Search Unity

Projectile with controlled velocity and angle (Like in Worms)

Discussion in '2D' started by ddripper, Oct 23, 2016.

1. ddripper

ddripper

Hello there. I'm a beginner in Unity and I'm stuck with this particular issue (I couldn't find the answer to this, so I'm posting this here)
    So I'm trying to make a 2D turn based 'snowball fight' game where the 2 players gets turns to throw snowballs at each other.
    As the title suggests, I am having a hard time figuring out a script which allows the player to throw a projectile with controlled velocity at a particular angle, just like in Worms Armageddon, where the longer you hold the key, the greater is the velocity of the projectile.
    I would really be grateful if you could help me with this.
    Thank you for your time.

2. kozle

kozle

You can calculate angle from player coordinates and mouse click coordinates. Take a look at http://www.vitutor.com/geometry/vec/angle_vectors.html

For calculating force of a throw, you need to get the time difference of mouseDOWN and mouseUP, then apply that amount of force to the object.

ddripper likes this.
  3. piggybank1974

piggybank1974

Atan or atan2 should give you the angle I believe also, kozle idea for force sounds a good one to me but I would also clamp it so it can't get to higher value.