layers in Photoshop with naming conventions, but I've found that it's complicated. And perhaps maybe stretching what Photoshop should do. (Jury is out on this though)

If you wanted to get super hacky, you could play around with a Layer Mask. You might be able to resize the mask to include extra white space in such a way that it lands the centre point of the graphic to where you want your pivot to be. The trade off (extra invisible pixels to render) is totally not worth it.

=-=-=-

If I may, I recommend you look into 1 of 2 directions:

1. Spine.

It's awesome. Even with it's price tag. So worth it. First class Unity support too. And you don't have to give up your Photoshop environment. Only downside is: you won't have a a use for Ps2D. Wait, I guess that's my downside.

2. Embrace Unity

Use something like Puppet2d, the Unity built-in animations, or some other plugin to do your animations. I'm guessing this is already what you're doing. Have your graphics crew dip into Unity just enough to rig their creations. That part isn't hard.

-=-=-=-

Ps2D makes it easy to import in, but some things are left behind. Your pivot points are not data points that get remembered in that transition (of course). But the other thing is, the import process is "one-off". You don't keep using Ps2D for the same image over and over. You import it once.

You can still change colors and graphics in your Photoshop file, but this has nothing to do with Ps2D. (e.g. the pivot point of an arm would change if you turned into a big beefy arm).

Contact me directly (ps2d@stevekellock.com) if you want to try it first. My gut tells me you need advanced features that Ps2D doesn't provide.

Steve

23. cakesauce

cakesauce

1.2 now supports Unity 5.

24. unicoea

unicoea

It's great, Please notice the picture must set to sprite when it import to unity,then use ps2d to assemble them.Or it will be error happen.

25. vicenterusso

vicenterusso

What are the chances to have uGUI supported too?

26. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Trying out this interesting asset and it is all working apart from I am having trouble getting color images out of PS, when I use the Image Assets option to generate the .png files they are generated fine but most of them come out grey scale, it seems if any of the layers make use of Color Fill then that is ignored when the png file is generated, I have tried merging the layers but still grey, tried jpg as well but no luck, am I missing something?

27. OlafsOsh

OlafsOsh

Is it dead?

28. nicmarxp

nicmarxp

Looks nice if it works! It’s free on the store, but does it work? Latest comment doesn’t seem positive. :(