Search Unity

Promotion of new apps on Google Play

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by STEFZIV, Oct 21, 2016.

1. STEFZIV

STEFZIV

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Meltdown likes this.
  2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Have you marketed the game any?
    Have you constructively considered reasons the game isnt getting any attention?
    If youd like some feedback on this - constructive criticism is available here.

As for the question you asked - it really doesnt make much sense. How many times did you need to start getting downloads?
    All the time - constantly promote the product - until it doesnt need your help either by popularity/mass appeal or until it is obvious - its not liked by anybody.

vakabaka, Martin_H and Kiwasi like this.
  3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

As a general rule you'll need to spend about as much time as you did developing the game on the marketing size. Normally you would want to start that before a planned release.

Having a good product is only the first step. And your screen shot appears to be horribly lacking on that front too.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. Player7

Player7

In the not so famous words of S** H*** "No Video, No Brains" the point is that.. you should really have a video not just images for anything anywhere that allows putting up a video instead or along with images for promoting whatever thing you're doing.

You can't just assume people will download or let alone buy something on just an image, and yeh the game GUI's looks like a bit of a mess, no idea what effort went into it, maybe you did all the 3d modelling texturing on everything.. or not.. without a video its hard to tell if there would be better aspects to your game or how the gameplay actually is, than just what that not so good image shows.

Also Google's play store is fking sh-ttt like most of what google is these days, but that's not your problem here for the 0 downloads.

Martin_H and Ryiah like this.
  5. sb944

sb944

Great job on getting the game out there, there are some really good signs here, especially for a 15yo. Here are my thoughts:
    * Don't worry about the money or downloads yet!
    * Clean up the menus. The menu navigation should be simple for this game, yet I found myself wondering how to start a game with no credits. Work on making the menus more attractive too
    * Add a theme to the levels. At the moment, the levels are too bland to look at. I don't think you need to do all that much. A couple of ideas. Rather than just a 3D block to run on, you could be running on building rooftops. To mix it up a bit, after completing a few levels, the background could change to another city. To really add polish, you could have the goal of conquering each city, think of Angry Birds for the level complete/whole area complete look and feel. Another idea is to have buildings on the side of where you are running, so like you are running down an alley. This would hide the blank background, and give the player the feeling they are running in a city. The objects to jump could be rivers/side roads. Again, sometimes this could change, like in a set of levels you are running through a city, in another it's through a jungle, in another it's through a mountain tunnel.
    * Finally, you need to make this bug free. Unless I'm missing something, I wasn't dying when I missed a jump, but if I kept hitting controls, I eventually dropped low enough to die. That is a showstopping bug, and an instant turn off for a downloader.

Sorry, can't help much with marketing, I haven't reached that point in my project yet. But I've still created twitter and facebook accounts, and am actively using them trying to get some followers. You can easily pick up some devs with hashtags like #madewithunity or #indiedev, follow other devs there too.

Finally, I want to acknowledge you have made a huge effort here, and have already got a lot further on than most people do. You are already in the top 5% just by getting something up on the app store, so congrats for that. But now that you achieved this, it's time to aim higher again. Get to it!

6. I_Am_DreReid

I_Am_DreReid

Did you spend any time doing marketing??

7. sb944

sb944

And sorry, just to clarify why this is way more important than downloads right now.

As indie developers, we compare our resources against that of a studio, and our default opinion is we should be cut a little slack for not having their time/budget/experience.

But the average downloader doesn't know you, doesn't know your resources, all they know is what is in front of them, and if they leave a rating, it's going to be based on what they see, not who you are and how much work you've put into it.

So your default opinion of how people are going to review your game should be that they won't be cutting you any slack. Therefore, you want to get the game to a better level before getting this game noticed.

8. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Some good advice above - but the game looks like a hot mess - with 6 different styles thrown together, into a badly lit environment with big button UI laid on top.
    Similar to what BoredMormon stated - having an appealing product - helps with marketing. If the game doesn't look good, people are going to pass on it - to look for something that does look good.
    The laptop is a problem, but your time effort either needs to be used to create a better looking game - or create a game that has a 'style' that you can create with your limited time, effort and computer.

Since the basis of marketing is first - having a good game, until you reach that point - talking about other efforts to 'market' this is kind of a waste of time.

Kiwasi likes this.
  9. Ed6689

Ed6689

Man...app promotion can be rough. You gotta invest a lot of time and money in marketing. Do you have a budget? I would start with having some sort of ASO strategy. Do whatever you can in terms of your apps description, keywords, graphics. Did you A/B test?

if you don't have a budget start with doing things you can do on your own like creating content or trying to get traffic through social media. It may not give you that many results. If you got money try paid advertising. I for sure agree with what sb944 said. People who download or look at your game don't know you or understand how you invested in the app.It's a brutal competitive world out there and if you want to stand a chance you gotta have a great , appealing, unique game.

Test your creatives, make your game the best it can be and than invest in marketing. Good luck!

10. Tomasz_Pasterski

Tomasz_Pasterski

Honestly, from the user point of view this game is nowhere near being attractive, maybe instead of asking about marketing work some more on this game cause:
    - visuals are bad,
    - gameplay is shallow even for a mobile game.
    Again visual are like prototype level of developement.

As an gamer and user of app store i ignore many games with better visuals and more complex than yours simply because they still was not attractive even to hit intall and try them out.

Do not be offended but games like yours are plague of mobile market and never should be released instead they need to be pushed to prototype phase.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  11. Aleeyuago

Aleeyuago

what bout my own here it is called "ONE MAN SURVIVAL" I UPLOADED IT TO GOOGLE PLAY ON FIRST JAN, 2018 BUT STILL NO ANY DOWNLOAD

Attached Files: