Search Unity

Property drawers in DLL cause errors

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by TehGM, Aug 28, 2016.

1. TehGM

TehGM

Hi.
    I have a simple property drawer code put in DLL.
    Code (csharp):
    1. [CustomPropertyDrawer(typeof(ToggleButtonAttribute))]
    2. public class ToggleButtonAttributeDrawer : PropertyDrawer
    3. {
    4.    public override void OnGUI(Rect position, SerializedProperty property, GUIContent label)
    5.    {
    6.       ToggleButtonAttribute attr = attribute as ToggleButtonAttribute;
    8.       bool value = property.boolValue;
    9.       string nameString = attr.NameString == null ? label.text : attr.NameString;
    10.       string valueString = value ? attr.TrueString : attr.FalseString;
    12.       Rect btnPos = EditorGUI.PrefixLabel(position, new GUIContent(nameString));
    13.       if (GUI.Button(btnPos, valueString))
    14.          property.boolValue = !value;
    15.    }
    16. }
    At first it worked fine - I dropped DLL in Editor folder and my button was drawn.
    Then at some point I included reference to GUILayout class instead of GUI. I started getting 2 errors.

I reverted changes to the code above, yet the error still happens whenever DLL is in project.

When I delete it, and place the exact same code as a script, it works properly. However starts failing when I drop DLL again - even when I comment out the attributes so the Drawers are not used - DLL just needs to be in the project. Errors stop when there's no more CustomPropertyDrawer attribute used in the library code - all else fails - even if the property drawer has no OnGUI overriden.

Adding a script in Unity itself as a wrapper
    Code (csharp):
    1. [CustomPropertyDrawer(typeof(ToggleButtonAttribute))]
    2. public class ToggleButtonWrapper : ToggleButtonAttributeDrawer { }
    seems to make issue go away, however I find it unnecessary hassle and hope there's a way to make it work directly from DLL.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  2. shawn

shawn

Unity Technologies

Interesting... sounds like you might have encountered a bug here. Could you report a bug with a project and dll in question? After reporting, post the case number here and we can dig into it.

3. TehGM

TehGM

Yes, I'll try to strip the project down a bit soon so it's smaller and less messy and then send you the files.

4. shawn

shawn

Unity Technologies

Thanks!

5. TehGM

TehGM

First of all, sorry for (very) late reply now. I got really busy with other things.
    I copied project folder and started deleting things today - however, I noticed there's no error now. I checked the main, unstripped project too, restarted editor as well, and there's no error.
    Should I send the smaller one with deleted things anyway for more investigation? I will keep eye out for the same issue happening again and will send asap then, can't promise how fast will this happen, though.